Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Binary Logic posted:

Yes firemen are famous for carrying a bit of a broken beer bottle in case they need to quickly break down a door or smash through a wall.

It's in a bar, dipshit. They have bottles in a bar, don't they? For gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Agreed. Alleged felt like a razz and made for a lovely gimmick.

I get that Taffer was making a playful jab at the guy, but it'd be like rebranding half the bars on the show Exterminators because there were bugs everywhere.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Every time that shithead blew his air horn it would startle me so badly that whatever drink I was making would end up in his face.

The baked cheese steak looks very unappetizing.

The therapist scene made me think of Hank Hill. I was hoping the ex-cop would threaten to kick his rear end.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Whoever that tourist Dorothy was god drat!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

It's in a bar, dipshit. They have bottles in a bar, don't they? For gently caress's sake.

Yes, bottles are expected to be in a bar. 2 fire axes on the wall within easy reach of any drunk - not so much.

wormil posted:

Every time that shithead blew his air horn it would startle me so badly that whatever drink I was making would end up in his face.

Coincidentally this week Selfie was cancelled.

What was up with the end note? Instead of the usual "bar sales increased 30%" it read, "6 weeks after relaunch the bar continues to undergo changes" What the hell does that mean?

I wouldn't be surprised if Gaylord has allegedly gone back to drinking all night long. You don't end 11 years of alcoholism with some new decor.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

What was up with the end note? Instead of the usual "bar sales increased 30%" it read, "6 weeks after relaunch the bar continues to undergo changes" What the hell does that mean?

I wouldn't be surprised if Gaylord has allegedly gone back to drinking all night long. You don't end 11 years of alcoholism with some new decor.

Maybe they didn't want to bury him, but he didn't tell them any of his sales figures, and they're referring to him dropping the Alleged brand.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

So I was right. Too bad but not surprising really. The bar is his retirement, and his retirement is getting poo poo-faced in a place he can't be thrown out of.

And with drinks named for vagina and the Blue Veined Monster or whatever it was, I am sure the original name for the bar came from a joke I last heard back in the late 70s/early 80s.

quote:

An old italian couple is walking around in the mall. After
a while they get separated so the woman goes up to the first
saleswoman she sees and ask: "Escusa me, have you senn-a
me Tony. He's got a big-a belly and a-lots of curly black hair?"

The saleswoman answers that she hasn't seen her husband.

So the Italian woman goes to aks another saleswoman:
"Escusa me, have you senn-a me Tony. He's got a big-a belly
and a-lots of curly black hair?"

"No, I'm sorry maam, I haven't seen your husband."

The Italian woman goes to see one more saleswoman and ask:
"Escusa me, have you senn-a me Tony. He's got a big-a belly
and a-lots of curly black hair?"

The saleswoman answers: "Yes I saw him, he ran out of here
lickety split."

To which the Italian woman answers: "No no no, that's not-a
my tony, he pinch-a the bum, grab-a the breasts but he no
lickety split!"

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

A Dash of Bitters

A rescue turns testy when Taffer enlists the help of the bar owner's ex-wife and former manager.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Binary Logic posted:

Yes, bottles are expected to be in a bar. 2 fire axes on the wall within easy reach of any drunk - not so much.

But the issue was that these axes were going to be a chance to have a weapon, not that a hundred other things that are easier to grab and use weren't already.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

But the issue was that these axes were going to be a chance to have a weapon, not that a hundred other things that are easier to grab and use weren't already.

Remember the old rhyme

Lizzie Borden grabbed a beer bottle
and gave her mother a wicked throttle...

and this famous scene of Jack Nicholson with a little piece of a beer bottle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDpipB4yehk

This is so ridiculous, if you hold a beer bottle by the neck and smash it on a hard surface you're more likely to cut yourself than to have some kind of useful 'weapon' in your hand.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 16, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Those loving axes are nailed together and nailed to the wall. They're also probably blunt. Bar fights don't last long enough for someone to pull them off the wall and cause damage; they'd just use a chair or whatever.

Get the gently caress over it.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I always love it when Jon gets an army of people for recon.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How the gently caress is a that goddamn contractor show still on?

They killed Gym Rescue after like one episode, Tattoo Rescue lasted a season, yet the Contractor Smugness Hour marches on.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Binary Logic posted:

Remember the old rhyme

This is so ridiculous, if you hold a beer bottle by the neck and smash it on a hard surface you're more likely to cut yourself than to have some kind of useful 'weapon' in your hand.

Listen, we get it, you really hate those axes because you're an axe racist or some poo poo, but goddamn, quit trying to be retarded about it. Someone isn't gonna waste their time drunkenly fighting the wall for some axes nailed together when there's a table full of throwable, head bashable items and a shitload of goddamned chairs around.
And trust me, beer bottles don't need to be busted to do damage

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 17, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

FrozenVent posted:

How the gently caress is a that goddamn contractor show still on?

They killed Gym Rescue after like one episode, Tattoo Rescue lasted a season, yet the Contractor Smugness Hour marches on.

The same reason shows like Honey Boo Boo lasted as long as they did (and had the whale mother not been a manipulative stupid redneck they'd still be on)

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The deadliest thing in the bar has to be that TurboTap system. You could drown a man with 95% yield.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I don't know if anyone besides me still watches Catch a Contractor from time to time, but tonight was I think the first time where the contractor didn't show up to fix their lovely job. Dude said he would and then up and bailed, and then they kept trying to confront him, and by the time Skip found him, it was well into the remodeling process (they called in one of the contractors from season one who apparently wasn't a hack).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SocketWrench posted:

(and had the whale mother not been a manipulative stupid redneck they'd still be on)

Wait, what happened here?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Binary Logic posted:

Remember the old rhyme

No one in a bar fight is going to try and smash the bottle first, that's TV poo poo. You use it as a club, because those things are surprisingly durable.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I'm pretty much giving up on Bar Rescue. Its gotten to be a parody of itself.

Conversely, is there still a thread for the Profit? That show still rocks.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

WickedHate posted:

Wait, what happened here?

Momma landwhale hooked up with an old flame after he was released from prison for serving time because he diddled Momma landwhale's kid. The family divided, everyone's calling everyone a liar, one's selling out the family secrets to whoever will pay the most and TLC dropped it all because Mamma landwhale kicked her previous sugar daddy to go with this ex-con jackass. And she's pretty much spent all the money her kids made from the show that she claimed to have set up in accounts so they could be financially sound.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

This is kind of how I feel. I was showing a friend some of the earlier episodes and they were so much better. I miss the actual bar science we used to get.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Yeah The Profit rocks because he still uses a lot of "science" over Jerry Springer drama. Probably because he's actually investing in the business, not renovating and skipping town. It's been a good season for Marcus. Kind of a poo poo season for Taffer, almost devolved into Jerry Springer episodes the way he tore into owners in front of customers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Second season was really bad in the Profit from an investment standpoint, he had to walk away from almost everything, but this season he's only done a single walkout. A little more drama because scumbag owners are lying to him about their position, but I don't know if it's just a coincidence or editing. I think the nature of CNBC means they're going to try and stick more to the hard business than the drama like everything else on American TV.

Hotel Impossible is also still rocking. Someone should really start another Business Rescue thread.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

FISHMANPET posted:

Second season was really bad in the Profit from an investment standpoint, he had to walk away from almost everything, but this season he's only done a single walkout. A little more drama because scumbag owners are lying to him about their position, but I don't know if it's just a coincidence or editing. I think the nature of CNBC means they're going to try and stick more to the hard business than the drama like everything else on American TV.

Hotel Impossible is also still rocking. Someone should really start another Business Rescue thread.

Eh, I think they know they need to show value while still struggling to get him to show up, but their position usually isn't as good as they initially say. Also, the place he walked from is a few towns away, and those people are colossal shitheads, and pretty much whats wrong with almost every single small business owner around here. They're all very similar greedy shitheads.

Agreed for both shows though. Someone should definitely make a new thread.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Hotel Impossible (and for the record, the UK Kitchen Nightmares) is the best because unlike most shows like it it successfully runs the gambit between "Good people making some small mistakes who I'm going to competently help" and "Terrible people making huge fuckups who I'm really going to justifiably yell at"

Bar Rescue is so far embedded in the latter that it's too hard to take seriously

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I turned BR off about 1/3 through the last episode then deleted the timer. It's been unsatisfying for long while.

I am surprised there is no Profit thread this year. I suspect last season turned off too many goons. This season is better but I still don't believe the show is legit.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Nobody can run the bar? Buy them out and find someone who will!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think someone's gonna rip those paddles off the wall and beat someone with them.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

DVR stopped at the very end. What did the "Six weeks after the relaunch" message say?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Drink sales are up 70%, day to day management is being done by that dude, and he's sober.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Those Bevintel/Partender numbers might have been the worst ever, unless I've forgotten some. I remember when he would yell and scream for $800 given away in one day; this bar managed to give away almost $7k in two days.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

I think someone's gonna rip those paddles off the wall and beat someone with them.

This should be of no concern because a readily-available shot glass can quickly become a lethal weapon. :derp:

Y'know, it seems the problem with this show is that Taffer is suffering the same sort of ennui he rips bar owners for. He seems to be going through the motions rather than being innovative."Before I can fix this business I have to fix the relationship/family".
And he really goes for low-hanging fruit by fixing up little 100-capacity watering holes with the artificially-imposed timeline. You don't need 20 years in the business to know that bringing in a POS system will improve inventory control, ordering and billing.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

WDIIA posted:

Hotel Impossible (and for the record, the UK Kitchen Nightmares) is the best because unlike most shows like it it successfully runs the gambit between "Good people making some small mistakes who I'm going to competently help" and "Terrible people making huge fuckups who I'm really going to justifiably yell at"

Bar Rescue is so far embedded in the latter that it's too hard to take seriously

Thanks for recommending Hotel Impossible. We burned through five or six episodes the other night, and the guy constantly reminds me why I used to really like Bar Rescue, mostly doing the same things that Taffer used to do.

The kid running the door doesn't have his shirt tucked in or didn't say hello to guests as he walked past them? Don't scream at him in front of everyone. Take him aside, explain his job to him in a way that makes him feel like an integral part of the business, ask if he can make the changes, and then thank him for putting in the effort. It still makes for compelling television, without making the host look like even more of an rear end in a top hat than the people he's been sent to help out.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How the gently caress do you have a failing bar in MILWAUKEE?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Don't worry. Now sales are up 200% because everyone wants to go to a 70s themed bar more than once. Also, "Free Mustache Rides"? Doesn't Taffer always poo poo on people that use unnecessary innuendo?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

1. Be pathetic
2. Don't give a poo poo because it's not your money
3. 38 years old, zero ambition, live at home with mom, have dad pay rent for 'your' business
4. Don't profit.

Man I wish Taffer had walked away, that douchenozzle did not deserve any more than the free rent for 9 years he already had received.

This is what pisses me off about the show. Taffer said there were 11 bars on that block (or in the area) and even if they're doing okay, any one of them would probably like to have a crew come in for free and do a thorough cleaning, get some fresh paint on the exterior, new furniture, updated POS system, etc.
But only the most undeserving piece of poo poo owner who drinks all night and doesn't give a poo poo, gets the help.

"Letting someone else (competent) to manage the bar will free up my time to pursue other interests" ?! Like what, wasting even more of your father's money? Moving on from alcoholism to crack addiction?!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Sometimes I wonder if Taffer does certain renovations on purpose, based on the people who are receiving them. The '70s theme is kinda neat, but really seems like the kind of thing that only a niche crowd will want to frequent.

To this day I wonder if Piratz' transformation into "Corporate Bar & Grill," was intentional. I mean, it was like giving those firefighters a bar based on the police.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The original Y-Not opened in the 70s disco era, so it kind of made sense as a 'franchise' of that chain. But who is the target demo - people in their late 50s and older who want to relive those times?!

I mix old disco songs into playlists and going to a bar like that would, as bunky points out, be fun once for a cheesy retro night, but it doesn't seem set up for regulars to return to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

An interesting read about the Y-Not III/Nick's House grand reopening: http://milwaukeerecord.com/food-drink/bar-rescue-turned-y-iii-70s-themed-bar-called-nicks-house/

• Locked thread