Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

EvilTaytoMan posted:

For a second there I thought it was one of the princesses in disguise.

It IS Yuri in disguise, right? I assumed that was how she's sneaking into the train as a ranker. The Idol's name is even Yura Ha. Seems pretty obvious to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
I wonder when we're ever going to see the month weapons again

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
mangacow is updating ToG weekly again

http://mngacow.com/Tower-of-God/198/?all

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I've always felt that Tower of God is sort of like the One Piece of Korean webtoons. Not in plot or anything since they're radically different in that regard, but just in the world's scope and how big the adventure gets. Does anyone else get this kind of feeling?

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

pandaK posted:

I've always felt that Tower of God is sort of like the One Piece of Korean webtoons. Not in plot or anything since they're radically different in that regard, but just in the world's scope and how big the adventure gets. Does anyone else get this kind of feeling?

Yes. The only other big story I'm familiar with is Hunter x Hunter and even with that one's development in the newest arc I still think ToG trumps it. SIU's done a pretty good job of making the tower look loving gigantic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Admoon posted:

Yes. The only other big story I'm familiar with is Hunter x Hunter and even with that one's development in the newest arc I still think ToG trumps it. SIU's done a pretty good job of making the tower look loving gigantic.

IIRC no one actually knows how far the Tower goes. The "top" is just the furthest up Zahard & co got, after which point the Guardians get really hostile to progress.

Also it's got way more mystery than One Piece, which is clearly A Big Adventure that happens to crash through the structure of the world on its way. ToG starts you off questioning what the gently caress is up with the universe here, why is there some kid living alone in a pit?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shugojin posted:

IIRC no one actually knows how far the Tower goes. The "top" is just the furthest up Zahard & co got, after which point the Guardians get really hostile to progress.

Also it's got way more mystery than One Piece, which is clearly A Big Adventure that happens to crash through the structure of the world on its way. ToG starts you off questioning what the gently caress is up with the universe here, why is there some kid living alone in a pit?

Oh yeah definitely. I was just making that reference since both Tower of God and One Piece keep all of their locales relevant and feel connected. We're still getting updates on things that happened in the very first major arc and how those characters may still be relevant whereas One Piece keeps everything connected through its one page side stories and its cyclical nature. I don't feel like HxH really does this, once it finishes with an arc it's pretty much done with it.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The social and political aspects are kinda similiar too, where our protagonists are outsiders, Baam being an irregular and Luffy being a pirate, who inherently represent a threat or risk to the established order; the Zahard ruling class and the World Government respectively. So it sets up some really fun dynamics that a lot of stories never bother touching on, and avoids the much more common good vs evil paradigm you find in most shounen stuff. It also helps that tower regulars and rankers share a lot of similarities to Oda's pirates, both of whom chose such a path to pursue their personal goals and dreams.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
ToG has always felt like an MMO game to me. You complete your challenge then move on to the next level. Lots of powerful people contending in a giant world to reach the top. Crazy items everywhere. No shortage of villains.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Freaksaus posted:

I thought it was Koon in disguise at first

I'm fairly confident that this is exactly what it is and the name was a bait and switch by the author. Fits with his habit of taking a serious moment and reducing the tension with comedy just before escalating things again. The style of speech was too much of a fit, among other subtle things that already have me laughing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Panzerschwein posted:

ToG has always felt like an MMO game to me. You complete your challenge then move on to the next level. Lots of powerful people contending in a giant world to reach the top. Crazy items everywhere. No shortage of villains.

No that's The Gamer

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
The whole position system is very MMO-like. The Tower is like an MMO in which the top players stopped levelling and set up a government based on their levels and loot.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Freaksaus posted:

I thought it was Koon in disguise at first

I thought it was Rachel, just because she was calling everyone idiots

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
S2 Ch120: http://www.webtoons.com/viewer?titleNo=95&episodeNo=200

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
drat, we're already kicking it up.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

MAN

GATOR

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Did Rak slim down a bit

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I asked this in the manhwa thread and didn't get any response, but is print serialization pretty much dead in Korea? All the manhwa I've ever seen have been webcomics

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
http://www.webtoons.com/viewer?titleNo=95&episodeNo=202

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
http://www.webtoons.com/viewer?titleNo=95&episodeNo=204

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I've been noticing this for a while now, but since when have swords started becoming a thing again? None of the named characters use them anymore, but there are a few people in crowded fight scenes that are swinging them around. Is the Shin'soo density just not as strong above the Test Room?

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
The density is heavier, so unless the swords themselves are special it should just mean that the guys using them are strong/adept enough to do so.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
There are different classes of swords what we are seeing are the Needle class that aren't hampered by Shin'soo density.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Things are starting to happen.

http://www.webtoons.com/viewer?titleNo=95&episodeNo=205

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I forget that the more powerful regulars have lifespans of hundreds of years.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah there's this weird uncharacterized ability for people to live for... as long as necessary inside the Tower.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I guess breathing shinsoo is good for your telomeres.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Weekly fix of TOG: http://www.webtoons.com/viewer?titleNo=95&episodeNo=206

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Well, these past couple of chapters shows Baam's ultimate weakness.

Mention the name Rachel and he shits himself and loses all composure and reason.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
It's really too bad they put Rak in the back where he can't hear any of this. I think he'd be able to snap him out of it.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.webtoons.com/viewer?titleNo=95&episodeNo=209 Yay, progress(?)

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Yeah, a pretty interesting chapter this week. I wonder if Yura Ha has a living ignition weapon insider her too, with the way her stars show up. Or maybe one inside her suitcase?

It's funny to see that people at this floor are still shocked by 3 baangs being used at once :D , but also weird to see that there are some regulars that are still pretty much useless in combat.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Maybe her bag is like Koon's bag and stores all her fans.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

That was one of the better chapters in a while.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Yura Ha's true secret power is having two right hands.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

final2percent posted:

I saw someone else mention that, but didn't notice it until just now when I went and looked for it, pretty glaring the 2nd time around.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Has anybody else seen an ad for a Tower of God web cartoon?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

final2percent posted:

Huh, I completely missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Is it bad that in a series like ToG I find having two right hands to be the weirdest thing I've seen?