Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

1000 gems costs $0.03. As of now, it's possible, but it seems like it will be really unlikely once december 15th rolls around.

The backgrounds I turned into gems were all $.03 each, fuuuuck. I could have sold them and bought 20 times the gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AlmightyBob posted:

The backgrounds I turned into gems were all $.03 each, fuuuuck. I could have sold them and bought 20 times the gems.

It's not like you could have actually bought the gems anyways.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
I was trying to cross reference card prices (http://steam.tools/cards/) with my game list but it was taking forever to find one I owned from from card price down so I gave up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TiCK posted:

I was trying to cross reference card prices (http://steam.tools/cards/) with my game list but it was taking forever to find one I owned from from card price down so I gave up.

I did this too, haha. I decided to just stock up on gems, but then Steam broke.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Pole of Mars posted:

Yep. Can't even craft boosters anymore. Still managed to list enough cards I got out of the ones I crafted to make a profit.

And I still have 80% of my initial investment.

I only had the money-equivalent of a bad burger sitting in my Steam wallet to gamble with, so I don't really care if gems or booster packs or whatever goes up or down. Although I would love to get a glimpse at all that data they're collecting.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Pole of Mars posted:

Yep. I think they removed the ability to craft boosters. Still managed to list enough cards I got out of the ones I crafted to make a profit.
You can still craft cards from here http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/boostercreator/#211580

TiCK posted:

If you open your inventory in a browser you can just open "View in Community Market" on an item in your inventory in a new tab and then go back to the other tab to sell it at the price somebody is offering. Quick, easy, and I've only missed out on a couple of offers.

I'd assume you can just sell the cards for like $0.10 and it'll go to the high bidder. But the quick price it gives you is very inaccurate at this point so you do need to be sure that the price has not crashed to nothing.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

CS:GO is sitting at 6million gems, a game that will be $5 during the winter sale.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Apparently I can't use the market since I made a valid purchase in the store less than 30 days ago. What exactly is the purpose of that?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, what's going on? What are gems?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bowmore posted:

Wait, what's going on? What are gems?

Free steambux from Valve apparently.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Downs Duck posted:

I only had the money-equivalent of a bad burger sitting in my Steam wallet to gamble with, so I don't really care if gems or booster packs or whatever goes up or down. Although I would love to get a glimpse at all that data they're collecting.

I'm a fool and spent my :10bux: that I had in my wallet (from selling a shitload of cards that I idled for) on gems when they were selling for $.35 a bag.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

Tom Powers posted:

You can still craft cards from here http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/boostercreator/#211580

If you open your inventory in a browser you can just open "View in Community Market" on an item in your inventory in a new tab and then go back to the other tab to sell it at the price somebody is offering. Quick, easy, and I've only missed out on a couple of offers.

I'd assume you can just sell the cards for like $0.10 and it'll go to the high bidder. But the quick price it gives you is very inaccurate at this point so you do need to be sure that the price has not crashed to nothing.

You see, though. I want to make a booster pack that contains cards with the highest value. I don't have anything in my inventory to View In Community Market.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

CS:GO is sitting at 6million gems, a game that will be $5 during the winter sale.

right, but you get it for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

AlmightyBob posted:

Yeah, but if you duped those gems and they cost you nothing then you're literally just getting the game for free.

I mean that stupid profile thing is sitting at over $200 right now, but I really doubt that the high bidders are legit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've always just put my cards up for sale so they occasionally add up to pay for a small DLC or whatever. Is there any reason to believe I should turn my items into gems or will it probably stay reliable to just sell them?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Everblight posted:

right, but you get it for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

with $180 worth of gems if that post about $.03 for 1k is right lmao

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

:thejoke:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Someone on the steam forums says someone traded them 10k SACKS for a tf2 key

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

Someone on the steam forums says someone traded them 10k SACKS for a tf2 key

10,000 sacks or 10 1k sacks?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Everblight posted:

10,000 sacks or 10 1k sacks?

10k sacks of 1k gems each

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Now is a good time for anyone with an uncle who works at Valve to tell us what is going on :allears:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

On one hand, this gem stuff is bullshit. On the other hand, I can get Gang Beasts for 3 bucks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

People asked for coal to come back, Valve squeezed it into gems.

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

Have a look at the top bidder for all of those 1mil+ items. Then check out the link to some guy's inventory from a few pages ago. Seems odd that Valve is taking so long to remove all those totally legit billions of gems.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i'm just glad to have a way to get rid of all the crap in my inventory

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Why would anyone turn any item into gems when you can sell them and get sacks for 3 cents? I guess profile backgrounds aren't a fast-moving commodity, but it's a choice between, say, swapping 3 backgrounds for ~250 gems or selling them for 1 cent profit each and buying 1k, right (presuming the marketplace starts working again, ha) - am I missing something here?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

IrvingWashington posted:

Why would anyone turn any item into gems when you can sell them and get sacks for 3 cents? I guess profile backgrounds aren't a fast-moving commodity, but it's a choice between, say, swapping 3 backgrounds for ~250 gems or selling them for 1 cent profit each and buying 1k, right (presuming the marketplace starts working again, ha) - am I missing something here?

My only excuse was I didn't know you could just buy the gems but it wasn't like I was going to have enough to win anything anyway

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IrvingWashington posted:

If the dupes are removed the real price of gems may be more than 3 cents (it should be around 30 cents...)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well the dream is over, the Pinball Arcade's ridiculously priced cards have plummeted into sub $.10 range, and every single card has over 100 available. The market's basically been flooded at this point, I imagine it's that way for most games, even the anime ones.

On the other hand, gently caress it. Nobody should give that much of a poo poo about virtual card speculating. And it means I might actually get to craft a Pinball Arcade badge.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

IrvingWashington posted:

No one would be selling sacks for 3c if there wasn't a duping loophole. It completely hosed up the marketplace.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

IrvingWashington posted:

The marketplace was flooded with dupes. Apparently the price for 1000 gems is "naturally" closer to 35¢

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In theory you're right, in practice you will absolutely never sell those backgrounds, nobody's buying.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

IrvingWashington posted:

Someone has to buy the background.

I had dozens of backgrounds and emoticons up for 0.3 for months it seems. I'd sell 1 every other week or so.

Today I got 30 emails. I figured something was up.

When I got home I still had dozens of items up. Which I pulled down, and turned into gems.

If you have a BG not worth a lot of gems it won't flip and you'd be better off scrapping it.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm a fool and spent my :10bux: that I had in my wallet (from selling a shitload of cards that I idled for) on gems when they were selling for $.35 a bag.

I get that, I've "lost" Steam money selling and buying before and it kinda sucks, but at least we both(?) have a Steam game library that our former kid self would envy us, right?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

If you converted those gems to booster packs it's about $1000 at the current gem cost and listing price for Skyrim boosters.

e: Of course, if the price of Skyrim boosters flatlined to .03 in this hypothetical example, that'd still be $240. The cheapest pack I've seen is 600 gems. So that's about $300

e2: ok, that's a net price of $100 for the trader.

Also the event was removed from the store page, so who knows what's going on.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 12, 2014

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Yeah, I've been looking at the sales volume in the last 24 hours for a bunch of backgrounds, and the numbers on the inventory page don't really match the market pages at all...

e: heh, just after typing that I sold a steam summer sale 2013 bg for 3 cents profit... which goes for 100 gems, I think. People are weird.

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 12, 2014

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
So, after all that, I still only have a little over 39k gems so I figure am going to be out-bidded on anything decent. I think it's time for me to dive into the ironic section of my wishlist.

Loren: The Amazon Princess, you will be mine. :q:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Downs Duck posted:

I get that, I've "lost" Steam money selling and buying before and it kinda sucks, but at least we both(?) have a Steam game library that our former kid self would envy us, right?

Yeah, I'm not complaining at all; it was free money that I exchanged into BEAUTIFUL gems.

EDIT: I also think the same guy is the highest bidder for almost all of the games

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I took my 1200 gems and bought two booster packs, which were full of cards worth more than the backgrounds I used to make the gems in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

AlmightyBob posted:

I took my 1200 gems and bought two booster packs, which were full of cards worth more than the backgrounds I used to make the gems in the first place

Made a Nihilumbra pack from 1,000 gems. Put on market for lowest price of .17, .17, .15. christmas sale, here I come!

• Locked thread