Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

The Slammy Awards are typically a boon to ratings and they just tanked, so you can't blame it all on football season.

When your ratings are identical year to year you can't blame one bad rating on anything other than variance or something that was specifically bad on that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I Before E posted:

I thought Eva was fired recently.

No, she's off recovering from the most ridiculous boob job injury.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I was just watching the opening to an old episode of Nitro (8/16/99) , the one after Road Wild 99 and it started with a Lash Leroux v Juventud Guerrera match and it was fairly decent but after 3 minutes Sid came down and interfered really spoiling what could have been a good match. Was this a regular occurrence in WCW at this time?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

I was just watching the opening to an old episode of Nitro (8/16/99) , the one after Road Wild 99 and it started with a Lash Leroux v Juventud Guerrera match and it was fairly decent but after 3 minutes Sid came down and interfered really spoiling what could have been a good match. Was this a regular occurrence in WCW at this time?

short answer, oh god yes.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

WeaponX posted:

short answer, oh god yes.

God forbid the crowd be entertained I suppose. Having said that Disco Inferno just came out and did a small promo that lead to a match between him and Benoit which was good and Sid was nowhere near it, WCW was a funny beast. Also Disco Inferno seems entertaining, is his work worth tracking down?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Ultragonk posted:

Sid's gimmick at the time was that he was chasing Goldberg's streak so he would run down to interfere in all kinds of random matches and powerbomb everybody, counting those as "wins" for his streak. It was a funny gimmick.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

Streak Sid rules.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

MassRafTer posted:

When your ratings are identical year to year you can't blame one bad rating on anything other than variance or something that was specifically bad on that show.

It showed that nobody gives a poo poo about the Slammy's anymore.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
From Balor and Itami in NXT I'm moved to ask; how the hell does the double foot stomp from the corner not just horribly damage someone? Folding legs for the landing would help, I guess, but still.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Revenant Threshold posted:

From Balor and Itami in NXT I'm moved to ask; how the hell does the double foot stomp from the corner not just horribly damage someone? Folding legs for the landing would help, I guess, but still.

I'm not sure how, but as I can recall it's actually considered one of the safer moves to do in the corner. That's what I remember from when Lo-ki was on NXT or something

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I suppose if the person doing the stomp was moving forward as well as down, they'd be able to land on the other guy without exerting a lot of downward pressure

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sasha aint ratchet posted:

I'm not sure how, but as I can recall it's actually considered one of the safer moves to do in the corner. That's what I remember from when Lo-ki was on NXT or something

It definitely can injure people though , iirc Davey Richards gave Paul London a concussion off a double stomp in ROH a couple years ago.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It helps that the guys who do double stomps tend to weigh like 9 lbs

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
How does Kevin SteenOwens cannonball splash in the corner not hurt like hell? It's not exactly like he can control very much of what he's doing and the opponent is just sitting there and can't really do much to not just get crushed.

I'm guessing the answer just might be that it really does hurt like hell. Mostly I was just surprised to see that WWE let him do the move.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
In regards to double stomps, how does Cesaro's standing one not hurt like hell? That's a lot of dude to hop on top of your chest.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I know in regards to strikes like kicks or knees the wrestler slaps their leg to get that "smack" sound. But I noticed with certain other moves like lariats or stuff like this (at :50) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMB8JZgPJrI they produce a similar sound as well. Just curious at to how that's done (unless theyre legit hitting the guy) as I don't notice any leg slapping.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't know but I do remember Macho Man botching his elbow drop and breaking three of Little Naitch's ribs once.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MrBling posted:

How does Kevin SteenOwens cannonball splash in the corner not hurt like hell? It's not exactly like he can control very much of what he's doing and the opponent is just sitting there and can't really do much to not just get crushed.

I'm guessing the answer just might be that it really does hurt like hell. Mostly I was just surprised to see that WWE let him do the move.

It does hurt like hell my all accounts. One of the more dangerous moves.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Savage usually landed on his hip while doing the Elbow so as not to murder the other guy. Once his hip was hosed and he couldn't do that anymore, he just started murdering the other guy.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
usually the stomps end with sliding off to the side of the opponent, so it just hurts like hell instead of max-hell or splash-hell

Roman Reigns posted:

I know in regards to strikes like kicks or knees the wrestler slaps their leg to get that "smack" sound. But I noticed with certain other moves like lariats or stuff like this (at :50) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMB8JZgPJrI they produce a similar sound as well. Just curious at to how that's done (unless theyre legit hitting the guy) as I don't notice any leg slapping.

probably either slapping his own chest or just slapping the other guy's chest, or both. Old stage combat stuff.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Unless you're Stan Hansen, then you just swing your arm and hope for the worst.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Manwithastick posted:

2 big rather open questions

1. What is causing the big slump in viewership for the WWE?

This one's really pretty dependent on what time scale you're discussing. Within the year? It's a mix of football and business cycle. Things don't usually kick back up until the Mania build.

If you're asking longer term, WWE suffers from the same issues that everything except for Football suffers from. People consume entertainment differently than they did 3 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, etc. You can watch RAW, you can watch one of hundreds of other programs available at the same time, you can watch something you missed OnDemand, you can watch Netflix, you can catch something else on your DVR or you can save RAW for Wednesday night when nothing else is really on.

Narratively satisfying as "the booking and/or John Cena sucks" may be, declining ratings on a longer scale isn't some WWE exclusive problem. It's everything except for the NFL (and cult favorite shows that get added to Netflix during hiatus).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Geoff Peterson posted:

This one's really pretty dependent on what time scale you're discussing. Within the year? It's a mix of football and business cycle. Things don't usually kick back up until the Mania build.

If you're asking longer term, WWE suffers from the same issues that everything except for Football suffers from. People consume entertainment differently than they did 3 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, etc. You can watch RAW, you can watch one of hundreds of other programs available at the same time, you can watch something you missed OnDemand, you can watch Netflix, you can catch something else on your DVR or you can save RAW for Wednesday night when nothing else is really on.

Narratively satisfying as "the booking and/or John Cena sucks" may be, declining ratings on a longer scale isn't some WWE exclusive problem. It's everything except for the NFL (and cult favorite shows that get added to Netflix during hiatus).

Basically this. Ratings are down everywhere now. One of the fun things to do is to go back the last few years and look at cancelled TV shows and the type of ratings they were getting, compared to what TV shows still on the air get now. You can have just a couple of million watching and it's considered a hit. Some networks would kill to have the numbers they were getting 2/3 years ago.

As for WWE itself, there's that and there's also fatigue. If you turned on the TV and watched Raw once a year you'd probably see roughly the same thing. Same people, similar storylines. The more of a product there is, the more watered down it becomes. Wrestling is already something of a niche market, and they're expecting people to watch how many hours a week of it? If WWE improve their product, which means improving their whole way of thinking, then I think they'll see some sort of rise in the ratings. As it is though they'll just stagnate.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Manwithastick posted:

2 big rather open questions

1. What is causing the big slump in viewership for the WWE?

*gazes into crystal ball*

It's bad

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Thauros posted:

It definitely can injure people though , iirc Davey Richards gave Paul London a concussion off a double stomp in ROH a couple years ago.

In fairness, that was a double foot stomp on the apron, which just seems like a dumb idea anyway. And it looked like it sucked real bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybuoPnJs8pQ

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DrVenkman posted:

Basically this. Ratings are down everywhere now. One of the fun things to do is to go back the last few years and look at cancelled TV shows and the type of ratings they were getting, compared to what TV shows still on the air get now. You can have just a couple of million watching and it's considered a hit. Some networks would kill to have the numbers they were getting 2/3 years ago.

As for WWE itself, there's that and there's also fatigue. If you turned on the TV and watched Raw once a year you'd probably see roughly the same thing. Same people, similar storylines. The more of a product there is, the more watered down it becomes. Wrestling is already something of a niche market, and they're expecting people to watch how many hours a week of it? If WWE improve their product, which means improving their whole way of thinking, then I think they'll see some sort of rise in the ratings. As it is though they'll just stagnate.

Ratings are down everywhere and Raw has averaged a 3.0 the last three years.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Sir Jebus posted:

In fairness, that was a double foot stomp on the apron, which just seems like a dumb idea anyway. And it looked like it sucked real bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybuoPnJs8pQ

Anytime I see that video and see the link to YoukilledPaul2, I can't help but be pissed that neither did the ref end the match right then and there, or at least tell Davey to cover London for a fast 1-2-3, but actually let the match go ahead for almost 2 more minutes, including letting Paul do an SSP while clearly concussed.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Germansimp posted:

Anytime I see that video and see the link to YoukilledPaul2, I can't help but be pissed that neither did the ref end the match right then and there, or at least tell Davey to cover London for a fast 1-2-3, but actually let the match go ahead for almost 2 more minutes, including letting Paul do an SSP while clearly concussed.

i blame the stupid rear end roh style for having a guy be back on offense minutes after eating a move like that

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know but I do remember Macho Man botching his elbow drop and breaking three of Little Naitch's ribs once.

This sounded pretty horrifying so I looked it up and apparently it was actually his vertebrae that were broken :aaa:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

i blame the stupid rear end roh style for having a guy be back on offense minutes after eating a move like that

They went home early because of the injury not because of the style.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Squalitude posted:

This sounded pretty horrifying so I looked it up and apparently it was actually his vertebrae that were broken :aaa:

DDP said he hated taking Savage's elbow because it was "tear the meat off his ribs", whatever that means.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i think that means it was a hard landing

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

MassRafTer posted:

He was saying that they didn't end it early enough and that a concussed guy shouldn't have been made to bust out a SSP.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

fair point i didnt even consider that he had to go over

as for having a guy do that poo poo with a concussion, well thats wrestling everywhere in any era and yes its stupid but it is how it is. hopefully it changes at some point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

titties posted:

He was saying that they didn't end it early enough and that a concussed guy shouldn't have been made to bust out a SSP.

You can still go home early without going home early enough. Wrestlers have a mentality that they want to finish the match even if they are injured so they figure out some sort of finish even if it is stupid. That was the issue here not the ROH style of guys not selling as was said in the post I replied to.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Spermgod posted:

as for having a guy do that poo poo with a concussion, well thats wrestling everywhere in any era and yes its stupid but it is how it is. hopefully it changes at some point.

MassRafTer posted:

You can still go home early without going home early enough. Wrestlers have a mentality that they want to finish the match even if they are injured so they figure out some sort of finish even if it is stupid. That was the issue here not the ROH style of guys not selling as was said in the post I replied to.

I wouldn't have believed this was still a thing before these replies.

I assumed that thanks to safety policies / concussion and brain damage awareness, smart crowds, and the abandonment of serious kayfabe, there is no reason to continue a match when someone has an easily-noticeable brain injury. 99% of the fans understand that wrestling is pre-determined and (I assume) will not poo poo on a match if it is called due to serious injury. Throw up the loving X and get the injured guy out of the ring, it's 2014.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

titties posted:

I wouldn't have believed this was still a thing before these replies.

I assumed that thanks to safety policies / concussion and brain damage awareness, smart crowds, and the abandonment of serious kayfabe, there is no reason to continue a match when someone has an easily-noticeable brain injury. 99% of the fans understand that wrestling is pre-determined and (I assume) will not poo poo on a match if it is called due to serious injury. Throw up the loving X and get the injured guy out of the ring, it's 2014.

not only does every wrestler ever insist on finishing the match, they get mad if someone steps in and stops it for them

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

not only does every wrestler ever insist on finishing the match, they get mad if someone steps in and stops it for them

Bryan losing his poo poo for that exact thing probably helped his career.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It should probably be the responsibility of the promotors to protect hurt and concussed wrestlers from stupid decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

There's like three minutes there where all they should do is have Davey roll him over for three. Davey even went over for god's sake, it wasn't like they needed to do a Steve Austin-post-piledriver rollup (not that anyone would care anyway). It was really dumb to do any more bumps.