Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Rodyle posted:

Then they'll complain that there was no purpose to Kirei and all that buildup was for nothing.

Eh, they wouldn't be totally wrong, but Lancer gets to be the cool guy unlike F/Z Lancer whom I love, but that poor bastard couldn't even take anyone down with him when being offed pretty much the same way.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Unlimited Blade Works is probably the worst route to follow up Fate/Zero with. Nearly everything that gets some backstory in Fate/Zero is irrelevant in UBW; Saber never gets any closure for Kiritsugu and the end of the 4th Grail War, Illya and Kirei both die without ever doing much of importance to the greater plot, the Azoth Sword doesn't play any part in the story, and you don't get anything about Zouken and Sakura.

Basically the only thing that gets any sort of meaningful continuity is the conflict between Shirou's/Kiritsugu's ideals and the cynical, pragmatic way of carrying them out that they end up at, which is definitely not insignificant, but it's probably too much thematic and not enough narrative continuity for most people. Also Lancer killing himself, I guess.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't give a gently caress JUST GIVE ME UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS ANIMATED ALREADY.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Seriously though, read Sensha Otoko.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So it looks like we have three episodes left till the end of this cour? The botched ambush and first projection next episode, a bit of a breather with Tohsaka moving into Shirou's house for 11, and Rule Breaker for the clifhanger before the long wait?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Rodyle posted:

Then they'll complain that there was no purpose to Kirei and all that buildup was for nothing.
I'm pretty sure that if Heaven's Feel is multiple movies people will complain about the lack of build up all the way until the very end.

I think one of the things that I actually like about Nasu's writing is that its ridiculous repetition actually seems to simulate how a brain tends to function (or in my experience it isn't jumping around and making leaps at every opportunity), so a lot of times the way a character reacts is eerily similar to my reaction. "Wait, why is he still alive? You know what, whatever I guess he's alive."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Aumanor posted:

So it looks like we have three episodes left till the end of this cour? The botched ambush and first projection next episode, a bit of a breather with Tohsaka moving into Shirou's house for 11, and Rule Breaker for the clifhanger before the long wait?
I really want it to end with Archer's betrayal, but I don't know if that will be feasible.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I really want it to end with Archer's betrayal, but I don't know if that will be feasible.

Maybe...

Next episode is the bullshit fisticuffs with Souichirou.
Then the date and Saber is stolen.
And after that we get the counterattack and Archer's betrayal, but there are quite a few scenes inbetween and there's hope for some bonus scenes like Kirei's death on screen.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Honestly the more I'm reading the other thread, the more that I'm concerned of Ufotables ability to sell the major fight scene in UBW (or I guess more specifically, if it will sell). The fight has a long way to go in a very short amount of time, beginning with finalizing Archer's identity, firmly establishing his ideals and gripes with Shirou, having a conflict, and then setting up a resolution that sounds like a simple platitude but has meaning and resonance with Archer, that you're supposed to get over that one fight. If people aren't quite seeing Shirou's side, thoughts, and motivations by now, I can see people finding Archer's attacks inaccurate and the entire thing coming across as a blur.

I'm really looking forward to episode whatever guys. Hoping it doesn't disappoint like the first run of Fate/Zero's episode 11.

EDIT: Yeah I'm hoping they get to the bullshit fisticuffs next episode rather than merely setting it up.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I just remembered where UBW is heading with this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78EKF80QhGo&spfreload=10

:smith:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Twiddy posted:

Yeah I'm hoping they get to the bullshit fisticuffs next episode rather than merely setting it up.

I Think that next episodes will be:

10)
Archer dream.
Ambush and Saber defeated
First Projection
Gil and Shinji discussion in the Matou basement

11)
Projection aftereffects
Rin staying in shirou house
discussion about projection
Archer/Shirou in the shed

12)
Date
Caster
Shirou injured at Tohsaka house.
The jewel
The scene on the rooftop.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Bholder posted:

Maybe...

Next episode is the bullshit fisticuffs with Souichirou.
Then the date and Saber is stolen.
And after that we get the counterattack and Archer's betrayal, but there are quite a few scenes inbetween and there's hope for some bonus scenes like Kirei's death on screen.

You're forgetting the entire day ten. There's no way they're going to cram that, the date and Caster's attack into a single episode.

Twiddy posted:

Yeah I'm hoping they get to the bullshit fisticuffs next episode rather than merely setting it up.

They will. The next episode preview screams projection magic and that's toward the end of the fight, so it looks like they're covering the entire day day 9. What I'm wondering about is whether or not they're gonna show more of Rin's dreams of Archer, since the day starts woth the "Story of a knight" intermission, the last and most important of the three.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think it's impressive just how much Hollow Ataraxia managed to justify in that last scene with Baz and Avenger. I hated a lot of those cutesy scenes like swimming and such, but Avenger flashing through all of them as he thinks about his existence coming to an end is some serious depressing poo poo. But it's also cool how Nasu managed to have the last, climactic confrontation of the story not be the insane shadow beast battle, but just a conversation.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Aumanor posted:

You're forgetting the entire day ten. There's no way they're going to cram that, the date and Caster's attack into a single episode.

Sure they can, nothing interesting happens in day 10.

Oh wait, I just checked, there's a really fabulous scene between Shirou and Archer they WILL keep.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Bholder posted:

Sure they can, nothing interesting happens in day 10.

Oh wait, I just checked, there's a really fabulous scene between Shirou and Archer they WILL keep.

There's also Shirou's conversation with Tohsaka on the porch. All in all, it's an important episode for giving insight into both Shirou's and Tohsaka's characters. Unless you're only in the show for the fight scenes.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

There is still a bit to happen, plus maybe some original scenes in between as we discover who casters master is, and than that bullshit fist fight. I really hope the fist fight is animated well to make everyone feel gob smacked

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
If half as much effort is put into it as was put into the Berserker fight, it'll be the next best thing to UBW itself.

Here's a thought I had: How many masters/servants have there been with actual wishes for the Holy Grail? Everyone (Archer, Rin, Shirou, Rider, Sakura, Caster) thinks they're cool by saying "I'm in it to win it" or "I just want it for the sake of having the grail" or "Whatevs lol" but as far as I know, the only people who came into this thing with a plan were Kiritsugu and Tokiomi.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

HellCopter posted:

If half as much effort is put into it as was put into the Berserker fight, it'll be the next best thing to UBW itself.

Here's a thought I had: How many masters/servants have there been with actual wishes for the Holy Grail? Everyone (Archer, Rin, Shirou, Rider, Sakura, Caster) thinks they're cool by saying "I'm in it to win it" or "I just want it for the sake of having the grail" or "Whatevs lol" but as far as I know, the only people who came into this thing with a plan were Kiritsugu and Tokiomi.
... You know, that actually is really funny. Considering how the wish part is meant as bait to get 4 suckers to join the war, it's amazing that so few of the non-main families have a wish. I mean taking Kiritsugu as the rep for the Einzberns, the only person who probably had a wish in mind was caster's former master.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 9, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there's saber

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Also Iskander and blue beard, but he kinda thought he won the war and just started killing everyone as an after party

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Iskandar, Saber, Kiritsugu, Tokiomi, Kayneth, and Gilles de Rais were the only ones who came into the war with a specific wish. I think it is one of the best indicators of how the kids in the fifth war were just pawns when you realize how apathetic they are to the original purpose of the war.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Iskandar, Saber, Kiritsugu, Tokiomi, Kayneth, and Gilles de Rais were the only ones who came into the war with a specific wish. I think it is one of the best indicators of how the kids in the fifth war were just pawns when you realize how apathetic they are to the original purpose of the war.
Well, they were meant to be used as pawns, but ultimately their apathy is what allows them to eventually stop the ritual in the first place. "No wait, you guys summoned the devil? What? No, that's not 'acceptable losses,' what the poo poo?"

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It seems like everyone is forgetting Zouken and True Assassin. They had a wish, too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the wish to be less lameass.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Credit where its due, you have not been eaten in a video game until you have been eaten bye those worms. The sound, my God, the sound.

TA just sucks though, gently caress that guy and his audacity in killing all those way cooler characters.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm reading a translation of scenes and scripts that weren't used in the Fate/Prototype OVA and man, it's just good fun, what with how different the Grail system is and how the tone is basically Heaven's Feel brand of darkness. Even if this material will probably never see the light of day, I love seeing the ideas that lead up to the current Fate series.

EDIT: Also, the drama CD is Carnival Phantasm level poo poo, it's just goofy fun.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 10, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm replaying Fate at the moment and god there is so much :techno: BS at the start. "Ghost Liner", what the gently caress, I don't think I've ever heard that before anywhere else in the franchise. This isn't that complicated you don't need to keep inventing make believe phrases and words.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm replaying Fate at the moment and god there is so much :techno: BS at the start. "Ghost Liner", what the gently caress, I don't think I've ever heard that before anywhere else in the franchise. This isn't that complicated you don't need to keep inventing make believe phrases and words.

Nasu is just channelling his idol Andrew Hussie.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

The last episode of the first cour is confirmed as a 1h episode.

https://twitter.com/hikaruufo/status/543403981863518208

So... where do you think they will stop? The Rin/Shirou scene on the rooftop? Or Archer betrayal?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'm thinking Archer betrayal. It's the best way to leave a hook for the second cour.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Sylphid posted:

I'm thinking Archer betrayal. It's the best way to leave a hook for the second cour.

I really don't think they have enough time to reach that point, even with that one-hour episode.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Losing Saber to Rule Breaker wouldn't be too bad either (so basically ending on the rooftop scene).

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nasu is just channelling his idol Andrew Hussie.

I imagine Nasu hearing about the exposition booth in one of the later bits of Homestuck and literally going out in Akiba and paying people to let him spout Nasuspeak.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

If the last episode is an hour long they can get to the Archer betrayal scene easily

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Losing Saber to Rule Breaker wouldn't be too bad either (so basically ending on the rooftop scene).

That's the pivotal moment in the VN as well, I think. You aren't really sure if Archer's just faking his new loyalties until the "I hate Shirou!" diatribes much later. Saber going down to Caster, though - that was the real "yeah, they're in real trouble now" moment for me.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It really is a shame that Nasu felt he had to crowbar that half-assed Karen romance into that great story about Baz and Angra being friends.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

The cool thing about Nasu technobabble is that while his explanations are stupidly overcomplicated and long, the way things actually work in the narrative is generally pretty intuitive, so whenever poo poo like that happens you can basically just hold ctrl until people start saying actual words again.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

when you realize it's saturday and need to wait for a new episode of UBW

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i predict this weeks flavor of the UBW thread will be complaining about the projection magic. the words shonen powerup will be used

anyway neat episode, had a title drop and everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It could always be complaining about how the action isn't meaningful and there isn't the strategy like there is in F/Z. (Seriously what the gently caress was up with that one :argh: )