Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
I cleared out mythical Naga defenders with 4 human archers and 2 priests. I was druid though so they all had monster slayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It's a long way off, but just out of curiosity, is anyone besides me planning on trying out PBEM when it's released? Wasn't really my bag back in the old days but I want to see how it plays and it would be cool to get some big goon games going with lots of players.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

madmac posted:

It's a long way off, but just out of curiosity, is anyone besides me planning on trying out PBEM when it's released? Wasn't really my bag back in the old days but I want to see how it plays and it would be cool to get some big goon games going with lots of players.

Not quite on your level, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
I'm down. PBEM may not be ideal but it does have advantages. Games will be much easier to set up and run.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'd play. PBEM is the only way I could ever make it through a whole multiplayer game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

madmac posted:

I was very sad when it wasn't in yet, in point of fact.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Does PBEM mean that all battles get auto-resolved or that whenever two players fight everyone else has to wait, potentially, several days for a resolution?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Does PBEM mean that all battles get auto-resolved or that whenever two players fight everyone else has to wait, potentially, several days for a resolution?

PBEM basically allows you to play the game singleplayer classical turns style except for battles with other players, which are autoresolved.

Mind you, auto-resolve in this game consists of the AI actually fighting itself using your respective armies, so figuring out how to make the AI work with you and your army composition will become more important then ever.

So you get all the time in the world to cheese fights against the AI, manage your Empire and sneak units around but fights with other players are always a gamble since you can't rely on tactical finesse to overcome a strength disadvantage. It's a very different style of play then online multiplayer and lends itself better to big maps and long games.

quote:

Not quite on your level, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Heh, if anything I expect to get dogpiled and lose every game just from name recognition.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The AI uses mobile ranged units well, like irregulars and cannons. It does ok with tough melee tanks. Anything with more finesse (squishy melee flankers, cavalry, status effect combos) it doesn't really pull off, so as long as you have an army of muskets and firstborn your AI controlled squads will wreck face. If they are assassins and nymphs they will get stomped into the ground. Cavalry basically die in the very first fight you put them in autoresolve. This is an improvement over previous AI behavior with cavalry, where it suicided them so fast it went back in time and deleted them before you were able to build them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

With connectivity to steam, it's a shame PBEM can't ping the players involved in a tactical battle and let them play live.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Triskelli posted:

With connectivity to steam, it's a shame PBEM can't ping the players involved in a tactical battle and let them play live.

I still really really really really really really really want the ability to control neutral/ai forces as an opposing player. Would make duel games amazingly fun.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
My abilities in multiplayer would probably be at or slightly below the neutral AI, so I'd be up for that when PBEM comes. :buddy:

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

victrix posted:

I still really really really really really really really want the ability to control neutral/ai forces as an opposing player. Would make duel games amazingly fun.

I was thinking both players would just use the neutrals to kamikaze against soft targets and/or the leader, but....that's exactly what the AI does anyway.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Carnalfex posted:

I was thinking both players would just use the neutrals to kamikaze against soft targets and/or the leader, but....that's exactly what the AI does anyway.

Doesn't really matter, if you're playing with friends, you can have gentlemans agreements on how you use them, and if not, anything they can do, you can do too.

Main thing is it would make every combat encounter entertaining - and you'd get to play with really fun monster stacks.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The idea is pretty entertaining for sure. If we're looking for something to do during manual combats in multiplayer I'd much rather have the other players able to continue their turns, but playing with monsters would be really fun in a two person game.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Clearing out player controlled bandit camps would be pretty :suicide:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Make it require consent from the opponent, bam, You only have yourself to blame! :getin:

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Honestly it could be taken to the next step and just add in a skirmish / arena mode where either team can simply start a battle with X value worth of units, with up to four players on each side, and a choice of maps.

Other similar games have done that and it is a pretty great way to quickly get into the meat of the action. That being said a fair amount of aow3 units are balanced around strategic movement, attrition, concealment, and other abilities that would be meaningless in that sort of gameplay.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Was playing against a Dreadnaught AI and everytime our giant armies clashed he would one shot one of my newbie heroes with his cannons and juggernauts before I could move.

That sucks, but eh, however on the next turn he could revive my own hero against me where he died, what ability causes that?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 9, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Was playing against a Dreadnaught AI and everytime our giant armies clashed he would one shot one of my newbie heroes with his cannons and juggernauts before I could move.

That sucks, but eh, however on the next turn he could revive my own hero against me where he died, what ability causes that?

There's a Secret Spell called "True Resurrection" you can get from clearing a Wizard's Tower. It lets you resurrect any dead unit on the battlefield under your control.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ah, I had a feeling it had to be some sneaky wizard stuff.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Secret Spells are super-rare. I only really even see them when the AI uses them on me after beating me to Sage. I'm not positive I even know what they all are.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
The other thing about secret spells is that by murphy's law you are sure to only get the useless ones if you do get any. The AI will always end up getting true rez or summon phoenix, but if you get a secret spell you can be sure it will be summon kobold/penguin. For some reason tier 1 spells can be rewards for top end dungeons.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm pretty sure Summon Kobold is the only secret spell guys.

And Fell Horse is the only mount.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Couple things I've noticed, the AI never, ever builds a arcane forge or probably knows how to use item forging, when it took over one of my cities, the arcane forge was the only thing it tore down.

I've also noticed you can kind of cheese the empire quests, you rush down pure evil as fast as you can, declare war on independents and showing no mercy to guards and migrate as many cities as possible, you should reach pure evil by turn 20-25, faster if you declared war on everyone you met, and get a stack of three strong tier 2 monsters, then by turn 25-30 you should have the 6 cities of the same race quest for two tier 3's making a army that outclasses almost everyone else in the world at that time.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When the game first came out, the treasure tables were bugged to only give common items or some such. I played halfway through the Elven Court Campaign armed with nothing but vicious shortswords, leaf shields, and mountains of Unicorn mounts.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Cleared my first {STR_StructureName} Naga are pretty easy to clear if you got good archers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Summon Kobold is my favorite secret spell.

I alwys get Killer Instinct instead. :(

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Zore posted:

Summon Kobold is my favorite secret spell.

I alwys get Killer Instinct instead. :(

I always get summon dire penguin. I'd like that spell to changed to a battlefield enchantment that summons dire penguins every turn. You get the joy of dire penguins without the disappointment of summoning a dire penguin. Drown your enemies in murderous vampire penguins.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Theswarms posted:

I always get summon dire penguin. I'd like that spell to changed to a battlefield enchantment that summons dire penguins every turn. You get the joy of dire penguins without the disappointment of summoning a dire penguin. Drown your enemies in murderous vampire penguins.

Call it March of the Penguins.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Call it March of the Penguins.

This needs to happen in the expansion.

Are there any recommended settings for playing with one or two friends on multiplayer for maximum fun-having?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Couple things I've noticed, the AI never, ever builds a arcane forge or probably knows how to use item forging, when it took over one of my cities, the arcane forge was the only thing it tore down.

I've also noticed you can kind of cheese the empire quests, you rush down pure evil as fast as you can, declare war on independents and showing no mercy to guards and migrate as many cities as possible, you should reach pure evil by turn 20-25, faster if you declared war on everyone you met, and get a stack of three strong tier 2 monsters, then by turn 25-30 you should have the 6 cities of the same race quest for two tier 3's making a army that outclasses almost everyone else in the world at that time.

Doing the opposite, asking for peace with AI and buying independents towns, I have been able to get pure good by turn 5 as a rogue with courtesans. Then used those gold wyverns and unicorns to flip completely 180 and go full evilmurder, suiciding them in combat once my alignment completely tanked. Good times.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This needs to happen in the expansion.

Are there any recommended settings for playing with one or two friends on multiplayer for maximum fun-having?

Try Sulanar's maps on the workshop, the coop pack and the 3 way FFA are pretty solid funtimes. The monstrous AI challenge he still seems to update frequently, still a WiP. I think he tried to design them so the coop players could regularly fight with their armies together, helping to mitigate the annoyance of having to wait for manual combats by having both of you join in the fun.

If you just want to RNG I would recommend small/medium maps with no underground so you have a chance to finish them in one sitting, but that's just my taste. I like being able to actually finish a game.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 10, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

Secret Spells are super-rare. I only really even see them when the AI uses them on me after beating me to Sage. I'm not positive I even know what they all are.

I discovered recently that the drop sets for secret spells had been set up wrongly, so that in many cases only the crappier spells will drop. I went through the sets and removed most of the crappier spells and fixed the settings, but you'll have to wait for the next patch I'm afraid :(

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I feel like Gerblyn is a one-man army of talent and game design that makes Age of Wonders III as good as it is.

Side note: can anyone speak to the balance or lack thereof in Endless Legend? Its approach to diplomacy is interesting, and I understand that the combat is far inferior to AoW, but does it work as more of a peacenik's game?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Impermanent posted:

I feel like Gerblyn is a one-man army of talent and game design that makes Age of Wonders III as good as it is.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Impermanent posted:

Side note: can anyone speak to the balance or lack thereof in Endless Legend? Its approach to diplomacy is interesting, and I understand that the combat is far inferior to AoW, but does it work as more of a peacenik's game?

It's not about peace, it's just that it's much more focused on large-scale empire management (which includes military buildup) rather than tactical combat. In that regard it's much deeper and more developed than AoW, but that's not an indictment of either game since they aren't trying to do the same thing. If you Civilization and other 4x games with more abstract combat Endless Legends seems like a great pickup. I haven't played enough of it to say anything concrete about balance but the races tend to have very strongly defined gimmicks that make them play differently from each other beyond one having +Science and the other having +Industry. It actually breathes a lot of fresh ideas into the formula.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Impermanent posted:

I think it helps to use Something Awful as a resource, as long as you apply a pinch of moderation to what you take in and what you discard as "Like, your opinion, man." ;) It helps that, while SA is the worst place on the internet, it's also pretty honest from what i've seen regarding game development.

Endless Legend prefers its balance to be "Fun, but not.", for example, the Argent Mages(?) baseline trait spending is HALF the total budget available to them! Thankfully you can create variant factions of the main ones with your choice of traits, so that helps level the playing field by medium of making everything "strong."

Endless Legend also has multiple victory conditions, and one of them is forcing peace upon others if you play as the Dragonic race. :smaug:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659888

Heres the thread, as far as my opinion goes, Get this game if you like devouring new settings for their tastey flavour and setting. Endless Legend has a pretty rich world in that regard. :getin:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Endless Legend shames Beyond Earth with its setting and the general quality of the faction and world characterization. It's also a fun game. If you want something more on the empire builder end of the spectrum get it. AoW3 is where I go when I want fun tactical combat and shitloads of variety for said combat.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Thyrork posted:

I think it helps to use Something Awful as a resource, as long as you apply a pinch of moderation to what you take in and what you discard as "Like, your opinion, man." ;) It helps that, while SA is the worst place on the internet, it's also pretty honest from what i've seen regarding game development.

Endless Legend prefers its balance to be "Fun, but not.", for example, the Argent Mages(?) baseline trait spending is HALF the total budget available to them! Thankfully you can create variant factions of the main ones with your choice of traits, so that helps level the playing field by medium of making everything "strong."

Endless Legend also has multiple victory conditions, and one of them is forcing peace upon others if you play as the Dragonic race. :smaug:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659888

Heres the thread, as far as my opinion goes, Get this game if you like devouring new settings for their tastey flavour and setting. Endless Legend has a pretty rich world in that regard. :getin:

There are some serious rough edges with the balancing in Endless Legends. Like I said, I haven't played enough to know how big a deal that is, but I can think of a few specific examples I've noticed already. Quite a few of the factions, if you were to recreate them with the custom faction editor, come in having a whole lot of points left over. the Broken Lords, who are souls trapped in suits of armor powered by money and draining the life force of the living, only use 55/80 points, for example. However, from playing a game with them they absolutely didn't seem weak, so it feels more like a case of the point buy system not having its costs balanced appropriately (but when has that ever happened?). I've also stumbled across some garbage units and abilities. Shields, for example, come with useful stat boosts, but their Block ability offers an absolutely trivial amount of protection (the best shields in the game will have something like +8 when even units who aren't trying terribly hard to be defensive can easily be well into the 100+ range). Similarly, the Broken Lords have a cavalry unit called the Ryder that ends up being severely underwhelming because it's on-hit life drain effect, meant to be a defining aspect of the unit, does an even more pitiful amount of damage and healing, to the point where it might as well not exist.

These aren't game breaking issues since you still have a fully functional game left when you just don't use the items and units that are bad (how often do you build Razorbows?), but if they're letting things that obvious slide through I wouldn't be surprised if there are deeper issues that I merely haven't uncovered yet.

It's still a really good game, especially since competitive balance isn't generally a super high priority in that kind of 4x, and the fact that manual combat isn't really the core of the game the way it is with AoW III means you don't lose much autoresolving things in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The research seems rather RNG heavy doesn't it? was starting to wonder if I even took expander as one of my specializations until turn 50 when one of the expander abilities popped up behind a 600 research ability.

I had been pretty active in clearing any 1 turn researches too.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 11, 2014

• Locked thread