Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

420 Gank Mid posted:

Chief Architect for Black Harren.
Gurm is already the gooniest of goons. I mean just look at him. What other in-jokes could there be? Eat the pies, Lord Bolton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, Native Americans right? All they do is bitch and moan because they lost a war all while living on land that we gave them and not paying taxes. We won the war! We earned the right to wear their silly feather hats and name our sports teams after them. If they had won I'm sure there would be professional lacrosse teams named "White Devils" and "The Fighting Pilgrims" and what not. Bunch of cry babies. It's not cultural appropriation if you beat the poo poo out of a people in fair open combat.

That's why nearly everyone but Spain gets to wear lederhosen if they want.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ugh, Native Americans right? All they do is bitch and moan because they lost a war all while living on land that we gave them and not paying taxes. We won the war! We earned the right to wear their silly feather hats and name our sports teams after them. If they had won I'm sure there would be professional lacrosse teams named "White Devils" and "The Fighting Pilgrims" and what not. Bunch of cry babies. It's not cultural appropriation if you beat the poo poo out of a people in fair open combat.

nah

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I don't know what is happening. I'm gonna go gently caress this bear.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

quote:

#12DaysofWesteros is NOT a countdown to the release of WoW, we're sorry for those of you who were misled, just spreading Christmas Cheer :)

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/543519400561610752

Zero self-awareness.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ho ho ho.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Solice Kirsk posted:

The hell is this poo poo doing in the fat food rapist appreciation thread?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Source your quotes please.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Lmao he really is an rear end in a top hat

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

this_is_hard posted:

Lmao he really is an rear end in a top hat

I wish he hadn't said anything. Sort of takes the fun out of the let down.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well he's an Absolute Fucker, as we have well-established. Him letting us have any enjoyment from his garbage output would be too much.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haha, drat son.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

12 Years a Slave (to These Books)

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The "Christmas Cheer :)" caused GRRM to have a meltdown.

quote:

It seems I need to clarify once more.

I am NOT on Twitter. I am NOT on Facebook. The only place I post myself, in my own words, is here on Live Journal.

I do have an official Twitter account, and an official Facebook account. I established these in self-defense, because there were fake accounts out there, where people pretending to be me were making various spurious pronouncements... pronouncements that would then get picked up all over the internet and repeated as if they were gospel.

The official Twitter and Facebook accounts are maintained for me by my minions and my publishers. I don't post there myself. I don't even read them or check comments. I have other stuff to do. LOTS of other stuff.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, Raya came to me and said the folks at Random House wanted to do a special promotion on Twitter, a "Twelve Days of Christmas" with a Westerosi twist. Did they have the green light? It sounded fun, and funny, so I said sure, and thought no more of it. It was just a little Christmas celebration.

But then, somehow, from somewhere, the rumor arose that the "12 Days" were actually a countdown... not to Xmas, but to the publication of THE WINDS OF WINTER, or the announcement of its completion and/ or pub date.

Sorry. Not true. Look, I've said before, and I will say again, I don't play games with news about the books. I know how many people are waiting, how long they have been waiting, how anxious they are. I am still working on WINDS. When it's done, I will announce it here. There won't be any clues to decipher, any codes or hidden meanings, the announcement will be straightforward and to the point. I won't time it to coincide with Xmas or Valentine's Day or Lincoln's Birthday, the book will not rise from the dead with Jesus on Easter Sunday. When it is done, I will say that's it is done, on whatever day I happen to finish.

I don't know how I can make it any clearer.

And while I am debunking rumors, let me also say that this story about me being inspired to finsh WINDS by STAR WARS is also utter bullshit, and I have NO idea where that one came from. (I liked the first two STAR WARS movies, the third not so much, the prequels not at all, and the trailer for the new one had no impact on me one way or the other, and let's face it, even the best of 'em is no FORBIDDEN PLANET. Robby is my robot ideal, not C3PO or R2D2). Made up out of whole cloth, so far as I know.

It really stuns me how widely the STAR WARS thing has been disseminated. Truly, internet journalism is an oxymoron.

As Mark Twain once said, "A lie can travel halfway around the world while truth is putting on its shoes."

Current Location:Santa Fe

Current Mood: frustrated

http://grrm.livejournal.com/395189.html

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

quote:

I don't play games with news about the books.

It might be a lovely game but procrastination is still a loving game.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

mind the walrus posted:

I hope he dies soon

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Playing a game implies some sort of effort.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"GRRMspeaking" is not what I'd recommend as name choice for a Twitter maintained by minions or publishers. That's probably info you should include in the description too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TequilaJesus posted:

Playing a game implies some sort of effort.

Haven't you ever known someone who would put in a herculean amount of effort just so they wouldn't have to do something direct? Like they'd walk all up and down the handicapped ramp just so they wouldn't have to walk up 10 steep stairs? GRRM is that kind-of guy.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I want to be one of the minions that speaks for The GRRM.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rannos22 posted:

I want to be one of the minions that speaks for The GRRM.

pour poo poo in your dick and squirt it out and no one will know the difference

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

quote:

let's face it, even the best of 'em is no FORBIDDEN PLANET.

Oh my god, he has such lovely taste in movies. How did a guy who thinks Forbidden Planet to be the apex of scifi storytelling manage to write three astoundingly good novels?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh my god, he has such lovely taste in movies. How did a guy who thinks Forbidden Planet to be the apex of scifi storytelling manage to write three astoundingly good novels?

Other than Storm of Swords what are the other two novels?

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

why would you read storm of swords without liking the other 2

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How long until he rage quits and openly cancels the series?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I could see him doing that if a late draft of WoW found its way online before/just after being announced as published, but that would

1. Require him to actually have a WoW draft near any state of completion

2. Use a digital format created after the Reagan years

Neither of which are very likely.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

in 2017 his publisher will announce that it will be out in 2020

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
someone just tell him to stop working on the book since no one gives a poo poo anymore

he can be free and so can we

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

In It For The Tank posted:

a. I have lots of things to do.

Hopefully at least one of them is finishing the book.

b. Who the hell uses livejournal anymore?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

Who the hell uses livejournal anymore?

If it's good enough for Martin, it's good enough for me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Damo posted:

he can be free and so can we

The fucker don't deserve that. And neither does we.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

What's more bizarre than Livejournal still existing is that Deadjournal is also extant.

And Vampire Freaks as well.

Nothing quite says "gently caress the mainstream" like having a Christmas sale :allears:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lycus posted:

"GRRMspeaking" is not what I'd recommend as name choice for a Twitter maintained by minions or publishers. That's probably info you should include in the description too.

I'm pretty sure they don't want Grrm outright stating that he has nothing to do with that twitter account, he just can't control himself when he's throwing a neckbeard tantrum. Speaking of, I wonder what kinda internet rumors would get him to bite the TV hand that feeds him? "George RR Martin says in interview that HBO's writers are doing a much better job with Tyrion's characterization than he himself could ever manage"? If theres any badthreaders that write for a nerdblog, please stir up some more poo poo while he's still feeling that holiday/shitdick-anniversary season grrumpiness.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trabandiumium posted:

why would you read storm of swords without liking the other 2

The first two books aren't bad but neither are astoundingly good.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys, I'm going to attempt to listen to the ASoIaF books on "tape" (well, I'm trying for the first three books at least, we'll see how bored I get how fast) as I'm going to be doing some work soon wherein this would probably help pass some time. I've only truly read the books through once, other than that I've just skipped around and re-read certain chapters or sections, so I'm actually a little excited since I'm sure I missed lots of revolting passages and details.

The most common version seems to be the ones read by Roy Dotrice, at least, that's what's on Audibleit *seems*, and he's read every book though he sounds considerably more quavery in the sample from ADWD. This Roy Avers fellow also seems to have recorded versions of AGoT and ASOS, but none of the other books, and it seems like there were several recordings of AFFC made before Dotrice recorded a version. He seems fairly beloved so I guess I'll go with him unless you guys strongly tell me that Avers is much better. Dotrice seems to be to do thick regional British dialects, at least, and those are fun to hear.

I childishly wish there was an Iain Glen recording of the whole series - I listened to his recording of "The Princess and the Queen", and it was just freaking outstanding. I could listen to that guy read the phone book.

edit: Thinkin' I'm going to stick with Dotrice. His are the most easily available and he's narrated all 5 books (and seems to be the only one who narrated books 2 and 5) and continuity is always nice as long as the narrator is doing a good job. Out of curiosity, was the Avers one recorded first, or for the American release, or something else? God help me I don't think I could stand to actually *listen* to ADWD, though. Insert your joke about a distinguished Shakespearean actor reading "sunset found her squatting in the grass..." joke here.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 14, 2014

freypies
Jan 6, 2014
Goddamnit. If I tried to tell my bosses that my work would be ready when it was ready they'd loving fire me; how the hell does this sepsis riddled dick not get at the very least angry letters from his publisher?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

freypies posted:

Goddamnit. If I tried to tell my bosses that my work would be ready when it was ready they'd loving fire me; how the hell does this sepsis riddled dick not get at the very least angry letters from his publisher?

he has money independent of being an author or even of being the author of a novel series based on a tv show

freypies
Jan 6, 2014
From the theatre?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
the publisher needs him more than he needs them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

In It For The Tank posted:

When GRRM gets angry and petulant, I get tingly in my no-no spot.