Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Where the hell's Heroic Age? It's basically made for a big finale game, and actually has a lot of stages worth of plot without needing to make stuff up, which I assume they're going to do for Gargantia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, Edel. I never forgot that back in Z1, it was chilling.

I had to look after you said it.

"If you go on living, you just might come face-to-face with the greatest pain a parent can have. So, let me kill you nice and easy!"

:wtc:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brunom1 posted:

I had to look after you said it.

"If you go on living, you just might come face-to-face with the greatest pain a parent can have. So, let me kill you nice and easy!"

:wtc:
Yeah, and Bright's reaction is like "....don't think about it, just keep fighting"

I suspect that Eva Q's involvement is just going to be the new Eva02 and a new unit for Mari. I wonder if THE BEAST will even be there?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Ooh yeah, Heroic Age would've been super good for this.

I dunno, in general things just seem to have kinda fallen in scope. I'd have expected big bombastic things after one of the biggest and most bombastic things in the whole genre happened at the end of the previous game. Diebuster and Rebuild provide a bit of that but yeah, Gargantia is such a weird choice. Likely it'll tie into the Black History stuff and in general establish most of the setting for the second Earth but hrmrmrm

I wonder how they'll explain former ZEUTH and ZEXIS not remembering non-present folks now that the reason they didn't in the first place just blew up?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, and Bright's reaction is like "....don't think about it, just keep fighting"

I suspect that Eva Q's involvement is just going to be the new Eva02 and a new unit for Mari. I wonder if THE BEAST will even be there?

They absolutely will include the Beast Mode turn-into-a-panther attacks for the Q version of Eva-02 at least.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Raxivace posted:

Can't say I'm at all fond of seeing Gargantia or DieBuster in this, but hey maybe they'll do something interesting with them.

Diebuster is cool and good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Better be a lot of new animations. New two new series is kind of blah. Although I'm really happy to get more of Gintoki The Computer in Gargantia. Never saw Diebuster but I'm a fan of over the top mecha attacks so that's good.

What's going on with the originals?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
At least we finally get the Orguss ending. With Kei and Orson killing themselves to save the world.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Rascyc posted:

Never saw Diebuster but I'm a fan of over the top mecha attacks so that's good.
The Buster Beam Slice attack featured in the preview splits a moon in half.

That isn't the strongest attack featured in Diebuster. :getin:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
We don't know of the originals, that'll probably be shown in the next pv since when 3.1 was shown we didn't see them either.

I figure the game's going to start off on Gargantia-world for a few missions, which is probably where the other ZEUTH people ended up, then they're going to look up and everything shatters to reveal the earth Jigoku was on in the sky. No idea how Diebuster's going to work, the two Earths are probably connected in some way, like this new one is the same as the other but warped in from the far future.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MonsieurChoc posted:

At least we finally get the Orguss ending. With Kei and Orson killing themselves to save the world.
They'll rewrite it.

[s]

Gyra_Solune posted:

We don't know of the originals, that'll probably be shown in the next pv since when 3.1 was shown we didn't see them either.

I figure the game's going to start off on Gargantia-world for a few missions, which is probably where the other ZEUTH people ended up, then they're going to look up and everything shatters to reveal the earth Jigoku was on in the sky. No idea how Diebuster's going to work, the two Earths are probably connected in some way, like this new one is the same as the other but warped in from the far future.
Oh the youtube PV had like Crowe/Setsuna stuff at the end but they were piloting grunts with custom animations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Better be a lot of new animations. New two new series is kind of blah. Although I'm really happy to get more of Gintoki The Computer in Gargantia. Never saw Diebuster but I'm a fan of over the top mecha attacks so that's good.

What's going on with the originals?

Why do people keep saying "two new series" as if they're somehow recycling animations for Eva Q or the FMP novels?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Why do people keep saying "two new series" as if they're somehow recycling animations for Eva Q or the FMP novels?
Because they're pretty unexciting territory and were entirely expected.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The in show Orguss ending rewrites the combination of all the alternate Earths which I hope isn't how the Z series ends.

I love the UC sprites but man do I wish some of the Z2 suits had gotten upgrades. Dancouger and Tesujin look super out of place compared to the Gundams.

Also bring on the four armed Eva.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Because they're pretty unexciting territory and were entirely expected.

So was Diebuster, and I'm still excited as all hell for that.

I am happy with this announcement.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ya I'm mostly speaking from the "Oh that's a completely new set of units, cool" PoV, so obviously I'm biased.

I'm happy to see FMP get an addition if only so I can hope they give it a better animation treatment. It was okay in the previous game and I know everyone loves to rationalize away the jankiness but I still disliked it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Ya I'm mostly speaking from the "Oh that's a completely new set of units, cool" PoV, so obviously I'm biased.

But again, these are completely new sets of units. One has never been animated before and the other is entirely units new to the franchise except Eva-02, which is so different that it may as well be a new unit.

I mean yes, they're part of an existing franchise, but if they put in Stargazer or Eureka 7 AO or whatever it would basically be the same thing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I really wasn't expecting a large number of new series for the grand finale. I expect this game to be fairly original plot heavy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

But again, these are completely new sets of units. One has never been animated before and the other is entirely units new to the franchise except Eva-02, which is so different that it may as well be a new unit.

I mean yes, they're part of an existing franchise, but if they put in Stargazer or Eureka 7 AO or whatever it would basically be the same thing.
And yet, I still wish there were more :P

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'd probably be less annoyed at the "only two actually new series" thing if one of them wasn't being wasted on Gargantia. Just could not give less of a poo poo about that show if I tried, and it just offers none of the things I enjoy about other series inclusions.

Someday, Star Driver. Someday :smith:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Daler Mehndi posted:

The Buster Beam Slice attack featured in the preview splits a moon in half.

That isn't the strongest attack featured in Diebuster. :getin:

I wonder if you'll get to keep Buster Machine 7 for more than a mission or two because lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'd probably be less annoyed at the "only two actually new series" thing if one of them wasn't being wasted on Gargantia. Just could not give less of a poo poo about that show if I tried, and it just offers none of the things I enjoy about other series inclusions.

Someday, Star Driver. Someday :smith:

I'm not sure how you can think Gargantia doesn't offer fun character interaction in a subfranchise with Chirico, Setsuna, Heero and Sousuke. Ledo hanging out with any one of those guys is basically due to be comedy gold.

Rascyc posted:

And yet, I still wish there were more :P

Yeah, that's understandable, but trying to downplay it like they're a minimal amount of new stuff is pretty odd. That's even discounting the stuff which is not new but is still entirely new content, like Unicorn. There's a bizarre number of people going "only two new series!!" as if everything else is recycled content.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I wonder if you'll get to keep Buster Machine 7 for more than a mission or two because lol

It's probably gonna be the TTGL of the game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I joke about Gargantia but I have a feeling it's included as a vector for something, maybe about the 12,000 Year Wheel. Did they ever say who the Radiance of the Sun was in that Maya prophecy? Like, if the Green Earth is still Earth from the future or another history, it's probably also from another cycle, so there might be revelatory shenanigans there like there was with Gunbuster...

e: Actually, real talk: bets on Gargantia being the big revelation for this round, like D.O.M.E. in Z, Elgan in Z2, or Paradigm in Time Prison?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 12, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure how you can think Gargantia doesn't offer fun character interaction in a subfranchise with Chirico, Setsuna, Heero and Sousuke. Ledo hanging out with any one of those guys is basically due to be comedy gold.

I don't like Gargantia to begin with, and the other part of what I like about SRW inclusions is beating the poo poo out of show villains which is not really a thing Gargantia is going to offer. One of the highlights of my Alpha 3 run, for example, was killing one of the SEED druggies with Fa.

Also I can't read Japanese so :v:

The other part of this is what while there's technically "new" stuff in the form of the rest of Unicorn and the 00 movie, and this is purely subjective obviously, is that I don't care about either of those and actively came to dislike the former as the OVAs progressed. I am stoked about more FMP, at least.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 12, 2014

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I guess I agree with the sentiment that it'll be good for the Z saga to conclude and for something new and fresh to start up where they're free to do as they please without having to fret about previous games. It does seem to me like maybe Z3 as a whole was a little held back by that. So I am intrigued as to the future of Banpresto's plans, what the next Big Game will be, preferably for the PS4. Hopefully they come up with something that allows for all the weird and interesting stuff the genre's come up with lately, or maybe they'd find intrigue in the old forgotten stuff that's resurfaced because of the internet. o.o

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I hope Sochie is an actual unit and not just a part of a fairly useless Turn-A attack.

I realize she's just in a Kapool, but it's the best Kapool ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't like Gargantia to begin with, and the other part of what I like about SRW inclusions is beating the poo poo out of show villains which is not really a thing Gargantia is going to offer. One of the highlights of my Alpha 3 run, for example, was killing one of the SEED druggies with Fa.

Also I can't read Japanese so :v:

The other part of this is what while there's technically "new" stuff in the form of the rest of Unicorn and the 00 movie, and this is purely subjective obviously, is that I don't care about either of those and actively came to dislike the former as the OVAs progressed.

Well, no offense intended, but complaining about the show lineup when you don't care about the plot is kind of silly. One of the things SRW goes out of its way to do is try to redeem or improve even bad shows and offer fun characterization. Saying they shouldn't include shows because you dislike them when part of what SRW does is try to improve upon shows just feels weird to me.

Edit: I mean remember people complaining about "oh, they're doing Char's Counterattack AGAIN" in Z3.1 and they made it awesome?

Endorph posted:

I hope Sochie is an actual unit and not just a part of a fairly useless Turn-A attack.

I realize she's just in a Kapool, but it's the best Kapool ever.

Not a chance, unfortunately. You could see they were still using the twin system in the preview that and that makes it super-likely we'll only get 'main' units for anything that isn't new.

I wonder how they're going to handle the secret recruits though. Z3 had a lot of them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 12, 2014

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

no really though groovin' magic better be in there

actually that's another entry where the main character won't even be playable until like the very end
even gunbuster in @ had the 'lil lovely machines before you got the signature unit near the end

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

"ImpAtom" posted:

Edit: I mean remember people complaining about "oh, they're doing Char's Counterattack AGAIN" in Z3.1 and they made it awesome?

I saw those complaints as mostly people being tired of the CCA units. I feel like they are in almost every recent game that has UC Gundam shows. I mean they hadn't done the actual plot since what Alpha 2?

In past games that had the Hi-Nu and the Nightingale did they have Beltorchika's Children listed as a separate series or was it just lumped in with CCA?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Well, no offense intended, but complaining about the show lineup when you don't care about the plot is kind of silly. One of the things SRW goes out of its way to do is try to redeem or improve even bad shows and offer fun characterization. Saying they shouldn't include shows because you dislike them when part of what SRW does is try to improve upon shows just feels weird to me.

I do care about the plot, though. I just can't read it, so I'm dependent on seeing folks post about it + my own show knowledge. And I dunno, I think it's perfectly fine to complain about series lineup in a game that's created purely on fanservice. There's a decent point to be made about them improving shows, sure, and Unicorn's inclusion will be much less cold to me if they decide that a particular fridging isn't actually a thing that needs to happen.

Also I don't recall anyone complaining about CCA in Z3.1. I thought everyone was in a pretty loving good mood when they realized it was actually being included fully instead of the in-name-only presence it's had for a while with the Nu being present.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Luceid posted:

Diebuster is cool and good.

It looked pretty, and that's about all I can say about it that was good. Otherwise I just found it completely boring.

Maybe I just need to rewatch it. Last time I saw it was right on the heel of the much better show it is loosely a sequel too.

EDIT: Honestly I found Groovin' Magic to be pretty obnoxious too, though obviously I seem to be in a minority opinion there.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 12, 2014

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Raxivace posted:

It looked pretty, and that's about all I can say about it that was good.
i thought the music was pretty alright but yeah the actual plot and direction is pretty bleh

the robots look cool though + groovin' magic actually owns and that's basically all it takes to be cool in a srw game so woooo

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Eh, I don't really like Diebuster's OP. I'm more inclined to hope for Topless as a main theme, Exotic Maneuver as a big event or ultimate attack song, and maybe Space Monsters for bosses.

In general I thought Diebuster was okay, but things about it bothered me and in general it wasn't anywhere near as excellent as Gunbuster.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ethiser posted:

I saw those complaints as mostly people being tired of the CCA units. I feel like they are in almost every recent game that has UC Gundam shows. I mean they hadn't done the actual plot since what Alpha 2?

In past games that had the Hi-Nu and the Nightingale did they have Beltorchika's Children listed as a separate series or was it just lumped in with CCA?

If memory serves, it's just lumped in with CCA, since Hi Nu and Nightingale are almost always secrets.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I do like the new Daitarn 3 and Zambot 3 look, and Trider G7 looks like it's getting some new stuff as well. Also like seeing Turn-A Gundam back. Otherwise, it's a shame they didn't just flood the game with all the previous franchises they left out last time. Oh well.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Fereydun posted:

actually that's another entry where the main character won't even be playable until like the very end
even gunbuster in @ had the 'lil lovely machines before you got the signature unit near the end

Hey, they might have the Machine Weapon. Nono piloted one! It could totally be... a repair/resupply grunt...

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!
Overall im hyped about the announcement, but not crazy hyped like I was for OGs2. I think everyone is only focusing on the "new" series as if they are all thats going to be different and I think that is wayyyyy incorrect. They weren't shown in the trailer but we need to remember a lot of the series we played with LAST game, (Z3.1) were missing large chunks of their cast. Immediately GSD comes to mind, so i'm hoping we'll see Athrun, Cagalli, Lunamaria etc all come back with the returning Z2 shows.

Theres the potential for the Hi-Nu and Nightingale still there (though remote), we could see more Geass folks back as playable as well as things like the Battle 7 (based on the inclusion of those Macross 7 attack cut-ins).

Thats not even mentioning the potential for truly whacky stuff that they wouldn't have to mention in the series list, like upgrades to originals (even gunelon and brasta could potentially receive them).

In short, i think focusing solely on the series list and new series is a good way to un-hype a potentially awesome finale. I doubt it will rival Alpha 3 for me, but we will see.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Just give me Broken Mirror for Unicorn, and let the Banshee remix not be a pile of rear end. That's all I want for music.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fereydun posted:

They could give you human sized Nono halfway through the game or so, even if Diebuster doesn't show up until the very end. Besides, Dix-Neuf is every bit as much a star in Diebuster and some of the other Buster Machines might be playable too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Seconding that not rear end Banshee remix, hopefully either Re:IAM or Star Ring Child for Awakened Unicorn/Banshee. Failing that, a decent remix of Mov. 5: GUNDAM.

• Locked thread