Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I thought the nuclear poo poo might be a big factor

Do modern ships still have asbestos?

How often do they give old ships to other countries? I know they gave one to Pakistan not too long ago.

So I assume hauling it out to sea and blowing It the gently caress up it is the most viable option? I know they do that sometimes. And might provide good training and research

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Asbestos was a component in steam pipe insulation at least as recently as 1992, though they were trying to replace it by stages when I left.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Christoff posted:

Why don't they scrap those things for metal anyways?

Eventually, they usually do. These shipyards are sort of a naval equivalent of AMARC, where the old hardware is stored in varying states of usefulness either for parts, or for possible return to service, before a decision is made on what to ultimately do with them. Some are used as targets like America, which I'd loving love to get details on but will be forever classified because it was a test on how a supercarrier actually takes damage and sinks. Some are used to create reefs like Oriskany, which was cool as hell to watch sink. Some become museums, some are scrapped, some are sold off to other nations. A whole bunch of our WWII destroyers served for decades after the USN retired them, sailing in other navies.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Preflight kegels.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Those carriers in the pic aren't nuclear fuelled FYI, only Enterprise and the Nimitz class are, so the really biglarge decomm problems are still ahead.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Christoff posted:

Why don't they scrap those things for metal anyways?

I remember some ballsy urban explorers checked out the ships off the coast of San Fran

http://scotthaefner.com/beyond/mothball-fleet-ghost-ships/

Whole lotta insane butthurt going on in those comments there, but this is my favorite:

quote:

Woohoo, you guys are some kind of really bad dudes. You remind me of the vignette in the movie “Major Payne”, where the ‘kid cadets tried to break into the competing military school and steal the trophy. You guys had some hair-raising excitement- almost lost a paddle, broke the invisible 500 yard barrier, a spotlight in your eyes and a leak in your cheesy little WalMart raft. One look at you with your dark colored “assault cap” and hoodie and those pesky security guards knew not to take on a raft full of serious UrbExers.
After reading your nail-biter of an article, I breathlessly pursued your links re: UrbEx. I was linked to the piece on the Greystone Park Lunatic Asylum. I bet you almost pooped your panties when you saw the ” forgotten beauty shop chair”. Are you sure the chair wasn’t some Bush-Cheney tortue instrument??? If Bush had not been such an idiot, he would have closed the place, but,alas, the lunatic asylum remained in operation until Obama was elected.
Want some real adventure, hot shots? Join the military, volunteer for an elite unit, make the cut and teat your limits. Until then, I smirk at you and urbWx punks like you.

"You guys think UrbEx is cool? Try Delta Force." :smug:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Buzzing the tower. It was at the conclusion of a counter-sea exercise the BUFFs were running on the CVBG.

e: It's got a nose-down attitude because of the angle at which the BUFF's wings are set. Since it's got a bicycle gear as opposed to tricycle, it can't rotate in the traditional sense on takeoff...so in order to takeoff it "comes unstuck" and basically levitates off the ground thanks to the angle of incidence the wings are set at. The trade-off is that in level flight it rides at a slightly nose down attitude.
Crews working with the Navy used to request TACAN approaches to the carrier for funsies, but most didn't take it below the top deck. I haven't heard of anyone doing it in years though; probably a case of everyone wanting approval from three different bosses before they let you do something unusual.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Crews working with the Navy used to request TACAN approaches to the carrier for funsies, but most didn't take it below the top deck. I haven't heard of anyone doing it in years though; probably a case of everyone wanting approval from three different bosses before they let you do something unusual.

That picture was from 1990, so yeah

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

suboptimal posted:

Whole lotta insane butthurt going on in those comments there, but this is my favorite:

"You guys think UrbEx is cool? Try Delta Force." :smug:

Haha what the hell. Are people really that jealous/mad?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Haha what the hell. Are people really that jealous/mad?

He made one comment about how the Bush administration ignored the toxic decay of the ships during the 2000s therefore he's a jobless tree-hugging hippie fagmotron.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I thought the little Delta Force bit was added and exaggerated by you until I read the bit at the end lol

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Yeah, looking around at his site, it's really insane how that one bit about Bush produced roughly 10x comments than any of his other posts, and were pretty much the only negative ones I saw. I'll bet some dude from the forums at UnitedWeStandWolfhunterSheepdogs.50megs.com probably saw this and posted a thread about it, rallying his buddies to the fight.

Some of his other urbex posts are pretty cool, especially the Six Flags New Orleans one. Some friends and I got in there one night back in 2008 and even three years later, the place had a serious 28 Days Later feel to it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

wait what

This is fake right

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Christoff posted:

wait what

This is fake right

Harrier pilots are all loving terrible so yeah it's probably fake

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Christoff posted:

wait what

This is fake right

Well, it's not a Harrier...

And if it's fake they did a really good job.

xergm posted:

My favorite has always been this pass:

External view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UntN_cZUQg8

Cockpit view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1G-RrZbTL4

South America, where life is cheap.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Huh I always kind of wondered what it sounded like on the business end of an attack heli's gun run... Now I know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5uzTggVEjU - poo poo starts getting all :munch: at ~2:10

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Duke Chin posted:

Huh I always kind of wondered what it sounded like on the business end of an attack heli's gun run... Now I know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5uzTggVEjU - poo poo starts getting all :munch: at ~2:10

WARNING: DOES NOT SHOW TALIBS GETTING SHREDDED ON THEIR 21st CENTURY DRAGON HUNT

still very cool

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Yeah, wow, I got a little boner from seeing those dudes peace the gently caress out after making GBS threads their pants.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Christoff posted:

wait what

This is fake right

It's not fake, if I recall someone did the math and the plane was between 80cm to 1m off the ground during that pass.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Duke Chin posted:

This is why I could never switch teams and join the Jihad.

I at no point ever. I repeat, EVER want to be on the wrong end of an A10, Apache or Cobra run.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Pro beard.

E: nvm that stache is terrible.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dude's got the right idea, those 72 virgins aren't nearly as fun with your junk shot off.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

This is why I could never switch teams and join the Jihad.

I at no point ever. I repeat, EVER want to be on the wrong end of an A10, Apache or Cobra run.

What about an AC-130? Probably the most fun one out of the bunch.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiQazjMVBMI

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The AC-130 mission in COD a few years back owned.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mike-o posted:

Males me sad any time I drive past Bremerton, but I've got one happy memory of my dad taking me to see the Missouri and walk around on it right before they sent it to Hawaii :unsmith:

I was lucky enough to be in Hawai'i when they towed her in. Seeing a battleship floating by was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 16, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6N4YjGPXiY

00:40

:fh:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

*pooooooooooooot*

This actually reminds me: are they still using DU in the mix or did that eliminate that years ago? I loving love that plane.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The most military of images

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Booblord Zagats posted:

The most military of images

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
the only thing that i regret about leaving the army is that i will (probably) never participate in a firefight again in my life.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Chinatown posted:

Check out the phone app Zombie Gunship.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What's that second movie at the end?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kavak posted:

What's that second movie at the end?

2012, it was bad but had some awesome set shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcIjFeWE4fE

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mike-o posted:

the only thing that i regret about leaving the army is that i will (probably) never participate in a firefight again in my life.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mike-o posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC0DcqK4UZw

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Where'd you find this video of me

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Someone post the forearm shooting mp5 gif. I'm on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Chinatown posted:

It's pretty clear that they handed this video to the developers and said, "Make that the level." Like, down to copy/pasting some of the crew chatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-gMMQTt5-c

EDIT: Not complaining, mind you...

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 16, 2014

• Locked thread