Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ManOfTheYear posted:

Picked up Ippo from where I left it a couple of months ago, at chapter 753. It's been pretty good to this point, honestly can't really complain, but is this gonna turn into poo poo at some point? This thread seems to be all about that.

Also Ippo has been wanting to "get stronger" for years now and after so many fights. How come all of this is still about his self-esteem? I understand how "beating himself" would have been his motive at first but jesus christ still? People get over that even without boxing.

The manga isn't that bad, I mean you have the advantage of not waiting like we did. Not to mention there was a time where the chapters releases were slow downed, and there is sometimes maybe half a chapter. It was ridiculous.

But yeah like everyone says, Woli.

gently caress that drat fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Being someone who read it all in one go recently, I don't think I'm as critical as other people about the story. Every page there are several posts that talk about how terrible Kamogawa is and how stupid Ippo is and how he should get brain damage and retire immediately and the story should have a flaccid, lovely ending because Ippo's fights have been kinda lovely for awhile so gently caress Ippo forever I guess. Meanwhile I'm just like I dunno I like it when the dudes punch each other. It's not as if Morikawa forgot how to write good fights, he just uses up all his juice on everyone besides Ippo.

But seriously gently caress Woli.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It's a good manga but it's almost like this weeks chapter is channeling the audience when it says "Where the gently caress are you ACTUALLY HEADED, Ippo." And it's a good sentiment, it's a real sentiment, it's part of growing up, is that at some point a lot of people find ourselves pushing and struggling and we're not really sure where we're supposed to be headed, just "forward"

This comic has been stuck in the same spot for a while but it does sort of give us this good moment where you know, the manga needs a loving goal in mind. Ippo hasn't really had a realistic 'rival' for a while, and that was what winds up being so interesting about Gonzales in retrospect is that Ippo for a brief moment stepped into a scenario where he was actually the BAD GUY for someone else to overcome on the way to THEIR goal. Like for him to be the hero, he needs some sort of virtuous thing for us to rally behind, some sort of actual struggle for us to want to see resolved, whereas all the actual inner-conflict and risk taking and triumph was happening on the other side of the ring with characters who sounded like they had a much more interesting story going on than Ippo, frankly.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 9, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The Woli fight was bad, but I think I hated Miyata vs. Randy Boy Jr a lot more. Ippo at least has always been portrayed as being really durable and determined. Miyata's way under his natural weight class and was always kind of shown as being unable to take a lot of punches; he gets the poo poo kicked out of him and then wins by flailing his arms around like a baby. It's also a really awful conclusion to the Ippo/Miyata rivalry that never should have been. (Left in spoiler tags since we're talking to someone who hasn't read it yet.)

Also, Ippo's real rival is Sendou :colbert:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

Also, Ippo's real rival is Sendou :colbert:

I would be okay with Ippo retiring if the series continued with the name changed to Hajime no Sendo and it chronicled his journey to have a proper rematch with Volg at the top of the world.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TriffTshngo posted:

I would be okay with Ippo retiring if the series continued with the name changed to Hajime no Sendo and it chronicled his journey to have a proper rematch with Volg at the top of the world.

Sendo had his own spinoff series and it was great.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Sendo had his own spinoff series and it was great.

Wasn't that just a one-off chapter about his childhood? Or did I miss an entire series about my favorite character somehow?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like on some level Morikawa realizes a lot of the stuff we talk about; I mean, he even had a scene where Sendo visited Ippo to spar and kicked his poo poo in. I'll be more or less pleased if this arc ends in either Ippo growing some balls and wanting to fight to win (rather than just defend his coach's teachings or whatever) or him realizing that his defense is dumb and he needs to change his fighting style.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like on some level Morikawa realizes a lot of the stuff we talk about; I mean, he even had a scene where Sendo visited Ippo to spar and kicked his poo poo in. I'll be more or less pleased if this arc ends in either Ippo growing some balls and wanting to fight to win (rather than just defend his coach's teachings or whatever) or him realizing that his defense is dumb and he needs to change his fighting style.

That'd require a trainer that didn't get an erection over the prospect of brain damage. His moping is because Ippo survived the match with out becoming a vegetable.

Or maybe I'm wrong and he's purposefully trained him wrong, as a joke

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
please learn how to box and use strategy ippo. I want the guy to actually outbox someone.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wild Horses posted:

please learn how to box and use strategy ippo. I want the guy to actually outbox someone.
He outboxed that one dude who Itagaki knew and he retired because Ippo kicked his rear end so bad.

Which completely contradicted a big thing Sendo said about how when Ippo beats people they it makes them want to keep boxing rather than retire.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Japan sucks, show more Volg.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

He outboxed that one dude who Itagaki knew and he retired because Ippo kicked his rear end so bad.

Which completely contradicted a big thing Sendo said about how when Ippo beats people they it makes them want to keep boxing rather than retire.

When will people start calling Ippo The Grim Reaper or whatever Mashiba's nickname was for making people retire

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Well I got to Woli, and isn't he kinda really racist? Dude's from Indonesia and he just climbs trees and eats bananas like a monkey and all of his fellow villagers have banana leaves for clothes and poo poo. All the thai and filipino fighters were more or less regular characters, but Woli is kinda cartoony in a wrong way.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 11, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's absolutely racist.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 11, 2014

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I think this series is always on it's worst when Ippo is facing the most cartoony characters: they get really super repetive like that sea-dude who just couldn't shut up about sea and dragging Ippo to the bottom of the sea and they also get the most un-boxing like matches, because they just try to follow the stupid rear end gimmicks, rather than having good and realistic boxing.

Ippo is a good manga, really good, but I really prefer All-Rounder Meguru to it, because it dropped all the stupid yakuza plot lines pretty fast and just concentrated on the sport itself. I don't know anything about boxing but the MMA is Meguru is really accurate and fun to watch. The boxing in Ippo is less, although it's fun too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ManOfTheYear posted:

I think this series is always on it's worst when Ippo is facing the most cartoony characters: they get really super repetive like that sea-dude who just couldn't shut up about sea and dragging Ippo to the bottom of the sea and they also get the most un-boxing like matches, because they just try to follow the stupid rear end gimmicks, rather than having good and realistic boxing.

Ippo is a good manga, really good, but I really prefer All-Rounder Meguru to it, because it dropped all the stupid yakuza plot lines pretty fast and just concentrated on the sport itself. I don't know anything about boxing but the MMA is Meguru is really accurate and fun to watch. The boxing in Ippo is less, although it's fun too.

Rock and Roll Ricky was also good although ended way too soon. If you haven't checked it out give it a go. I also like Meguru, waiting to see where the story goes.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ManOfTheYear posted:

Well I got to Woli, and isn't he kinda really racist? Dude's from Indonesia and he just climbs trees and eats bananas like a monkey and all of his fellow villagers have banana leaves for clothes and poo poo. All the thai and filipino fighters were more or less regular characters, but Woli is kinda cartoony in a wrong way.

We warned you that the Woli fight was bad. especially considering he does a bunch of poo poo that wouldn't be allowed in the ring. Yeah I know this manga exaggerates to an extent, but Woli was the worst out of them all.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Haha the sea guy was definitely the worst. Those are my favourite Ippo fights, because this series is horrible and it's really fun to watch him cram as many stupid references to the stupid gimmick as possible. Didn't Woli do like a flying top rope punch at one point?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Was Gedoh racist? I don't know enough about east asian stereotypes to know if filipinos are stereotyped as being weird-looking con artists.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Simoom posted:

Haha the sea guy was definitely the worst. Those are my favourite Ippo fights, because this series is horrible and it's really fun to watch him cram as many stupid references to the stupid gimmick as possible. Didn't Woli do like a flying top rope punch at one point?

Yeah something like that, hence why I said he did bullshit that wouldn't fly in the ring. He literally bounces on the loving ropes.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Shindragon posted:

We warned you that the Woli fight was bad. especially considering he does a bunch of poo poo that wouldn't be allowed in the ring. Yeah I know this manga exaggerates to an extent, but Woli was the worst out of them all.

Simoom posted:

Compared to All-Rounder Meguru, the worst thing in Ippo is that the way most fighters move just isn't possible. In Meguru, it literally is MMA: the punches, throws, sweeps and locks are 95% of the time made from real positions and the distancing and body positions are correct for those moves to work. The strategies are real and they would work in real life. Meguru is full of combat sports money shots that rock my world and are great and amazing. There are only a few things that aren't really real, but the author decided against them almost instantly after presenting them and then that was that, you now only get that MMA goodness. The action just flows from move to move and you can almost feel the speed and intensity like these pages (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6) or here. I really really love it.

Ippo uses more of "special effects" like the flicker or dempsey roll and that's okay too, but with characters like Woli their movement makes zero sense. You can't move like that, you can't jump from here to there and generate power from that position, it's just not possible. i don't take Ippo or Meguru too seriously so I'm okay with that, I just take the point home, it being that there are outlandishy talented freaks out there that can master complex skills immediatedly after trying them out the first time. Pretty much everybody on top of any sport in the world must be like that.

What's especially great in Ippo is the "feeling" of boxing: one punch can change everything and you are constantly on edge of the knife. Also victory is always extremely elusive, as Ippo and other characters gets his rear end handed to him many times during sparring but they still can win against the same opponents if they specifically prepare for that opponent. If they have had long recovery time and they spar, they might perform much worse than before and if they can't focus, they can also lose again. Combat sports are exactly like that, on some days and weeks you seem to be able to be a hard opponent to everybody and submit and strike very good opponents if they are having an off day, but on others you get your poo poo pushed in by some guys who "shouldn't" be able to.

In short, both series get a lot of stuff right sport-wise, but they are different things and they achieve it different ways.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shindragon posted:

Yeah something like that, hence why I said he did bullshit that wouldn't fly in the ring. He literally bounces on the loving ropes.
He also defies the laws of physics by clinging to the corner post with his Spiderman feet and just chilling looking bored like it aint a thang.

There are also the situations where he dodges Ippos punches such that his body's trajectory during the dodge physically intersects the path of Ippo's fist. He is clearly dodging in a higher physical dimension.

The whole battle is just "Physics??? in a boxing manga??? gently caress that this is MAHVEL BABY"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's been a fair amount of poo poo that wouldn't fly in a real pro ring like ridiculous amounts of fouling going without significant penalties or stops, or rabbit punches which are also illegal and used pretty frequently by the speedier boxers. Woli just basically breaks what little suspension of disbelief you had.

edit: also- boxing is actually a fair amount more dangerous than MMA. In MMA someone can choke/hold you to make you tap out, you can strike at people's legs, and out and out striking for long periods of time doesn't tend to happen. A ground and pound looks really nasty but it's over in seconds and the rounds are shorter.

In boxing? You stand upright and punch the poo poo out of eachothers' torso/head for what can amount to several, several rounds. Also since you're almost always knocked out on your feet, the fall after being KO'd pretty frequently wakes the person up and with the 10-count people who're legit concussed and barely conscious can reflexively get up and start trying to fight again. I can't remember exactly but it's something insane like 80%+ of boxers have a brain injury by the end of their career.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 11, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not gonna lie, I do enjoy how Ippo does making boxing look ridiculous but you have to admit the anime is just pure awesomeness.

I just like how every punch sounds like a jet engine ready to take off.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shindragon posted:

Not gonna lie, I do enjoy how Ippo does making boxing look ridiculous but you have to admit the anime is just pure awesomeness.

I just like how every punch sounds like a jet engine ready to take off.

This is your annual reminder that the 4 best fights in this series didn't have Ippo as a participant.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Toshimo posted:

This is your annual reminder that the 4 best fights in this series didn't have Ippo as a participant.

Duh, Ippo is the worst character in the manga. Shonen protagonist syndrome.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Simoom posted:

What I hate most about Shimabukuro is that they had Ippo freak out about finally fighting someone shorter and smaller than he is.

Full Metal Alchemist handled that best when someone tried the same thing and Ed just went "I have no trouble with someone smaller than me. I know exactly how they fight because I do the same thing."

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

Was Gedoh racist? I don't know enough about east asian stereotypes to know if filipinos are stereotyped as being weird-looking con artists.

uhh growing up in a very diverse location and making friends with a lot of people of asian descent as a kid, more than half of them referred to filipinos as the n-words of the East, so yeah they are kind of stereotyped as unscrupulous in a lot of asian cultures

sorry if that anecdote was inappropriate for the children's boxing series thread. i also enjoyed the doctor fight. i may be miseremembering, but like his medical skills allowed him to single out ippo's organs and deliver surgical strikes to them. i wish they just went all-out with the gimmicks.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Takamura vs. Hawk is like six episodes of slabs of concrete throwing 747s at each other, and it's loving great

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Toshimo posted:

There are not four fights in this series better than Ippo vs. Sendou (Rematch).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DoubleDonut posted:

There are not four fights in this series better than Ippo vs. Sendou (Rematch).

Takamura v Hawk
Mashiba v Kimura
Volg v Eliot
Kamogawa v Anderson

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Toshimo posted:

Volg v Eliot

Man, you're not even trying.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Not even the pure distilled awesomeness of Mashiba vs Sawamura can top Ippo vs Date. Forever the best.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Mashiba vs. Sawamura is pretty good, hope another anime season or two is in the works so that gets animated.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Takamura v Hawk
Mashiba v Kimura
Volg v Eliot
Kamogawa v Anderson

No way was Kamogawa's fight better than Ippo vs Sendo 2.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo has had really good fights. Namely the Sendo ones since hey it's both characters doing what they do best which is pummeling the dogshit out of eachother. The Date fight was pretty good too, along with Sawamura and poor nameless guy I can't remember mentioning earlier that he sandbagged with -actual strategy-.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
That was a pretty good chapter.

I can see what Takamura is getting at. Ippo's motivation of "wanting to be strong" can only take him so far, especially against people who have "I want to be the champion" as their motivation.

It's been a while since he took boxing that seriously, always thinking about how he will take over the fishing boat business once he's done with boxing and treating it more like a thing he does on the side, whereas everyone else think of themselves as boxers first.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
God Ippo seems like a pathetic little tosser.

And I'm really, really nervous about another black guy being depicted in this manga. The dude's design alone is loving dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Nilbop posted:

And I'm really, really nervous about another black guy being depicted in this manga. The dude's design alone is loving dire.

The last black person in the manga was Mike Elliot who was perfectly fine. This guy just looks like all of Takamura's title defense opponents and it will probably be a joke match that doesn't really matter.