Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Khello, i yam Ukrainie scientist and weapons developer, my name cardan, I refuse to engage synapses unless a person directly infront of me carries nothing less tyhan unopened vodka of favourite type because reason, hav stronk dey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Cardan is an alcoholic. I've had many friends with substance abuse problems and the alcoholics don't tend to be particularly discerning with what they drink, only that they can get it.

There's a reason they denature ethanol, after all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think I fixed the class problem, it was Les Miserables not Misery actually. Its installation instructions are out of order I think--it has a general gamedata folder and then one specific to your class, but it tells you to copy the one for your class first and then the general gamedata, but it should be the other way around. I copied USS sniper over it and now my weapon proficiencies are correct.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I think I fixed the class problem, it was Les Miserables not Misery actually. Its installation instructions are out of order I think--it has a general gamedata folder and then one specific to your class, but it tells you to copy the one for your class first and then the general gamedata, but it should be the other way around. I copied USS sniper over it and now my weapon proficiencies are correct.

Good to know for future reference, then.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

a better bug: When Tremor tried to shoot himself at the end of the missing stalker quest, something the mod changed made his gun be empty so it just clicked and then he fell over. However this apparently made it forget to remove his shop inventory, so he had all of his medical supplies still on his body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MF1KbxHWZg

Also what is this doing up here.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 7, 2014

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Killswitch posted:

This is a known bug, iirc the "fix" is to reload from before Limansk, go back in and ignore the wounded guys up by the fountain, just advance straight into the ambush and all will be peachy again :) Remember to save after the ambush, of course.

This is a page or two late but thanks! I ended up playing CoP again and, while great, is something I've done a few too many times at this point. :tipshat:

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Also what is this doing up here.

Looks like he's just sunbathing, catching some radioactive rays.

Hello Goons,
I wish to play STALKER again, I was obsessed with MISERY 2 but I'm wondering what else is out there. Is there anything with a new campaign? It'd be nice to play through a new story. Lost Alpha looked promising but I've heard people say it's actually quite dull gameplay wise.

tl:dr Recommend me a mod

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Jarf posted:

Hello Goons,
I wish to play STALKER again, I was obsessed with MISERY 2 but I'm wondering what else is out there. Is there anything with a new campaign? It'd be nice to play through a new story. Lost Alpha looked promising but I've heard people say it's actually quite dull gameplay wise.

For Call of Pripyat:

SGM adds tons of new content across the board, but is put together with string and chewed gum. Expect three bugs for every piece of new content. Some of the content also hasn't been implemented very well conceptually.

Shoker is a solid all-around mod. I don't remember if it adds any new campaign feature, but it certainly adds new weapons and makes the game run crazy smooth.

Arsenal Overhaul adds new weapons and not much else, IIRC. Definitely a good mod, but if you're looking for new plotlines then I'd say look elsewhere.

Winter of Death has a new plot and is set during wintertime in the Zone, which is at least aesthetically new, but it's also a huge resource hog that brought my computer to its knees.

I'd say go through this guy's ModDB page and pick something that sounds interesting. He does pretty good work translating Russian mods, so you're bound to find something you like.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Oblivion Lost is a pretty decent one that I just gave a shot. My only real gripe is that the wildlife seems to crop up to bug you at all the wrong times. One thing I really like is it fixes the knife issues so when you, say, knife the sentry in Freedom it won't raise the alarm unless someone is watching you do it. Introduces a handful of new weapons, overhauls the old ones (the VSS is even more awesome than before and holds 30 rounds, the "storming Okobon" you pick up in Dark valley or off the bandit in the Agropom is pretty much one of the better damned rifles in the came and sports a 45 round mag. Seriously, scope that bitch and it makes a damned fine sniper/assault gun that puts out from near the start of the game). Also has a handful of new mutants. New suits with better upgrades, traders are a bit more versatile in what they offer and will take and all offer to repair gear. Blowouts, random placed anomolies, fixed lighting on some maps like the red Forest isn't always dim to dark, all the NPCs and a-life react better to the environment and adapt rather than run the old straight predictable lines. There's random communications of what's going on in places through the PDA system (the military is released in this mod so they preform more raids on random holdouts. Mercs are also more active in attacking places. Bandits also get a bit more raid-ish and aggressive). Some locked off map transfers are now open from the start like the one from Cordon to the Dark Valley and works both ways so you can leave and enter.
Best of all I don't get a lot of stutter any more. It's run pretty damned smooth and loads areas and the game a lot faster.

Had fun borking the mission in the warehouse area for duty to raid Freedom. Knifed all the snipers and by the time I made it down, duty had started to work, alerted Freedom and while they were blowing the wall most of Freedom had come around outside and attacked them from behind. downside is skinflint was the first to die.
The lab in Dark Valley has a bunch of mutants added so it's a bit more challenging and once unlocked releases the Dwarfs to raid the Garbage map.

I guess the overall goal was to turn it more into the style of the pre release game before they cut a bunch of poo poo
http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&thm_page=2&thm_id=12491&sec_id=17&offset=300
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/540331-stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl/44268090/484842787

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 7, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Any updates on Call of Chernobyl or OGSE 0.6.9.3?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Arsenal overhaul 2.4 Is amazing. Micro stutters are mostly gone and I've only had one several second hitch. I do have that prefetch option on though

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cantorsdust posted:

Any updates on Call of Chernobyl or OGSE 0.6.9.3?

Call of Chernobyl is nearing release (1-2 months max) and the new OGSE will be released by January.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jarf posted:

Hello Goons,

Redux was my favorite mod before Misery 1.0 released. It doesn't change as much as Misery but it does feel challenging and has a lot of good things about it (for example it actually adds a lot of new artifacts, unlike every single other mod I played).

They're making a Redux 2.0 right now but the mod page says they're going to have a new name for it later. Looks like it's going to add new areas and quests, as well as new suits, weapons, graphics, monster looting, items etc. One thing I'm not thrilled about is they seem to want to make you actually micro individual magazines in your inventory which sounds possibly worse than Misery 2.0 if they do it wrong. Hopefully it will be optional or less needless hassle than it looks from the video.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 7, 2014

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I quite like Autumn Aurora for SOC, it looks very pretty and the hud changes (no ammo counter, no noise/sighting indicator) are a nice extra layer of challenge without being stupid hard- forces you to pay that bit more attention and I find it adds to the immersion. Not a major overhaul but when you install you can choose time of autumn and from a couple of different scope styles from other mods, such as Misery style. Lots of new music and a tweakable in game menu so you can instantly adjust graphics settings and see the effect the changes have. Just remember to delete most of the dialogue audio files it adds to gamedata unless you understand spoken Russian! (Easy to find which to delete via Google)

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I resumed my game in TFW Clear Sky and joined the Mercs, and now the loading screen goes black whenever I try to load a save or leave Yantar. I played as a loner for like 15 hours with no serious issues and I'm also still able to load those pre-Mercs saves without any problems. For some reason joining their faction is crashing my game. Does anyone know what the issue might be?

e: seems like it's not limited to the mercs, since I joined Clear Sky as a test and the same thing happened.

folgore fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 8, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Maybe you're not welcome in Yantar anymore. It's trying to keep you in so they can kill you and prevent you from loading a save to come back.

In other words, "Get out of here, Stalker"

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Hey E.Nigma, got a crash after shooting the bandit dudes that wanted that guy in Yanov's money. AO 2.4 Full with both patch and addon.

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression : l_tpALifeInventoryItem
[error]Function : add_online_impl
[error]File : .\alife_trader_abstract.cpp
[error]Line : 172
[error]Description : Non inventory item object has parent?!

stack trace:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Got my Survarium invite. :toot: I just realized how goofy the name is.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Azran posted:

Got my Survarium invite. :toot: I just realized how goofy the name is.

You see, you need to survive in the terrarium that the planet has become

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Whats are some good vanilla+ mods for Call of Pripyat? Also is Misery not infuriating anymore?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dbzfandiego posted:

Whats are some good vanilla+ mods for Call of Pripyat? Also is Misery not infuriating anymore?

Misery 1.0 is still as good as it always was if you can find a download for it (they removed it from the moddb page :laffo:) and misery 2.0 is surprisingly tolerable if you use rookie mode and Les Miserables. It's still common to die almost instantly to hitscan weapons from 200 meters but very often enemies miss enough to give you some warning before you drop dead, and most hits do much more reasonable amounts of damage.

Les Miserables has optional files that let you get the difficulty around where you want it too, like you can go back to Misery's default armor and damage settings if you want those for some reason, or remove grenades from enemies, etc. Just note that the Les Miserables installation instructions are out of order.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Thanks ill check it out by the way dose any one have Pripyat Reborn 1.14.8, I was not around to grab it and cant find it any where.
E: whats the actual order?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Anyone got any experience with Remake for COP? The guy seemed to throw a paddy and removed it all from moddb due to some dispute over particles but he linked to an older version on Mega. The screenshots look GORGEOUS.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The only problem with including this is figuring out where to put it:

I'm thinking the wandering merchant can get it for you, for a hell of a lot of money.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

The only problem with including this is figuring out where to put it:

I'm thinking the wandering merchant can get it for you, for a hell of a lot of money.

Ooooooh...

also, have you ever heard of the XM214 Microgun? It was a 5.56 Gatling that could theoretically been a one-man portable gun. Just a simple copy with a new .cfg would be simple enough, right?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm getting the itch again. Is there anything cool and awesome built on lost alpha yet?

Ddraig posted:

Cardan is an alcoholic. I've had many friends with substance abuse problems and the alcoholics don't tend to be particularly discerning with what they drink, only that they can get it.

There's a reason they denature ethanol, after all.

I recently met a dude in his 30s who used to drink rubbing alcohol. Apparently it makes you sick as hell but when you're already sick as hell from your alcoholism it's better than nothing :gonk:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I'm getting the itch again. Is there anything cool and awesome built on lost alpha yet?

I recently met a dude in his 30s who used to drink rubbing alcohol. Apparently it makes you sick as hell but when you're already sick as hell from your alcoholism it's better than nothing :gonk:

I knew a friend of my mom who went through a really bad alcoholic phase. Ended up DUI, crashed with her daughter in the backseat. Kid was ok, but the woman lost her arm just below the shoulder. Blacked out on impact, woke up, tried to open the door, saw her arm mostly hanging off of her. This made her even more alcoholic to the point where chugging rubbing alcohol made her less sick than the withdrawal.

Anyway, I'm playing the SGM2.0 Geonezis all-in-one and it's simply great. I love the "everyhting but the kitchen sink" style, especially when almost all the bugs have been ironed out. My only complaint would be that while I'm aware there's a certain order of quests that has to be followed to prevent missing out on a ton of the later ones, I don't fully know the correct order.

Seriously fun stuff though, getting chased by Wolf and his dudes, ran for the safety of some stalkers at the rocks just west of the boiler in Zaton, get within 25 meters before I realize the Russian tones are not friendly and oh God make a quick left ten feet in front of the Alpha Squad before they plug me with enough automatic fire to put down a pseudogiant. To sperg a bit, Alpha Squads are probably one of the best parts of SGM. Incredibly difficult to put down, especially early, but once you do they're a decent source of upgrades and income (although much less so in Geo than in 2.1).

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Seconding this, I love CoP but I feel like I've played it to death and all the locations and missions are too familiar. It doesn't feel like there's any exploration, at least with Lost Alpha the maps are new.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I ended up playing around with Misery with Les Miserables. This poo poo is too easy, I got march and tide fully upgraded plus a sunrise suit and the bubble helmet and I haven't even finished Zaton or gone to Yanov yet.

Anyway, here's my STALKER moment for the day, brought to you by the 15 dogs, 3 pseudodogs, 2 bloodsuckers and eventually a pseudogiant that all materialized around me during the swamp helicopter cutscene

:argh:

e: the last time I tried SGM the whole mid-game became pretty much about surviving and killing alpha squads; eventually I got the freedom exoskeleton and the most powerful anti-materiel rifle and I was aghast to discover that the alpha squad heavies could still take 2-3 shots to the face from it. Then the game broke irreparably in the jupiter underpass so i took it out back and shot it

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 11, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I ended up playing around with Misery with Les Miserables. This poo poo is too easy, I got march and tide fully upgraded plus a sunrise suit and the bubble helmet and I haven't even finished Zaton or gone to Yanov yet.

Anyway, here's my STALKER moment for the day, brought to you by the 15 dogs, 3 pseudodogs, 2 bloodsuckers and eventually a pseudogiant that all materialized around me during the swamp helicopter cutscene

:argh:

It looks like they make helmets less obtrusive as well, much better execution.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

staberind posted:

It looks like they make helmets less obtrusive as well, much better execution.

i hadn't gotten the helmet yet, they're still the same

e: nevermind I looked closer :derp:

the bubble helmet is probably the least intrusive helmet I've tried, though. SEVA is worse and the Sphere helmets are worse than that.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 13, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gently caress we couldn't scam very much money last time

gently caress it just do it again but actually call it S.T.A.L.K.E.R. this time look we even made one original asset

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Another reason to play TFW: the Deag equip animation is the same as CSGO's

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

gently caress we couldn't scam very much money last time

gently caress it just do it again but actually call it S.T.A.L.K.E.R. this time look we even made one original asset

This angers me more than it should because I want it to be real so badly. Damnit Areal, leave S.T.A.L.K.E.R. alone!

Also them claiming use of "Stalker" as a common word makes the title "Stalker Apocalypse" quite terrifying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can't tell but there's a good 15 or more mutants down there in a giant brawl. There were another 10 or so nearby too. I just went the other way and forgot that the mutant pile was actually pretty close to the checkpoint with the bandits...

Oh.

For some reason when I went over there I could only find three corpses though. I wanted their free gear but I'll take it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

*stops halfway to cover during an emission to do more coke*
*stops in the middle of an anomaly field to do more coke*
*stops halfway to the helicopters to do more coke*

Major "Cokehead" Degtyarev

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there much of an endgame in TFW? I'm at the point where the only faction left is Clear Sky and I'm wondering if I get an objective to build a throne of wodke on the sarcophagus of the NPP or if it's something I have to do of my own volition.

The VSS also rules, to the point where it makes the game point and click retard whack-a-mole after you upgrade to flatness to be +200%

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Just found an RPK and a Robocop helmet

http://i.imgur.com/BEbe7js.webm

:getin:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I just got Shadow of Chernobyl. Do I get both the shaders and the The Zone Reclamation Project or just the Reclamation Project?

New to this series but saw it on sale on bundle stars and looks interesting. Anything else before I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Harminoff posted:

So I just got Shadow of Chernobyl. Do I get both the shaders and the The Zone Reclamation Project or just the Reclamation Project?

New to this series but saw it on sale on bundle stars and looks interesting. Anything else before I start?

Play it vanilla and save mods for future playthroughs, imo.