Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Got my router and modem in. Both hooked up and all is well. Only question I have is if I should actually use the dual band or not. I live on 3 acres and don't have any neighbors near me. Should I leave it alone or go ahead and just turn off the 5ghz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

Got my router and modem in. Both hooked up and all is well. Only question I have is if I should actually use the dual band or not. I live on 3 acres and don't have any neighbors near me. Should I leave it alone or go ahead and just turn off the 5ghz?
5GHz will give you faster speeds but can't travel as far as 2.4GHz. If you get a good 5GHz signal, use it. Though if your ISP isn't more than 25Mbps or so, you probably won't see any benefit from 5GHz unless you're transferring data wirelessly within your network.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

What router do you suggest? I just bought a POS Netgear (WNR3500Lv2) and am sorely disappointed by it. Its fine with one wireless device, and goes to hell with 3, so badly that I may as well not try using the internet. Thankfully it will be easy to return this pile.

I am considering a RT-N66U.

I absolutely LOVE my RT-N66U, it's one of the most stable routers I've owned ever, period. I am almost wishing I had spent the extra on a AC66U for 802.11AC as I feel this will be the last router I get for a long time.

I've not even bothered with third party firmwares, the stock is stable as hell, and has all the functionality I need (usable dual band, and IPv6 were my big ones).

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Thanks for the link! That C7 may fit the ticket for my router woes.

37th Chamber posted:

I absolutely LOVE my RT-N66U, it's one of the most stable routers I've owned ever, period. I am almost wishing I had spent the extra on a AC66U for 802.11AC as I feel this will be the last router I get for a long time.

I've not even bothered with third party firmwares, the stock is stable as hell, and has all the functionality I need (usable dual band, and IPv6 were my big ones).
Great to hear. Reviews of it seem really solid too. I think I'm going to try out a cheaper TPLink C7 and move up to the Asus if thru C7 doesn't support my wireless needs.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 13, 2014

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

SiGmA_X posted:

What router do you suggest? I just bought a POS Netgear (WNR3500Lv2) and am sorely disappointed by it. Its fine with one wireless device, and goes to hell with 3, so badly that I may as well not try using the internet. Thankfully it will be easy to return this pile.

I am considering a RT-N66U.

I've only had mine for two days, but thus far it's the best router I've ever owned. Hopefully it holds up over time.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

5GHz will give you faster speeds but can't travel as far as 2.4GHz. If you get a good 5GHz signal, use it. Though if your ISP isn't more than 25Mbps or so, you probably won't see any benefit from 5GHz unless you're transferring data wirelessly within your network.

So is it ok to have them both on? Will my devices be able to swap between the frequencies without trouble or is it best to pick one and turn off of the other?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

rotaryfun posted:

So is it ok to have them both on? Will my devices be able to swap between the frequencies without trouble or is it best to pick one and turn off of the other?

It is best to have them both on but with different SSIDs.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

UndyingShadow posted:

It is best to have them both on but with different SSIDs.

That depends on what you're trying to do. Different SSIDs means you will have to manually switch between them when you roam outside the range of the 5g radio. Same SSID means that you might be stuck on 2g when you're sitting right next to the router because it's broadcasting with more power.

I really need to get unlazy and finish the infobomb I started

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

That depends on what you're trying to do. Different SSIDs means you will have to manually switch between them when you roam outside the range of the 5g radio. Same SSID means that you might be stuck on 2g when you're sitting right next to the router because it's broadcasting with more power.

So what's your suggestion?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

For everyone picking up the TP-Link Archer C7 make sure all your equipment works properly with it. I had a version 1 C7 about a year ago and the Qualcomm chipset had some major issues.

I posted a copy of the review I wrote about it below. Supposedly the v2 version of the C7 fixed the major issues, and also allows 3rd party firmware support, but the chipset is still Qualcomm based. I would really suggest making sure all your devices work properly with the router during the return period. I personally favor Broadcom chipsets in wifi routers now. If you do get a V1 return that poo poo ASAP.

quote:

I really wanted to like this router, but unfortunately I ended up returning it.

I bought this router so I could move everything in my house to the 5Ghz network and get off the congested 2.4Ghz band. I have a lot of Apple devices in my house. 4 iPads, 3 iPhones, a couple of MacBooks and my work laptop. None of them would connect on the 5Ghz network to this router.

The Good: 2.4Ghz performance was really good in my environment. No issues with it at all. Wired connections were fast.

The Bad: There's a pretty well documented issue with this router and Broadcom wireless chipsets. They just do not connect on the 5Ghz network with WPA2-AES turned on. Unfortunately almost everything Apple makes uses a Broadcom chip and my Dell Latitude notebook with an Intel 6200AGN card would not connect as well. I contacted TP-Link and got a beta firmware which did not fix the issue. I spent, in my opinion way too much time messing with drivers and flashing firmware to justify not buying something else. At that point I boxed it up and sent it back.

I really hope TP-Link sorts out the issues. It's a nice looking router with good hardware at a really good price. I even explored 3rd party firmware for it, but due to the QCA9880v1 chip, it's unlikely to ever have well supported 3rd party firmware. There is an Open-WRT build, but the AC part of the wireless doesn't work as the driver for this particular chip is not included in the ath9k or ath10k linux driver.

I just can't recommend someone go out and spend 100 dollars of their hard earned money on this right now. If AC is not important to you, get a highly rated N900 router. If AC is important spend a little more for a better experience. Personally with as many Apple devices I have I'm just going to get an Airport Extreme and call it a day.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

rotaryfun posted:

If you have stuff on your wireless network that doesn't work so great on 2ghz or 5ghz then sure split your SSIDs. If you're trying to walk around and have "wifi for clueless people" then just put them on the same SSID. If you like to micromanage, split them and then turn off the DHCP server so that all your guests who visit have to ask you for an IP... because you're that kind of network admin.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

If you like to micromanage, split them and then turn off the DHCP server so that all your guests who visit have to ask you for an IP... because you're that kind of network admin.

Haha oh lord no. I'll just leave it split so I can swap to 2.4 in bed and what not. That's fine with me. People can connect to whatever they want.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

CrazyLittle posted:

Most devices are lazy and will latch onto the first AP/Band they see, which will invariably by 2.4ghz due to much better signal penetration through exterior walls. I have yet to find a device (outside of a laptop) that would properly switch to 5ghz when it was clearly higher bandwidth. I made sure I had plenty of 5ghz coverage and just kept the 2.4ghz network on for older devices that don't support dual band.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
What I do is have 2.4GHz and 5GHz on separate non-broadcasted SSIDs, and then a 2.4GHz guest network SSID that is broadcast for if someone visiting needs to use it.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

rotaryfun posted:

I suggest separate SSIDs, depending on your devices. For example, if they're both on the same SSID, Apple computers and devices will tend to prefer the 2.4GHz network even if the 5GHz network is in range, due to the 2.4GHz network having a better SNR.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

That's where I'm at right now. Everything seems pretty happy. I have two ssid's home and home_5ghz, people can just pick one when they come over. I live in the woods and am about a quarter mile from anyone on either side so I don't have any security on the router. And of the people that I live around it's family. So I'm not worried about anything.

Thanks everyone for the help and tips! I really appreciate it and am already happy with the new setup. Noticeable difference even.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I have a RB750 connected to a Netgear DSL modem, the RB750 handles the PPPoE connection for AT&T. Yes, I hate it.

But, I have this problem with Amazon where half the time the page will not load. I do not notice this ANYWHERE else, but Amazon. I've tried turning off IPv6 with no improvement, I've tried loving around with MTU, no improvement. I'm using Google's DSL settings.

What else should I try to get Amazon to load correctly?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm assuming you mean Google's DNS settings?

Are you running an ad-blocker? Have you tried alternative browsers? Does the same thing happen to multiple PCs / devices?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm assuming you mean Google's DNS settings?

Are you running an ad-blocker? Have you tried alternative browsers? Does the same thing happen to multiple PCs / devices?

Yes to DNS. Yes to Ad-blocker, but it also happens with Chrome on my tablet and phone. Wife has had the same problem on her laptop.

It doesn't happen as often when I shut down everything else happening on the network (IE, I have more page stalls/fails to load at high network load). This makes me think it is a dropped packet kind of issue and not a software issue.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to set up a Mikrotik 750GL to get multiple IPs on a single port? I get multiple external IPs from my ISP. Currently, I have it set up with Modem -> Switch -> 2 Routers. The modem is a Cisco DPC-3010, and I have an Asus RT-N66U and a TP Link WDR3400 dividing my network. I'd like to continue to utilize the multiple IPs, but I was hoping to combine the devices to one internal network so I can share things easier among all my devices. I'm hoping this is something I can do with a Mikrotik, or maybe some other router if it's not possible with the 750GL.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
I don't know if this goes in here or the Windows thread but let's try this:

I have two pools of users. Let's call them snowflakes and cattle. I have about 100 snowflakes and a 1000+ cattle.
All users are required to authenticate with two factor authentication.
Cows are to be tied to a specific IP address (where they are supposed to be working from.)
Snowflakes are special and are allowed to connect from anywhere in the world they can establish an HTTPS tunnel from.

The application architecture is simple Windows RDP through Remote Desktop Gateway on Windows 2012. Is there a way I can do this without establishing a special VPN? I don't own the cattle or snowflake machines and installing client software is out of the question.

The only way I can think of this is to remove the cattle from the RDGateway and make them have a VPN per user that ties their account to their IP fingerprint. Thoughts?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mthrboard posted:

Is it possible to set up a Mikrotik 750GL to get multiple IPs on a single port? I get multiple external IPs from my ISP. Currently, I have it set up with Modem -> Switch -> 2 Routers. The modem is a Cisco DPC-3010, and I have an Asus RT-N66U and a TP Link WDR3400 dividing my network. I'd like to continue to utilize the multiple IPs, but I was hoping to combine the devices to one internal network so I can share things easier among all my devices. I'm hoping this is something I can do with a Mikrotik, or maybe some other router if it's not possible with the 750GL.

I don't have firsthand experience with Mikrotik, but you're looking to setup subinterfaces, and I would be pretty surprised if they weren't supported.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

KennyG posted:

I don't know if this goes in here or the Windows thread but let's try this:

I have two pools of users. Let's call them snowflakes and cattle. I have about 100 snowflakes and a 1000+ cattle.
All users are required to authenticate with two factor authentication.
Cows are to be tied to a specific IP address (where they are supposed to be working from.)
Snowflakes are special and are allowed to connect from anywhere in the world they can establish an HTTPS tunnel from.

The application architecture is simple Windows RDP through Remote Desktop Gateway on Windows 2012. Is there a way I can do this without establishing a special VPN? I don't own the cattle or snowflake machines and installing client software is out of the question.

The only way I can think of this is to remove the cattle from the RDGateway and make them have a VPN per user that ties their account to their IP fingerprint. Thoughts?
This would probably be better in the enterprise windows thread but....you could do something with RADIUS that looked at both source IP and user, but it'd be a relative nightmare to administer with that many cattle. Also residential IP's can and will change somewhat frequently, so if your cattle are working from home you're going to be spending a decent amount of time changing that crap, and it's not even that great from a security perspective since it'd let anyone on their network connect to you.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I just scrapped the lovely router/modem combo from my ISP in favour of a real modem and an RT-AC66U, and now I can't VNC to my HTPC. I literally do not own a keyboard that isn't part of a laptop, I've been VNCing this thing for over a year.
I can still see the computer in Explorer and access shared files on it, hell I can stream games off it with Steam (of course, the built-in Windows Remote Desktop requires a password that I've forgotten). And I know the VNC server is running on the box, but it doesn't respond to connection attempts at all. They just time out. I know I'm using the right IP address as well, and I've tried manually assigning it a different one.
Is there some setting I'm missing here? I thought I was pretty good at computers what is happen :ohdear:

(both boxes are running 7pro, laptop is wifi and the HTPC is cat5'd)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tommychu posted:

So I just scrapped the lovely router/modem combo from my ISP in favour of a real modem and an RT-AC66U, and now I can't VNC to my HTPC. I literally do not own a keyboard that isn't part of a laptop, I've been VNCing this thing for over a year.
I can still see the computer in Explorer and access shared files on it, hell I can stream games off it with Steam (of course, the built-in Windows Remote Desktop requires a password that I've forgotten). And I know the VNC server is running on the box, but it doesn't respond to connection attempts at all. They just time out. I know I'm using the right IP address as well, and I've tried manually assigning it a different one.
Is there some setting I'm missing here? I thought I was pretty good at computers what is happen :ohdear:

(both boxes are running 7pro, laptop is wifi and the HTPC is cat5'd)

The HTPC probably decided that it's on an unknown public network and turned the firewall on for VNC ports. See if you can set it back to home or work in the network control panel.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Rexxed posted:

The HTPC probably decided that it's on an unknown public network and turned the firewall on for VNC ports. See if you can set it back to home or work in the network control panel.

Yep, that was exactly it.Thanks :)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Mthrboard posted:

Sure!

/ip addresses add address=x.x.x.1/29 interface=ether1-gateway

Ta-da, you've added a new address to the ether1-gateway interface. Want to add another?

/ip addresses add address=x.x.x.2/29 interface=ether1-gateway
/ip addresses add address=x.x.x.3/29 interface=ether1-gateway

(those are examples, you'd fill in whatever IP and CIDR mask for the range)

You get the picture. In Winbox you just click into IP -> Addresses and then add them in. Once the addresses are in place, make sure you have an appropriate route in IP -> Routes and that should take care of that side. If you are NAT-ing through the addresses then be sure and write a NAT rule in IP -> Firewall -> NAT.

For your specific example up above, how are you getting these IP addresses? Are you being given a block of IP's through PPPoE or just assigned a static block of addresses? You may just need to assign one of the IP's in the range to your router and then assign the rest to your other two routers and use the MikroTik as their gateway IP. It'll have its own gateway IP and route the packets merrily along to the upstream provider.

Fun!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Okay new stupid question. I put an Intel AC7260 into my Lenovo T500 and disabled the BIOS Wifi card whitelist, and while it is working in 802.11N on 5GHz I can't get it to use AC. I've installed all the relevant Intel drivers and SW and set the router correctly for AC as far as I can tell, but it's still showing up as a 300mbps connection. Is there anything I can gently caress with to make that work?
k I'm an idiot, just double-checked and the router was set to 'N-only'. Fixed it, everything is great.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 19, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You can add IPs to interfaces on Mikrotik stuff using CIDR notation? That's cool.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

You can add IPs to interfaces on Mikrotik stuff using CIDR notation? That's cool.

Yeah, it's much much nicer than digging out the old cheat sheet for subnet masks.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

CuddleChunks posted:

Sure!

/ip addresses add address=x.x.x.1/29 interface=ether1-gateway

Ta-da, you've added a new address to the ether1-gateway interface. Want to add another?

/ip addresses add address=x.x.x.2/29 interface=ether1-gateway
/ip addresses add address=x.x.x.3/29 interface=ether1-gateway

(those are examples, you'd fill in whatever IP and CIDR mask for the range)

You get the picture. In Winbox you just click into IP -> Addresses and then add them in. Once the addresses are in place, make sure you have an appropriate route in IP -> Routes and that should take care of that side. If you are NAT-ing through the addresses then be sure and write a NAT rule in IP -> Firewall -> NAT.

For your specific example up above, how are you getting these IP addresses? Are you being given a block of IP's through PPPoE or just assigned a static block of addresses? You may just need to assign one of the IP's in the range to your router and then assign the rest to your other two routers and use the MikroTik as their gateway IP. It'll have its own gateway IP and route the packets merrily along to the upstream provider.

Fun!

Thanks for the advice, but I forgot one tiny major detail about my setup. I don't get static IPs, they're all assigned via DHCP. I'm guessing this might complicate things a bit. I did a bit of Googling and thought maybe I could set up a few VLANs and bridges (bridges so I can change the MAC). I set up a pair of them, then added DHCP clients for both bridges, but only the first one got an IP. Is it possible to do this with DHCP assigned IP addresses?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mthrboard posted:

Thanks for the advice, but I forgot one tiny major detail about my setup. I don't get static IPs, they're all assigned via DHCP. I'm guessing this might complicate things a bit. I did a bit of Googling and thought maybe I could set up a few VLANs and bridges (bridges so I can change the MAC). I set up a pair of them, then added DHCP clients for both bridges, but only the first one got an IP. Is it possible to do this with DHCP assigned IP addresses?

What are you hoping to accomplish in the end here?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Quick question about shibby tomato: anyone here tried installing it on R7000? I flashed it and updated everything but I don't know how to enable AC wireless and change the default ip address :smith: Anyhelp appreciated

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hoping someone can give me some advice on adding WiFi strength around my house. I read the OP on repeaters and did some google searching but I think I'm more confused than when I started.

I have a provider modem/router (Telus Optik which is TV over IP/ADSL) with wifi in the basement, it's wired in down there. Upper floor, opposite corner of house I have fairly poor Wifi reception. At this corner I have an RJ45 jack coming out of a TV set top box, and get 100mbit speeds from it. I figure I need something that I can hook to this port to boost wifi strength up here. Can 2 different devices operate on the same SSID to broadcast a wireless signal ? I need everything to see each other on my network as I have a plex server, a nas, and several android xbmc boxes around the house,

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I need to get a new cable modem (docsis 3.0); this was my old one are there better alternatives now?

I want to say that modem was recommended by this thread once upon a time (could be wrong, I bought it probably 5 years ago); am I seeing any benefit out of one that expensive? For the sake of argument lets say tapped out this would be 2 instances of Netflix streaming + bittorent.

E.g. what benefit would the above have over something considerably cheaper, like this Blurex DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem or ARRIS SB6121?

2nd edit: Actually this Zoom 5341j is looking pretty good to, for $$$/value.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 22, 2014

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Mr. Crow posted:

I need to get a new cable modem (docsis 3.0); this was my old one are there better alternatives now?

I want to say that modem was recommended by this thread once upon a time (could be wrong, I bought it probably 5 years ago); am I seeing any benefit out of one that expensive? For the sake of argument lets say tapped out this would be 2 instances of Netflix streaming + bittorent.

E.g. what benefit would the above have over something considerably cheaper, like this Blurex DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem or ARRIS SB6121?

2nd edit: Actually this Zoom 5341j is looking pretty good to, for $$$/value.

Everyone seems to love the 6120/6121's successor the 6141 (http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS/dp/B00AJHDZSI/)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

With good reason, it's small, works with most cable services, is less than $100 ($88 Amazon price) and it runs fast and is future-proof up to 340 Mbps.

I own one and it's already paid for itself in terms of rental fees I'm not paying to the cable company. Whatever outages I've experienced have always been related to the service, not the modem itself. When Time Warner gave many of its customers a free speed upgrade, the 6141 automagically got the bump with no fuss, no muss. If your router is gigabit capable, and you have a proper gigabit cable, it will connect at gigabit speed.

The only possible critique I have is that it runs a little warm but that's it.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 22, 2014

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

jonathan posted:

I have a provider modem/router (Telus Optik which is TV over IP/ADSL) with wifi in the basement, it's wired in down there. Upper floor, opposite corner of house I have fairly poor Wifi reception. At this corner I have an RJ45 jack coming out of a TV set top box, and get 100mbit speeds from it. I figure I need something that I can hook to this port to boost wifi strength up here. Can 2 different devices operate on the same SSID to broadcast a wireless signal ? I need everything to see each other on my network as I have a plex server, a nas, and several android xbmc boxes around the house,

Get a new wireless router and then do the following:
- log into your existing router and write down the SSID (wireless network name) and the security key. You need exact spelling and punctuation for this. Make note of what channel it's currently broadcasting on. Write down what IP address your existing router uses and what range the DHCP works over (192.168.1.2-100 or 192.168.1.100 - 254 something like that)
- plug an ethernet cable into your new router and then into a computer to program it. do not hook it into the network yet
- Program your new router as follows:
== WAN/Internet: doesn't matter
== Uncheck the DHCP server. You want it disabled.
== LAN IP: 192.168.1.2 (assuming your original router has a DHCP range that doesn't include .2 If it does, put this router at .254)
== SSID: same as your original router
== WPA key: same as your original router
== Channel: must be different. Preferably turn on "auto" channel.
- Plug the cable from the wall into one of the LAN ports of the router.
- Take a piece of tape and put it over the Internet/WAN port so you don't ever use it.

Your computer should now connect up to the network it already knows about (same as your downstairs one) but with a ton more signal.

You have turned your fancy new wireless router into a wireless bridge. Networking and DHCP will come from the main router in your house so you'll be on the same network but whenever you move downstairs and get good signal again you should automatically hop on over to the stronger signal. This can get weird if the signal is nearly equal - in those spots you may thrash between the two sites but hopefully that won't happen much.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CuddleChunks posted:

Get a new wireless router and then do the following:
- log into your existing router and write down the SSID (wireless network name) and the security key. You need exact spelling and punctuation for this. Make note of what channel it's currently broadcasting on. Write down what IP address your existing router uses and what range the DHCP works over (192.168.1.2-100 or 192.168.1.100 - 254 something like that)
- plug an ethernet cable into your new router and then into a computer to program it. do not hook it into the network yet
- Program your new router as follows:
== WAN/Internet: doesn't matter
== Uncheck the DHCP server. You want it disabled.
== LAN IP: 192.168.1.2 (assuming your original router has a DHCP range that doesn't include .2 If it does, put this router at .254)
== SSID: same as your original router
== WPA key: same as your original router
== Channel: must be different. Preferably turn on "auto" channel.
- Plug the cable from the wall into one of the LAN ports of the router.
- Take a piece of tape and put it over the Internet/WAN port so you don't ever use it.

Your computer should now connect up to the network it already knows about (same as your downstairs one) but with a ton more signal.

You have turned your fancy new wireless router into a wireless bridge. Networking and DHCP will come from the main router in your house so you'll be on the same network but whenever you move downstairs and get good signal again you should automatically hop on over to the stronger signal. This can get weird if the signal is nearly equal - in those spots you may thrash between the two sites but hopefully that won't happen much.

Thanks a ton. I'm glad I asked in here because this answer makes the most sense to me yet I didn't find anything similar from google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

So, quick question now that I have my wireless network set up. Are moderate ping spikes somewhat normal? Wireless isn't perfect after all. Basically, in the course of running a few hundred pings to my router over my wifi connection, the majority is <1ms, but out of 300 pings I'll get maybe 6 or so that are 100-200ms. I do a lot of gaming so ping is a concern, but I don't want to tear my hair out over this if it's just unavoidable to some extent.