Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MarsDragon posted:

It's "hold out for ten turns", isn't it? Or some other timelimit.

It's keep the enemy from entering a giant section of the map for several turns while they infinitely respawn. Random STMC units respawning in random locations at the edge of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mercury Crusader posted:

In my SRW fanfic I am Toei and I interpret every series in a '70s super robot style. Get ready for 90+ stages and monster-of-the-week plots for at least 85 of those stages.

...Impact?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Getsuya posted:

You know what would be cool? I've been listening to a podcast called Nightvale lately that uses the podcast format to basically tell an episodic story (I'm sure there's plenty more podcasts that do this, this is just the first one I've heard that is done this way). It got me thinking about all those original SRW game ideas people post in this thread with their ideal mashups. Wouldn't it be cool or at least interesting if someone made a podcast that was the audio-log of a SRW OC? I mean an original one, from a fan-conceived SRW story. So they'd keep an audio-journal of all the political maneuverings and battles and all their meetings with the casts of the different anime involved. Personally I think it'd be awesome to listen to something like that as long as the person making the podcast didn't have an annoying voice and had some idea how to structure their 'entries' to make them sound both believable (as in someone would actually say something into an audio-log in that way) and interesting.

That could be intriguing. The OC for my aliens are the worst one is, well, basically what one would expect since the world is primarily Gundam 00 to begin with, she's a grizzled pilot with more than a few mass murders under her belt that suddenly ends up in the position of being one of the foremost defenders of humanity, she'd probably have quite a bit to say on how backwards everything has gone that she of all people is one of the big sources of hope in the world (things get bad to the point that even Gai Shishioh is certain things are utterly hosed, probably around the point where Nono using the Earth as a ballistic missile is considered the best use of the planet because maybe five or six people live there anymore and one of those is Gendo Ikari).

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I've been thinking about it and the one thing Z3.2 needs to do in order be truly great is to include the Stoner Sunshine theme. If in one of the later stages you get the Getter combo attacks back and that song starts playing I'm not sure I could stop myself from giving it to every single unit in the game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ethiser posted:

I've been thinking about it and the one thing Z3.2 needs to do in order be truly great is to include the Stoner Sunshine theme. If in one of the later stages you get the Getter combo attacks back and that song starts playing I'm not sure I could stop myself from giving it to every single unit in the game.

You do realize there's not only custom BGM, but per-attack custom BGM now? You can literally just give Stoner Sunshine theme to that attack and that attack only.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

You do realize there's not only custom BGM, but per-attack custom BGM now? You can literally just give Stoner Sunshine theme to that attack and that attack only.

I know. I even used it in Z3.1 for the Getter's BGM but there is just something special about it appearing in the game naturally.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I'm hoping that you can set individual Maximum Break themes for characters in Z3.2 because having the same song playing for a good 5+ minutes got kinda old pretty quickly in Z3.1.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Gyra_Solune posted:

Nono using the Earth as a ballistic missile

This is a perfect opportunity and obligation for you to rewatch Diebuster.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In Z2-1 I just did the GN Arms attack for maybe the first time ever. It's a high requirement, short range, low damage, ally-hitting map combination attack between Ptolemeus and Exia. I don't think I have seen a more unique and pointless map attack before.

edit: and only Exia can activate it, not Ptolemeus.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 15, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I cleared Z2-1's scenario chart and didn't even realize the attack existed. :catstare:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GN Arms is basically like a shittier version of the METEOR attack and the METEOR attack is lovely on its own. I'm not sure why they're so reluctant to give them those things as unit upgrades.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
I'm pretty sure the Dynames can use it as well.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hikarusa posted:

I'm pretty sure the Dynames can use it as well.

Yup. It's slightly more useful, but not much.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Thing that gets me the most about Gargantia is the head pirate lady is probably going to be a boss a couple times and have boss-level HP despite her robot of choice being almost certainly the weakest existing one in the entire universe at that point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

Thing that gets me the most about Gargantia is the head pirate lady is probably going to be a boss a couple times and have boss-level HP despite her robot of choice being almost certainly the weakest existing one in the entire universe at that point.
She can join Beck. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

I'll point out that at this point we've had Ganmen, Armored Troopers, Walker Machines, and various other utter shitpile robos appearing as boss enemies on a fairly regular basis. This ain't something new.

Beck, the dude from Big O who is a literal joke who gets destroyed before he can attack, is a boss character on a regular basis.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why does Terada hate ZZ so much.

Whyyyyy

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

Why does Terada hate ZZ so much.

Whyyyyy
Is it really just him? I thought Sunrise basically disowned it as well. The ending of the Z movies was changed so that Kamille isn't in the mental state that he is in ZZ. It almost made me wonder if they were planning to make a new ZZ someday, but starring Kamille, where he faces off against Haman again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That doesn't make sense to disown ZZ when it's a big reason why Char's Counterattack is the way it is (and keep using the CC storyline).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also the Purus are still (disturbingly) popular.

I'd have been all up for some ZZ. Heck, I kept saying how I wish late UC stuff would have been included. Due to their pretty self-cotnained nature, they would been really easy to add to the universe without disturbing too much. And we'd have gottend HD Wings of Light and/or F91 after-images. :smith:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I think Judau's VA being pretty much unable to do Judau's voice anymore and Puru's VA unfortunately dying about 10 years ago also have something to do with it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also the Purus are still (disturbingly) popular.

I'd have been all up for some ZZ. Heck, I kept saying how I wish late UC stuff would have been included. Due to their pretty self-cotnained nature, they would been really easy to add to the universe without disturbing too much. And we'd have gottend HD Wings of Light and/or F91 after-images. :smith:

You can't have the Ples. Ple 12 is already grown up, so you'd have some serious explaining to do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TARDISman posted:

I think Judau's VA being pretty much unable to do Judau's voice anymore and Puru's VA unfortunately dying about 10 years ago also have something to do with it.
Oh, I didn't know that. Yeah, it could be something about that.

I sure never liked the design of ZZ itself though, it look like the minivan of MSs to me.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Caphi posted:

You can't have the Ples. Ple 12 is already grown up, so you'd have some serious explaining to do.

Dimensional weirdness

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Aren't they still using that dead guy's voice for Daitarn 3, or did I miss a replacement.

And even then, they still used the dead guy's voice for at least the 1st Z game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Caphi posted:

In Z3 she was changed to an older prototype instead of one of the "normal" Ple, so whatevs.

It's not like SRW is all about following the continuity to the letter anyway.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

TARDISman posted:

It was last year. Which is why it might sting harder for fans of both franchises.

But yeah Kazuki Yao is old and a heavy drinker so his voice is extremely rough nowadays, can't really have Judau when the voice actor can't do his signature voice.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 15, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
They need to bring back ZZ and V so it can be like in Alpha where they had so many children running around in the good guy base Asuka had to set up a school for them.

Edit: And hey they can throw in Age too.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Yeah, ZZ has been a mainstay for quite a while in the SRW series, it really isn't "hated" at all by the company, if anything there are a couple of other Gundam series which fit that criteria, such as X for its rather poor showing financial-wise.

The voice actor thing has been brought up and I agree that's the most reasonable explanation. I know most people are trying to repress it from memory, but ZZ was just in OE... which, unsurprisingly, was low-budget and thus used stock clips from the older games.

While it would certainly be rather amazing to have ZZ in Z3-2 with all of Judau's lines being stock footage, me thinks this would cause quite a bit of Internet rioting.

Late UC (discounting Unicorn since it's very recent) is probably the series that's most underrepresented in SRW - Victory and F91/Crossbone has only a handful of showings so far...

which brings me to something I've been thinking - if they ever do Crossbone again, maybe they should do the Grey Stoke plotline - it wasn't in Alpha 2 because ZZ was in and that would create a time paradox, but now that Kazuki Yao is an old fogey, maybe his voice would be pretty perfect for that role.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

ActionZero posted:

This is a perfect opportunity and obligation for you to rewatch Diebuster.

I'm going to rewatch all these shows multiple times largely because I need to take a ton of notes about characters, technology, terminology, episode events, and how various things link together. A big example is that Second Impact happens at the end of scenario 6, and this involves a time skip of around six months to a year of either roughing it through the wastes or surviving aboard the Macross. But Misato's deal with that needs to be reworked because she's a teenager at the time in NGE. So either she's just an adult at that incident, it didn't happen entirely and she lost her dad during some previous covered-up alien incident, or TIME SHENANIGANS, which is a valid option since for Third Impact ongoings, half of the earth with Japan is reset in a time loop for Rebuild and Muv-Luv Alternative, the other half goes through the next few months normally, and in space, Gunbuster relativity time nonsense has Noriko and co jumping ahead in time while the crew of the Sidonia goes through a generation.

But I distinctly did remember Nono using the Earth to attempt to punch out a space monster.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

So I was considering picking up one of the portable SRW games to play while on a trip and whatnot. Was thinking about Z3.1, but it looks like the reprint release is going to be much cheaper, so probably going to wait until that comes out. Which of the DS/PSP games would be best? Was looking at either A Portable or MX Portable, but I think I remember hearing about one of those two being pretty bad. Or was it both of them?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Portable isn't bad, but it's hard as loving balls, in comparison to every other SRW. MX Portable is long as hell and mostly filler, and is pretty awful to play due to inflated enemy health.

I'd recommend W or Z2.2.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Oh yeah. I already have both of the Z2 games, so those are out of the question.

The shoulder buttons on my DS aren't in the greatest shape, so kind of hesitant on getting a DS game. But if all the other PSP games have problems, then maybe I will.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Irisize posted:

Which of the DS/PSP games would be best? Was looking at either A Portable or MX Portable, but I think I remember hearing about one of those two being pretty bad. Or was it both of them?
Both of them are controversial.

MX Portable has pointless HP bloat but is still "easy" so the rare people who play SRW and want a challenge won't be satisfied either. However, I heard that modding tools for the game has just been released so I guess that's fixable now.

Also something about having slowdowns and bad load times compared to the PS2 version. If you play SRW solely for plot/crossover rather than gameplay then I guess it wouldn't affect you though.

A Portable isn't well-liked because of its reputation for difficulty... though ironically the difficulty is mostly front-loaded and AP's late game is more tedious than challenging because... hope you aren't shocked here, of HP bloated grunts.

I actually did like it to play it through a couple of times but I'm probably in a minority.

Z2.2 is definitely the safer bet for a portable PSP game though I find it just too easy for my tastes.

W is another safe bet, although once again easy, but the cast list is really great.

I also liked L as a DS game but it's a little flawed... supposedly most of its flaws are fixed in UX but I don't have personal experience with that and I assume its off the table anyway because 3DS region locking. It basically came out around the same time as Z2.1 I think which is why it got overlooked.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I remember back when UX came out about the only English-language review I could find of it anywhere was this:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/14/dear-import-gamer-you-can-do-better-than-super-robot-wars-ux/
which come to think of it isn't a review considering the writer's use of the words 'will be' when referring to the game. So I guess this guy just saw the trailer and series list and decided to hate it. Also he uses the word 'cynical' in weird ways. But anyway the memory of this article kept me away from UX, though from this thread the reception seems to be more positive.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

New Gundam Breaker 2 video featuring two comedians (?) playing through an easy stage with overpowered suits. Some relatively neat stuff in it if you keep an eye out though. The Astray Red Frame Kai backpack now has a full combo attack as an Option!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZi0dB0_UBg

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

So I guess this guy just saw the trailer and series list and decided to hate it. Also he uses the word 'cynical' in weird ways. But anyway the memory of this article kept me away from UX, though from this thread the reception seems to be more positive.
I remember that person for writing a very dumb article on Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. But I digress.

The most cynical thing I would say about UX is probably the inclusion of Miku Fei-Yan, because that's basically a kind of easy way to pull in an audience who wouldn't even care about robot games otherwise.

Outside of that, it seems kind of insane to say that a series that's built around giving mecha fans what they want to see... went ahead and gave the fans what they wanted to see, in terms of entries like Demonbane and Dunbine.

Plus, I'm not sure how "cynical" it is to make some really insane choices like SD Gundam Brave Battlers and Heroman (that Anime received a massive "eh" response from Japan)

I'm not sure how the game is like on a gameplay level, but I think conceptually, it's definitely one of the more refreshing SRW games of recent times. I'm not really a sort of person who believes that the common Holy Trinity of UC Gundam/Getter/Mazinger needs to be in every game. Something like Z3.2 strikes me as being way too "safe" and more "cynical" than UX.

I really hope that region locking on the 3DS gets solved one day. Either that or the next portable doing away with region locking and still supporting 3DS games.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I guess they'll just have to give us a translated game on the 3DS....

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
As someone who had more than enough money and less than enough sense on how to use it wisely, here's my impressions/review of SRW UX.

First off, it follows up on the Partner system created in K and refined in L. It's very similar to how it works in L, right down to partner units giving each other bonuses. Upgrades to units are also done via giving parts earned from enemy kills or end-of-battle rewards instead of PP. It plays pretty much like standard SRWs.

Bad:

- One thing you'll notice very quickly is that the animations, particularly for enemy units, are really not good. In particular, the Skrugg grunts are hilarious in how amazingly terrible they look. The average quality of the animations get better as the game goes on, but early on it's pretty dire.
- Music is also what one could charitably refer to as a 'mixed bag.' They managed to turn this into this.
- At this point it's expected, but the game is so easy you could sleepwalk through it.
- The Banpresto original machine is also pretty generic and boring except for a couple of finishers. Admittedly those finishers are pretty drat cool.
- If I never have to sit through the Macross Frontier plot again it will still be too drat soon.
- The game is also pretty drat buggy, although there's a hilarious bug that ends up paying homage to series canon: If both Master Therion and Kurou attack each other with Shining Trapezohedron, the game crashes. (And another bug where a revelation of a future of endless warfare and carnage is supposed to cause a party-wide Will loss; the Mazinkaiser SKL pilots gain Will instead.)

Weird:
- This is easily the most bizarre cast list in any SRW game I've ever seen. SD Gundam Sangokuden, Fei Yen Miku HD, Joey and Heroman, Demonbane, Mazinkaiser SKL... Personally I don't mind in the least, but a bunch of people appear to like seeing more familiar faces.

Good
- The single biggest selling point of this game is the absurd number of secrets and unlockables. Burn Burning, Shouko Hazama, Ryofu Tallgeese, Ishigami, Master Therion, and more are all unlockable.
- Following on the above, UX carries event flags over across playthroughs (except kill counts) which means that after enough New Game+s you can have every single secret together in one playthrough. I believe it's even pointed out by Master Therion during the final time you fight him where he'll note an 'impossible combination' of units from route-exclusive secrets.
- Gameplay improvement of the tactician system where you can assign a character to grant a bonus to all units because they're smart. Hey, it gives the non-playables something to do.
- Fully voiced. Admittedly a weird choice given the side-game nature of UX, but hey, if it allows me to listen to Dr. West's crooning and Ryofu yelling 'TAMASHIIIIIII' I'm not complaining.
- A decent amount of cross-series interaction, although my Japanese isn't the best so I can't gauge exactly how well it's done. I enjoyed what I could follow, for what it's worth.
- I heard that part of Shinn and Luna's dialogue was taken from actual dialogue said by Maaya Sakamoto and Kenicihi Suzumura during their wedding. I have no idea if this is true or not but I'm listing it here because I want it to be, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Pureauthor posted:

(And another bug where a revelation of a future of endless warfare and carnage is supposed to cause a party-wide Will loss; the Mazinkaiser SKL pilots gain Will instead.)
That's amazing.

• Locked thread