Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think it's a very interesting direction to go for a SRW game because it's relatively unpredictable as far as how the story is going to play out. In Alpha 3 they pretty much did a paint-by-numbers "Let's deal with each new series in sequence" approach before the big finale with the original enemies. Here Diebuster and Gargantia don't really provide enough to hang an entire game's plotline on, so they're going to need to get creative with crossover and/or original stuff. This is good, because crossover stuff is almost always way more entertaining than new series plotlines played straight.

Also the series list is absolutely mammoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Eternal Volfogg posted:

Overall im hyped about the announcement, but not crazy hyped like I was for OGs2. I think everyone is only focusing on the "new" series as if they are all thats going to be different and I think that is wayyyyy incorrect. They weren't shown in the trailer but we need to remember a lot of the series we played with LAST game, (Z3.1) were missing large chunks of their cast. Immediately GSD comes to mind, so i'm hoping we'll see Athrun, Cagalli, Lunamaria etc all come back with the returning Z2 shows.

Theres the potential for the Hi-Nu and Nightingale still there (though remote), we could see more Geass folks back as playable as well as things like the Battle 7 (based on the inclusion of those Macross 7 attack cut-ins).

Thats not even mentioning the potential for truly whacky stuff that they wouldn't have to mention in the series list, like upgrades to originals (even gunelon and brasta could potentially receive them).

In short, i think focusing solely on the series list and new series is a good way to un-hype a potentially awesome finale. I doubt it will rival Alpha 3 for me, but we will see.
I hope having few new characters means fewer lead-in stages before they get to the meat of stuff. I like them for playing the first time through ok, but for replays I just want them to be over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm betting we get pretty much exactly the same situation as in Z2.2 where we get a few stages of effectively-cutscene buildup.

It'll probably include Shinji going berserk in Eva-01, probably Riddhe and Banagher getting owned by Banshee, the FMP novel buildup (as seen in the trailer) and a few other things. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those things is Ledo's starting mission from Gargantia but with STMC or Invanders mixed in.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
The preview trailer got translated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5J_TXjhjes

And then there's a second subtitle track with... something going on.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Also I don't recall anyone complaining about CCA in Z3.1. I thought everyone was in a pretty loving good mood when they realized it was actually being included fully instead of the in-name-only presence it's had for a while with the Nu being present.
I remember a slight bit of anger from certain people actually when that was revealed because "It was out of character for Quattro in the Z series"

Which of course, is why I figured they were going to do a subversion. Terada got pretty lazy with his half-truths too, he basically went "Quattro won't be a usable character in Z3-1" which is just so... simple to see through.

Kanos posted:

Also the series list is absolutely mammoth.
Well, I think it gets cut down a little bit if you take Votoms as 1 series instead of the 5 it's listed as here.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Davzz posted:

Well, I think it gets cut down a little bit if you take Votoms as 1 series instead of the 5 it's listed as here.

This iteration of Z3 features 31 dicrete series assuming you roll all the various OVAs/movies into their parent series, which is titanic by SRW standards. Applying the same counting rules to Alpha 3, commonly regarded as "WHOA MY GOD MASSIVE GAME WORTHY ENDING TO A SERIES" and the closest thing to a fair point of comparison since it was also the final game in an ongoing SRW saga, gives you 25.

Basically my point is that there's an absolute poo poo ton of material and variety for them to work with to cook up something interesting and plenty of potential side units or unexpected returning faces from included series to make up for having half a dozen brand new shiny plotlines for them to traverse. Working with mostly returning series also gives them a ton of time and space to do awesome crossover things with the units they have that they might not have if they had more new series. Wedging new series into a grand series finale doesn't always work out that well, as SEED in Alpha 3 shows us.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The lack of Hathaway's Flash still feels like not firing Chekov's Gun to me, though.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I'm honestly not really one of the people who put @3 on some kind of super high pedestal, if you ask me my favourite out of all the Alpha games it's gonna be Alpha 1 or Gaiden.

But I can't really articulate why Z3-2 is disappointing even when I lowered my expectations a lot for it (well, IMO)

It's most likely what the "split-game" thing does to expectations, maybe.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Davzz posted:

I'm honestly not really one of the people who put @3 on some kind of super high pedestal, if you ask me my favourite out of all the Alpha games it's gonna be Alpha 1 or Gaiden.

But I can't really articulate why Z3-2 is disappointing even when I lowered my expectations a lot for it (well, IMO)

It's most likely what the "split-game" thing does to expectations, maybe.

I'm sort of on the same boat as you. I was looking forward to this preview this morning, but when it came time and I finished watching it I was left feeling... meh? I mean I know there is a lot of new stuff, they've got good 00 gundam stuff, the second half of Unicorn and a bunch of other plots that I will find interesting, but I think the problem is that it was all stuff that I was expecting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

gently caress it, I'm setting up a japanese PSN account and restarting Z3.1 on it so I can have the bonus side-game for Z3.2. At leats this means I can get DLC this time. Any worth getting or are they all crap?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress it, I'm setting up a japanese PSN account and restarting Z3.1 on it so I can have the bonus side-game for Z3.2. At leats this means I can get DLC this time. Any worth getting or are they all crap?

If you don't read Japanese most of them won't really do anything for you because gameplay wise they're all pretty much empty filler. They're mostly there for cool character interactions on the side of the main story.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

If you don't read Japanese most of them won't really do anything for you because gameplay wise they're all pretty much empty filler. They're mostly there for cool character interactions on the side of the main story.

I'm currently learning japanese. While I can only read the kana and about 20 kanjis, I'm slowly getting better. So in like 6 months-a year, I should be able to read pretty well (fingers crossed).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I guess I'm not sure what people wanted? I mean part of why we knew what was coming was because it made sense that it was coming and followed naturally from the ideas they already introduced. Z2.2 introduced Geass R2, 00 S2, Tetsujin 28-Go and brought Macross 7 back. (It technically introduced Dynamite and the Frontier movie too.)

Except for Tetsujin which was a legitimate surprise every single one of those series was plainly foreshadowed during Z2.1. Z3.1 followed the exact same thing. We knew what was coming because it made sense that it was coming.

I think introducing series that make sense is a better sign they're actually going to put effort into doing good crossover stuff as opposed to randomly tossing in Gundam Build Fighters because it aired recently.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I want the ability to murder Eureka 7 AO. Like, everything about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the game isn't even out yet, all we know is the series list, how can people be giving opinions on it already

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

the game isn't even out yet, all we know is the series list, how can people be giving opinions on it already
Well, SRW is deeply entrenched in tradition so we can make SOME predictions about unreleased games.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
That Mazinger Z attack animation in that PV is way too busy. I don't know if I could survive in a world where Mazinger Z does like three or four different things in a row during an attack animation as if it were a real robot.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

You shouldn't need a Japanese PSN account unless you're playing on the Vita. PS3 has no problems letting you use Japanese DLC on an American account running a Japanese game.

Edit for asterisk: You do need a Japanese account to download the DLC. But you don't have to specifically play the game on that account if your save exists on a different account on the same console.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hokuto posted:

You shouldn't need a Japanese PSN account unless you're playing on the Vita. PS3 has no problems letting you use Japanese DLC on an American account running a Japanese game.

Edit for asterisk: You do need a Japanese account to download the DLC. But you don't have to specifically play the game on that account if your save exists on a different account on the same console.

Yeah, I'm playing on Vita. Those kind of games are amazing to play "on the go".

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yeah, in that case, you will need a Japanese PSN account and you will also have to factory reset your Vita to change to that account. I learned this the hard way. :argh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I already did it. It wasn't that hard, considering I already had my old 8-gig memory card from before I upgraded to my current (bigger) one. The painful part will be switching between the two of them and resetting the console every goddamn time.

On the bright side, I can finally install my copy of Super Robot Wars 1 I got when I bought the game so long ago.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mercury Crusader posted:

That Mazinger Z attack animation in that PV is way too busy. I don't know if I could survive in a world where Mazinger Z does like three or four different things in a row during an attack animation as if it were a real robot.
Yeah, I feel the same way about Mazinger, Shin Getter, and Zambot. Reals should be the ones doing combos and Supers should be doing singular powerful impacts. poo poo, even Beam Magnum looks kind of weak given that Banagher fires 6 shots during the animation.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mercury Crusader posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asFfUL7tYdw&t=43s

Just saying.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way about Mazinger, Shin Getter, and Zambot. Reals should be the ones doing combos and Supers should be doing singular powerful impacts. poo poo, even Beam Magnum looks kind of weak given that Banagher fires 6 shots during the animation.

Maybe Mazinge, but Shin Getter and Zambot were simply showing off one weapon, and the various ways said weapon can be used to stab/slash/become a scythe while already in the opponent.

I thought it looked cool, given the sheer amount of WTFery inherent in combining robots, I see no reason why their weapons should make any more sense.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That reminds me, I guess Tetsuya could theoretically show up in this game and the series list would look the same?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
So I'm behind on the Z series. I haven't picked up Z3 yet but I'll pick up the Best collection when it comes out next year. Is it a fun playthrough? Also can I put Amuro in the Unicorn Gundam?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Revolver Bunker posted:

So I'm behind on the Z series. I haven't picked up Z3 yet but I'll pick up the Best collection when it comes out next year. Is it a fun playthrough? Also can I put Amuro in the Unicorn Gundam?

Z3 is quite good. Easy, but a bit better designed than Z2.

Sadly no. Unicorn is both canonically and gamewise locked to Banagher.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

I'm used to my attack animations being stock footage found in both OPs and at least a hundred times throughout the series.

That's actually cool that the attack is a reference to the second OP, didn't actually realize that. It's been a while since I last saw the show, and that clip goes by pretty fast.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Put this in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2An7wL09YiI

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I couldn't figure out how on Earth to get the SP for the level of Alpha 2 I was on so I went and watched the walkthrough of that level on NicoNico. After watching the player soft-reset at least 50 times on that level I decided the SP really isn't worth it this time around. The difficulty in this game is all over the place. I've been waltzing right through 8 or so levels in a row, SP and all, and then suddenly I just run into this brick wall. It doesn't help that both the SP and the secret you can get in the stage both require enormous amounts of soft-resetting to get. I decided to invest the time in the secret and just ignore the SP. Not like it determines the ending I get like it did in Alpha.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

That reminds me, I guess Tetsuya could theoretically show up in this game and the series list would look the same?

Was there any indication in Z3.1 that they weren't finished with the Shin Mazinger story? I think I remember the preview thing at the end having some scene with Kouji interacting with the Shin Getter people.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I feel like they might do some kind of new original thing with Mazinger and Getter like with how they created Mazinkaiser and Shin Getter. So like...a Shin Mazinkaiser and...Shin Shin Getter.

E: Gotta love how they call back to Crowe's ridiculously long snipe-and-miss attack from 2.1. "I've been brushing up on my sniping skills" indeed :v:

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 13, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

FInally time to introduce Getter Emperor:unsmigghh:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Am I just tripping and misremembering or do they do the thing where the princess from the wing-aliens forgets who she is while you fight her brother in both Alpha AND Alpha 2? I'm going through this and feeling some serious deja-vu about this whole storyline. Maybe because I went the Super route in Alpha and the Real route in Alpha 2?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Am I just tripping and misremembering or do they do the thing where the princess from the wing-aliens forgets who she is while you fight her brother in both Alpha AND Alpha 2? I'm going through this and feeling some serious deja-vu about this whole storyline. Maybe because I went the Super route in Alpha and the Real route in Alpha 2?
Well, I don't think Daimos was in Alpha 1.

Unless there is SOME other Winged Princess love story in a mecha anime in Alpha...

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

Well, I don't think Daimos was in Alpha 1.

Unless there is SOME other Winged Princess love story in a mecha anime in Alpha...

You are correct. I was actually thinking of Advance. I was playing Alpha and Advance simultaneously for a while so I must have just gotten them confused.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Tetsuya, Kouji and Ryouma for a new Dynamic Special? I'd like that...

Tetsuya doesn't even need to grab a new Great - just have someone fix this bad boy up for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDj1KTha8go

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brunom1 posted:

Tetsuya, Kouji and Ryouma for a new Dynamic Special? I'd like that...

Tetsuya doesn't even need to grab a new Great - just have someone fix this bad boy up for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDj1KTha8go

I wish SRW had carried over the narrator.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

I wish SRW had carried over the narrator.

The narrator is going to be a secret character in Z3.2. He can rocket punch multiple times in a single sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Mazinger Angels and Dino Getter :getin:

Ethiser posted:

FInally time to introduce Getter Emperor:unsmigghh:

I fuckin wish.

• Locked thread