Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It only just occured to me now, but why can't ants wear two pairs of gloves if they have four arms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Gloves require fingers to stay on. Only one pair of manipulators on Formicids are interfaceable with gloves. :v:

Also the same reason they don't gain an extra set of rings.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Also the same reason they don't gain an extra set of rings.

It would be incredibly garish?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

FR: Kitten Mittons

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Arrhythmia posted:

It would be incredibly garish?
Goons dont get to make comments on style.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

JollyGreen posted:

Can you game manuals of X to get a boost with ash's skill transfer ability?

Can you be more specific? There are at least 3 different scenarios you could mean and 2 of them don't work.

I have 20 maces, 0 polearms, 0 bows. I have a manual of bows. Transferring skill Maces -> Bows will take advantage of the manual.
I have 20 maces, 0 polearms, 0 bows. I have a manual of polearms. Transferring skill Maces -> Polearms -> Bows will not give any benefit.
I have 20 maces, 0 polearms, 0 bows. I have a manual of maces. Training maces with the manual and then transferring skill Maces -> Bows will not give any benefit.

Someone can feel free to correct me but I believe this is correct. Transfer skill transfers exp, apt only changes the skill you get from gaining a given amount of exp. When you go to transfer the exp, you only transfer the base EXP not the modified value (which I think behind the scenes is "skill points" or something, modified by apt and also IIRC total skills?).

e: I asked on IRC and someone pretty knowledgeable thinks Scenarios 2/3 might work???

Read fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 13, 2014

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
How about scenario #1, but transferring Bows->Maces after using up the manual?
Worthwhile or no?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

When are imps going to be a playable race ?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Why would imps be a playable race?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Aston posted:

When are imps going to be a playable race ?

Play a Vampire Warper/Ice Elementalist/Necromancer/(insert iron imp replacement) and stay in Bat Form at all times.

E: Also, short-blade stabbing Felid claws has made me enjoy playing a Felid for the first time, please never nerf this.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 13, 2014

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

IronicDongz posted:

Why would imps be a playable race?

I'm not sure I understand this question

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Aston posted:

Crawl tends to be very rigorous when it comes to adding features/content, so unironically saying "when's X being added" is usually immediately followed by "what would adding X contribute to the game".

I mean, being an imp sounds cool, turn the tables and annoy the poo poo out of everyone!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How about scenario #1, but transferring Bows->Maces after using up the manual?
Worthwhile or no?

Same benefit either way I think.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Read posted:

Can you be more specific? There are at least 3 different scenarios you could mean and 2 of them don't work.

I have 20 maces, 0 polearms, 0 bows. I have a manual of bows. Transferring skill Maces -> Bows will take advantage of the manual.
I have 20 maces, 0 polearms, 0 bows. I have a manual of polearms. Transferring skill Maces -> Polearms -> Bows will not give any benefit.
I have 20 maces, 0 polearms, 0 bows. I have a manual of maces. Training maces with the manual and then transferring skill Maces -> Bows will not give any benefit.

Someone can feel free to correct me but I believe this is correct. Transfer skill transfers exp, apt only changes the skill you get from gaining a given amount of exp. When you go to transfer the exp, you only transfer the base EXP not the modified value (which I think behind the scenes is "skill points" or something, modified by apt and also IIRC total skills?).

e: I asked on IRC and someone pretty knowledgeable thinks Scenarios 2/3 might work???
Skill transfer doesn't transfer exp but "skill points". The relative value of skill points is based on the skill level and your aptitude. Using a manual gives you more skill points for the same experience, but your aptitudes don't change, so when you use skill transfer you get the "full value" (according to your aptitudes) for skill points you paid half cost for (thanks to the manual).

Read
Dec 21, 2010

kaschei posted:

Skill transfer doesn't transfer exp but "skill points". The relative value of skill points is based on the skill level and your aptitude. Using a manual gives you more skill points for the same experience, but your aptitudes don't change, so when you use skill transfer you get the "full value" (according to your aptitudes) for skill points you paid half cost for (thanks to the manual).

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. So it does work, okay. Neat!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
drat spellbook writers, always breaking tables with their arcane power

Aston posted:

Like, what would be the mechanical differences between them and species that already exist? What kind of imp are they? Do they get a type like draconians get color? Do they have innate blink or something?

e: it would actually be interesting if they sometimes(after gaining a certain amount of XP) randomly switched 'color', like you could be a red imp with high tloc skill and ev and then transform into a iron imp with innate AC instead.
of course, the biggest thing to balance around would inevitably be the innate rN+++/torment immunity, poison immunity etc. that comes from being demonic. I would say they could be half-imps but demonspawn already exist? and that already covers most of the flavor that comes from imps anyways

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 14, 2014

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

drat spellbook writers, always breaking tables with their arcane power

Like, what would be the mechanical differences between them and species that already exist? What kind of imp are they? Do they get a type like draconians get color? Do they have innate blink or something?

This is even worse offline because you can't even scroll to see the rest of the message.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I support imp race.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

I support imp race.

yeah, same

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm pretty sure I'm going to die horribly because the RNG has been far too kind to me. Haste and cTele castable since mid-Lair, wands of heal wounds and teleport and 6 scrolls of recharging to back them up, Firestorm at 9% with wizardry and a staff of energy so that I don't starve to death when I get to V:5 and firestorm it repeatedly.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

I support imp race.

same, because I just counted and we only have 26 races, which is basically unacceptable

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Arrhythmia posted:

same, because I just counted and we only have 26 races, which is basically unacceptable
Replace "look at me im a crazy cat lady" race with Imp and some new version of Djinn.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Imp is the race we deserve.

e: Ascended a HuAM today. Ended up going straight melee as Ru and working translocations to cover for sacrificing scrolls. I can't really tell if Ru is overpowered. At the very least, he's really fun and interesting.

Old Dun Cow fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 14, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Have we already forgotten that the only true 27th race is Crabfolk?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

118 goddamn damage from Frederick and his spellforged servitor both iron shotting me at once. RIP.

vOv fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 14, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Old Dun Cow posted:

e: Ascended a HuAM today. Ended up going straight melee as Ru and working translocations to cover for sacrificing scrolls. I can't really tell if Ru is overpowered. At the very least, he's really fun and interesting.

I'm not quite convinced on Ru yet, and I've won with him three times so far. The powers are so blatantly overpowered that it kind of overtakes everything else you do on your character. The conduct is far more interesting than the powers, but once you finish the conduct it's just kinda breeze through the rest of the game. The game becomes more about "You are a Ru worshipper" than about "You are an unique race making do with what you found throughout the game, with supplementary god powers". A couple other gods have this problem but none of them as badly as Ru does, IMO.

I wonder what the win rate is for characters with max Ru piety, or if it's even possible to do a listgame check with piety filters?

apple
May 18, 2003

Brannock posted:

I'm not quite convinced on Ru yet, and I've won with him three times so far. The powers are so blatantly overpowered that it kind of overtakes everything else you do on your character. The conduct is far more interesting than the powers, but once you finish the conduct it's just kinda breeze through the rest of the game. The game becomes more about "You are a Ru worshipper" than about "You are an unique race making do with what you found throughout the game, with supplementary god powers". A couple other gods have this problem but none of them as badly as Ru does, IMO.

I wonder what the win rate is for characters with max Ru piety, or if it's even possible to do a listgame check with piety filters?

You still kind of have to APOCALYPSE :black101: responsibly, I imagine less experienced players have trouble gauging the situation correctly, kind of how you can get Death's Door but still somehow royally mess up your escape from the Bad Situation. I totally agree with how Ru overtakes everything else you do, but I guess that goes hand in hand with taking away your options through sacrifices. With its current design I imagine Ru could be slightly less powerful with slightly less harsh sacrifices overall.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Brannock posted:

Chei characters that reach max piety win 9.16% of the time

Trog: 11.72%

Ru: 23.12%

Fedhas: 24.54%

TSO: 41.16%

the query is !lm * god=ru god.maxpiety / won

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Brannock posted:

Sequell | 133/550 games for * (ru piety>=160): N=133/550 (24.18%)

kaschei posted:

the query is !lm * god=ru god.maxpiety / won

This is a bad way to do the query.

143406 milestones for * (god.maxpiety): count(game_key)=136222

A single game can have many milestones where the player was at maxpiety.

Nevermind, forgot god.maxpiety is a milestone not a variable check.

Read fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 14, 2014

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

IronicDongz posted:

Like, what would be the mechanical differences between them and species that already exist?

The other species are not imps, but this one would be an imp.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Small size, innate flight at a certain point and much like Draconians they can get a colour at somewhere around XL5.

Red: Blink mutation, rF+, rC-
White: Ice magic aptitude boost, rC+, rF-
Shadow: Necromancy aptitude boost, rN+ stealth+
Iron: iunno. AC and HP boost? Maybe rElec?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
just edit your rcfile to make your tile an imp's

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

you goobers

apple
May 18, 2003

Ok ok, Crabfolks and Imps don't have to compete for race 27, just add Impcrabs

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh man that was a nasty splat.

quote:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-3125-g5b673fb (webtiles) character file.

121717 lawman0 the Eclecticist (level 16, -3/91 HPs)
Began as an Octopode Ice Elementalist on Dec 13, 2014.
Was the Champion of Vehumet.
Slain by a troll (4 damage)
... on level 4 of the Orcish Mines on Dec 14, 2014.
The game lasted 02:14:00 (35533 turns).

lawman0 the Eclecticist (OpIE) Turns: 35533, Time: 02:14:00

Health: -3/91 AC: 6 Str: 8 XL: 16 Next: 85%
Magic: 36/46 EV: 15 Int: 27 God: Vehumet [******]
Gold: 1385 SH: 5 Dex: 14 Spells: 13 memorised, 0 levels left

rFire x . . SeeInvis + b - staff of conjuration
rCold + + . Clarity . n - +0 buckler
rNeg . . . SustAb . (helmet restricted)
rPois + Gourm . x - amulet of regeneration
rElec . Spirit . k - ring of invisibility
rCorr . Warding . m - ring of ice
rMut . Stasis . Q - ring "Ottet" {rC+ Int+3}
MR +.... K - ring of poison resistance
Stlth +++++..... X - ring of magical power
C - ring of wizardry
j - ring of see invisible
q - +5 ring of protection

@: very slightly contaminated, repel missiles, invisible, somewhat resistant to
hostile enchantments, quite stealthy
A: almost no armour, amphibious, 8 rings, constrict 8, tentacle spike 1,
camouflage 1, agile 1, gelatinous body 1
a: Renounce Religion

code:
,*≈,.#...*
,*≈..#..#*     *****
,*≈.§...##   **#≈≈≈*
*#≈...§§.#**##§≈≈≈≈*
≈≈≈§§[§§§.,##≈§#####
§§§..#§§§,,#≈≈≈#...#
§§..#...####≈§§#TTT##**
§§...........≈8##oTO#,*
§§......###...ZZ@TOo+,*
§§§.....####≈≈8##T..#,*
§§§.......##≈≈≈#.TT##**
..#......####Ť#...#
.##.....##  ##≈#####
.........#####≈≈≈≈≈*
.....#....#.####≈≈≈*
........P......##***
..#........P...#
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/lawman0/morgue-lawman0-20141214-011904.txt
Please pay attention to where you 'o'.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Did you think you could take them? Because I don't see any indication you read your scroll of teleport as soon as you, quite literally, ran into that situation.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Those new Orc vaults with the trolls and giants and whatnot are catching so many people off guard.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
So I just cast singularity over the lava in Cerebov's chamber to see if he could be incinerated and instead I think I found a bug. He got pulled in but didn't die, but now he can't move either so he's just hanging out, dueling with my singularities.

Welp nevermind, turns out I just didn't pull him far enough in. He doesn't incinerate though, he drowns!

Also as it turns out, are there any plans to make a translocations staff now that there are actually fun offensive spells in the school?

Person Dyslexic fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 14, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Did you think you could take them? Because I don't see any indication you read your scroll of teleport as soon as you, quite literally, ran into that situation.
I popped invis instead and tried to make a run for my skeletons because tele would take too long.
code:
35530 | Orc:4    | gently caress
35532 | Orc:4    | HP: 1/91 [troll (8)]
35533 | Orc:4    | Slain by a troll
Almost made it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Good man, thought you were making a last stand in front of the entrance to that vault instead.

• Locked thread