Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best team so far?
This poll is closed.
Warriors 117 48.35%
Raptors 39 16.12%
Bulls 15 6.20%
TrailBlazers 25 10.33%
Grizzlies 46 19.01%
Total: 242 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

We'll be replacing the scoreboard with a burndown chart, and any rebounds you can't get to just add them to the backlog, we'll get to them later.

We're also removing all chairs from the bench area and our players will be operating standing in order to increase effeciency and health of our workforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
What fun is owning an NBA team if you can't micromanage it into the ground?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Vire posted:

The only player who has played better than expected on the Heat this year is Shawne Williams. Let that sink in.

Who is that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Steve Kerr is like the loving best coach ever :allears:

quote:

When asked if the Warriors could pull it off, Kerr responded, "Oh God, no. No!"

Kerr followed that exclamation with, "We had this guy named Michael Jordan on that team. That year, I think we were 41-3. So if we can go 21-1 the next 22 games, come talk to me."

Kerr explained why the Bulls' record will never be matched by chalking it up to Michael Jordan's personality.

"What I remember that year is there were about 10 games where Michael just decided, 'We're going to win,'" he said. "And every other team on Earth would have lost those 10 games. And Michael Jordan was ... there'll never be another one. Nobody has ever come close, and I don't think anybody ever will. He wanted to break that Lakers record of 69 wins, so he decided we would do it, so we did it. There's only one Michael."

The Warriors won their 16th straight with a 128-122 overtime victory over the Pelicans on

quote:

Kerr, who hit one of the most famous Finals shots because Jordan passed out of a double-team, has a theory on why there’s so much demand for superstars to take the last shots: “It’s because people are idiots, that’s why. The point of the game is to get an open shot and if a guy’s double-teamed he should pass it. That’s the game.”

Is it too late to jump on the Warriors bandwagon?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

hitze posted:

Who is that

WEREWAIF posted this where he showed up:

http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/12/04/shot-selection-and-shot-making-a-quick-intro-to-xefg/

He's got the league's biggest increase (+14%) in EFG% from this season to last, thereby proving that he was technically in the league last year.

Even though his shot selection has, accordin' to them stats, become ever so slightly worse

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Vire posted:

The only player who has played better than expected on the Heat this year is Shawne Williams. Let that sink in.

It's almost as if losing the best player in the world is very detrimental to the quality of your team.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I also think we are fielding a team against the nets tomorrow that is so bad that they would lose to the 76ers. Starting 5 is Udonis Haslem, Shawne Williams, Luol Deng, Norris Cole and James Ennis.

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's almost as if losing the best player in the world is very detrimental to the quality of your team.

They didn't only lose him too they lost Ray Allen and Shane Battier and James Jones so basically all their 3 point shooting as well. Sure it was expected but people myself included though this team could win 40 in the east this year still. Turns out we were pretty wrong.

Vire fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 15, 2014

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I would argue Wade has been better than expected. He's still scoring well, shooting over 50% and played in 17/24 games this year. Besides Wade and Bosh the team has been pretty poo poo though.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

nachos posted:

I would argue Wade has been better than expected. He's still scoring well, shooting over 50% and played in 17/24 games this year. Besides Wade and Bosh the team has been pretty poo poo though.

Maybe i'm a crazy person but I expected that from Wade. Maybe slightly worse but I didn't think he would fall off a cliff like many were saying.

edit: The worst part about all this is we don't have our draft pick.

Vire fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 15, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

nachos posted:

This what Wade has done for most of the last several year, but people keep freaking out and calling him terrible because he'll have one bad playoff series when everyone is watching.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Good lord Kobe http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kobe-passes-jordan/

quote:

I’m aware of Father Time’s curfew. He has sent me to my room to brush my teeth before he tucks me in, but I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t walk to the bathroom slowly. I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t act as if someone misplaced the toothpaste. I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t brush every tooth twice, brush my tongue three times, floss until my gums bleed and rinse with mouthwash until the inside of my mouth burns and then goes numb.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Dexo posted:

Steve Kerr is like the loving best coach ever :allears:

Is it too late to jump on the Warriors bandwagon?

We'll take everyone! It's all love. Also, you're in way before the two dozen people who will start posting come playoff time.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

dubs need to sign beans if they want to chase that record imo

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vire posted:

Sure it was expected but people myself included though this team could win 40 in the east this year still. Turns out we were pretty wrong.

They're on pace for 38 wins, so it's not like they're way worse than expected

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Where has PantsFreeZone been during all this?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I think most people had Miami closer to 50 wins. Where's the survey?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EvanTH posted:

WEREWAIF posted this where he showed up:

http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/12/04/shot-selection-and-shot-making-a-quick-intro-to-xefg/

He's got the league's biggest increase (+14%) in EFG% from this season to last, thereby proving that he was technically in the league last year.

Even though his shot selection has, accordin' to them stats, become ever so slightly worse

D'Antoni would catch Williams playing defense and sit him from time to time but I actually thought he was one of the surprises of last year and I don't think he would've been cut if the Lakers didn't get into a situation where they had one uninjured guard on the roster and a forward had to go.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

morestuff posted:

They're on pace for 38 wins, so it's not like they're way worse than expected

Yeah but people expected them to make the play.... oh right, the east.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I think most people had Miami closer to 50 wins. Where's the survey?

Yeah I think it was 46 where most people settled. Just slightly over .500 The point being they won't be doing that haha.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Hopefully they can win enough games to not get a top ten pick, but not enough to make the playoffs. I want the Sixers to have two lottery picks for the third year in a row.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

If Miami finish around .500 and get bounced in the first round, do Deng and Wade pick up their player options next season? Or do they chase a ring somewhere?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If Miami finish around .500 and get bounced in the first round, do Deng and Wade pick up their player options next season? Or do they chase a ring somewhere?

I too cannot wait for "Wade to Cleveland?" next offseason.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Wade finishes here even if we are the worst team in the world he has had many chances to leave before. I don't know Deng well enough to say what he would do but I doubt he would leave considering he got his money and with the way he has been playing so far this year I doubt he will do better from any other team. He isn't really old enough to ring chase either he also seems to like being in miami and the organization even if the results haven't been great so far.

Vire fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 15, 2014

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Dude has three titles. He has no reason to leave.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Vire posted:

Wade finishes here even if we are the worst team in the world he has had many chances to leave before. I don't know Deng well enough to say what he would do but I doubt he would leave considering he got his money and with the way he has been playing so far this year I doubt he will do better from any other team. He isn't really old enough to ring chase either.

I think Wade takes his since he won't get anywhere near $16m, after that he could still chase rings though. I could see Deng getting similar money elsewhere next year.

It's always funny to hear people say "X player is finishing his career at Y". Only 20 out of the NBA's 50 greatest players list played for 1 team. And most of those were back in the day when free agency didn't exist.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Another way to counter the 4-on-5 strategy--just leave one of your offensive players in the backcourt to cover the cherry-picker. A 4-on-4 is still advantageous to the offense because it gives you more space to work with, and you could just leave your worst offensive player behind to cover.

If offsides gets implimented in the NBA because of this guy, it's going to suck.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Deng ain't gonna leave money on the table after all he's been through, unless someone else offers a crazy longer-paying deal.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I wouldn't be me if I didn't "hsss" at every bathroom fixture to assert the dominance of the Black Mamba

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Mutual interest between George Karl and the Kings. This might for out for them....

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Only took him 200 more games than Jordan. But still, not bad.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm going to post a Zach Lowe link now. Sorry, guys!

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/sacramento-kings-mike-malone-fired/

Words on the Kings.

quote:

There are a lot of issues roiling around the Kings’ shocking decision to fire Mike Malone, but the bottom line is this: The Kings brass, including Vivek Ranadivé, the team’s post-Maloof owner, has never been super-comfortable with Malone, and management appears to hold unreasonable expectations for the current roster, per several league sources familiar with the matter.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I said I was numb to bad decisions but I loving hate George Karl so I don't know what I would do

Josh Smith in Run-N-Gun here we come

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I would expect Wade is going to be one of the few future hall of famers currently in the league that had a great career playing with only one team. (The only others at the moment are Dirk, Spurs trio, and Kobe.)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jack's Flow posted:

I'm going to post a Zach Lowe link now. Sorry, guys!

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/sacramento-kings-mike-malone-fired/

Words on the Kings.

people like zach lowe, why are you apologizing for that

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Jack's Flow posted:

We'll take everyone! It's all love. Also, you're in way before the two dozen people who will start posting come playoff time.

I should probably start posting in NBA threads more so this isn't me come april

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The 5-on-4 plan is one of the most dumbest ideas that has ever been proposed at the professional level of any sport.

I also hope they do it and I hope Vivek gets more involved because crazy, dumb owners rule.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Niwrad posted:

The 5-on-4 plan is one of the most dumbest ideas that has ever been proposed at the professional level of any sport.

I also hope they do it and I hope Vivek gets more involved because crazy, dumb owners rule.

Portland has some young players who would fit a run and gun system if Vivek wants to offload Cousins.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If Boogie gets quoted saying the 4-on-5 plan is pants-on-head retarded and Vivek angrily trades him that would be loving hilarious.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Portland has some young players who would fit a run and gun system if Vivek wants to offload Cousins.

Man if he gets rid of Boogie too...theres not enough laughter in the world for the Kings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Like what reputable coach can they get who will actually take that strategy serious?

• Locked thread