Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've used this in the past just to help me keep track of everything. I'm sure you could come up with your own or may already have some system.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/job-search-log-TC006091461.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My current job is winding down so I updated my resume with over a years worth of updates including a 6 month stint at a fortune 500 company.

Recruiters are vultures. :argh: Hey guy who called me for a job writing windows drivers, they are not practically the same as Linux drivers. GFY.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 12, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Dick Trauma posted:

It's annoying how employers and recruiters update their jobs posts so that day after day the posting appears to be brand new. When I search by date at all the job boards I have to wade through the same raft of jobs that I've seen for days and try to pick out the ones that are freshly posted.

Send them your resume every day. "I noticed you updated the req, so I updated my resume."

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Recruiters are vultures. :argh:

And sometimes incredibly lazy. This is something I got on LinkedIn yesterday...

Lazy loving Recruiter posted:

Good Morning Spazz,

Thank you for connecting with me!

I saw your profile and wanted to see if you had any referrals for a Support Systems Engineer position we have open.

Please let me know if you would like more details! We do offer referral bonuses!

:stare: Do you think it would be a bad thing to put in my summary "Recruiters: Please do not contact me asking for referrals or offering contract positions. Thank you."?

Edit: Missed this

Weatherman posted:

How are your puckins this year?

I only shoot paper. :)

Spazz fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 12, 2014

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

ratbert90 posted:

My current job is winding down so I updated my resume with over a years worth of updates including a 6 month stint at a fortune 500 company.

Recruiters are vultures. :argh: Hey guy who called me for a job writing windows drivers, they are not practically the same as Linux drivers. GFY.

Or is just some guy who has to recruit for a whole bunch of stuff different stuff and, hey, Linux drivers and Windows drivers, they're both drivers, right?

Hardly the sort of thing to get that upset about. Poor guy's just trying to do his job, just like everyone else :smith:

OTOH, I can't attest for his behaviour when he called you, so maybe that's what made him a vulture.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Office fitout going great, it's friday, we have to start at the new office on monday.

The electrician can't find the correct line in the MDF so we might end up not having any internet

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Spazz posted:

:stare: Do you think it would be a bad thing to put in my summary "Recruiters: Please do not contact me asking for referrals or offering contract positions. Thank you."?

I'm not sure I get this; they're asking you to refer another person to a position they have open? Meaning you would have to look at the position, see what it requires, and then compare it to people you know, e.g. doing his loving job for him?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Spazz posted:

The people that do this are the ones that don't actually read your profile or give a single solitary gently caress about your wishes, so I don't see what the point is.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I'm not sure I get this; they're asking you to refer another person to a position they have open? Meaning you would have to look at the position, see what it requires, and then compare it to people you know, e.g. doing his loving job for him?

Tell him sure but I get half of your hiring fee.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Electronaut posted:

Get it in writing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Electronaut posted:

...in advance.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

flosofl posted:

Uh, oh.

Seriously, congrats.

Maybe should have negotiated beyond the 10% pay increase he offered (though when I got the official offer it was closer to 11.5% [since I'm still working at the same university, just different department, they can look up my exact salary so no fibbing there, and also I was fairly well paid to begin with) but I was just so drat happy to be able to get out of the job I have now.

E: Also no Christmas bonus, but my last day at current job is the day after Christmas (though Christmas Eve is last work day) and because of reasons I have to cash out 25 hours of vacation, so that will be a nice little bonus.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Had my yearly review today, and I'm not sure the review could have done more to demotivate me without resorting to someone hitting me with a stick. I can't even really express what it felt like, but to put so much in and get a solid "meh, whatever" as a review is frustrating as all hell.

The highlight was being told that once again, training is important, and next year we'll get all we want. Promise!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CitizenKain posted:

Had my yearly review today, and I'm not sure the review could have done more to demotivate me without resorting to someone hitting me with a stick. I can't even really express what it felt like, but to put so much in and get a solid "meh, whatever" as a review is frustrating as all hell.

The highlight was being told that once again, training is important, and next year we'll get all we want. Promise!

Did you tell them that? A straightforward "that's really demotivating because I added value by doing X, Y, and Z" will if nothing else, make it abundantly clear that the company doesn't actually value what you're doing (as opposed to not really recognizing what you're doing), and in the best case, can get you a solid raise if you make it clear that you want to go somewhere where you add value to the company.

Getting the balls/financial freedom to call em as you see em to your boss is extremely liberating and highly recommended.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Since I work for a municipality we get zero bonuses or Christmas gifts, but screw that I'm happy where I am.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

It's annoying how employers and recruiters update their jobs posts so that day after day the posting appears to be brand new. When I search by date at all the job boards I have to wade through the same raft of jobs that I've seen for days and try to pick out the ones that are freshly posted.

Indeed.com
craigslist.net
linkeded.com

These sites didn't give me the 'recently updated' issue.

And far more importantly, develop a relationship with one or more recruiters, SMCI has been good about getting me phone screens or in-person interviews with everything that I'm a match for. Their current openings are mostly PMs and developers, but PM me for a hookup.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Crowley posted:

Since I work for a municipality we get zero bonuses or Christmas gifts, but screw that I'm happy where I am.

Same here, working for the government doesn't get you any bonuses. But hey, at least, we've managed to party, drink and eat with the Danish taxpayers paying the bill :D

Kidney Stone fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 12, 2014

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

I actually heard about one of my superiors three month review. Instead of evaluating him on the position he was in, they evaluated him based on the performance of the top evaluated person in the same position as him.

He does his job like he is supposed and doesn't mess up. The top guy is making scripts to better optimize work flow even though that isn't his job description.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Kidney Stone posted:

Same here, working for the government doesn't get you any bonuses. But hey, at least, we've managed to party, drink and eat with the Danish taxpayers paying the bill :D

Enjoy your swamp cream.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mllaneza posted:

Indeed.com
craigslist.net
linkeded.com

These sites didn't give me the 'recently updated' issue.

And far more importantly, develop a relationship with one or more recruiters, SMCI has been good about getting me phone screens or in-person interviews with everything that I'm a match for. Their current openings are mostly PMs and developers, but PM me for a hookup.

SMCI! I first interviewed with them back around 1992-1993, a few years before I got my first I.T. job. I remember being asked a few questions about Windows, like what DLL and OLE meant.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Kidney Stone posted:

2nd and 3rd shift where I work are a bit...annoyed with the 1st shift folks. Those of us on the 2nd and 3rd shift were told that there would be a feast provided by the companies of all the contractors and that it would be from 11am to 1pm this Friday. We respectfully asked to be given the option of getting something WHEN WE ACTUALLY ARE IN THE loving BUILDING. It was, of course, viewed as heresy and an email went out from the PM telling us plebes how we should be grateful the companies were pitching in to provide us a holiday meal, completely ignoring the fact that 66% of us don't work at the time of the meal. Trying to explain to the PM that we would much prefer they go ahead and cater the meal for the 1st shift and then just order our meal that we could pick up when our shift starts was a lost cause.

gently caress it, we're just going to buy some pizzas with our own money. Frankly I'm just as happy that I don't have to deal with the 1st shift leads and managers now, so I'm not going to consider missing out on the meal a loss.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My office's 'Christmas party' is a potluck organized by one of the secretaries that none of the C-levels will attend and booze won't be provided or allowed. There are of course no bonuses our hams that will be given out at that time either. I already told my boss I was leaving early that day.

A friend in another department is also going to play hookie and we're going to meet up with my former co-worker and go to the bar. Our party will be the superior one.

forestboy
Aug 30, 2005

Daylen Drazzi posted:

We respectfully asked to be given the option of getting something WHEN WE ACTUALLY ARE IN THE loving BUILDING.

A long time ago I was working a third shift light industrial job for the summer. All the execs came out at 3am to grill our 'company picnic', same as they did for every other shift. It was nice, and also a bit surreal to see them standing around outside with halogen worklights, trying their best to be awake and happy about it.

Looking back on it, it's probably the most effective thing an exec has ever done to show me that they cared.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

forestboy posted:

A long time ago I was working a third shift light industrial job for the summer. All the execs came out at 3am to grill our 'company picnic', same as they did for every other shift. It was nice, and also a bit surreal to see them standing around outside with halogen worklights, trying their best to be awake and happy about it.

Looking back on it, it's probably the most effective thing an exec has ever done to show me that they cared.

That's amazing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

And yet it really shouldn't be. Are you a leader in IT? Do you have colleagues in India? When was the last time you set a meeting for IST? It turns out people appreciate the little things.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Our Christmas party is a catered breakfast at the Swan and Dolphin resort out at Disney and as part of our Christmas bonus we get free passes to any Disney park we want, but we have to goto the breakfast to get them. Not too bad, cept there will be no bacon for breakfast because our company is owned by 7th Day Adventists. Can't imagine it's cheap either when you consider disney passes are a $100 a person, we have close to 700 employees at our corporate location and you get a pass for your significant other and any children you have. One guy on my team is gonna wind up with like 5 free disney passes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Today I learned that I don't give a gently caress about writing snort rules. Holy poo poo, what a boring and tedious process.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

Or is just some guy who has to recruit for a whole bunch of stuff different stuff and, hey, Linux drivers and Windows drivers, they're both drivers, right?

Hardly the sort of thing to get that upset about. Poor guy's just trying to do his job, just like everyone else :smith:

OTOH, I can't attest for his behaviour when he called you, so maybe that's what made him a vulture.

Well for one he was outsourced for sure and it didn't sound like he really understood the position, and two my anger wasn't directed at him so much as the company he worked for. I know he is probably overworked and underpaid so I was polite and declined nicely. :unsmith:

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

I had a recruiter once call me and she was almost in tears because she couldn't fill these lovely entry level 3 month contracts. When I asked her what the requirements were for a candidate, she said the client wanted someone with a bachelors degree. It was basically a helldesk job that would be a "trial" for going full time if they liked you. I told her she should advise the client on changing their requirements to be more in line with the actual candidates who would be interested.

Volmarias posted:

The people that do this are the ones that don't actually read your profile or give a single solitary gently caress about your wishes, so I don't see what the point is.

Good point. I'm thinking about disabling my account until I need to start looking for a new gig.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sent out 26 LinkedIn recommendation requests.

Got 1. It was from the company's former President so that's nice I guess.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spazz posted:

I had a recruiter once call me and she was almost in tears because she couldn't fill these lovely entry level 3 month contracts. When I asked her what the requirements were for a candidate, she said the client wanted someone with a bachelors degree. It was basically a helldesk job that would be a "trial" for going full time if they liked you. I told her she should advise the client on changing their requirements to be more in line with the actual candidates who would be interested.

This is deliberate, btw. The company is setting up a job it knows nobody sane will ever take, so it can turn around and claim it has a huge number of unfilled IT positions for people with bachelors degrees and it needs to import workers to fill them, and can it have some H1-B visas and can the program please be expanded?

It will then hire H1-B workers as effectively indentured servants for much less than a living wage would actually be, and get them to do work not part of the original job description at all, because they can't quit and have no recourse to complain.

All of this is done with the complicity of the politicians in charge of the H1-B program. Canada does the exact same thing with a program called Temporary Foreign Workers, but we make it so any position can be filled this way, and that TFW's have to get their housing through their employer, so if they do stop working they also have no where to live.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

baquerd posted:

Did you tell them that? A straightforward "that's really demotivating because I added value by doing X, Y, and Z" will if nothing else, make it abundantly clear that the company doesn't actually value what you're doing (as opposed to not really recognizing what you're doing), and in the best case, can get you a solid raise if you make it clear that you want to go somewhere where you add value to the company.

Getting the balls/financial freedom to call em as you see em to your boss is extremely liberating and highly recommended.

Alas, it doesn't work that way here. Our direct supervisor is not on our side, he is simply a mouthpiece for his managers now, and they simply repeat what is passed down from above. The only person who actually stood up for us left earlier this year since he was sick of that, so here we are. Going by what some coworkers have said, they are handing our a ton of "meets expectations" this year, while a year ago all of us were seeing higher scores. Maybe this is due to the new review program that was rolled out.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

My company finally got around to blocking SA from being accessed from our network when I was on vacation for Turkey day. You unfun meanies :(

Of course social media sites are totally cool though.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CitizenKain posted:

Alas, it doesn't work that way here. Our direct supervisor is not on our side, he is simply a mouthpiece for his managers now, and they simply repeat what is passed down from above. The only person who actually stood up for us left earlier this year since he was sick of that, so here we are. Going by what some coworkers have said, they are handing our a ton of "meets expectations" this year, while a year ago all of us were seeing higher scores. Maybe this is due to the new review program that was rolled out.

Keep an eye on that, one of management's favorite things is to give artificially crappy reviews, then use it as an excuse to fire/lay off/give poo poo raises to/outsource entirely.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dick Trauma posted:

gently caress that. My last job-hunting stint I applied for every job that looked interesting regardless of if I'd applied to it before. They keep posting the job, I keep applying to said job. It makes you look hungry for the position. Or something.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Our christmas party is a free lunch at the cafeteria (the lunch is actually pretty good, they make a pretty good effort) where they cram people in asses to elbows in chairs with arms so to get out you have to push the person behind you in to their table and push your chair waaaayyy out. Then make everyone else slide in as far as they can as you crabwalk your way out. God help you if you're up against a wall, you sit down and stay there until everyone else leaves.

stuxracer posted:

My company finally got around to blocking SA from being accessed from our network when I was on vacation for Turkey day. You unfun meanies :(

Ours blocks everything fun except social media because marketing wanted people to be able to post about how great their job is to facebook. Yes, this is the actual reason.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I would make a joke about you working at Foxconn, but like they're giving their workers free anything.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Dick Trauma posted:

Sent out 26 LinkedIn recommendation requests.

Got 1. It was from the company's former President so that's nice I guess.

Add goons, we'd recommend you for a Nobel prize.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

stuxracer posted:

Unless they ipblocked it, in which case time to set up your home computer for remoting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

If I were treated the same way I'd start merely "meeting expectations". No use putting in extra work just to help fill someone else's pockets.