Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My poor old on road RC car is looking pretty second hand after last weekend's event.

The Asian On Road Champs hit my town so ran in the 21.5T Blinky touring class.

It's at a great indoor track, the issue is the layout of the track. The infield sweeps back towards the end of long back straight, and if someone who was entering the infield ran wide, they'd jump the kerb and end up in the back straight.

Which sadly happened to my car during one of the qualifying runs. All I heard was one of the drivers shouting "Caution back" before I plowed into a competitor's car at full pace.

Smashed a servo, broke the top deck in multiple places and destroyed two rims.

Gonna have to do a "Roadkill" and rebuild the on road car from other parts I have laying around, but that can wait till next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I don't normally shill my BSRC pieces here but I really liked how this truck turned out. I finally built a Tamiya Lunch Box!

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/product-spotlight-throwback-thursday-edition-tamiya-lunch-box/

The truck is a friggin' blast to play around with.

Sweet paint job on that thing.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Is there anything modern that's wacky like the lunchbox or would you be looking at putting an aftermarket van body on a generic truck frame to achieve the monstertruck contractor van look?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Vaporware posted:

Is there anything modern that's wacky like the lunchbox or would you be looking at putting an aftermarket van body on a generic truck frame to achieve the monstertruck contractor van look?

Traxxas make a monster van, they are the official monster truck replicas check them out

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Nice going, CJM. I have a Lunchbox in my "to build" pile (you know, I really should build at least soem onf these cars...), having hankered after one when I was a little kid.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Thanks guys, the Lunch Box is a lot of fun for what it is. Tower had a great sale where I got the kit for 100 shipped and that came with a 10 dollar gift certificate. It looks very cool on display shelf (it's not queen though, it's gonna be raced hard with other retro trucks). I think the next "to-do" as far as old school builds go will be a Tamiya Bullhead.

SH4, what monster van are you referring to? Grave Digger?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Grave Digger is a Chev Sedan Delivery, not a van. :science:
Probably the Boogey Van, it was a monster truck with a Ford Aerostar body (well, a composite repro).
http://www.monstertruckracing.com/boogeyvan/boogeyvan.htm

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 3, 2014

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah I know, that's was kinda my point :) I'm not aware of any other van r/c's outside of guys running Boogie Van replica bodies on their race Clodbusters. The LB body is super small.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I was thinking about the grave digger but in my memories it was a van but looking at it now it's not really what you're looking for.

Check what this guy has done with a stampede http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1931746

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Wow, bad year for the ol' Stampede.
1st time out: ESC on fire as previously noted
2nd time: decent, but I forgot to cycle my batteries over the winter and only one holds a decent charge.
3rd time: new ESC stopped working. SV3 is waterproof, but apparently the switch that comes with it isn't.
4th: seized pair of wheel bearings, galled the hell out of the stub shaft
5th (tonight): jump landed poorly, LR shock cap and LF tie rod both pulled threads out
also had to do rear control arms from the big hit last year. They looked intact, but the eyes on the cradle side were warped and it wasn't articulating properly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Alright, alright alright....

I have to do this.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Any recommendations for an 8 year old wanting something to bash round the local fields and woods?

My son has his birthday at the end of the month and is looking for an RC car. He's had a few cheap toy cars over the years which have all failed, and more importantly can't be fixed due to a lack of spare parts.

I'm looking for something robust, big enough to go where he wants it to go and preferably waterproof. Now I'd love for him to wake up and find a Traxxas 1/10 Monster Jam waiting for him but I suspect that may be out of the budget, who knows though as the grandparents are up for helping on this. The idea of a training mode on the Traxxas is appealing.

Anyway, on the more affordable end of the scale I'm looking at an ECX Torment or Helion Volition, both of which I can get for £110 which leave money for a better charger and a spare battery. Both are waterproof and seem pretty solid from reviews, anything else I should think of or should I just be Dad of the year and grab the Traxxas knowing it will be worth it in the long run?

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

sweet jesus 4 wheel steering and it looks like he has counter steering as well!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jekub posted:

Any recommendations for an 8 year old wanting something to bash round the local fields and woods?
Tamiya are aalways excellent in terms of ease of build and ease of use, I can't see you going wrong with one of theirs. The Lunch Box that CJM posted about above can be had for under £80 with a mechanical speed controller, just add a cheap radio pack etc.

I guess it depends on how into it he is as much as anything. I definitely think a short-course or monster truck is the direction to go, though.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

The lunchbox looks pretty cool, not entirely convinced about putting it all together myself. I'd have to get it up an running before his birthday but I'll look into it. I see they do a pre-build version as well but I don't think the electrics are waterproof on that.

Thinking about it he'd probably quite enjoy building it, spends most of his life in Mecchano, Lego or Minecraft.

Jekub fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 7, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Honestly, as long as he isn't prone to brutally stabbing himself or others with a screwdriver every time he picks one up, he should be fine if you help him.

It's the painting that takes more time. You can build the rolling chassis in an evening, no trouble.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

I've found a couple of options at smaller scales as well, LC Racing Short Course Brushless 1/14 and Losi 1/16th Mini Rockstar SCT both under £150. The smaller car would make my wife happier but I suspect parts would be harder to locate?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
My first R/C was the Tamiya Super Hornet when I was around 10 or 11. It was great fun to build with my dad and a blast to drive. We used to build and paint those little model cars before he got me the Hornet. I had also been heavy into Legos and stuff like it, too, so putting the car together was half the fun for me.

R/C with my dad is still some of my best memories from growing up.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Tamiya are aalways excellent in terms of ease of build and ease of use, I can't see you going wrong with one of theirs. The Lunch Box that CJM posted about above can be had for under £80 with a mechanical speed controller, just add a cheap radio pack etc.

I guess it depends on how into it he is as much as anything. I definitely think a short-course or monster truck is the direction to go, though.

The Lunchie actually comes with an ok ESC now! I think Tamiya has finally gotten rid of the 3 step mechanicals. We raced retro monsters for the first time the other day and it was a freakin' blast.

As for recommendations, yeah short course or a monster is probably the best bet. I'd say a Stampede is a good option (or the MJ version). I've tried a few ECX trucks and the steering was utter poo poo due to an awful servo saver.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

It's the Stampede I keep going back to, or to be precise the Son Uva Digger, it's got skulls and flames and he's eight. If I lined up every car I've looked at and said 'pick one' he's go for that without a moments thought.

It's a pity the 1/16 Grave digger they do costs so much, the backpack it comes in is a great idea.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
An ECX or Helion plus a bit better servo (if you feel like you need it once you've driven it a bit) is probably going to be the best bang for the buck, I think. Other than the steering they seem pretty good out of the box. Especially considering the price.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah, I bought that body.:getin:

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 9, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The Lunchie actually comes with an ok ESC now! I think Tamiya has finally gotten rid of the 3 step mechanicals. We raced retro monsters for the first time the other day and it was a freakin' blast.
Sorry, yes, you're right, I'm getting mixed up by the fact they sell one without an ESC - but this just means it comes with nothing (so you can choose your own) as opposed to coming with the mechanical one.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Wheeeee

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
moving back to Canada from Qatar, decided to trade up my new nitro truggy for this.... MAN gonna be some fun learning how all this stuff works! :dance:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29710__EG_Sport_25_Two_Stroke_Glow_Engine_for_Car.html

1) Will this fit a Kyosho DST?

2) Should I fit this to a Kyosho DST?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So I helped the guy that built the camera rig shown in this Hyundai commercial. For the underbody shot he used a GoPro mounted on a 1/10 HPI. The car is a Losi 5IVE with an electric conversion and a DJI Ronin mounted with a custom bracket. Turned out pretty slick! http://youtu.be/eb7qOvJim6c?t=29s

Edit: to clarify I sold him some of the parts and guided him on some things to change and upgrade to best serve his purpose. Turned out really awesome.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 17, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Pretty cool! Working with TV & film crews is really really interesting to me. Tight tight precision coupled with 'bodge some gaffer tape on it and go' :)

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

Thanks for all the help with choosing a car earlier. In the end I bought the ECX Torment for my sons birthday, then a couple of days after I received it my Dad called me to say he had found the Traxxas Son Uva Digger and it would probably be perfect for him.

I explained that I had looked at it but ruled it out on cost. So my Dad volunteered to make up the difference and we bought the Traxxas. It arrived and has been an awesome present for an eight year old. The training mode is doing an excellent job of keeping him in check and helping the batteries last long enough to keep him happy. The ground clearance is ensuring it goes wherever he wants it to.

The ECX sat in a cupboard for a couple of weeks till my wife asked when I would be sending it back, at which point I may have made a face as she let me keep it. So hey, now we have two cars!

Thus far the ECX has popped a arm off on the front suspension, the ECU came unstuck and a stone got wedged in the motor. Its huge fun on the lipo though, needs better tyres for loose surfaces and mud.

The Traxxas was going well till it slammed into a rock and snapped an arm off a front bearing carrier. He's doing a good job of bending the pins holding them both on, they've been replaced with a RPM spares.

We have been having loads of fun, his little brother has made it very clear what Father Christmas needs to be bringing his way.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, the Torments stock tyres are supposed to be cross-surface tyres, meaning they don't break as much as off-road ones would on tarmac, but aren't great for either, but they do the job okay.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This thread needs to get some action. I have been spending a good amount of time on my Axial Honcho and subsequently also spending some time on the rccrawler.com forum and found this custom build bronco:

Which is all well and good until you see the rest of it:

It is a 1/32 scale truck that he has completely built. His attention to detail is mindblowing and photos are worth looking at: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/507763-1-32-brass-bronco.html the tiny links and shock hoops are what kill me. He has a complete roll cage built as well.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
That's ridiculously awesome.

--

I'm trying to get my LST XXL running again. I never really got a good amount of time with it due to a bum engine which wasn't immediately evident to a nitro noobie like me.

I got a replacement engine from Losi and it worked great. Except I now had these odd clicking noises. Took me a while to figure out that the cause was some gear teeth were messed up.

Ordered new gears and that fixed the issue. But now I can't find the charger lead for my receiver, so I have to pick one of those up.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Bumping with some pictures. Had a chance to head out on a local trail with some buddies a few weeks back.

This guy detonated just a few feet onto the trail, something about a driveshaft pin. Whoops.

A couple of the rigs

Obligatory (yes, I do believe that's an Escalade body on a Wheely King?)

Stumped

A fun little section of the trail. Certain doom off to the right, just out of frame

Nobody had more fun than the guy who brought a Wraith

Forgot the specifics on this rig, but was pretty fun to watch

again

Wraith attempting to power out

My XJ rustling some leaves

Jeep in the water, Jeep in the water

Someone's Honco made a terrible noise and found itself in 2WD mode. Needed a little help making it back up to the trail.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

bisticles posted:

Bumping with some pictures. Had a chance to head out on a local trail with some buddies a few weeks back.

Been out of the RC game for a long time and had no idea RC rock crawling was a thing. Those trucks are amazing! Are they built from kits or scratchbuilt?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Gorson posted:

Been out of the RC game for a long time and had no idea RC rock crawling was a thing. Those trucks are amazing! Are they built from kits or scratchbuilt?

They're all based on some sort of kit (Axial SCX10, RC4WD Trail Finder, HPI Wheely King :) ) but they don't stay stock long. New motor, different gearing, specialized tires, a beefier bumper to replace the one that got snagged last week... plus, painting bodies is a pretty fun and relatively inexpensive way of customizing the overall look.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I'm looking to casually get in to the hobby and I have a few questions.

Is RTR the way to go for someone who doesn't really want to fiddle around that much with the car? I have read stories about people buying RTR cars and after a few upgrades it is already more expensive than the kit with less parts. Additionally, are RTR cars generally bad? That seems to be the sentiment I have observed on some forums.

Is it realistic to get a halfway decent RTR/Kit and run it for some time (year at least) for under ~$300. Would it behoove me to buy a cheaper car that may need upgrades/repairs or a more expensive, more complete and reliable car?

My local shop has this RTR available http://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/fury/mega, for $190 and from what I have seen in person and online it's not that bad. I'm not familiar at all with RC brands so is this a decent RTR?

Brushed vs Brushless electric motors, I know that generally Non-Brushed is better and more expensive, the car above has a brushed motor. What kind of maintenance is involved with these? Is not anything to scare away a casual like myself? Or should I avoid them?

Thanks in advance

Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 25, 2014

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Diplomat posted:

I'm looking to casually get in to the hobby and I have a few questions.

Is RTR the way to go for someone who doesn't really want to fiddle around that much with the car? I have read stories about people buying RTR cars and after a few upgrades it is already more expensive than the kit with less parts. Additionally, are RTR cars generally bad? That seems to be the sentiment I have observed on some forums.

Is it realistic to get a halfway decent RTR/Kit and run it for some time (year at least) for under ~$300. Would it behoove me to buy a cheaper car that may need upgrades/repairs or a more expensive, more complete and reliable car?

My local shop has this RTR available http://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/fury/mega, for $190 and from what I have seen in person and online it's not that bad. I'm not familiar at all with RC brands so is this a decent RTR?

Brushed vs Brushless electric motors, I know that generally Non-Brushed is better and more expensive, the car above has a brushed motor. What kind of maintenance is involved with these? Is not anything to scare away a casual like myself? Or should I avoid them?

Thanks in advance

Kits are good for people who know ahead of time that they're going to upgrade everything right away. If I know that I want this specific motor, this specific ESC, this specific radio system and this specific servo, I can save some money by buying just the base chassis and adding that stuff in myself. People on forums go overboard when talking about must-have upgrades. The way they go on sometimes, you'd think you need to buy $800 in upgrades just to get the thing to move.

Brushless motors are more efficient than their brushed counterparts, so you get more power. Downside being the price and that they're generally not able to handle mud and water as well as a big dumb brushed motor, which you can just spray out with motor cleaner every once in a while.

If you're after a stadium truck, you've got a lot to choose from from a lot of vendors. I think Tower Hobbies even has their own in-house brand that looks fairly impressive on paper.
edit: yeah - http://rcdriver.com/tower-hobbies-cutback/

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Long time no see, r/c thread! You might remember my megapost awhile ago about the untimely demise the indoor track I was race director at. Well, poo poo fell into place and now we have a new place to race! I figured you midwestern goons might want to know about it :)

Our Grand Opening is THIS SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 29TH!!! What better way to take a break from hectic shopping than stopping by the new track for some racing action!

This Saturday we're running a slightly modified schedule. Hours for Nov. 29th are:

Doors open at 10am
Practice starts at 11am
Drivers meeting at 12:50pm
Racing at 1pm!

We'll run two quals and single mains. I'm expecting a pretty good crowd and we should have decent showings for all classes including a new one for us, 13.5t 4wd 1/10th buggy!

We're getting blasted with cold weather but things are starting to heat up at Bluegroove Hobbies & RC Raceway, Central Iowa's newest hobby shop and indoor offroad race track! The track's dimensions are 100'x50' and is home to some of the most beautiful river bottom gumbo black dirt I've ever seen. Rock free and super clean! 40+ pit spots lining the track will be open for use during normal club racing events (reserved spots already sold out for this winter season). The hobby shop will be fully stocked with all major brands of kits, parts, and tires for your racing needs! If you haven't yet, please 'like' the Bluegroove Hobbies page on facebook for the most up-to-date information on the shop and racing https://www.facebook.com/bluegroovehobbies

Sorry for whoring the place out but I'm super excited to be a part of it. The facility is awesome, the dirt is loving amazing, and I get to yammer into a mic for hours on end again :v:. This Saturday is going to be nuts! Hope some of you make it to race sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

I picked up an HPI Wheely King for my youngest for Christmas, found it for a very good price on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with them? Specifically what is liable to break first in the hands of a five year old? Might as well stock up on the spare parts now so he doesn't have to wait around for it.

Also my oldest sons Traxxas Son Uva Digger demolished it's gear box while out at an icy skate park, I suspect the pin on the input shaft sheared off letting the top gear travel up the shaft, the net result being every gear in the box is damaged. So I'll be learning about rebuilding that lot now.