Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
BFL ex-employee reminiscing about the past in the bitcointalk thread. the same guy who made a testimony in the FTC case, i think

quote:

It was due to the two hispanic employees that were in production Omar and Jannette.. Turns out they were running production like a sweatshop.. They hired all their friends and family, of course hispanic.. it made for some awesome lunch food tho -- they liked to share.. But Jannette was lying to employees, threatening them, confiscating cell phones... So Omar and Janette told them all in spanish they'd all been fired and tried to get the entire production staff to walk out -- they almost did.

After that they moved to temp services paying the largely black and mexican crew they hired, minimum wage, to put the stuff together. Oddly enough the shipping bay was mostly white, overworked, and largely under appreciated.

quote:

(asked about the NDA)

mainly covered technical stuff that i don't understand, but could have pulled up if i had been so inclined and spoke to the right people, like the delayed pcb schematics for the 65 nm devices, or like talking about monarch development in a thread like this. there were some other items, but unfortunately, BFL didn't provide us with a copy, which they should have done. i've actually been meaning to contact the receiver to have a copy mailed to me.

anytime you sign anykind of agreement, you're supposed to also be issued a copy. BFL was bad about compliance in this area. i'd say it would be easy to get a copy now, but before (when i wasn't actually all that interested), i'm sure it would have been like pulling teeth, with a bunch of questions to boot as to why i wanted one.

the items covered would applied more to the IT group and those in manufacturing.. Hell, who knows, I may have broken a clause I've forgotten about by now, but am not super concerned. I think they have other problems to worry about. ;)

quote:

(asked about deliberate failure of EU compliance)

[...] the shipping department, and Jody, were under the impression that our shipping consultants would be correct about export measures to the EU [...]

I did a short search and found the EU SAD, which clearly states what must be on the outside of the box and which documentation should be on the inside. this issues wasn't delaying shipping per se, but rather causing customers to have their items confiscated by customs and held. In the case of Germany, this meant 1) the product would simply be sent back (sometimes they took issue with the unlikely authenticity of the CE sticker, too), or 2) it meant that the product would be sent to their equivalent of the the Federal Communications Commission, which would have put the device through such grueling tests that it would have been destroyed.

You are correct that it DID provide BFL with a scapegoat, at least for a short time. As I tried to explain the issue over time, a ton of stupid poo poo was said, and I don't think I feel like writing another book this evening. After a couple months, however, EU customers were wise to the fact that the error was on the side of BFL. This neglect of actually using proper procedure also led to some customers being charged VAT on RMAs, which in some cases, mainly in Scandinavia meant they would have had to pay a poo poo ton of loot.

At any rate the stalling happened well before this process.

[...]

The EU issue was really one of willful ignorance. The mentality was that if the consultants said it should work, then it must be the countries of destination giving BFL a hard time (in support of your first hypothetical). much later, after it was no longer an issue, they discovered that me and the other employee had be right all along, and that the consulting firm had made errors, which they disclosed. BFL also had neglected to follow certain export procedures during that whole time.

[...] In summation, the smoking gun is the delays due to burn-in and giving institutional buyers preference in the so-called queue. I don't think I need to prove my credentials as a critic of their business practices, so I'll end by saying that I do think that they honestly expected the EU exports to make it through customs with no problems. [...]

Since the changes that needed to be made were time-consuming, and weren't pre-loaded in the software, after speaking with and being reassured by the consulting firm that everything was kosher, I was simply treated like an idiot, and since I was part of customer service anyhow, i was reminded by my supervisor, as well as a rather nosy employee, that my duties didn't cover exports. with that said, after being told to back off, i always found it amusing when someone would bring a box to me and i'd translate the citations, pointing out that they were the same as before, and that regardless of what the consultant said, the problem still persisted.

after 2-3 months of this, as November drew near, they were able to take another approach to get certain customs agencies in countries like Germany to back off a little, though not before the region of Mittel-Franken (Central Franconia in Bavaria) sent a notice that they would block BFL imports, also providing a list of remedies that would have actually been rather easy to undertake for a normal company. I doubt that document made it beyond the desk of the person who had me translate it for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Bit451: not even YouTube is safe from the relentless decentralizing force of the blockchain (bit451.org)
soumis 3 minutes ago par shea256

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Magrov posted:

BFL ex-employee reminiscing about the past in the bitcointalk thread. the same guy who made a testimony in the FTC case, i think

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that thread is a real loving shitshow. all josh does is say he's not going to acknowledge "useless" people, then proceeds to spend like 50 posts arguing with some old man named bruce who crossdresses at bdsm conventions

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

FMguru posted:

he was the freethinking golem, right? the fact that the discworld's more prominent atheist had a lightning-proof baked clay body was extremely infuriating to the gods

there was another one in small gods that everyone would start scooting away from when he went on his atheist diatribes because the gods occasionally have bad aim

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

Best B#$*h - 77 year old BITCOIN Rapper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md4cPHFBeiU

did i miss something or did that have nothign to do with bitcoin.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

uranus posted:

did i miss something or did that have nothign to do with bitcoin.

the artists name is BITCOIN and that's it
bitcoiners seem to like it anyway

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

there was another one in small gods that everyone would start scooting away from when he went on his atheist diatribes because the gods occasionally have bad aim

Small Gods is Pratchett's finest work. a lot of the new books don't really work for me that well. might be because he suffers from "bitcoin brain", a.k.a. severe dementia.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
NOT the bitcoin subreddit:

[–]Random1DollarTip 7 points 25 days ago
Here is a $1 tip! /u/changetip

[–]kumi_netsuha 5 points 25 days ago
oh my the bitcoin changetip spam really has gotten bad hasn't it

[–]Ovan15[S] 1 point 24 days ago
How might I stop it or prevent it from showing up on future posts?

[–]kumi_netsuha 1 point 24 days ago
I don't think you can, it's just a bot that picks a random thread and posts a dollar on it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Proteus4994 posted:

NOT the bitcoin subreddit:

[–]Random1DollarTip 7 points 25 days ago
Here is a $1 tip! /u/changetip

[–]kumi_netsuha 5 points 25 days ago
oh my the bitcoin changetip spam really has gotten bad hasn't it

[–]Ovan15[S] 1 point 24 days ago
How might I stop it or prevent it from showing up on future posts?

[–]kumi_netsuha 1 point 24 days ago
I don't think you can, it's just a bot that picks a random thread and posts a dollar on it

lol. their fears of a bitcoin ai going out of control are already being realized

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

computer toucher posted:

Small Gods is Pratchett's finest work. a lot of the new books don't really work for me that well. might be because he suffers from "bitcoin brain", a.k.a. severe dementia.

that was bad and you should feel bad

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Boxturret posted:

that was bad and you should feel bad

yeah everyone knows bitcoin brain is heat-induced dementia

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

computer toucher posted:

actually its guards guards but i understand your confusion

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Beware of returning items bought on purse.io (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 24 minutes ago by allinfinite

Bought a $200 drill via purse.io .. the item was from a '3rd party seller' I ended up returning the drill and had to pay for shipping.. amazon says you must go through the seller in this case.. everything was all good.. I contacted the seller to make sure he received the item and told me he already refunded it... to the original payment card... UH OHH! Now, I've contacted the buyer, no reply.. amazon said 'wish lists are for friends and relatives' and they can't help me.. purse can't do anything.. the seller said he contacted the buyer and will get back to me.. I hope he replies and does the right thing but wanted to warn people of making the same mistake I did.. for now, I lost $230 :-(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
holy poo poo! my rube goldbergian purchase system failed in an unexpected way when i tried to do the one thing you absolutely cannot do with bitcoins; get a refund.

whoever could have seen this coming?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://vimeo.com/110611531
i like their slogan

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My campus atheist club accepts bitcoin! (i.imgur.com)
submitted an hour ago by stewey2000

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Beware of returning items bought on purse.io (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 24 minutes ago by allinfinite

Bought a $200 drill via purse.io .. the item was from a '3rd party seller' I ended up returning the drill and had to pay for shipping.. amazon says you must go through the seller in this case.. everything was all good.. I contacted the seller to make sure he received the item and told me he already refunded it... to the original payment card... UH OHH! Now, I've contacted the buyer, no reply.. amazon said 'wish lists are for friends and relatives' and they can't help me.. purse can't do anything.. the seller said he contacted the buyer and will get back to me.. I hope he replies and does the right thing but wanted to warn people of making the same mistake I did.. for now, I lost $230 :-(

I had to look up purse.io because I couldn't remember wtf it did

quote:

Purse.io is a peer-to-peer marketplace that matches customers wishing to purchase bitcoin using their credit cards or gift cards and with bitcoin holders who want to spend their cryptocurrency with retail giant Amazon.

As a simple example of how it works, say Alice wants to spend $50-worth of bitcoin on Amazon. She makes a wishlist for her item and posts it on the Purse marketplace, placing the correct amount of bitcoin in escrow.

Bob wants to buy $50 of bitcoin, so he accepts the order, and pays with credit/debit card or gift card. When the items arrive with Alice, she notifies the website and the bitcoin is released from escrow to Bob.

simple

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

the rocks are the most valuable thing in this picture

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FCKGW posted:

nice. even stealing hydro from the school to power their coffee machine and payment system.

yup they're bitcoiners alright

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
i love every "organized group of atheists" picture i have ever seen

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I had to look up purse.io because I couldn't remember wtf it did

simple

it's actually nothing more than a way to launder stolen credit cards and the owners are in on it :ssh:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
btw i meant to mention this yesterday, but I think Markov Karpales would be the greatest buttcoinfoundation.org gimmick account and I totally think you should do it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

i love every "organized group of atheists" picture i have ever seen

those groups always seemed embarrassing and pointless

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Improbable Lobster posted:

those groups always seemed embarrassing and pointless

they're basically MENSA "we are smarter than other people" meetings but without an intelligence test to get in, so...

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Some wonderful Bitcoin music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md4cPHFBeiU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
e: wrong thread

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

theflyingorc posted:

actually its guards guards but i understand your confusion

actually its alzheimers

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

unpacked robinhood posted:

Bit451: not even YouTube is safe from the relentless decentralizing force of the blockchain (bit451.org)
soumis 3 minutes ago par shea256

Let me guess, Farenheit 451 is the temperature I should expect my mining rig to run at?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Proteus4994 posted:

btw i meant to mention this yesterday, but I think Markov Karpales would be the greatest buttcoinfoundation.org gimmick account and I totally think you should do it.

gently caress that, I want some articles by Tibanne the Cat

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Written in the loving cat macro language, whatever it's called. Jesus.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
wait how does the purse thing give discounts if it's a dollar to dollar equivalence

ur avi makes me happy

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

ur avi makes me happy

ty me too

i laughed at your user name

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
wayback wednesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9jC0TP-Yug

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

when did sam hyde get into bitcoins

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oh god that means ive been loling at bitcoin for three loving years

wtf is wrong with me

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

As a Millennial I posted:

when did sam hyde get into bitcoins

sam hyde is an angry, stupid, young white bastard. sam hyde is bitcoin incarnate. sam hyde sent himself back in time in order to create himself and stop The Feminist Agenda from destroying all tentacle anime card games. sam hyde is a national frikkin hero and. . . and he deserves our respect, dang it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

the rocks are the most valuable thing in this picture

I've heard people swear by Dunkin Donuts coffee for some reason

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Alan Smithee posted:

these are bad people, use the rocks to kill them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

it's better than starbucks but that's a low bar to climb

• Locked thread