Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Samovar posted:

Heck, thinking on it again; Freeze is doing to Batman what Batman did to him, put his life in danger until he fulfilled part of a bargin. In fact, I think he even uses the same line Batman does - "you don't look well".

He made one fatal flaw though.

Batman was still in a position to kick the poo poo out of him, Freeze wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
True, but if you're going to be a dick to Batman, do it when he's dying.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Bootcha posted:

Well technically he already is.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

It's almost a shame you stomp the boss fight as quickly as you did; when poo poo like the drones starts coming out, and you can't necessarily think of X takedowns off the top of your head, it really drives home the idea that Freeze is hunting you just as much as you're hunting him.

This is a good loving video game.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I have to say it would be really cool if more thugs - like, last thug in ~10% of encounters maybe? - did what the first Riddler informant did; "Oh god I'm so screwed I give up please don't break my face Batman". Of course you can break their face anyway but it'd help reinforce the feeling that Batman is utterly terrifying to these punks.

[Edit] Ooh, and of course Tyger guards never would do anything of the sort, to further reinforce how thoroughly Strange has worked their heads over.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Good news everyone! I just recorded the end. So if nothing else I will definitely for sure be finishing the main story. I've still got about 100 Riddler challenges and a big chunk of sidequests, but those should be easy enough to tackle in the postgame. There is a lot of postgame. I'm still planning on doing the DLC, but here's the trick. I might actually be doing a technical 100% of the game. It's just convenient and satisfies my inner completionist, drat it. If I do, I'll post a screenshot in the thread because reasons.

As for Arkham Knight...well. I'm probably going to need to upgrade my computer before I can even play Arkham Knight, much less record it. Maybe I should start a Patreon campaign :v: (I'm not doing this I have a full time job can't play video games all day)

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Yay! :dance:

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I have to say it would be really cool if more thugs - like, last thug in ~10% of encounters maybe? - did what the first Riddler informant did; "Oh god I'm so screwed I give up please don't break my face Batman".
One of the few ways Arkham Origins have improved upon City is having the last thug in the encounter indicate that by a unique quote. Of course, he would still fight to the bitter end, but... yeah, it's a small thing :)

Oh, yeah, and Batman: Vengeance had a system where you had to cuff all defeated thugs - otherwise they'd just go back up in few minutes and attack you again like nothing happened :v: Running around the level, scrounging for batt-cuffs was... annoying. :sigh:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Bootcha posted:

He was dying, and Freeze STILL got his rear end kicked.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Isn't Batman supposed to be like the World's Greatest Detective or something? Could've hired him and paid with half of a two antidotes for blood poison. Anyway, it'd be cool if the reasoning was more concrete that you could agree with it but eh, what can you do?

He is the best at being a detective, but it is not like... his job or anything. Batman's job is being scary and punching bad people in the face. No one can hire batman.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Yeah, if you're looking to actually hire a detective to solve a problem, Riddler's the one you're looking for, not Batman :v: You don't just go up to Bats and ask him to solve a case. Most of the time, Bats doesn't get much chance to flex his detective muscles. He just bursts in on people and starts breaking bones.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah, if you're looking to actually hire a detective to solve a problem, Riddler's the one you're looking for, not Batman :v: You don't just go up to Bats and ask him to solve a case. Most of the time, Bats doesn't get much chance to flex his detective muscles. He just bursts in on people and starts breaking bones.

A shame too, because Batman's most enduring line of comics is literally called "Detective Comics".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CuwiKhons posted:

Normally Riddler's the one you'd go to, yes. Unfortunately in Arkham City he just got done marathoning all the Saw movies and really really wants to watch people die through inaction.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Granted, there's not all that much the hostages can do when they're tied up and strapped down and so on. Unless you meant inaction on Batman's part.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, on Batman's part. He's set up an elaborate series of traps entirely reliant on Batman not being able to save them, and this being Batman's fault, and thus he is better than Batman because for once Batman lacked perfect forethought. But lo and behold he has those things and thus he has cheated.

"Yeah I called it a test of skill but no they were just supposed to die, and it's your fault because I said so."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not entirely sure how some of these death traps were supposed to kill the hostages.

Like, the first and third weren't even put in harm's way, were they?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Thirst, maybe?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Pyroi posted:

He was dying, and Freeze STILL got his rear end kicked.

Remember, Freeze doesn't know Batman drank the Lazarus stuff and his face is starting to get all gross and veiny again. Given that Freeze knows what Joker's blood is doing to him, he probably figured Batman was getting so sick by now he'd be desperate for the cure and not at all strong enough to pose any threat to Freeze. Though that begs the question of how Batman would be strong enough to rescue Nora if he really was that bad off...

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Remember, Freeze doesn't know Batman drank the Lazarus stuff and his face is starting to get all gross and veiny again. Given that Freeze knows what Joker's blood is doing to him, he probably figured Batman was getting so sick by now he'd be desperate for the cure and not at all strong enough to pose any threat to Freeze. Though that begs the question of how Batman would be strong enough to rescue Nora if he really was that bad off...

Also the conversation between Batman and Oracle when the fight started implied that Freeze knocked the poo poo out of Batman the last time they fought.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm half certain that's a Heart of Ice reference.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not entirely sure how some of these death traps were supposed to kill the hostages.

Like, the first and third weren't even put in harm's way, were they?

The death traps aren't really meant for the hostages. Only the shell game immediately punishes the hostage for Batman failing (he gets set on fire if you choose poorly), the rest can only be failed via Batman dying. I mean, ultimately if Batman died trying to rescue the hostages then you can bet that Riddler would probably kill the hostages too on account of him being a huge dick in this game, but none of the hostages are capable of nor expected to figure their own way out, so the trap isn't really dangerous to them if they just sit there. Even shell game guy is in no real danger until Batman shows up and engages the game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The boss fight no one saw coming.

Unexpected Surprises/Polsy - Interview tape: Mr. Freeze 3, Mad Hatter 1-5

Character bios: Mad Hatter, Azrael (updated)

Arkham City Stories: The Mad Hatter (2)

DLC Campaign: Wayne Manor/Polsy with Nightwing

This challenge campaign is the one that came with the Nightwing DLC, so it's somewhat built around making his Predator quirks work. He doesn't have a glide but he does have a Catwoman-style Pounce, so leaping from rope to rope is totally valid. It's another one of those campaigns that has a story behind it that I feel like could have been written more into the campaigns to make them interesting, like the Black Mask campaign. After Bruce Wayne is captured and incarcerated in Arkham City, Hugo Strange and the Penguin send thugs to loot Wayne Manor. It's also neat because being Batman's house, it has a good number of secret passages that I didn't show off.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 13, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Azrael wae formerly batman... kind of, during the 90's when bane broke Batmans back, Jean-Paul Valley replaced him as the Dark Knight, but was meant as a spoof on "90s hero becoming more grimdark" so he was eventually defeated by BruceBats. Eventually he became or was revealed to be apart of the Order of St. Dumas, who are essentially Knights Templar. I don't know a lot of him but the basics is "Used to be Batman temporarily"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 13, 2014

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Onmi posted:

Azrael wae formerly batman... kind of, during the 90's when bane broke Batmans bat, Jean-Paul Valley replaced him as the Dark Knight, but was meant as a spoof on "90s hero becoming more grimdark" so he was eventually defeated by BruceBats. Eventually he became or was revealed to be apart of the Order of St. Dumas, who are essentially Knights Templar. I don't know a lot of him but the basics is "Used to be Batman temporarily"

Well. That was Jean-Paul Valley. This is Michael Lane. Different grimdark avengers.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Video seems to be a bit broken during the fight with Hatter

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

Well. That was Jean-Paul Valley. This is Michael Lane. Different grimdark avengers.

Azrael is another legacy hero. This one showed up during Battle for the Cowl. Also uh... is the video supposed to die a death in the midst of the Mad Hatter fight? and lose all audio for the rest of it. At first I thought it was doing a Scarecrow freeze fake out and then...

Also Battle for the Cowl in detail is that after Batmans death in Final Crisis, everyone around Gotham decided "Well... we need a new Batman." Front runners for taking up the mantle were Dick Grayson the current Nightwing, Tim Drake the current Red Robin (As Damian Wayne was the current Robin) and Jason Todd, former Robin II and current Red Hood. As well Catman and Bane were also trying to keep the streets safe, since Joker, Penguin and Black Mask had devolved into a turf war over Gotham now that Bruce was gone.

Dick really didn't want to take the cowl, Jason really wanted to take the cowl and Tim just sort of wanted Dick to man up and take it after Jason was revealed to still be psychotic. Because at the time there existed one kind of Jason Todd story that they just told ad-infinatum.

This all eventually lead to Dick vs Jason and Dick officially becoming Batman with Damian as his Robin.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 13, 2014

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Sssssshit. Gotta fix that.

Didn't come out that way in my final recorded, must be Youtube being a goof. I hope. Reuploading now.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
2:00 - aren't you supposed to run over those pads, instead of just walking over them, one at the time?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I noticed Hatter watching you and Vicki Vale so I saw this coming. :smug:

(Actually, I thought he'd go after Vicki first)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Will try to watch the video. My sound card on my laptop seems to be dying.

That being said, I HATE the fact that they show Mad Hatter immediately after you rescue Vicki Vale, especially since

1. He doesn't even do anything in the scene. I thought he was going to kidnap Vicki Vale for being a blonde that reminded him of Alice, but nope.

2. The sidequest about the cure magically being completed becomes less surprising and more "Oh, that's what he was up to." It would've been better if they'd just made the cure thing an event that was a part of the story and then Batman continued on after Harley after dealing with Jervis.

There's also the fact that Mad Hatter's sidequest makes no sense to do at the end of the game. :v:

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

grandalt posted:

Video seems to be a bit broken during the fight with Hatter

Yeah, freezes at 18:30. then resumes during the tapes without any audio.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Okay, so, as noted, there are two main Azraels. One, Jean Paul Valley, had a very interesting beginning with "Sword of Azrael", in that he was the son of a guy also named Jean Paul Valley, both of whom had been part of a secret Knights Templar based organisation called (Gets a bit generic here) the Order of St. Dumas, who trained both Jean Paul Valleys using a regime of hypnosis, genemodding, and other incredibly human-rights ignorant stuff that they just call... :sigh: The System :sigh:

An awesome comic.

But, ignoring that somewhat generic sounding name convention, the first Azrael we see is killed by an arms dealer called LeHah, and Jean-Paul (formerly a student of some description) gets conscripted into what's basically a holy war against this guy. He and Batman come to blows, LeHah goes seriously nutso and calls himself after a demon, and...

Look, no matter how generic and grimdark and whatnot it sounds, it is actually quite awesome, has some cool lines, and has a happier ending.

That costume from that not-so-awesome part of an interesting comic.

Then Knightfall came along and shat all over that, because of that "Different writers" thing going on (EDIT: The rationale being that the Batsuit triggered flashbacks to Jean-Paul's "System" training, which was murderous as gently caress). Jean Paul Valley does grow as a character, and in his own comic line, we find the System is a lot nastier than we were originally led to believe (Jean-Paul's a test tube baby, for a start), but is killed off at some point. Michael Lane is his replacement, and... He goes through a very similar loving arc: Gets conscripted, does nasty poo poo, batman beats him up, he realises the Order of St. Dumas are a big ol' pile of shitheels, and tries to atone.

All singing, all dancing, all... Not actually that new Azrael.

There's your Jay's Notes summary of Azrael.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 13, 2014

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's still processing because QUICK UPLOAD but this should be fixed. HD should be available before too long. Youtube or Polsy.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I believe that puzzle at 2:44 or so is actually solvable by simply sprinting across the plates.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Mad Hatter's voice is hands-down the best one in the game and series, which is saying something.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Is that a lady Question off to the right there?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Major_JF posted:

Yup, the old question was dying of lung cancer, and since DC can't just let a strong female character be a regular old person(even if they are a cop), he recruited Renee Montoya to be the new Question.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
That last Mad Hatter tape is really creepy. It sounds like Hugo Strange abducted a 12 year old girl to use as bait for the Hatter.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Major_JF posted:

yeah, I think her name is Renee Montoya.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bobatron posted:

That last Mad Hatter tape is really creepy. It sounds like Hugo Strange abducted a 12 year old girl to use as bait for the Hatter.

Considering that Mad Hatter has been hinted to be a pedophile in some comics, that wouldn't be out of character for Mad Hatter to be happy about.

Hell, it wouldn't be out of character for Strange to do. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Really? That was...disappointing. All of that genuinely creepy, if kinda predictable, build up, and then...an arena fight? Not even a Scarecrow-esque 'hide from the person trying to control you' section?

I did like the background and the constant clock ticking was really annoying, as was probably intentional, but still...

• Locked thread