Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
All the whining about unprofessional journalism in the comments seem proto-GG to me.

Well, back to the Akuratsu Alpha 2 wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dismissing a game before it's even out and complaining about a pandering giant robot game pandering and putting in giant robots may or may not be unprofessional, but it is stupid as hell.

Besides, you do know gamergate had to do with Social Justice type stuff, right? Nothing about any of this had to do with SJ-type stuff.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

For those of you who pre-ordered Gundam Breaker 2 on PSN, it seems to be up for preload now. It's up on PS3, at the very least.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Race Realists posted:

All the whining about unprofessional journalism in the comments seem proto-GG to me.

Well, back to the Akuratsu Alpha 2 wiki

If you're into editing the wiki one thing I think that would help out a ton is a translation of the text crawls for each game. They're very difficult for even people with decent Japanese skills to read thanks to the fact that they move and the kanji-salads that make up a lot of the organization names in the universe. Not to mention all the made-up terms (though to be fair most of those are in katakana). Some of the games already have these under the 'story' section and it's super helpful when they do.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

If you're into editing the wiki one thing I think that would help out a ton is a translation of the text crawls for each game.
I don't quite think we really have enough translators for that.

Most of the Akurasu editing is data-based, I believe. Like list of spirit commands, scenario charts, stats etc...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like Dancouga Nova. Never watched the show, probably never will, but it's a cool unit with a cool theme song, so it's okay in my books.

I do agree that it would be nice to see OG Macross or Macross Plus instead of Macross Frontier from time to time.

Much like the original Dancougar, Dancougar Nova is an awful pile of garbage as a series but really good as a throwaway insertion into every given SRW game because you don't really need to do its plot for it to make sense to have around and the pilots have a lot of personality to bounce off the rest of the cast without contributing to unit bloat. I'd be okay with seeing it in basically every SRW from now on because I like the robot and it's just one single unit that doesn't need any plot strings attached.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

God bless the machine

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Getsuya posted:

They're very difficult for even people with decent Japanese skills to read thanks to the fact that they move and the kanji-salads that make up a lot of the organization names in the universe.

Did someone say kanji salads??? Have some authentic Gunbuster and Diebuster terminology.

地球帝国宇宙軍付属沖縄女子宇宙高等学校 - Okinawa Girls' Space Pilot High-School Attached to The Earth Empire Space Navy

恒星宇宙軍有人航宙戦略爆弾 - Interstellar Space Navy Manned Strategic Cosmic Bomb

超光速大型宇宙戦艦 帝国宇宙軍一等軍艦 仮称:111号艦 - Faster-than-Light Capital Space Battleship, Imperial Space Navy 1st-Class Warship, Working Name: Warship #111

現本土決戦用 特別攻撃最終質量兵器 - Final Special Assault Mass Weapon of Last Resort, Current Mainland

多元宇宙内 時空検閲官の部屋 - Polydimensional Space, Space-Time Censor Room

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Okay I'm going to bed. So far I've managed to create a Unit Database page for Alpha 2. I managed to make an attack table for
Altairion.

The real tricky part will be finding attack names for the more lesser known supers like Gaiking and Jeeg

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 16, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Because it was pretty great in Z2, I started watching Getter Robo Armaggedon. I'm really liking it so far. I love that old-school drawn look with all the lines. Also, is it me or Getter-2 always gets the best characters as pilot?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

Did someone say kanji salads??? Have some authentic Gunbuster and Diebuster terminology.

地球帝国宇宙軍付属沖縄女子宇宙高等学校 - Okinawa Girls' Space Pilot High-School Attached to The Earth Empire Space Navy

恒星宇宙軍有人航宙戦略爆弾 - Interstellar Space Navy Manned Strategic Cosmic Bomb

超光速大型宇宙戦艦 帝国宇宙軍一等軍艦 仮称:111号艦 - Faster-than-Light Capital Space Battleship, Imperial Space Navy 1st-Class Warship, Working Name: Warship #111

現本土決戦用 特別攻撃最終質量兵器 - Final Special Assault Mass Weapon of Last Resort, Current Mainland

多元宇宙内 時空検閲官の部屋 - Polydimensional Space, Space-Time Censor Room
As far as I know, the longest one anyone actually says (rather than just being shown on the screen) is Nono's designation, 地球帝国宇宙軍太陽系直掩部隊直属第六世代型恒星間航行決戦兵器 : earth empire space army solar system division sixth generation interstellar...oh gently caress it.

edit: to put this in a cultural perspective, there's a famous kabuki play that is nothing but Ishikawa Goemon and his band of thieves introducing themselves this way, so it's not just an anime or a gainax thing.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 16, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Because it was pretty great in Z2, I started watching Getter Robo Armaggedon. I'm really liking it so far.
Prepare for disappointment past Ep 3.

Until the end where it rolls back to being pretty fun to watch again, although the payoff for all the foreshadowing isn't great.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Incidentally the funny thing about Japanese is that, in most cases, the longer your title is the lower down the command chain you are. See the commander is just 'commander', whereas the peons are down at the end of a huge chain of kanji detailing exactly what specific duty of what specific section they're assigned to.

I especially hate it when Japanese authors get smug about their own kanji salad and refuse to come up with shortened nicknames for anything so they can type it out in all its bombastic glory each time they want to tell you where the main character works. This from the country that not only shortens just about everything ever down to four syllables whenever they can, but even goes so far as to release books and things under the four-syllable nickname for the series rather than the actual official title.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: to put this in a cultural perspective, there's a famous kabuki play that is nothing but Ishikawa Goemon and his band of thieves introducing themselves this way
that sounds amazing

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

that sounds amazing
Unfortunately, though I have seen it in person, I can't remember the title of it. I wish I could find a transcript now.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

As far as I know, the longest one anyone actually says (rather than just being shown on the screen) is Nono's designation, 地球帝国宇宙軍太陽系直掩部隊直属第六世代型恒星間航行決戦兵器 : earth empire space army solar system division sixth generation interstellar...oh gently caress it.

edit: to put this in a cultural perspective, there's a famous kabuki play that is nothing but Ishikawa Goemon and his band of thieves introducing themselves this way, so it's not just an anime or a gainax thing.

Oh man I didn't have that one in my glossary.

地球帝国宇宙軍太陽系直掩部隊直属第六世代型恒星間航行決戦兵器 - Earth Imperial Space Force Sol System Direct Support Squadron, Sixth Generation Interstellar Cruise Weapon of Last Resort

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think Monty Python did a skit like that with some Nazi officers on board a soon to be destroyed large vehicle of some sort, where they spend more time rattling off their "Obersturmbannführer"s and "Unterfeldwebel"s than getting the message across before the thing went down.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...I actually think L looked and sounded better than UX. The sprites weren't as high-resolution but they were proportioned and animated much better, and the music didn't have as big of a sound chip to work off but then that doesn't really matter since good music is good regardless of game generation (see: Silver Surfer or like the entirety of SRW D's soundtrack, that Heats is way more awesome than Z2's weirdly chill version of it). Then again I'm apparently the only person who likes Kitei no Tsurugi.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
SRW music for me climaxed at A's versions of Ai Senshi and Last Impression, as well as Ai Oboeteimasuka from the stage where it plays constantly in Alpha. After hearing those I don't really hold any other SRW music to any real standard because I know it's never going to top those for me.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The vocals at the end of OGs2 just positively blew me away. So did the greater bulk of the music in that game, really.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

Then again I'm apparently the only person who likes Kitei no Tsurugi.
The GBA era was one of the best for SRW tunes which is kind of odd.

Kitei no Tsurugi makes for a decent battle theme especially when ALI Project isn't screeching all over it, but I don't think I would listen to it outside of SRW compared to the other Linebarrels music "Proud"

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Incidentally, why isn't Ai Senshi Amuro's theme in every SRW game? Also the Alpha 2 version of In My Dream is pretty amazing too. Too bad Brain Powered is in practically nothing in this series. I guess it'll be there waiting for me again when I finally get around to playing J someday.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Incidentally, why isn't Ai Senshi Amuro's theme in every SRW game?
It's a OYW theme, and most SRW games don't do OYW nowadays in favor of Zeta or CCA.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Another short Gundam Breaker 2 video with those two comedian guys from the last video I posted. This one seems to be primarily about customization, I don't know enough moonspeak to glean any real details, but it looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKiYuUESaSM

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I got bit by the SRW bug again, so I'm working on my Z3.1 Stats Spreadsheet, if you want anymore Pilot data.

Hell yeah, thanks for this and also everyone who does any translation and compilation of stats and info.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Davzz posted:

The GBA era was one of the best for SRW tunes which is kind of odd.

Kitei no Tsurugi makes for a decent battle theme especially when ALI Project isn't screeching all over it, but I don't think I would listen to it outside of SRW compared to the other Linebarrels music "Proud"

The GBA OG2 still has the best version of Violent Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZNC0b4DhAE

None of the other versions are as "Your are hosed" as this one.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Also an Impact map BGM was in OG2 and it was excellent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHdiXssB0VA

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Any time Violent Battle started playing OG2 was mostly a clue that I was about to need to soft reset. :suicide:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

Also an Impact map BGM was in OG2 and it was excellent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHdiXssB0VA

Now I know the name of that track! Was it even in OGs?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Indeed it was! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw9xUn90wWc

I don't like it as much there though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Really, OGs just has a really disappointing soundtrack overall. Despite having a much better soundchip, pretty much every song is worse off than on the original gba.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Davzz posted:

Prepare for disappointment past Ep 3.

Until the end where it rolls back to being pretty fun to watch again, although the payoff for all the foreshadowing isn't great.

I really like the music that plays whenever poo poo is about to go down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDGRRacZjkg
It's really great at creating tension. Wish it had been in Z2.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gyra_Solune posted:

Indeed it was! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw9xUn90wWc

I don't like it as much there though.

The MX version is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc4opFFUrCE

Then again, the MX version of everything was good.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

The MX version is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc4opFFUrCE

Then again, the MX version of everything was good.

Beg to differ, Dragonar's theme felt so much more energetic in SRWA.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
The GBA songs tended to be a lot more energetic, largely because they had to save space and made songs a bit faster so they wouldn't be as long, and did clever stuff with the soundchip so songs sounded nice and punchy even with such a big variation of music from all sorts of composers reduced to 8ish-bit format.

It is pretty cool! Even if it does weird things like tempting me to make Do You Remember Love a faster-paced battle song which is probably not a good idea.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I still wish they followed J's lead and tried rearranging songs to be more energetic. Realize was so much better it was incredible.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

I still wish they followed J's lead and tried rearranging songs to be more energetic. Realize was so much better it was incredible.

J's soundtrack in general was loving fantastic and all they did for the majority of the songs was pump up the tempo. J's version of Masquerade from Tekkaman Blade is one of my absolute favorite mixes in any SRW ever. J's hyper-speed version of Mazin Kenzan is also great battle music.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 17, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
J's version of Dancouga and Zeorymer's themes are my favorite versions of them and up there among my favorite SRW remixes. :allears:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I'm starting to think the only reason J was sped up was because of some bug or weird work around to hardware limitations on the GBA... either way speeding up songs owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

They somehow turned a melancholic song like Layzner's theme into a Mega Man stage theme. Goddamn J had the best soundtrack.

BlitzBlast posted:

:hfive:
That was right around when I decided that Realize was my favorite Gundam OP ever.

• Locked thread