Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

moths posted:

This has been considered before, but there's no way the assholes of the internet wouldn't take being enshrined in the OP of Grognards.TXT as some kind of sacred mark of dickhead cred.

Zak is cancer. He's been documented directing his proxies to "destroy" people he disagrees with, and then they engage both online and in real life. Hell, I said something about him once, in social media. Within a few hours, he was directly "correcting" me and attempts were made to hack my account. Is there any way to prove a connection? Of course not - But that's the kind of plausible deniability he wallows in and orchestrates poo poo from. I got the "message" because I don't want what happened to Mikan happening to me.

Wait, what happened to Mikan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Guilty Spork posted:

The big, legitimate issue with Zak is that there are some pretty serious allegations of harassment and such. They're plausible but hard to prove, and if they're true he's diligent at taking the relatively easy steps necessary to make them hard to prove. Aside from that it's mostly just that he seems to have a bag of angry cats inside his brain and can't properly handle people disagreeing with him or saying anything even vaguely critical of him. Oh, and the way he posts online one has to assume that goes through keyboards quickly as he wears F5 keys down to nothing refreshing and replying over and over. Even if we were to set aside the harassment stuff, he's just an insanely unpleasant person.

They're hard to prove, but when he does poo poo like go out of his way to track down an SA poster's real name and post it awkwardly six times to call them out the tactics tell their own story. He wants his sycophants and hangers-on to go attack people for him all the time, and he does it by essentially doxxing them over the tiniest poo poo.

e: oh yeah and he has secret hideouts where he more overtly tells people to attack others for him.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 14, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Rulebook Heavily posted:

They're hard to prove, but when he does poo poo like go out of his way to track down an SA poster's real name and post it awkwardly six times to call them out the tactics tell their own story. He wants his sycophants and hangers-on to go attack people for him all the time, and he does it by essentially doxxing them over the tiniest poo poo.

To me, that's all the more reason to take the high road. You want to criticize Mandy, you can talk about how she tried to spin her group as being attacked by the RPG equivalent of Gamergate. That's legitimate. But if you start bringing her day job into things, it sounds like so much gossip.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

The worst part is I think that guy had gently caress-all to do with the ongoing drama at the time, he just said something that got Zak's lovely haircut in a twist.

JackMann posted:

I actually get the feeling that if it wasn't for the paranoia and persecution complex, Pundit would be a kind of cool guy. He's demonstrated disgust with the GamgerGaters, and like you said, he doesn't have a problem with social justice outside of gaming. It's just that anyone who disagrees with him or enjoys games he doesn't like must be part of this grand conspiracy he's come up to destroy real gaming. He can't fit the idea that people can disagree with him and still be good, decent people. So, they can't really be concerned with racism or sexism or the rights of minorities. No, they're pseudo-activists, people who are only using social justice to destroy the real RPGs and force everyone to play storygames forever. There is no other explanation in his mind. Every action Fred Hicks undertakes must have a sinister explanation that fits into his swine narrative. Tarnowski is fundamentally incapable of arguing in good faith because he refuses to accept any reasonable interpretation of his enemies, their arguments, or their games.

That's the thing, if he was just some pipe-smoking old-school dude making derivative games, no one would pay attention to him. Thus, the continued WAR AGAINST SWINE poo poo to keep even a modicum of interest directed towards him.

Azran posted:

Wait, what happened to Mikan?

Constant harassment forced them to quit the hobby altogether. You can guess who it was from.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Look at Zak's website. Look at all the really cool people who are talking about how wonderful he and his latest work are (Molly Crabapple I'm not too sure about, she was a person who was singing praises about Weev, including painting a nice saintly portrait of him because THE GOVERNMENT!!!!!! right before he decided to reveal he was a Nazi, but this was still when he was a troll who harassed a woman out of tech writing for the crime of being a woman) like Kelly Sue DeConnick, Keith Baker and China goddamn Mieville give him a quote for his American McGee's Alice book. I get that to them it's just a pretty book, but it's super depressing.

inklesspen posted:

To me, that's all the more reason to take the high road. You want to criticize Mandy, you can talk about how she tried to spin her group as being attacked by the RPG equivalent of Gamergate. That's legitimate. But if you start bringing her day job into things, it sounds like so much gossip.

I get that he's mad that someone attacked his girlfriend but aren't the people who were doing that poo poo mostly gone from Trad Games now?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

I get that he's mad that someone attacked his girlfriend but aren't the people who were doing that poo poo mostly gone from Trad Games now?

Just a page up thread of you:

moths posted:

(*Female "friends" whose careers involve being paid to have sex with him on film.)

So, yeah, I think it's still a point to be made.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

inklesspen posted:

I agree. Sex workers in particular face discrimination. Don't talk poo poo about sex work.

boymonster
Feb 1, 2013
OK, so here's my position on Zak.

Zak is an rear end in a top hat.

Okay, the longer position:

Zak is aggressive, strident, plays according to his own particular brand of rational logic, is opinionated, confrontational, and pursues conversation with people he disagrees with in order to arrive at some kind of explanation that suits his own confusion about why somebody might think differently from him. The number of people he's pissed off or angered to the point of blocking him is legion.

In this way he is like a gigantic crap-ton of people on the internet in various fan communities and all of their associated forums, from auto racing fans to kink enthusiasts to Etsy vendors. He is a classic internet gadfly. Even Mandy admits he's loud and aggressive and pisses people off.

However, he also genuinely cares about his friends, he goes out of his way to defend the friends he has, and he is remarkably consistent about the things he's an rear end in a top hat about. He supports a number of highly progressive causes, from sex workers to the homeless and has turned over a considerable amount of his fan-generated income to those causes.

I don't believe he's homophobic or transphobic, even though some of his infamous clashes with people who he disagrees with have all the qualities of that. His friends have said repeatedly that he's this much of a dick to anyone. I personally believe he could go a lot further to distance himself from his raving horde of sycophants and fans who take everything he says as gospel and are the reason so many people are harassed to the point of threats. I've seen him yell at followers for doing that, but then again he also posts things like "find this guy and take him on" which the average moron follower probably thinks is a request to harass somebody. He's got a platform and he's not entirely in control of his own message once it gets out to the masses.

I don't like to engage with him much, I don't like his style of engagement, and I don't really care for any of his content or really give much of a crap about his lifestyle or his friends. I do care that he is constantly being associated with toxic behavior. I do care that he and his friends shouldn't be targeted by trolls anymore than I think anyone should be targeted by trolls. His friends are mostly women because that's what his community is made up of, and as others have said so far, we shouldn't be judging him on that. That's lovely behavior and we can do better.

I have been friends with Fred Hicks for over 20 years and I trust and respect Fred's beliefs and his approach to business. I don't always think Fred gets his message across the way he would like, either. I don't even think I get my own message across the way I would like most of the time. So I dispute Zak's accusations of Fred because I don't think Zak is able to frame any of that outside of his own perspective and background. Calling Fred, Tracy, and many other people prudes because they object to sexualized imagery in media is ignorance. Calling people liars because they believe something other than what he believes to be true is also ignorance. Calling people mentally ill for having beliefs that he doesn't agree with is also ignorance. That's lovely behavior and he could do better.

But if we're going to be better examples of our own community and better examples of people in general we should stop engaging with him with troll activity, or insulting his work or personal life or friends, or making accusations against him we can't back up or which (like him) from from a filter we've created that's toxic and insulting. You don't need to give him any more credence or time than you want to, and you sure as hell don't need him showing up in every thread from now until the end of time harping on about the same dumb thing over and over looking for a fight. I'm pretty sure if you leave him alone, he'll get tired of you and go find somebody else to engage with.

Most of the time.

Cheers,
Cam

(Edited to correct a statement about Mandy.)

boymonster fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 14, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

boymonster posted:

OK, so here's my position on Zak.

Zak is an rear end in a top hat.

Okay, the longer position:

Zak is aggressive, strident, plays according to his own particular brand of rational logic, is opinionated, confrontational, and pursues conversation with people he disagrees with in order to arrive at some kind of explanation that suits his own confusion about why somebody might think differently from him. The number of people he's pissed off or angered to the point of blocking him is legion.

In this way he is like a gigantic crap-ton of people on the internet in various fan communities and all of their associated forums, from auto racing fans to kink enthusiasts to Etsy vendors. He is a classic internet gadfly. Even Mandy admits he's an rear end in a top hat.

However, he also genuinely cares about his friends, he goes out of his way to defend the friends he has, and he is remarkably consistent about the things he's an rear end in a top hat about. He supports a number of highly progressive causes, from sex workers to the homeless and has turned over a considerable amount of his fan-generated income to those causes.

I don't believe he's homophobic or transphobic, even though some of his infamous clashes with people who he disagrees with have all the qualities of that. His friends have said repeatedly that he's this much of a dick to anyone. I personally believe he could go a lot further to distance himself from his raving horde of sycophants and fans who take everything he says as gospel and are the reason so many people are harassed to the point of threats. I've seen him yell at followers for doing that, but then again he also posts things like "find this guy and take him on" which the average moron follower probably thinks is a request to harass somebody. He's got a platform and he's not entirely in control of his own message once it gets out to the masses.

I don't like to engage with him much, I don't like his style of engagement, and I don't really care for any of his content or really give much of a crap about his lifestyle or his friends. I do care that he is constantly being associated with toxic behavior. I do care that he and his friends shouldn't be targeted by trolls anymore than I think anyone should be targeted by trolls. His friends are mostly women because that's what his community is made up of, and as others have said so far, we shouldn't be judging him on that. That's lovely behavior and we can do better.

I have been friends with Fred Hicks for over 20 years and I trust and respect Fred's beliefs and his approach to business. I don't always think Fred gets his message across the way he would like, either. I don't even think I get my own message across the way I would like most of the time. So I dispute Zak's accusations of Fred because I don't think Zak is able to frame any of that outside of his own perspective and background. Calling Fred, Tracy, and many other people prudes because they object to sexualized imagery in media is ignorance. Calling people liars because they believe something other than what he believes to be true is also ignorance. Calling people mentally ill for having beliefs that he doesn't agree with is also ignorance. That's lovely behavior and he could do better.

But if we're going to be better examples of our own community and better examples of people in general we should stop engaging with him with troll activity, or insulting his work or personal life or friends, or making accusations against him we can't back up or which (like him) from from a filter we've created that's toxic and insulting. You don't need to give him any more credence or time than you want to, and you sure as hell don't need him showing up in every thread from now until the end of time harping on about the same dumb thing over and over looking for a fight. I'm pretty sure if you leave him alone, he'll get tired of you and go find somebody else to engage with.

Most of the time.

Cheers,
Cam

You. I like you.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure the trans women he's stalked for months or years at a time will feel better.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'm sure the trans women he's stalked for months or years at a time will feel better.

To me, Zak's apparent progressiveness just makes things worse. How is someone supposed to feel when someone who'd likely be an ally otherwise decides to harass and out them based entirely on elfgame drama?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

To me, Zak's apparent progressiveness just makes things worse. How is someone supposed to feel when someone who'd likely be an ally otherwise decides to harass and out them based entirely on elfgame drama?

Here's an ever better question: since when does being not-lovely in one area excuse literally harassing people out of the industry, threatening people with loss of jobs or opportunity, or - and this is a life-threatening act that can carry deadly consequences - outing trans people repeatedly and publicly? Since when does "being an rear end in a top hat to everyone" excuse "being such an rear end in a top hat that he will threaten certain specific people's lives"?

One day the industry will learn that having a position on something and publicly posting it is less important than the actual people under actual, literal threat.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Here's an ever better question: since when does being not-lovely in one area excuse literally harassing people out of the industry, threatening people with loss of jobs or opportunity, or - and this is a life-threatening act that can carry deadly consequences - out trans people repeatedly and publicly? Since when does "being an rear end in a top hat to everyone" excuse "being such an rear end in a top hat that he will threaten certain specific people's lives"?

I don't think it excuses him at all. Quite the opposite, it makes it worse. If he was a bigot it would be easy to just write him off. What I'm trying to get at is how awful it is that he can put aside his stated values exclusively to score points in a non-existent debate about an entertainment medium. Like, the whole reason he's harassing anyone is because he thinks they disagree with him about D&D. Ignoring the love people in this forum have for old rear end D&D concepts and focusing on the fact that lol we make fun of THAC0 or some poo poo and find his debating style annoying is the sole reason for all of this. If he just hated trans people it would be easy to give him the middle finger and move on.

We have to be critical of allies, yet willing to understand why those who fall short indeed fall short is what I'm saying. Saying "he's transphobic" and leaving it at that is just too pat and too simple.

(Even if this forum's userbase did universally hate everything labeled as D&D before 4e it wouldn't matter, I'm just pointing out the ridiculousness in thinking that is the case. Who cares about mechanics? Isn't the important stuff in D&D the creative side?)

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 14, 2014

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Am I still allowed to say that "Alice in Wonderland + vampires" sounds like a completely boring, derivative pile of crap? Maybe Red & Pleasant Land is actually a heartbreaking work of staggering genius, but Christ, what an utterly asinine premise.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

When your behavior is indistinguishable from transphobia, why isn't it called transphobia?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

I don't think it excuses him at all. Quite the opposite, it makes it worse. If he was a bigot it would be easy to just write him off. What I'm trying to get at is how awful it is that he can put aside his stated values exclusively to score points in a non-existent debate about an entertainment medium. Like, the whole reason he's harassing anyone is because he thinks they disagree with him about D&D. Ignoring the love people in this forum have for old rear end D&D concepts and focusing on the fact that lol we make fun of THAC0 or some poo poo and find his debating style annoying is the sole reason for all of this. If he just hated trans people it would be easy to give him the middle finger and move on.

We have to be critical of allies, yet willing to understand why those who fall short indeed fall short is what I'm saying. Saying "he's transphobic" and leaving it at that is just too pat and too simple.

(Even if this forum's userbase did universally hate everything labeled as D&D before 4e it wouldn't matter, I'm just pointing out the ridiculousness in thinking that is the case. Who cares about mechanics? Isn't the important stuff in D&D the creative side?)

This is all no longer an opinion I have - I have been shown proof that Zak is indeed actually transphobic, and that it wasn't just an isolated incident where he discarded his principles in order to score points. This is a consistent pattern. gently caress Zak.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mors Rattus posted:

When your behavior is indistinguishable from transphobia, why isn't it called transphobia?

Absolutely this.

Also, to be clear, Cam can have his position. I don't like it, but it's his. I don't ask him or anyone else to act as a forum-hopping go-between just because Zak has decided to burn every bridge in his quest to be an "ally" who outs trans people, stalks them for months/years and calls them mentally ill or "shams" or "fakers" for the crime of disagreeing with him on the internet while giving their personal information to his rabid followers.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

FIRE EMBLEM D20 posted:

Weapon Attacks

The basic attack in a battle, using an equipped weapon to attack at the opponent, dealing damage and lowering their HP. In order to make an attack, a unit must move within range of the equipped weapon's specified range, and choose a target opponent to attack that is in that range. Some of the weapon ranges in the game are:

1 - Attacks adjacent units (i.e. Iron Sword, Steel Axe, etc.)
2 - Attack units exactly two spaces away (i.e. Iron Bow)
1-2 - Attack adjacent and distant opponents two spaces away (i.e. Hand Axe, Thunder, etc.)
2-3 - Attack units either two or three spaces away (i.e. Longbow)
3-10 - Attack distant enemies, 3 to 10 spaces away (i.e. Bolting, Purge)
Basically, the ranges state the minimum - maximum spaces away the enemy can be, or a single number for now many exact spaces distant the enemy must be.
After declaring an attack on an enemy, the first player makes their attack. First, attack speed is calculated (A is used for attacker's stat, D is used for defender's stat):

If (Weapon Weight) > CON, Attack Speed = A.SPD+(A.CON−A.WeaponWeight)
Else, Attack Speed = A.SPD

If the attacker has an Attack Speed surpasses the defender's Attack Speed by more than four, the attacker can attack twice. However, if the defender's Attack Speed surpasses the attacker's by more than four, the defender can attack twice. Also, any Brave weapons used add an additional x2 to the attack count. For example, Unit A with a Brave Lance and AS of 18, and Unit B with a Steel Sword and AS of 13, Unit A can attack four times.

After determining attack counts, this is how the battle is conducted:

Attacker makes their first attack.
Attacker makes a second attack if wielding a Brave weapon.
Defender makes their first attack.
Defender makes a second attack if wielding a Brave weapon.
If Attacker had AS greater/equal to (D.AS + 4), Attacker can attack again, making another second attack if wielding a Brave weapon.
If Defender had AS greater/equal to (A.AS + 4), Defender can attack again, making another second attack if wielding a Brave weapon.
When making an attack, roll a percentage dice to see if the hit was successful. To calculate hit rate:

2(A.SKL)+.5(A.LUK)−D.Avoid+A.WeaponHitRate+A.Bonuses

Avoid is calculated as: 2(D.AttackSpeed)+D.LUK+D.Bonuses

If a die roll is successful against the hit rate, then a critical roll is made with the percentage dice. The critical hit rate is:

A.WeaponCritical+.5(A.SKL)−D.CriticalEvade+A.Bonuses

Critical evade is calculated as: D.LUK+D.Bonuses

If the roll is not successful, attack is carried out normally. However, if it is successful, damage dealt to the enemy for this attack is tripled.

Next, damage is calculated. In this formula, Strength and Defense is used, but if a magic tome is used, use MAG and RES instead

A.STR+A.EffectiveWeaponMight−(D.DEF+D.Bonuses)+A.Bonuses

Effective Weapon Might is equal to the might of the weapon, plus the bonus from the weapon triangle or trinity of magic advantage/disadvantage. The Effective Weapon Might is also multiplied by 3 if the weapon is effective against the defender, i.e. Bows against flying units, Hammer against armored units, etc.

When a magic melee weapon is used (i.e. Rune Sword), the following damage is dealt:

Range of 1: A.STR+A.EffectiveWeaponMight−(D.RES+D.Bonuses)+A.Bonuses
Range of 2: .5(A.STR)+A.EffectiveWeaponMight−(D.RES+D.Bonuses)+A.Bonuses

Also, magic weapons cannot critical, if from a distance.

Once a unit reaches 0, that unit cannot attack any longer and battle ends, awarding EXP to the last standing unit and eliminating the defeated unit from the game.

:stare: And that's just the basic combat formulas.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Absolutely this.

Also, to be clear, Cam can have his position. I don't like it, but it's his. I don't ask him or anyone else to act as a forum-hopping go-between just because Zak has decided to burn every bridge in his quest to be an "ally" who outs trans people, stalks them for months/years and calls them mentally ill or "shams" or "fakers" for the crime of disagreeing with him on the internet while giving their personal information to his rabid followers.

Is this like an ambassadorship where I can take a really crappy post for a few years in order to get cred to turn into a sweet desk job later?

If so I totally volunteer for the position of Forum Hopping Go Between. As part of my opposition to Big Forum I will veto every posting bill that comes up.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's a game Zak plays where he tries to get industry people or notables to post in places where he's been banned for him. And it stinks if you don't play along, for months and months afterwards.

Also aaa why d20 for Fire Emblem of all things?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

So the reason the good Grognards.TXT thread got shut down was because Gau and Drox and whoever else melted down and couldn't stop posting non-gaming related crap about gaming C-listers being awful people. Nobody cares about that (in the context of this subforum and this thread). The last few pages have been, aside from the hilariously obtuse Fire Emblem thing, people going back and forth about what specific crime some dickbag who I'd never even heard of before I started reading the old good Grognards.TXT could accurately be accused of.

I like Grognards.TXT and think it's really a fun thread to read when it's working. Can you guys all maybe take this someplace else? IRC, Google+ or just even the general chat thread if you really think it's somehow gaming related.

EDIT: I don't think it's cool that Zak S. has been stalking and outing trans people. That's hosed up. But it has exactly nothing to do with gaming. That's reprehensible behavior but unless he attaches a dice pool or difficulty class to his harrasment I don't think I want to read about it here.

NorgLyle fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 14, 2014

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Azran posted:

This reminds me of when a guy I used to know was making Dragon Ball Z d20 and had obtuse rules for charging your aura, new spells called "Energy Beam, Generic" and Saiyan and Namekian races with +5 ECL and poo poo like that. So I told him about games like Shonen Final Burst and Tenra Bansho Zero and hell, if he wanted to stick to d20 he could just play around with Mutants and Masterminds. He absolutely blew up at me, he was loving livid that I would even suggest that.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Azran posted:

With one or two differences, that is point for point identical to how the Fire Emblem video games calculate attacks. It's a pretty straightforward system when you've got a computer adding up the stats and doing the random rolling but who would look at that and think this was a good idea to use in a tabletop game?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Green Bean posted:

With one or two differences, that is point for point identical to how the Fire Emblem video games calculate attacks. It's a pretty straightforward system when you've got a computer adding up the stats and doing the random rolling but who would look at that and think this was a good idea to use in a tabletop game?
It's basically identical, only they added in weapon speed, most likely because a dude with an axe attacking as quickly as a dude with a dagger would be too anime and video game-y for this RPG adaptation of an anime video game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Froghammer posted:

It's basically identical, only they added in weapon speed, most likely because a dude with an axe attacking as quickly as a dude with a dagger would be too anime and video game-y for this RPG adaptation of an anime video game.

Weapon weight is a statistic in FE games up to 12, when they decided it was dumb. Besides the half-luck adding to hit thing, this system is a carbon copy of how the Game Boy Advance Fire Emblem games handle the numbers.

It's not a very friendly system to use when you have to calculate the numbers yourself.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Weapon weight is a statistic in FE games up to 12, when they decided it was dumb. Besides the half-luck adding to hit thing, this system is a carbon copy of how the Game Boy Advance Fire Emblem games handle the numbers.

It's not a very friendly system to use when you have to calculate the numbers yourself.

but but but verisimilitudinousness!!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Also aaa why d20 for Fire Emblem of all things?

Lightning Lord posted:

This reminds me of when a guy I used to know was making Dragon Ball Z d20 and had obtuse rules for charging your aura, new spells called "Energy Beam, Generic" and Saiyan and Namekian races with +5 ECL and poo poo like that. So I told him about games like Shonen Final Burst and Tenra Bansho Zero and hell, if he wanted to stick to d20 he could just play around with Mutants and Masterminds. He absolutely blew up at me, he was loving livid that I would even suggest that.
Don't you people know that d20 is a perfect world-simulator that has physics/rules* that can be used to run literally anything?

*As if there's a difference there amirite

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chaltab posted:

Don't you people know that d20 is a perfect world-simulator that has physics/rules* that can be used to run literally anything?
Ryan Dancey parachute account spotted.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lightning Lord posted:

I would do the same if someone got me to buy Shonen Final Burst.

No, but, really, it's cool if you like one system and only one system, but I never get people who act like the suggestion of a different system is heresy. I've met a few guys like that and it perplexes me every time.

If we're sharing weird IRL gaming stories,

1) I was trying to get some newbies into tabletop roleplaying. They were interested in D&D and I was explaining to them how to have fun and be creative. I decided to mention how I think its best to say "yes" to creative ideas since it helps people feel involved and can makes things more fun. I was immediately interrupted by someone who decided to tell me how I was a pussy and should learn to be more cruel and brutal to my players! Or something equally moronic.

2) Once, we were just playing a simple game of Savage Worlds with a new guy. This guy decided to play a girl PC. No problem, I do it all the time. This guy decides to explain her three measurements when he introduces her during the round table. Ok, getting worried. The guy can't help, but fetishist-ly describing how every part of her body contorts (with emphasis on her boobs and rear end) whenever she does anything. Getting creeped out as is everyone else. His character tries to forcibly blow my character. We ask him to leave. Tried to forget that happened.

3) Mentioned this in the old grog thread, but once went to a guys house who was a gun nut libertarian for a game. He just went to an army surplus store and decided to wear two bandoleers full of ammo over a bullet proof vest with a real combat knife in a holster. He kept an ammo cache full of bullets in the middle of the sofa the whole game. At one point, he pulls out a dummy grenade without saying anything and pulls the pin then calls us all pussies for thinking it was real. I left the game the next day and never talked to that guy again.

4) Brought my copy of 4e books to my local gaming club. The local pathfinder GM tried to throw them in the garbage.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 15, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Creating a Unit posted:

So now its time to create a unit to start off the army, or continue expanding your current army. First, when creating a unit, the following will be requested of you by the GM:

Unit name

Unit class (unpromoted ONLY)

Other specific stats of the unit, i.e. Lord's beginning weapon proficiency

The rest of the work is done by the GM. If you wish to be a GM and run someone's army, or try making your own unit, the following steps are taken in creating a unit:

Write down the given name and class in the respective spaces on the Character Sheet.

Look up the class's Base HP and roll the specified dice. Record the result as the unit's max and current HP.

Roll 1d4 and add it to 28. Distribute the resulting number of points for unit stats (except HP, CON, and MOV)

Assign the unit's CON and MOV stat based on the class info.

As the unit is new, it starts at level 1, with 0 experience.

Roll 1d8 eight times, and record each result. This will be used to set stat growth rate. Assign a die result to each of the eight stats, not using the same result twice. For each result:
1-3, growth rank D (20%)
4-6, growth rank C (40%)
7, growth rank B (60%)
8, growth rank A (80%)

Look up the class's starting package, and write the items and weapons in the correct sections of the character sheet, and in the space next to each item/weapon, if applicable, write the durability of the items (all new items always have max durability).
Roll 1d8 and assign the resulting affinity to your unit.

Look up the unit's class in the class list and mark the respective boxes for weapon proficiencies. Fill the first box for rank E, the first two boxes for rank D, the first three boxes for rank C, the first four boxes for rank B, the first five boxes for rank A, or all six boxes for rank S.

Fill in the unit's Aid. Aid is (Constitution - 1) for units on foot, (20 - Constitution) for mounted/flying female units, and (25 - Constitution) for mounted/flying male units.

Hahahaha determining growth rate randomly. :shepicide:

WHAT'S EVEN THE POINT OF THAT 1D4 + 28.

Azran fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 15, 2014

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
So I discovered Stack Exchange RPGs when I noticed blurbs about THAC0 and Mystra next to my questions about PHP. For the most part it's solid life-affirming anti-grog. The community is genuinely helpful and chill, and there's no edition warring in sight. I'm putting this up as a challenge for the jaded grog-miners here: can you find a hidden dark side to this otherwise well-moderated place? If a well-answered question brings up something that went terribly wrong in your own campaigns go ahead and bring it up.

Most of the time the grog is referred to in the questions:

quote:

There was quite a bit of discussion about this after I posted this question, so I thought I would do as advised and re-ask the question in a new topic.

I will be playing D&D 5th edition soon with a group of all male players. This will be my first time playing D&D (or anything even remotely similar) and as the only female player this group has ever had, I'm quite worried about how to deal with integrating into the group. I'm interested in playing with this group because I'm very close to the DM, and I don't really know any other groups in the area. (The ones that I do are a bit too eager for a female player. I would rather deal with hostility.)

My main concern are two of the players that I know are difficult to deal with, as a girl.

One, from all my experiences with him, is extremely sexist and loves to put girls 'back into their place' and to let them 'know where they belong'.

He makes a point of it by calling me 'it' in real life, as, according to him, my unusual name isn't really a name and as such it isn't worth addressing me by.

The other I don't know well, but from what I've heard from the DM, is a sadist and likely to target and attempt to kill or seriously injure my character.

I'm extremely shy and I don't tend to speak up for myself, but I don't want to be put of from trying more RP games because of a bad first experience.

What's the best way to deal with difficult players, as a female that's new to the game?

This one is, well, it's something.

quote:

how do I roleplay a character that's more intelligent than myself?
As others have suggested, as a GM you can "cheat" by using out-of-character knowledge. This is somewhat harder to do as a player, but still possible to a more limited extent.

Study the rules of the game thoroughly. In the real world, few people understand the hidden mechanisms that make things work (physics, mathematics, etc.). In the game, however, you have a the luxury of a rule book that tells you how things work. Most characters would not reasonably know these things, but if your character is extra-smart, he or she has probably figured some of them out. Read the books with an eye toward exploitable rules.

For instance, in many editions of D&D, rolling a natural 20 means an automatic hit regardless of how good a creature's armor class is. In practice this means that 20 completely untrained peasants can fire a bow at a anything and there's a pretty good chance that at least one of them will penetrate its hide no matter how tough it is. A high enough number of opponents can overwhelm nearly enemy this way (things get trickier with damage reduction). This might be unexpected for an average person, but an intelligent character could figure it out.

Some people might call this munchkinism, but as long as it's roleplayed well it can lend an air of authenticity to a high Intelligence score. Just don't do it when you're playing a dumb character.

A response to a question about roleplaying the opposite gender. The last section is just, why are you bringing this up? Why?:

quote:

Benefits
  • It allows a more balanced set of encounters
  • It allows for more varied character options for female players in some settings
  • It is an essential GMing skill
Drawbacks
  • It can be upsetting to certain persons amongst Christians, Muslims, and Jews, who see it violating the Torah, biblical or koranic prohibition on cross-genderism.
  • if play is public, this can cause major issues with non-gamers.
  • even in private play, this can be an issue with spouses or parents of persons in group.
  • It can be hard to remember the big fat guy is playing a small sexy woman and vice versa
  • if play is public, this, too, can cause major issues with non-gamers.
  • It can create great discomfort when it results in sexual storylines
  • Immature players can often be tempted to turn it into
    Sexual fantasy fulfillment
  • Massive over-play of stereotypes
  • a source of endless jokes
  • Immature GM's can make it brutally unpleasant for even mature players. (same list as for immature players, but it's much worse)
Difficulties
  • Understanding the gender differences without making them into stereotypes
  • remembering that the differences are more than just a few different organs
  • women have subtly different social needs
  • women have significantly different hormonal balance issues
  • women have different physical capacites - while the curves overlap, they are offset with different central bulges and peak performances, but nearly indistinguishable floor performance, and the central bulges are offset by less than 1 standard deviation, in fact, by under half of one...
  • women have very minorly different mental capabilities - minor, measurable, small but not trivial - which tend to be strongly overrepresented in choice of ideal employment and choice of educational field. They are magnified by societal expectations by gender, as well.

From the same person regarding religion:

quote:

Yes, I have. Specifically, one muslim, 3 baptists, and a Qabbalist Rabbi, all complaining about it as non-players; 2 as parents. And had several players complain about allowing gay players playing female characters as indulging their "sinful lusts." (Many complain about how hard it is to remember the large gay chap is playing a 120# priestess of Hecate...) Then again, I live in a state where same gender marriage is constitutionally barred, and our "liberals" are considered rather conservative nationally...

And a classic:

quote:

How did you get your players to realize role-playing isn't a video-game?
One curse I've had while playing and in particular while GMing, is that one group of players I have is stuck in the mindset that things are laid out, one after another, in linear fashion for them to go through. So, if for example, I make special mention of some critters out of place and behaving oddly, and then other relations like seemingly domestic versions of those critters in another town. Most people get the idea and realise there's something to investigate, something else going on behind the scenes. This one group, however, after all the setup, asks 'So where's the main monster lair?' of one of the NPCs. Totally stuck on this go kill boss monster get reward train and seemingly unable to grasp that he can take any action, he's not limited to north, east, south, west, open treasure chest, grab loot, etc.

Do any of you have tips on how to jar these players into actually playing and pretending they're in the situation?

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 15, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Not suggesting anything. If your "normal expected play" is a full analysis of the anatomy of the games roll odds/factors, it's most likely you are in a group of "roll" players, and this is toxic to a game about role playing a character in a dynamic world in a system designed for role playing.

quote:

Your normal expected play is not a full analysis of the anatomy of rolls. Your normal expected play is to have x bonus at y level. This is a statistical analysis of what having a reasonable bonus at a certain level would result in. Nothing here is being min/maxed. The bonuses given are reasonable bonuses for certain levels, not the maximum bonuses someone could have, but bonuses that are typical of a normal player. The statistical analysis of play is not the play itself.
That's like looking at a chart of batting averages and saying that someone is playing baseball wrong. Worse, it's like looking at the batting averages of a typical little league team and saying that they're too focused on winning instead of just having fun simply because there are numbers and statistics available.

quote:

I'm pointing at the guys running the numbers and saying this, not the numbers. It's not at all like the little league. This game system was already created with balance in mind and the numbers have already been run by the creators themselves. To run them, analyse what is best, and agree with it, is "roll" play, and sucks all the fun out of D&D if PLAYED that way.
less theory please. If players are stronger at one level than another, it's just another step of dynamic play. Why does everything have to be balanced? Should my players be bitching at me because they don't have 17 AC at level 4? "Loghery, I don't have a reasonable bonus at this level and so and so does. My caster needs plate", my reply is "AC is a small part of this game and one dimension of the game mechanics. You wear leather armor, but have a special skill the other party members don't have."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Azran posted:

Something you'll learn reading fan games, there is a sizable amount of tradgamers who legitimately don't understand that RPGs can be done without arbitrary randomization factors.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Covok posted:

4) Brought my copy of 4e books to my local gaming club. The local pathfinder GM tried to throw them in the garbage.

Man I have got to hear more about this. How does one try to throw away something in the garbage? How do you even sheepishly respond when a person discovers you trying to destroy their property? "Oops, I figured you didn't want these 80 dollars worth of books, sorry"?

REAL GROG IN REAL LIFE.

Once I went to a LARP. It was a Vampire LARP. All of the Requiem LARPs in my area had shut down so we drove over 2 hours to attend the nearest one. I am a huge fan of Requiem as a LARP system but pretty much everybody in the Vampire-LARP community prefers Masquerade. For those of you not in the know, there have been two divergent editions of Vampire (now concurrently produced), Vampire: the Masquerade and Vampire: the Requiem. They are pretty similar on the fundamentals and really different in the specifics, and a lot of people have refused to accept that Requiem is even a game, let alone that it is different or enjoyable from Masquerade. It's pretty similar to the ongoing debate between 3.X DND fans and 4e fans.

Anyway, we got to the space and started porting our approved characters onto the official sheets. One of the guys ostensibly responsible for recruiting looks at the sheets, gives a sage nod, and promptly tells us the game sucks.

"I don't care for Requiem" he says, sadly. "I really wish it was more like Masquerade."

"Ah", I say awkwardly. "Well, it definitely was a fun game, but honestly I prefer Requiem."

"How?", he asks, and sighs.

He then proceeded to grill me on the finer points of Masquerade's metaplot until we finally arrived at some minor thing I didn't know, at which point he established that I was ignorant on the topic and wasn't really qualified to have an opinion on it. Good times.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mendrian posted:

Man I have got to hear more about this. How does one try to throw away something in the garbage? How do you even sheepishly respond when a person discovers you trying to destroy their property? "Oops, I figured you didn't want these 80 dollars worth of books, sorry"?

I'm rather more astounded that someone cares about goddamn edition warring enough to try to destroy someone else's property.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

My only example of grog in real life (my regular group tends to be more racist than anything else, but whatever, I'm always the weirdo for pointing that out. Yay Argentina) is from a player of mine who used to be a GM. He's really big into socialism, so all his plots while GMing would be about throwing down the shackles of capitalism in a feudal society. It gets funny at times though:

Player A "Is there anywhere I can buy a sword?"

GM "Well, there's the local smith"

Party goes there, then the GM explains that only the nobleborn in the group can buy stuff because that's how capitalism works.

Player C "Okay. I'll buy a steel sword."

GM "The smith says that's something only the castle smith can do"

Players "Okay, let's go to the castle."

They go there, find the smith, buy a sword.

GM, an hour later, and during a fight. "Whoops, it seems to be made out of bronze, and you haven't noticed. You use a 1d4 -2 for damage. Should have made a Perception check earlier."

He also got annoyed when I introduced 4e to the group, because I brought a laptop to record character sheets and stuff.

"Of course you need a computer to play a computer game."

My players love to have terrible ideas about history - like the one time one of them started rambling about how WW2 was already won when the US decided to enter, and they only did so because they wanted Germany's oil reserves. In the middle of a fight. :shepicide:

Azran fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 15, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't really have too many personal grog stories that aren't just my embarrassing past opinions, because I was the kind of edgy idiot that would tell someone to shut the gently caress up, loudly and in public. Which honestly served me well, I guess, in avoiding grog! And also normal people.

I encourage everyone to take a break from Zak/Pundit/etc. grog. Post more blithely oblivious grog! Also, :getout: if you're going to have real conversations about the psychology of shitheads in this thread about mocking idiots for having different opinions. #NotAMod

quote:

So what is the verdict on the Basic Rules? They seem like a step in the right direction to turning Dungeons & Dragons back from the video game rules of 4th Edition. There are some rules that are weird, like advantage/disadvantage and magic slots. My personal mantra on this problem is the same for all editions of D&D; if there are rules that you don't like, just don't use them. I'm excited to check out the Starter Set on the 15th of July.

quote:

There is a difference between free beer and free speech, until they reinstate the OGL, sorry, this is just not compelling enough for me to move away from Pathfinder.

Maybe I should post an rant (hopefully an informed rant with some evidence.) here about why the OGL matters for the future of TRPG gaming.

quote:

Well, yeah, 4th edition really did suck, didn't it?

quote:

Well I guess people who wanted very simple, loose rules hated it because it didn't go as far as Tunnels and Trolls or Amber diceless in terms of simplicity. And the people who wanted crunchy hated it because it wasn't crunchy enough.

The people who loved Fourth—well—I just don't understand how their minds work.

D&D4: It was video-gamey bullshit. Like Tunnels & Trolls!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Azran posted:

I got 1 on the 1d4, so I have 29 points. I went 5 strength, 2 magic, 6 skill, 6 speed, 4 luck, 5 defense, 1 resistance. Pretty average build for a level 1 Lord but sort of wimpy. What's the Lord's base HP and specified dice? I'm going to imagine it's somewhere around 18 HP after all is said and done, since so many FE Lords have that at level 1, so I'll use that for my hypothetical.

For growths I rolled 60/40/40/20/40/20/40/40 for a growth total of 300%. We have a word for characters with this low of average growths. It's "bad." I'll assign them in order. Using pretty mundane endgame Fire Emblem levels of 20/10, or 29 level-ups, Lordy has, rounding up, 35 HP, 16 strength, 14 magic, 12 skill, 18 speed, 10 luck, 18 defense, and 14 resistance. This doesn't include promotion bonuses but even with those Lordy is a weakling. His bad HP undermines the decent defense, his speed is passable at best, and the rest is disappointing to terrible. The promise of being a mixed attacker is lost on the lack of access to magical tomes. Magical melee weapons being strength-based in this system kills some of the fun.

Let's use cool character that is good and fun Ike, the main character of FE9, for a contrast. At the same level he'd have 46 HP, 23 strength, 9 magic, 23 skill, 25 speed, 16 luck, 20 defense, and 13 resistance. This is what a cool, fun, good character looks like. Ike is a person on whom you can rely. He can stand on the front lines and kick asses. Lordy is a mush compared. The dice rolls are weighted towards lower amounts so your characters end up weaker, and a lot blander. With so many 40%s Lordy is at the whims of dice rolls after being brutalized by dice rolls.

Of course, you could go weird with the bases, and frankly having lopsided stats is probably for the best since you can't really play with growths. The average 320% total these rolls produce could be a lot more interesting to use if you could distribute them more freely, but really, why are the random growths randomly determined?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Bendigeidfran posted:

A response to a question about roleplaying the opposite gender. The last section is just, why are you bringing this up? Why?:

This reminds me of when a groupmate realized that I was playing a male character, asked for clarification that said male character was straight, and then spent several minutes dancing around asking me straight-out if I was a lesbian. In his defense, he was a dumb 17-year-old; I can't imagine goddamn adults grilling each other about their and their characters' prurient interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I got 1 on the 1d4, so I have 29 points. I went 5 strength, 2 magic, 6 skill, 6 speed, 4 luck, 5 defense, 1 resistance. Pretty average build for a level 1 Lord but sort of wimpy. What's the Lord's base HP and specified dice? I'm going to imagine it's somewhere around 18 HP after all is said and done, since so many FE Lords have that at level 1, so I'll use that for my hypothetical.

For growths I rolled 60/40/40/20/40/20/40/40 for a growth total of 300%. We have a word for characters with this low of average growths. It's "bad." I'll assign them in order. Using pretty mundane endgame Fire Emblem levels of 20/10, or 29 level-ups, Lordy has, rounding up, 35 HP, 16 strength, 14 magic, 12 skill, 18 speed, 10 luck, 18 defense, and 14 resistance. This doesn't include promotion bonuses but even with those Lordy is a weakling. His bad HP undermines the decent defense, his speed is passable at best, and the rest is disappointing to terrible. The promise of being a mixed attacker is lost on the lack of access to magical tomes. Magical melee weapons being strength-based in this system kills some of the fun.

Let's use cool character that is good and fun Ike, the main character of FE9, for a contrast. At the same level he'd have 46 HP, 23 strength, 9 magic, 23 skill, 25 speed, 16 luck, 20 defense, and 13 resistance. This is what a cool, fun, good character looks like. Ike is a person on whom you can rely. He can stand on the front lines and kick asses. Lordy is a mush compared. The dice rolls are weighted towards lower amounts so your characters end up weaker, and a lot blander. With so many 40%s Lordy is at the whims of dice rolls after being brutalized by dice rolls.

Of course, you could go weird with the bases, and frankly having lopsided stats is probably for the best since you can't really play with growths. The average 320% total these rolls produce could be a lot more interesting to use if you could distribute them more freely, but really, why are the random growths randomly determined?

Oh ho ho, that's not the best part.

Guess what also needs a formula? EXP

quote:

If the opponent is hit: (31−(A.LVL−D.LVL))/A.ClassValue
Level is increased by 20 for promoted units, i.e. a Lvl 6 Paladin would be considered lvl 26. Also, Class Value is equal to the following:

Soldier/Priest/Thief: 2
All other classes: 3

If the opponent is killed: 30+(D.ClassValue∗D.LVL)−(A.ClassValue∗A.LVL) or 1, which ever is higher.
This result is modified if the opponent is the following:

Boss: +40
Bishop/Valkyrie: -20
Thief: +20

Staves also get a different exp table and formulas.
This is the range formula for one of the long range staves. 1-(user's Magic / 2)

AND THAT'S NOT ALL.

You also get weapon exp!

quote:

Weapon Ranks

In each of the different types of weapons, a unit has six different ranks, assuming the unit is able to use that type of weapon. These ranks, from least to most proficient, are E, D, C, B, A, and S. Units with higher ranks can use more powerful weapons of the type they are proficient in. Also, units with an S rank gain bonuses in battle as long as they wield a weapon of that type. Units can only have one S rank for weapon proficiency. Only promoted units can have S rank proficiencies; unpromoted units can only reach up to 250 experience in a weapon proficiency.

Weapon Experience

With every attack, units gain experience with the weapon type they use. With enough experience, the unit will go up in rank for that weapon, until they reach the S rank (or A rank if they already have an S rank). In battle, a unit gains the following experience in weapon proficiency for the weapon type they used:

1 EXP per hit with normal weapons (i.e. Iron, Steel, Silver)
1 EXP per hit with ranged physical weapons (i.e. Javelin, Hand Axe, etc.)
1 EXP per hit with magic tomes
2 EXP per hit with reaver weapons (i.e. Axereaver, Lancereaver, etc.)
2 EXP using a Heal staff
3 EXP using Mend, Recover, Restore, or Physic staves
4 EXP using a Barrier staff
5 EXP using Torch, Unlock, Silence, Sleep, Berserk or Fortify staves
7 EXP using Rescue or Warp staves
8 EXP using a Hammerne staff
Ballistae, catapults, etc. do not award EXP
GMs can use their own values for custom weapons/staves if they choose to do so.
When units are promoted, they will gain +40 exp for each weapon they are proficient in, in their previous class. If they are proficient in more than one, and this would cause more than one weapon to upgrade to an S rank, the player chooses which rank becomes an S and the rest an A.

Since you asked for Lord stats:

quote:

Base HP: 16 + 1d4
Constitution: 2d4 + 2
Movement: 5 (foot)
Weapon Proficiency: Your choice of one of the following: Sword, Axe, or Lance
Upgrades to: Great Lord

Every class has one of those too.

And promotions depend on sex.

quote:

Stat - Male Physical Unit - Female Physical Unit - Male Magical Unit - Female Magical Unit
HP +4 +4 +4 +4
STR +2 +3 n/a n/a
MAG n/a n/a +2 +2
DEF +2 +3 +4 +5
RES +4 +4 +2 +2
SKL +2 +2 +2 +2
SPD +2 +2 +2 +2
LUK +0 +0 +0 +0
CON +0 +0 +0 +0
MOV +0 +0 +0 +0

I mean yes, some FE games work like this. I'm not criticizing the video games, I really like them. I'm just :psyduck: about going into this detail with loving d20. Why not use d100?

You are also meant to track weapon durability amongst your 25 different units (max army size)

• Locked thread