Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cloks posted:

Do you have Club Nintendo points you can redeem? I'm 27 points away from my next five bucks so I'm just snagging one of the next Wii U downloads they offer.

When do the new ones go up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

greatn posted:

When do the new ones go up?

Sometime early next week

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

greatn posted:

Anyone have any $20 ideas what I should buy on WiiU eshop to get one last code while the promotion lasts? Captain Toad rolled me over to one $5 code and having 300 remaining points, so 200 more will get me one last code. My collection of eShop titles is somewhat extensive, so I'm more looking for diamonds in the rough, I have most of the more mainstream ones.

Do you already have all the digital games in the recommended list in the Wii U thread? If not, Armillo, Stealth Inc. 2, and Pikmin DLC. :v:

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 12, 2014

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The Hyrule Warriors season pass is $20 as well.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Did anyone pick up Lucadian Chronicles? I did and am having fun with the campaign, but it's lonely without people to play online with.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

numerrik posted:

Did anyone pick up Lucadian Chronicles? I did and am having fun with the campaign, but it's lonely without people to play online with.

I grabbed it last night. I played through the first map, got a "disconnected from server" message, and it crashed out to the WiiU menu on me.

Am I right in understanding that the game's mainly about positioning your dudes?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I grabbed it last night. I played through the first map, got a "disconnected from server" message, and it crashed out to the WiiU menu on me.

Am I right in understanding that the game's mainly about positioning your dudes?

Yeah. That's the long and short of it.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
I was disappointed to find that a lot of the card art looked unfinished or was just lifted from other places. "Saturn Devouring His Son" is used for one of the cards I can't remember the name of, but I noticed it while drafting.

The Wii U could really use some fun card games, even simple ones, but I feel like they didn't go far enough in a single direction with this one. The art's inconsistent and not impressive enough to make collecting for collecting's sake fun, the combat is about as shallow as a mobile CCG, and you don't get enough cards per pack to make spending gold feel worthwhile, especially not if you're hoping to evolve something. I got to the third chapter and still wasn't having much fun swapping cards around until something worked. The fact that it has two forms of online multi is actually pretty cool, there's just no depth whatsoever despite all the rules.

Can you tell I really wanted a decent TCG/CCG to play with the gamepad? Still waiting for someone to make an asynchronous multiplayer RPG as well. :(

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

The Manticore posted:

Still waiting for someone to make an asynchronous multiplayer RPG as well. :(
Hex Heroes is something vaguely along those lines, though it's much more of an RTS than an RPG - at least, in concept.

I think the most saddening thing to me about the Wii U is that I'm not very sure Nintendo will try "the Wii U but with better hardware" for the next generation. I would love to see everything about the Wii U stay in place for at least another generation because it offers an absurd variety and versatility - the Gamepad is an amazing controller that manages to offer a level of versatility that, in some ways, rivals the "mouse and keyboard" controller, and outright surpasses it in a few others.

The Wii U is tight as hell and the main reason I've opted to purposely support indie developers on it over Steam is because I want more of them to take note of the system and be able to think more about what they can do with it rather than how much money it's going to cost them:

quote:

I must ask: what's the business rationale for developing exclusively for the Wii U, given its struggling hardware sales?

Nifflas: I have no idea :) I just want to make a cool game for it!

Lau: Ha ha, yeah, if we wanted to earn money I guess we shouldn't be in games. It is really hard to make any sensible business rationales in this market. Yes, there are not that many Wii U consoles out there, but does it matter if there are 5 or 10 million units sold when we just need to sell some 10-20-30 thousand copies to be happy? As long as we keep our cost low, I think it is much more important to work on a platform that excites us than to work on the stuff that everybody else is doing.
(edited because I didn't like how much space my post took)

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 12, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is zero chance Nintendo will have a Gamepad with screen on their next system. It was a giant albatross around their neck and the only reason they didn't dump it Kinect style is because they couldn't.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
As much as I love the Wii U, I still don't think I've seen anything that really validates that drat touchscreen's existence. I guess off-TV play is cool, and if you have kids you can rig it up to play in the car fairly easily but man that's really it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love switching inputs and toggling volume with it, and using it when I can't find my remote. The gyro in it works amazingly well for fine tune aiming too. Roughly 70% of my playtime is spent off screen because my wife needs the TV or I'm just more comfortable.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Monkey Fracas posted:

As much as I love the Wii U, I still don't think I've seen anything that really validates that drat touchscreen's existence.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse might, just like its predecessor did for the DS for the first time

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

less laughter posted:

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse might, just like its predecessor did for the DS for the first time

That game looks like it may have the opposite problem.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ZombiU is probably still the coolest use of the gamepad but people are dumb and it'll never get a sequel

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Help Im Alive posted:

ZombiU is probably still the coolest use of the gamepad but people are dumb and it'll never get a sequel

I don't think it was dumb to presume an Ubisoft launch title named ZombiU was gonna suck.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Monkey Fracas posted:

As much as I love the Wii U, I still don't think I've seen anything that really validates that drat touchscreen's existence. I guess off-TV play is cool, and if you have kids you can rig it up to play in the car fairly easily but man that's really it.

Check out Nintendo Land sometime. Its pretty amazing. Also Hyrule Warriors. Both really use the Gamepad well, Especially the async splitscreen on Hyrule Warriors.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's also this:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Seeing all the Miiverse notes in Shovel Knight was a pretty rad use of the Game Pad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
VC watch: Pocky & Rocky with Becky (GBA) has appeared on the Aussie ratings board. One would imagine the two SNES games are coming, too, but who knows.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I watched the trailer for Harvest Moon 3 (GBC) and it seemed to seriously undersell the gameplay, except they went for a semi-creepy joke at the end that made the trailer confounding but worth it.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's also this:

goty

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Best Buy is doing 10% off eShop cards starting from today, I guess until the end of the week?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

I use it a lot when my wife wants to watch something on TV but I want to play Wii U. It's still way better to play the games on TV though, like they're clearly not designed to be on this tiny screen sometimes.

I also kind of like the Miiverse stuff in Mario World, although it's 90% people spamming the stamp you find on that level. Also every time I take a snapshot in Smash Bros I circle Captain Falcon's butt.

When do the Club Nintendo rewards change today? I want to see if there's anything worth spending the coins on.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

When do the Club Nintendo rewards change today? I want to see if there's anything worth spending the coins on.
Tomorrow. I don't remember the last time I saw Club Nintendo rewards change on the day they were listed for. It's generally somewhere around the afternoon, the following day.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

There's also this:

It's was either stuff like this or devs having to have 50K in the bank, have a business adress, not recieve a cent until they sell a certain number of units, and have that number reset every time they upload a patch. There is no middle ground, apparently. Thanks, Nintendo.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Those devs are (hopefully) just milking money from obnoxious nerds. I applaud them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BiggerJ posted:

It's was either stuff like this or devs having to have 50K in the bank, have a business adress, not recieve a cent until they sell a certain number of units, and have that number reset every time they upload a patch. There is no middle ground, apparently. Thanks, Nintendo.

Its hilarious to me this game will earn more money for its creator than Retro City Rampage did in Wii for its creator, while he whines that it never made a cent because of the Wii's policies and that he gets more requests a week for a WiiU version than he does sales.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

BiggerJ posted:

We're getting bad games regardless of how Nintendo handles their eShop, so be glad it's a little more open, now.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't know what kind of fair policy you could write up to screen for tastefulness. Filtering out adware (which Nintendo does) is a lot more feasible and objectively quantifiable than filtering bad internet humor.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of December 18):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Transformers Prime - €49.99 / £39.99
    Ben 10 Omniverse 2 - €39.99 / £29.99
WII U eSHOP
    99moves - €2.49 / £2.29 or €1.49 / £1.37 for owners of 99seconds, Darts Up, Abyss, Rock Zombie or Unepic
    Art of Balance (demo)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mighty Final Fight (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own Shovel Knight on 3DS, get the Wii U version for 33% off! - runs until January 1
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - €14.99 / £11.99 until December 18
    99seconds (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until December 25
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until December 25
    Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 from December 18-January 1
    SteamWorld Dig (Wii U eShop) - €4.49 / £3.49 from December 18-January 1
    Armillo (Wii U eShop) - €3.00 / £2.75 from December 18-January 8
    Art of Balance (Wii U eShop) - €6.70 / £5.35 from December 18-January 8
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 from December 18-January 8
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 from December 18-January 8
    Darts Up (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 from December 18-January 8
    Gravity Badgers (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.99 from December 18-January 8
    Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) - €4.79 / £3.99 from December 18-January 8
    Turtle Tale (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.65 from December 18-January 8
    Fit Music for Wii U (Wii U) - €14.90 / £12.40 until January 30
    Luv Me Buddies Wonderland (Wii U) - €14.90 / £12.40 until January 30

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Transformers Prime - €39.99 / £29.99
    Angry Birds Trilogy - €39.99 / £29.99
    Moshi Monsters Moshlings Theme Park - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Toys vs. Monsters - €3.99 / £3.99
    Castle Conquerors Defender - €4.99 / £3.99
    Sumico - €2.99 / £2.69
    Glory of Generals (demo)
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Persona Q DLC
  • Navigation: Marie - €2.99 / £2.69
  • Navigation: Nanako - €2.99 / £2.69
3DS MENU THEMES
    Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D - €1.49 / £1.39, free with eShop version of MGS3D from December 19
    Sonic Boom Theme Bundle (includes Sonic, Shadow, Amy and Chao themes) - €5.99 / £5.39
    Mario's Mighty Moustache - €1.99 / £1.79
    Luigi's Mighty Moustache - €1.99 / £1.79
    Tomodachi Life: Speech Bubble - €1.99 / £1.79
    Stripes (blue/white horizontal) - €0.99 / £0.89
    Stripes (red/white horizontal) - €0.99 / £0.89
[bDSiWARE[/B]
    My Aquarium: Seven Oceans - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own Shovel Knight on Wii U, get the 3DS version for 33% off! - runs until January 1
    Crash City Mayhem (3DS) - €7.99 / £6.99 until December 18
    Resident Evil Revelations (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.49 until December 18
    Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D (3DS) - €3.99 / £3.59 until December 18
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) - €11.99 / £9.99 until December 18
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS) - €19.99 / £17.99 until December 25
    Toys vs. Monsters (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.99 from December 18-December 31
    Van Helsing Sniper ZX100 (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.99 from December 18-December 31
    Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 from December 18-January 1
    Sayonara Umihara Kawase (3DS eShop) - €12.40 / £9.80 from December 18-January 1
    Code of Princess (3DS eShop) - €20.50 / £17.25 from December 18-January 1
    Steamworld Dig (3DS eShop) - €4.49 / £3.99 from December 18-January 1
    AeternoBlade (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.40 until January 1
    Witch & Hero (3DS eShop) - €1.99/£1.79 until January 1
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until January 8
    Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS eShop) - €5.20 / £4.70 from December 18-January 8
    Darts Up (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 from December 18-January 8
    Demon King Box (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.19 from December 18-January 8
    European Conqueror 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.49 from December 18-January 8
    Football Up 3D (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.56 from December 18-January 8
    Football Up 3D (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 from December 18-January 8
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €2.20 / £1.85 from December 18-January 8
    Fractured Soul (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £1.99 from December 18-January 8
    Glory of General 3D (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £5.99 from December 18-January 8
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €6.70 / £5.70 from December 18-January 8
    KORG DSN-12 (3DS eShop) - €14.99 / £12.49 from December 18-January 8
    KORG M01D (3DS eShop) - €12.49 / £9.99 from December 18-January 8
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.35 from December 18-January 8
    KORG DSN-12 (3DS eShop) - €14.99 / £12.49 from December 18-January 8
    Turtle Tale (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.65 from December 18-January 8
    Winter Sports 2012 - Feel the Spirit (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 from December 18-January 8

Street Fighter 2010 Is A Good Game.

Lots of upcoming sales for both Wii U and 3DS, including a lot of the better indie games for each platform, but I'll make special note of Korg MO1D/DSN-12 for 3DS, as this'll be the first time they've gone on sale in PAL-land.

That "Sonic Boom" theme bundle features the classic (3D-era) character designs instead of the Sonic Boom character designs for whatever reason. Does anyone care? No?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 15, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Are both those VC games already on the eShop for 3DS?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yup.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D (December 19) - €? / £?

I wonder why this is here; I bought it on the European eShop months ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zat posted:

I wonder why this is here; I bought it on the European eShop months ago.

That's my bad, I misread something relating to the free menu theme.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I rather doubt that's the case, but better check, does Steamworld Dig have crossbuy? Or maybe a crossbuy discount?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They were doing a crossbuy discount for a little while but that was just a launch promo, I think.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I know not everyone owns both a 3DS and a WiiU, but it's a little annoying that the only offerings this week are basically duplicates. :(

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
New North America club nintendo rewards:

Wii U

- Kirby's Dreamland 3 (200 coins)
-Metroid (200 coins)

Wii

-Super Mario Kart (250 coins)
-1080 Snowboarding (250 coins)

3DS

-A Kappa's Trail (200 coins)
-Kid Icarus (gameboy) (150 coins)
-Bird & Beans (150 coins)
-Radar Mission (150 coins)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sweet, I don't have Metroid yet and I can snatch Kirby for my little cousin.