Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Depending on how embarrassed you might feel you could get a glow in the dark strip or something on your shoes. Or if you're in a park/bowl/one-spot situation you could look into some cheap rechargable portable lighting.

Reasons you need to be watching the Thrasher 2014 KOTR episodes:

- IMHO the best competition in skateboarding all year
- Ben Raybourn's "best vert" award
- Nyjah hitting 4 different challenges with one girl
- The "best prank" from team birdhouse
- A goddamn ton of amazing skating from all the teams, especially when it comes to attacking truly hosed up rails no one should be trying
- So far only one vid of people drinking their pee
- Tricks over girls twerking
- This years shots of moms and cops who can do kickflips

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I've always been interested in skateboarding but I am clumsy and uncoordinated as hell and ended up breaking my collarbone last time I was on one.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Try a different coloured bolt, like white.

Also do whatever you think it takes and don't worry about how you look. You're on a skateboard and you aren't 12, it's already far too late to consider things like embarrassment, dignity and respect from your peers.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Reasons you need to be watching the Thrasher 2014 KOTR episodes:

- IMHO the best competition in skateboarding all year
- Ben Raybourn's "best vert" award
- Nyjah hitting 4 different challenges with one girl
- The "best prank" from team birdhouse
- A goddamn ton of amazing skating from all the teams, especially when it comes to attacking truly hosed up rails no one should be trying
- So far only one vid of people drinking their pee
- Tricks over girls twerking
- This years shots of moms and cops who can do kickflips

Only thing that matters with KOTR is Smolik will be there, and he isn't yet, so eff all that non-Smolik stuff

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

EPISODE 7 SMOLIK IN THIS BITCH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcG4q5bAlDI

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I can't watch but I assume they didn't give him to Birdhouse, seeing as there's no big news about all of them dying.

Edit: All teams are also all visiting Skatopia, which I assume means that's where they pick up the guest stars and have an all team jam that will probably cause trip-ending injuries for at least 3 people.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 9, 2014

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I can't watch but I assume they didn't give him to Birdhouse, seeing as there's no big news about all of them dying.

Edit: All teams are also all visiting Skatopia, which I assume means that's where they pick up the guest stars and have an all team jam that will probably cause trip-ending injuries for at least 3 people.

Did you check for news about dudes from Birdhouse getting DUIs though, therein may lie your answer? And yeah, things got a bit out of hand at Skatopia a tad

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
One other tip for getting started, is that you might find it easier to learn a pop shuvit first/alongside the ollie. It's a pretty natural motion and really gets you used to being very comfortable moving around in space.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Thrasher just put out a tour vid with CK, Ishod, Koston, Grant Taylor and Justin Brock. It's nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQSgO7_1hGc

GT is so unbelievably natural on a skateboard he can kinda make other people, even other SOTYs, look a bit stiff.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

king of the road is the only thing keeping skateboard culture alive. was really surprised to see nyjah doing it, but it's good so far. the inside the store lines are hilarious. the birdhouse prank is the best prank i've ever seen on camera.

e: jesus gently caress im only on ep 3 the double kink challenge was like the gnarliest thing i've ever seen can't believe he did it in loving birkenstocks lmao

e2: majerus is actually the best person on rails ive ever seen

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 10, 2014

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Tenterhooks posted:

Thrasher just put out a tour vid with CK, Ishod, Koston, Grant Taylor and Justin Brock. It's nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQSgO7_1hGc

GT is so unbelievably natural on a skateboard he can kinda make other people, even other SOTYs, look a bit stiff.

Saw this last night, Grant Taylor is a beast nobody looks so powerfull on tranny.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
The Gou Miyaki tribute in KotR episode 8 made me laugh so hard

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Omnikin posted:

The Gou Miyaki tribute in KotR episode 8 made me laugh so hard

Same

I hope it wasn't a one off

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I like how Chad Knight seems to be giving the Flip dudes advice on planning for their post-skating careers while Olson and Smolik are taking two already kind of crazy teams and showing them that they too can still be completely bezerker in 15 years

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The 5 minute flip/birdhouse part in episode 8 was loving insane. Homoki's Jaws challenge was fwiggen epic.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 11, 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm glad you guys talked it up. I had watched the first episode and was kind of meh on this year's KOTR. The official sounding narrator at the beginning kind of threw me off. This is one of the best KOTR's. I love Jaws, he just does not give a gently caress but in a really nice way.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the clint slam in this ep is so gnarly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-YI0wbRwC4

and the nyjah rail sesh is too good

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

also: gently caress

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If anyone is jonesing between episodes Thrasher always turns these into one big video at the end, and last years was real good too. Enjoi was a team. The only real bummer I can remember from last year is Ben Raybourn injuring himself real bad early.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

straight up brolic posted:

also: gently caress

It took me 5 loops to wonder what made a nice but otherwise "normal" kickflip expletive worthy. Then I noticed...

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Lumpy posted:

It took me 5 loops to wonder what made a nice but otherwise "normal" kickflip expletive worthy. Then I noticed...

Man, it took me reading your post. drat son...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I watched that episode and marveled at it at the time, and it still took me like 3 loops. It's like a riddle.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pugnax posted:

Man, it took me reading your post. drat son...

That was some eye trickery there.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I missed it too. I was thinking "is that switch, no he's goofy...nice kiclflip???"
He is so good. I've never been much of a Nyjah fan but this KOTR is giving me funny feelings.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I really can't hate on him anymore after seeing him on that "The Motivation" documentary. His dad hosed up his life, kept him out of school, all just to make him into a great skateboarder and then tried to ruin that too while pretty much kidnapping him away from his mom. Can't fault him for running with literally the only thing he had.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Well I landed zero tricks (well one Ollie) in an hour today. I did push like a real person though! Which was so much easier to do everything... I wish I would have known as a kid.

I am having a hard time keeping my feet up on kickflips and shuvits so I can actually catch the board. Any advice here?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Unless you're willing to cop to being jealous of that he's better than you at loving everything and has a Scrooge McDuck pool of money from skateboarding I don't know why anyone would hate Nyjah. His dad really did try and tank everything but there he is, back 5-0 grinding gnarly rails first try before breakfast. Kid rules

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

spwrozek posted:

Well I landed zero tricks (well one Ollie) in an hour today. I did push like a real person though! Which was so much easier to do everything... I wish I would have known as a kid.

I am having a hard time keeping my feet up on kickflips and shuvits so I can actually catch the board. Any advice here?

Your core strength...abs etc. is what help you get your feet off the ground. Practice will get you there eventually but you can speed things up if you exercise outside of skateboarding. Since I'm an old man I exercise so that I can skate. I use the Focus T25 program which is a slimmed down version of the Insanity workout. The workouts are just 25 minutes. If you want to get your feet off the ground you'll need to spend more time jumping to get you in shape.

That being said it sounds like your still getting your feet wet so you probably have not plateaued yet. Just keep at it. With pop shove-its and really any similar trick, keep an eye on where the board is landing and realize that you will have to jump to that spot to land the trick. For me shove-its require jumping forward and to the right a bit (I'm regular).

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

One more pop shove it tip is to really scoop back with your rear foot/toes, more than you might think to. If you get the timing right you can 'catch' the board, rather than jumping and landing on it. Practice practice practice.

And good rec on T25. I too am an old man and handrail and 5+ stair days are long behind me, but I've set a goal that if I can make it through the entire Plyometrics workout from P90X without barfing or wanting to die I'll buy a new deck and start trying some bigger drops and gaps again.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

What helped me most was to think of it in terms of sucking in my knees rather than lifting up my feet. You already have the core strength to do it you just need to spend more time. That simple shift in perspective can help loads.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I started riding transition more because working out so I can work out seems a bit uh...

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I can't remember exactly where I read it, but I'm sure one of those 'science of skateboarding' things once mentioned that a real distinction between professional skateboarders and regular people was how high the pros could jump. It might've even gone so far as to say that people who were naturally good at jumping would learn quicker and become better skateboarders on average too. I can't imagine it was the most thorough of studies and I'm probably misremembering it badly but, regardless, my takeaway was 'get better at jumping'. There are very few tricks that don't involve a jumping motion of some kind and, in general, the higher you pop, the better you look.

...and while we're on the subject of pop, nobody's shared the new Brandon Westgate part yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNXRWgn8gRs

As a short fellow myself, Westgate reminds me that all my excuses for struggling to ollie over stuff are bullshit. He floats.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

how the gently caress is this even possible?

it's like a curved triple kinked rail that's super steep. i don't even understand.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
On top of that if you're going too fast at all you land right on that curb.

what the gently caress

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

that is some sicknasty poo poo right there

drat

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

That young man is quite talented on his roller stick.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm kind of befuddled by the lack of scooter destruction. Last year it seemed like there was a longboard getting focussed between every segment.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm kind of befuddled by the lack of scooter destruction. Last year it seemed like there was a longboard getting focussed between every segment.

There are so many scooters at the skate park it is crazy. They outnumber everyone else.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The longboard focus is just funnier because adults longboard. I feel like most of the scooterer's a preteens and focusing a kids poo poo is kinda hosed up. When clint and mike focused that one hood dudes longboard and sprinted away i thought they were gonna get destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

About an hour and a half of shuv its I later I can land about 3 out of 10. The other ones I am right there too. Also my old is getting alright. Good time for sure.