Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
God, I'd love to do a classic sitcom primer if I had the time at some point- you could write a book about the 1970s alone.

(Barney Miller is the best '70s sitcom and one of the greatest TV shows ever, but jesus, watch MTM, Bob Newhart, Taxi, Soap, and The Odd Couple, which is so well-put-together that it might as well be a textbook on how to write comedy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I LOVE FRONT BUTT
Jan 15, 2005

They can never see us :allears:
The latest ones I've binged through were The Thick Of It and Hannibal and holy cow! Each of them were amazing for very different reasons. Currently going through Babylon 5 and I think this is shaping up to be one of my favourite sci-fis (apart from the acting. Oh my god the acting has been atrocious. I'm so pleased they're slowly getting better through the seasons).

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I really enjoyed the detectorists.
It's a show about "The lives of two eccentric metal detectorists, who spend their days plodding along ploughed tracks and open fields, hoping to disturb the tedium by unearthing the fortune of a lifetime."

I hardly ever laughed out loud, and the plot was a bit predictable from time to time.
But the characters really grew on me and I don't exactly know why, but I loved it and hope they'll make a second season soon.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Going through From Dusk Till Dawn. i'm at ep 9, it's a fun as all hell show. Your man who plays Seth Gecko knows his Clooneyisms.

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012
I just finished season 4 of the shield, about to start season 5. Its a drat good show, definetly grew on me as it went on. Can anybody link me to the thread for it? I can not for the life of me find it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104600

Also, I sincerely hope you enjoy season 5, it's some of the best tv I've ever seen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching The Dead Zone. I'm only in the first season but I've been enjoying it so far.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104600

Also, I sincerely hope you enjoy season 5, it's some of the best tv I've ever seen.

Just bringing sandwiches to your friends :)

If you like the show Dead zone watch the movie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Just bringing sandwiches to your friends :)

loving heartbreaking, every time I see it. Every time. He's just so thankful to get some food :smith:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Marco Polo is a legit great show. If nothing more than being a Kung Fu fan, you should watch it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm watching The Dead Zone. I'm only in the first season but I've been enjoying it so far.

I read the book first and ended up not really liking the show too much after watching the first season. It was alright but not the kind of thing that made me binge through it until the end. I'd be curious to find out if the other seasons are any good.

I'm almost done going through Suits, a few episodes into the last season. I didn't think I'd like it but it's not bad.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I started watching House of Cards. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but I'm a few episodes in and it's growing on me.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vicious. The first two episodes are uneven, but all of a sudden it's on fire for the third episode (Freddie auditions for Downton Abbey) and maintains it well for the fourth episode. Not a perfect series by any means, but it's Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi playing off each other and that's enough to maintain it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ray Donovan is stellar. It's all available on Showtime Anytime (which is on AppleTV).

Highly recommend it, it's a thrill ride. And there are really, really funny parts when it's really just a big ol' drama.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm almost done going through Suits, a few episodes into the last season. I didn't think I'd like it but it's not bad.

It ends off this half-season with it's best "mid-season" twist yet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

I read the book first and ended up not really liking the show too much after watching the first season. It was alright but not the kind of thing that made me binge through it until the end. I'd be curious to find out if the other seasons are any good.

I've not read the book myself. I'm actually more familiar with the oeuvre of Stephen King via its adaptations!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

I started watching House of Cards. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but I'm a few episodes in and it's growing on me.

I don't know if you've seen Arrow but the second season of both of those shows features an ever increasing ratcheting up of tension, it's great.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

About to finish the last season of Sherlock and then we are either going to start Fringe or Boardwalk Empire.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Is there a thread for From Dusk Till Dawn? Been binge watching this after seeing the movie for the first time and not expecting much. At first it seems like a pointless re-telling of the movie but after a few episodes it really comes into its own and gets pretty addictive.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I recently started watching Sons of Anarchy. On season 2 now. It's very good so far with very likable characters. They do seem to have some strange disconnect between the extremely dark subject matter (graphic rape and murder) and honestly pretty happy character interaction. Overall I'm liking it a lot. These bikers have very white teeth.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I recently started watching Sons of Anarchy. On season 2 now. It's very good so far with very likable characters. They do seem to have some strange disconnect between the extremely dark subject matter (graphic rape and murder) and honestly pretty happy character interaction. Overall I'm liking it a lot. These bikers have very white teeth.

Keep watching!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EDIT: ^^ Ha. ^^

PantsBandit posted:

You should really head over to the SoA thread in TVIV :getin:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just finished The 4400. It wasn't bad and had a pretty interesting concept. Wish it hadn't ended on a cliffhanger.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I heard something about Vick Mackey showing up? I only saw the first couple episodes and didn't like it even with Ron Perlman doing his thing. But I want to see Mackey.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I heard something about Vick Mackey showing up? I only saw the first couple episodes and didn't like it even with Ron Perlman doing his thing. But I want to see Mackey.

Keep watching! He really hits all the right notes in his appearance!

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

PantsBandit posted:

Stop watching as soon as the baby gets kidnapped. It's all downhill from there.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't think I've ever seen a more disastrous, rapid, sustained, and just thoroughly unpleasant fall in quality in a TV programme as the one Sons of Anarchy indulged in. Kurt Sutter is a oval office.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
This makes me very sad :(

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Okay, Gracepoint. Now I've never watched Broadchurch, so that's definitely not what I'm thinking of, but I feel like I've seen something extremely similar to its double-twist before. But I can't figure out what I'm thinking of, or maybe it's just my imagination, kid.

Gobble Snarf
May 27, 2014
Just finished Fargo.

Aaaahh. That was really, really good. I know I like a show if I end up watching all the credits to try give myself time to absorb everything before the next episode. I'm excited to see how next season plays out.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I recently started going through The Wire. I finished episode 2 of season 3 yesterday and man, it's soooo good. Hard to follow at times but still, I love every minute of it so far.

e: Really wish there was a thread for new viewers though. I could write all day about how much I love it so far.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 17, 2014

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
The wife and I are watching The 100. It's pretty good, I love a show with a high body count.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Zeratanis posted:

I recently started going through The Wire. I finished episode 2 of season 3 yesterday and man, it's soooo good. Hard to follow at times but still, I love every minute of it so far.

e: Really wish there was a thread for new viewers though. I could write all day about how much I love it so far.

I'm about to re-watch the show for the 4th time but I think I'm going to wait for the HD version to see what it's like.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just finished Broadchurch in just a bit over a day, such a great show.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've been binging through Once Upon a Time. It's oddly charming. I like the way they weave unrelated fables together into one setting and connect fable-land to the real-world.

My only gripe is the terrible green-screen effects. Either the show has a very low budget or the effects team is awfully untalented.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I just finished watching all of the (previous) seasons of "blue bloods" on netflix and I really liked it. I was not sure about Fat Magnum P.I. but it turns out he is awesome. Fat Magnum P.I. doesn't take poo poo from anybody.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Friends is on for like 4 hours right when I get home from work and I rather watch that than Judge Judy or Dr. Phil. I used to watch it with my mom as a kid when it aired live so I've must have seen every episode at least 10 times by now. Still find Chandler hilarious.

^ My uncle loving loves Blue Bloods. He tries to get me to watch it whenever I see him.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

calandryll posted:

Just finished Broadchurch in just a bit over a day, such a great show.

Same here, I absolutely loved watching it but when it ended I didn't really feel so great about it anymore, which is weird.
I guess it's just those mystery shows that span a whole load of episodes make me feel a bit cheated. I could've just gone and watched a Miss Marple!

That said I really liked the atmosphere they set up and the character building, etc. That made it great.
Apparently there's gonna be a Season 2? I wonder what they'll do for that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PantsBandit posted:

I'm just finishing up the series, watching season 7 as I type at work. It...gets pretty loopy at times and sooo many fans hate the creator for the direction it goes, but I think it's watchable all the way through. Lots of twists and turns. I should finish the last few episodes before I finish up today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I'm just finishing up the series, watching season 7 as I type at work. It...gets pretty loopy at times and sooo many fans hate the creator for the direction it goes, but I think it's watchable all the way through. Lots of twists and turns. I should finish the last few episodes before I finish up today.

You really should check out the thread.