Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Rascyc posted:

Because there was pretty much no content to go on in such a way that I'd stand out. I can understand if you were just meta'ing but you've got the meta framed incorrectly. When you pulled the "ras is scum" on the perceived basis of me being wrong, you were scum. You were screaming it right up until your lynch. I think you were saying it even AFTER hammer in the game I am thinking of~

I agree with Ras here. I think it is Somber who is being disingenuous in his reaction to Rascyc's point on the number of posts. When you're saying someone is standing out from the rest, then post volume definitely matters. Especially if you're making a call like that when they have so few posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Fiery, I would like to know your thoughts on Epsilon.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey I forgot about this game.

I think it's important that I say that my call on Ras and Cat was made when I was -1. Those were my best gut calls. Reading what ras has posted since makes my head hurt honestly so I'm guessing he's town now.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Keystone is a pretty good beer, I wouldn't mind an XL one right now.

Chic Trombone posted:

I feel like it's weird that more people haven't unvoted Proctor since it came out that it's their first mafia game

I haven't played either of them, actually

Would vote these two for white noise when there's stuff happening.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Somber is clutching at straws with most of the bandwagon votes. I only feel Proctor, who has the newbie shield, has definitely shown scum signs in regards to the bandwagon. Exakt has possible minor scum signs because I think their bandwagon vote was late and beyond the heat of the moment.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Amoeba102 posted:

Somber is clutching at straws with most of the bandwagon votes. I only feel Proctor, who has the newbie shield, has definitely shown scum signs in regards to the bandwagon. Exakt has possible minor scum signs because I think their bandwagon vote was late and beyond the heat of the moment.

Can I ask you to expand on that? I was seriously -1 to lynch there and wanted to say anything meaningful before going out. I'm not sure I get what you're saying since you say I'm clutching at straws but you also agree that Cat was scummy there.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I wasn't really counting at the time, but poo poo I can't believe you clowns nearly turbo'd.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Can I ask you to expand on that? I was seriously -1 to lynch there and wanted to say anything meaningful before going out. I'm not sure I get what you're saying since you say I'm clutching at straws but you also agree that Cat was scummy there.

Clutching at straws with Ras, I should have been more clear.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Amoeba102 posted:

Clutching at straws with Ras, I should have been more clear.

Okay well yeah, I agree. I generally overworry on Ras because he's good at mafia.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Did the deadline change or am I just crazy?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, I didn't preview reply so it's a null point since you've clarified it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
YPM has a decent point when it comes to Epsilon but I really don't feel like arguing with Epsilon. I'm much more inclined to vote Trombone, he's been posting very conversationally without much of a point when there was a lot of action going on in that time frame.

##vote Chic Trombone

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

Did the deadline change or am I just crazy?

You see the bottom half of engineer Richard Dashut sticking out from under a mixing console that's gone on the fritz and ask. He checks his watch. "Nope, you're probably crazy," he replies, chuckling.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Well we're at about a day to go, time to get our poo poo together. I don't even remember when the original deadline was.

Hal, are you scum. You're not posting much and I'm worried.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Your Personal Muse posted:

I wish to murder this man/woman for this post. I do not like it and my bloodthirsty nature is rising up in me. This post smells of a scum who didn't have anything to say so they made a sly joke that implies they are town. Let us murder Epsilon and put his head on a stick, and then murder Proctor and put his head on a stick and then they can be stick buddies.

While I do enjoy having my head on a stick, :rolleyes:

Yesterday was a bad personal day, today is work, some of you are so incredibly humorleaa day 1

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

I don't even remember when the original deadline was.

I think I may have forgotten to post it outside of the OP. Sorry. Day one ends in one day, two hours and seventeen minutes from now. That's 7:30 PM Central Standard Time (GMT -6), Tuesday.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nope, I totally posted it in the thread.

Exonerateeeeeeeeeed

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Amoeba is scum and here is why.

Amoeba102 posted:

How do you know he's not scum?

In context this seems like a pretty good 'catch' but I didn't react because

1) Somber had gotten to -1 previous to this and everyone should have a read on him. If Epsilon knows that he himself is town and thought Somber's claim/play is townie, the post makes sense, and Amoeba definitely can think/reason this way.

2) I wanted to see whether Amoeba would follow up on the post.

Amoeba102 posted:

The immediate next post Amoeba has amnesia about suspecting that Epsilon is scum because Epsilon said Somber is town. In fact he slightly accuses Somber of being scum even though according to the previously quoted post this position should be 100% incompatible with what he said before. Additionally, he now thinks Exakt and Proctor are scum.

This feels more like Scum emulating what they think town would do when they're scumhunting, rather than a townie following up on reads and being internally consistent. So far Amoeba has 'suspected' 4 people, and agreed with me when I said I thought EXAKT was being scummy, but later came up with more ~reasons~ to affirm this suspicion and yet

Amoeba102 posted:

Well we're at about a day to go, time to get our poo poo together. I don't even remember when the original deadline was.

Hal, are you scum. You're not posting much and I'm worried.

He starts suspecting the 5th, and Hal hasn't been much of a presence in many games recently and then Amoeba goes for the town leader/why are we apathetic vibe. This last particular post is 100% motivated by blending in rather than acting upon his suspicions like any townie would.

##vote Amoeba102

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Isn't this hypocritical when he's specifically mentioned wanting to talk more with you and you are both one of the guys starting the turbo and one of his detractors? I think you're making him look worse than he actually is by misrepresenting what he is actually doing.

I may or may not have exaggerated how scummy I thought Proctor Cat was to kickstart discussion (I don't actually think they are scummy at all and find it confusing when people seemingly agree with something that I was pretending I saw).

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Epsilon Plus posted:

While I do enjoy having my head on a stick, :rolleyes:

Yesterday was a bad personal day, today is work, some of you are so incredibly humorleaa day 1

Only scum use the rolleyes emote, it's a proven scientific fact.

Also what does humorleaa mean I don't think its a word. I assume you mean humorless, to which I respond that I identified it correctly as a "sly joke", but it seems like scum try to slip in little things that make them sound town, up to but certainly not limited to constructing a joke that makes it seem like it is from a town's perspective.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ernie. posted:

Amoeba is scum and here is why.

In context this seems like a pretty good 'catch' but I didn't react because

1) Somber had gotten to -1 previous to this and everyone should have a read on him. If Epsilon knows that he himself is town and thought Somber's claim/play is townie, the post makes sense, and Amoeba definitely can think/reason this way.

2) I wanted to see whether Amoeba would follow up on the post.

The immediate next post Amoeba has amnesia about suspecting that Epsilon is scum because Epsilon said Somber is town. In fact he slightly accuses Somber of being scum even though according to the previously quoted post this position should be 100% incompatible with what he said before. Additionally, he now thinks Exakt and Proctor are scum.

This feels more like Scum emulating what they think town would do when they're scumhunting, rather than a townie following up on reads and being internally consistent. So far Amoeba has 'suspected' 4 people, and agreed with me when I said I thought EXAKT was being scummy, but later came up with more ~reasons~ to affirm this suspicion and yet

He starts suspecting the 5th, and Hal hasn't been much of a presence in many games recently and then Amoeba goes for the town leader/why are we apathetic vibe. This last particular post is 100% motivated by blending in rather than acting upon his suspicions like any townie would.

##vote Amoeba102

1) What? I don't know what you're saying here. Epsilon just came out and said Somber was town, it was just a very uncritical post by Epsilon.
2) Sorry for not following it up.

That's not an accusation of Somber, and even if it was it wouldn't be incompatible with Epsilon being scum because bussing is a thing.

As for Hal, I only joined the game to play with Hal and he's not even here. I haven't played for over a year, how would I know he hasn't had much of a presence in recent games?

I can barely follow what it is you're trying to say man, sorry.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Your Personal Muse posted:

Fiery, I would like to know your thoughts on Epsilon.

I agree that post was bad. EP seems certain that Somber is town, which he can't know if he is town too.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

1) What? I don't know what you're saying here. Epsilon just came out and said Somber was town, it was just a very uncritical post by Epsilon.
2) Sorry for not following it up.

That's not an accusation of Somber, and even if it was it wouldn't be incompatible with Epsilon being scum because bussing is a thing.

As for Hal, I only joined the game to play with Hal and he's not even here. I haven't played for over a year, how would I know he hasn't had much of a presence in recent games?

I can barely follow what it is you're trying to say man, sorry.

Well to be honest, this is my first game in several months myself! I only haven't posted much because I just got home from work like five minutes ago!

I also have to go catch a plane to boring old Albuquerque in like an hour, but once I get there I will be luxurating in a hotel and will have plenty of time to post.

I don't really think Amoeba is scum at all, his response makes perfect sense, especially given that Ernie's case was like a random jumble of thoughts and not all that coherent.

I'm still ok with my vote on Somber, I don't see at all how claiming VT in an open setup game is ANY sort of alignment indication, and his cases have all seemed rather weak "this guy didn't directly comment on what was happening" that he's tossed out, along with a few gut reads that he immediately backed away from. He's trying to appear like an aggressive townie when in fact he's just zoning in on low hanging fruit.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ernie. posted:

I may or may not have exaggerated how scummy I thought Proctor Cat was to kickstart discussion (I don't actually think they are scummy at all and find it confusing when people seemingly agree with something that I was pretending I saw).

But... you DID see him doing what you accused him of being scummy for. How is it confusing when someone is like, yep, Proctor was indeed going after easy targets without making real cases?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I think that was by far my most coherent case ever. :colbert:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That is a pretty excellent case Ernie. I'd give it four stars out of five. I think it is a case that has only ever been rivaled by cases written by the 2014 Mafia Champion, Merk.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ernie. posted:

I think that was by far my most coherent case ever. :colbert:

Isn't it based on the (false) assumption that a scum would never claim another scum was town? I mean, that is what I am parsing from that inane babble you posted. Also who or what is "the 5th?"

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hal Incandenza posted:

Isn't it based on the (false) assumption that a scum would never claim another scum was town? I mean, that is what I am parsing from that inane babble you posted. Also who or what is "the 5th?"

Oh wait, I'M the 5th! I get it now.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Hal Incandenza posted:

It's based on the assumptions that:

1) A town player who thinks another player is scum based on them 'assuming' someone is town, should by extension assume the third player is town.

2) A town player who thinks someone is scum will continue to think they are scum in the absence of more information.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Alternative to 1) A scum player could call their scumbro town; so no extension should be made.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I agree with Ras here. I think it is Somber who is being disingenuous in his reaction to Rascyc's point on the number of posts. When you're saying someone is standing out from the rest, then post volume definitely matters. Especially if you're making a call like that when they have so few posts.

People who say "disingenuous" in mafia are usually scum. This may be the most solid case made in this thread so far.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Alternative to 1) A scum player could call their scumbro town; so no extension should be made.

Believing that

1. Player A is scum because they 'knew' Player B is town

is incompatible with

2. Player B is scum with Player A

In this case the only conclusion that can be drawn is that you wanted to call Player A scum regardless of the reasons you had on them!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Or I didn't say I thought Epsilon knew Somber was town, only that he was quick to state Somber was town.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I guess I'm still waiting for a response from Epsilon.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I'm just glad we all hate Epsilon

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hal Incandenza posted:

People who say "disingenuous" in mafia are usually scum. This may be the most solid case made in this thread so far.

Somberbrero posted:

Okay you are being super disingenuous. Why would the quantity of posts matter?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

YPM has a decent point when it comes to Epsilon but I really don't feel like arguing with Epsilon. I'm much more inclined to vote Trombone, he's been posting very conversationally without much of a point when there was a lot of action going on in that time frame.

##vote Chic Trombone

She, thanks.

Amoeba102 posted:

Or I didn't say I thought Epsilon knew Somber was town, only that he was quick to state Somber was town.

Amoeba102 posted:

How do you know he's not scum?

This looks more like you thought Epsilon knew about Somber being town rather than you calling out a quickdraw read, man

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I'm not sure what you want from me? The statement was a joke. If you're dying for ~sikknasty reads~ from me it's going to have to wait until I'm off work.

~~~~~~~t0wnlyf3~~~~~~~

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If I thought Epsilon made a scum slip, why wouldn't I have jumped on it? It's meant to be a prod, but Epsilon's invisibility kind of blunts it

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Your response seems overly tildy. It doesn't seem natural unless you're yuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ xX rly? Xx ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(back to work, post later, I have no hard reads on Somber because he is very quiet so far this game)

• Locked thread