Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are you sure that one is a bug? It sounds pretty drat intentional to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yeah, both of those bugs honestly sound like they were on purpose.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Daunt animation plays on them during the scene it happens, and it only triggers under a specific circumstance (must have Wing-Crossed before the event) so I think it's a bug.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

ImpAtom posted:

Are you sure that one is a bug? It sounds pretty drat intentional to me.

It sounds a lot like a certain event in D. Angel Halo sets everyone to low morale, except for Hiiro, Gou, and Wentos who are unaffected.

Still, reusing the Daunt animation is not ideal!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There were a few events in @3 that lowered everyone's will that didn't effect units with the status effect immunity skill or robots from GGG and Virtual On.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

There were a few events in @3 that lowered everyone's will that didn't effect units with the status effect immunity skill or robots from GGG and Virtual On.
I think Rei from Evangelion was one of them.

Appropriate, yet amusing.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
UX seems like it was a step in the right direction in terms of doing interesting stuff (like various units having unusual MAP effect weaponry, and general mechanics introduced), and also breaking out of the box and not being afraid to do weird things with licenses and writing. It's just...uh it's very clear it had an incredibly low budget. This is the game that made me pretty sure that there was an inexperienced B-team working on more and more projects (though I'm pretty sure they did some of the Code Geass stuff in Z2.2, my god the Knights of the Round look so bad) because the only things that don't look super awkward and janky are things that were likely direct animation rips from the shows. And the music is just not good. Sokyuu what did they do to you T.T (the seed destiny songs are alright though. could've done with making Life Goes On's drums more intense during the chorus and the intro to...the other song more pompous like in Z)

Said B-team is likely getting better because I'm under the impression they were handling Z3 as well, which has showed marked improvement from Tengoku's trailers, so maybe if we get another on the 3DS, it'll be much more polished.

...Maybe, just maybe, it will also not have Seed Destiny, Macross Frontier, and Dancougar Nova again because seriously those have been in literally every game since their debut. The first two are popular okay but why so much Dancougar Nova

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dancouga Nova basically allows them to have a single unit to pad out the roster with easily-hired voice actors.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Dancouga Nova also owns, so there is that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Dancouga Nova. Never watched the show, probably never will, but it's a cool unit with a cool theme song, so it's okay in my books.

I do agree that it would be nice to see OG Macross or Macross Plus instead of Macross Frontier from time to time.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
The Demonbane theme in UX is one of the themes that don't sound like complete rear end, if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALN55d93t8

As far as the Neo Holy Trinity of Seed D, D Nova and Macross F goes...

The original Macross seems kind of underutilized that I guess I could see them coming back, but one of its "weakness" IMO in their earlier appearances is unit differentiation in gameplay - Macross F has that, but the units in Macross are essentially carbon copies of each other with only the pilots being the difference. As someone who has a higher priority on fun gameplay with unit gimmicks, that's... no good?

SEED Destiny units are kind of fun despite all the hate towards its source material. I do think they should try to explore the SEED universe grunt units and minor characters a bit more though, as opposed to the usual Shinn/Kira/Athrun/Maybe Luna thing they have 24/7.

I don't really have any real grudge towards Dancouga Nova outside of the fact that I keep feeling like it's taking up the "multi-pilot Super" token slot. My favourite in that role would probably be Dangaioh, but it has the same issue has ZZ Gundam (Voice actors)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dancouga Nova is still in because it fills the required 5 pilot combiner slot in the SRW roster while having really cheap voice actors and also having a female lead (for variety).

I just wish they actually put some goddamn effort into their animations. The sprite they're still using for it in Z3.2 is just embarrassing at this point.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's not like Dancougar OG didn't get stuck in every single SRW they wanted to fill a multi-pilot Super slot with.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

It's not like Dancougar OG didn't get stuck in every single SRW they wanted to fill a multi-pilot Super slot with.
Truly a generation succession.

Well, at least I haven't had the "pleasure" of seeing Mediocre... I mean Great Dangaioh show up in SRW yet.

edit: Though I always related "token multi-super" more to Voltes and Combattler. Now THOSE two guys are way overused.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
UX actually does something sort of interesting with Dancougar Nova, in that it gives you Eida for the first chunk of the game and Nova proper is an upgrade for her. Honestly, Nova is inoffensive enough for me to not mind too much, and even Seed Destiny isn't too bothersome because they haven't used its plot at all for most of the games it's been in. But please stop making Macross Frontier matter, Banpresto, I want Macross Frontier to die a horrible death.

Also, UX got me interested in the Linebarrels of Iron manga, which is somehow actually really good and you should read it. Don't let your impressions get colored by the anime, it was one of the ones where they go out of the way to make it nothing like the manga, and also it was made by Gonzo.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The thing that has begun to bore me the most about Frontier is that there isn't any real enemy variety. The Vajra are all pretty similar attack wise and purposefully don't have any real character to speak of so they always just seem like filler. I'm still not even sure why I'm still fighting them in Z3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm honestly pretty disappointed with even more Frontier because their plot has been loving done to death.

It was only really meaningful in Z2 because they had Basara chillin' out doing his Basara thing which made it awesome.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like Dancouga Nova. Never watched the show, probably never will, but it's a cool unit with a cool theme song, so it's okay in my books.

Dancouga Nova is one of things where, just like the original Dancouga, it's much better in SRW than it is in the actual show. I mean there were parts of the original Dancouga I liked, but not much in Nova I did like outside of Aoi yelling attack names and being hot-blooded in general.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also the Vajra achieved Understanding with the good guys in Z2 except they really really suck at not getting mind-controlled so that's why Space Dad can give them to his son to use.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are going to be so many goddamn space monsters in Z3.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wish they'd make the Vajra into some sort of anti STMC. I fell like you could turn all the TV Macross villains into good versions of the Baal. Besides whatever Z name the team is now the forces of good in the Z universe are kind of thin.

Really please just do anything interesting with Frontier.

ImpAtom posted:

There are going to be so many goddamn space monsters in Z3.

And only the ones from Shin Getter have any sort of speaking characters and I'm pretty sure we killed those guys already.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 15, 2014

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Zentraedi helped with the BM3 operation in Alpha 3, so there's no reason the Vajra can't be bros at the very end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is like a 90% chance of us getting a stage where the Vajra and ELS show up to help out in the endgame, even if just in a cutscene. Possibly the Hideauze too.

Edit:
Man, I just realized that Setsuna's plot completely undercuts the end of Ledo's plot. "Maybe I'll find some way to talk to them..." " Have you tried shooting glowing particles and yelling really loud?!"

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Ethiser posted:

And only the ones from Shin Getter have any sort of speaking characters and I'm pretty sure we killed those guys already.
There was an Invader in the PV.

KoB
May 1, 2009

maou shoujo posted:

There was an Invader in the PV.

He was referring to Stinger and Cohen.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

The Zentraedi helped with the BM3 operation in Alpha 3, so there's no reason the Vajra can't be bros at the very end.

Didn't Lordgenome also say that the Vajra fought alongside him, the Dimensional Generals and Apollonius against the Ba'al in a previous cycle? Makes sense they'd join in to help us slap the Taiji around some.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
okay guys, I've decided to work on the Akurasu wiki, starting with the Alpha 2 database

Here's my work so far. Im adding the characters names in kanji, so people wont have to google the names so drat much

please let me know if theres anything in particular you need in the wiki! help would also be greatly appreciated!

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 15, 2014

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I got bit by the SRW bug again, so I'm working on my Z3.1 Stats Spreadsheet, if you want anymore Pilot data.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

I remember back when UX came out about the only English-language review I could find of it anywhere was this:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/14/dear-import-gamer-you-can-do-better-than-super-robot-wars-ux/
which come to think of it isn't a review considering the writer's use of the words 'will be' when referring to the game. So I guess this guy just saw the trailer and series list and decided to hate it. Also he uses the word 'cynical' in weird ways. But anyway the memory of this article kept me away from UX, though from this thread the reception seems to be more positive.

quote:

For some reason, Namco Bandai even saw fit to toss in SD Gundam Brave Battle Warriors, which has done its part in lowering Super Robot Wars UX's recommended age group to 3 and up.

Did this dude just get mad about them including a mecha series... for children...?

I mean, who the hell does he think the target audience of Gaogaigar was?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Hasn't Frontier only been in, like, three or four games? It can't be that bad. It's a bland story, but not overly horrible, right?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

HitTheTargets posted:

Hasn't Frontier only been in, like, three or four games? It can't be that bad. It's a bland story, but not overly horrible, right?

It got old when the actual anime ended. Seeing it that many times is worse (though having Basara around makes it better.) Suits are still good though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
At this point I'm sure Frontier has been in more games than original Macross. Which is a drat shame.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Oh man, if people's predictions about Valvrave and MJP teaming up with Geass and FMP, we are going to see a lot more Frontier. All high school, all the time. It's the platonic ideal of anime.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Davzz posted:

Both of them are controversial.

Ah, that's a shame. Maybe I'll just suck it up and go for Z3 after all, then.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

KoB posted:

He was referring to Stinger and Cohen.

Oh whoops, I misread his post as "have any sort of character" i.e. personality/quality.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

Did this dude just get mad about them including a mecha series... for children...?

I mean, who the hell does he think the target audience of Gaogaigar was?
Hey man, GGG is a sci-fi masterpiece for mature adu... uh, better not jinx things or mecha Voldemort might come around, knock on wood.

HitTheTargets posted:

Hasn't Frontier only been in, like, three or four games?
Technically I guess yes, but like Nadesico, because it showed up many times in succession, it feels more prevalent than it really is compared to say... the V Bros.

HitTheTargets posted:

Oh man, if people's predictions about Valvrave and MJP teaming up with Geass and FMP, we are going to see a lot more Frontier. All high school, all the time. It's the platonic ideal of anime.
I'm kind of sad that the way the Z series progressed in adding Geass/FMP/Gunbuster/Frontier split over multiple games in that they kind of missed an opportunity for having them all in the same school somehow.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Getsuya posted:

I remember back when UX came out about the only English-language review I could find of it anywhere was this:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/14/dear-import-gamer-you-can-do-better-than-super-robot-wars-ux/
which come to think of it isn't a review considering the writer's use of the words 'will be' when referring to the game. So I guess this guy just saw the trailer and series list and decided to hate it. Also he uses the word 'cynical' in weird ways. But anyway the memory of this article kept me away from UX, though from this thread the reception seems to be more positive.

DarrenFooMowChien posted:

lol, she got into the series in 2007? (there is not enough :smug: in this)

If she had actually played some of the older games, she wouldn't be that harsh in her article. Banpresto has a habit of reusing or redrawing the same sprites and they have been doing this for nearly two decades. The sprites in UX are obviously a step higher than L and you can't compare it to a big budget title like Z2 or OGS3. The strong points in every SRW game is its addictive strategy gameplay, music and series fan service. If you don't like a series featured in a SRW game, the last thing you should do is show your disdain to the reader since some of your readers might be die-hard fans of such series. Bias and uneducated journalism right there.

The retards in the community really make me shake my head sometimes.

i hate this loving fanbase sometimes

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 16, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Outside of the first and last statement, it's not particularly wrong though - now that people have actually played UX, the article does read like the author has done no research on the subject or selectively ignoring information, like the "reused sprites" thing which is more of the norm than the exception.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
#srwgate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He didn't even say anything about her gender.

• Locked thread