Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I agree completely. Even if the episodes were around two hours long, it only being six episodes would have avoided all the issues they've been having. Granted, I know that given their funding status, they wouldn't have been able to do six episodes at the time; but if their format is to improve at all, they need to go shorter or denser.

However, I also understand that the longer they draw it out, the more suspense they build, and then the more of a popular sensation they become. There's not really much good reason for them to do the proper thing in these circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
God loving drat it goons. Koenig is a journalist . Her job is to report the facts of the case, and in the process of the investigation. And despite what it may seem, the story isn't whether or not Adnan kill Hae, but of a reporter uncovering the story. Our subject is not a storyteller or a sleuth, just a fact-gatherer and reporter. A lot of her reporting and investigation is part of a journalist process of fact checking, a process that was famously loving used in that film you saw Almost Famous. A reporter gets a fact, they get another source to objectively corroborate that fact, and anything that they can't is chucked. This doesn't mean what is objectively true, i.e. is Jay telling the truth, but if an event did happen, i.e. did Jay present this as 'his' truth. As well, a reporter is also beholden to connect the dots for their readers/viewers/listeners to inform the bigger story. Unfortunately, this leaves journalism vulnerable to a lot of biases and corruption, but it is a necessary process to turn facts into a news story. Maybe the process the team at Serial are using are abnormally thorough, but goddamn it that is their prerogative. Especially as the definition of 'journalist' become more and more objective these days.

And as much as this podcast may entertain you, it is still a journalistic program. It is not a murder mystery or drama using real events. It is a woman and her team presenting some goddamn facts and events of the story of an investigation. A tweet by Best Buy is a different thing, and to be honest, a little opportunistic of a person's murder.

The latest episode wasn't Sarah finding a smoking gun in the guilt of Adnan, it was checking the truth in one rumor she heard. A rumor that was posed as relevant to the murder as possible evidence. Her badgering questions wasn't to crawl under the skin and reveal the murderer, but to check the fact of if Adnan stole. And that fact was used to connect that it could possibly mean psycho-/sociopathic tenancies, but also responsibly pointed out that it is equally if not more likely that it means nothing, especially if he's not guilty.

And seriously, if anyone thinks that resolution is at hand, you'd have to willingly ignore the zeitgeist of being the #1 downloaded podcast, investigated by 1000s of individual faux-sherlocks, and the fact that Adnan's upcoming appeal actually becoming a major news story, a fact acknowledged in a recent episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

A lot of her reporting and investigation is part of a journalist process of fact checking, a process that was famously loving used in that film you saw Almost Famous.

Why would I see any movie that has Kate Hudson in it

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Morroque posted:

After all this time, I'm still not entirely convinced that Sarah Koenig really knows what she's doing. Like, I'm really starting to wonder what the purpose of any of this is.

I first had that thought when she approached the Innocence Project. She said "My job is not to exonerate Adnan." That led me to wonder, "Okay then, so what is your job?" What is the purpose of this enterprise? Do they even know?

Like, that didn't bother me so much back then since I got the impression that all this was leading somewhere. But after the aimlessness of the last episode, I'm no longer sure.

SomeJazzyRat blew this out of the water, but I'll reiterate in case someone skips it: Koenig's a journalist. Not only does she know what she's doing, she's done a remarkable job over the past year (and even moreso over the past couple of months). She has maintained from the beginning that it isn't her job to exonerate Adnan or provide narrative closure because that's not what journalists do.

You report the story you have, not the story you wish you had.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If Serial doesn't end with Sarah Koenig breaking Adnan out of prison and replacing him in his cell with the Real Killer then she has basically failed as a journalist.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The key to understanding the last episode is to think of Serial as a rough simulation of a trial. First few episodes were opening arguments, then we move into evidence and witness statements, then through expert evidence and finally to character evidence/mitigation. It's a crucial part of the process.

Incidentally (and not that it really matters), but in my office of judges and law clerks we're all pretty sure that Adnan did it, the real thorny question is whether we'd move to convict if we were on the jury and how much reasonable doubt there is.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, I thought there was no way I'd suspect Adnan by the end of this thing, but we've only got one episode to go and I'm on board with the idea that he did it. Not at all on board with the notion that it's beyond all reasonable doubt, though, so I don't think he should be in jail.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Toaster Beef posted:

Yeah, I thought there was no way I'd suspect Adnan by the end of this thing, but we've only got one episode to go and I'm on board with the idea that he did it. Not at all on board with the notion that it's beyond all reasonable doubt, though, so I don't think he should be in jail.

And the "why" and the "how" are still very ill-defined. The first is perhaps of only minor importance to the legal process, the "how" should be critical.

Why? Uh, he was jealous or something. Even though he said he wasn't and had moved on.

How? Somehow or other. Lemme get back to you on that ...

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

SomeJazzyRat blew this out of the water, but I'll reiterate in case someone skips it: Koenig's a journalist. Not only does she know what she's doing, she's done a remarkable job over the past year (and even moreso over the past couple of months). She has maintained from the beginning that it isn't her job to exonerate Adnan or provide narrative closure because that's not what journalists do.

You report the story you have, not the story you wish you had.

I don't entirely disagree but:

Maybe Serial isn't intended to be a murder investigation ... although it sometimes acts like one. And some have suggested it's an investigation into the nature of justice / the legal process / character / crime ... and certainly it looks like that at times. Sure, you could say it's about investigating "the story" ... but it's not very clear what the story is. And SK has spent a lot of the podcast on the process of chasing the story, the story of the story. So the confusion is understandable.

Insert caveat here about this is a minor complaint and how I've found Serial very interesting. It's just that I can understand where some complaints are coming from.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Morroque posted:

After all this time, I'm still not entirely convinced that Sarah Koenig really knows what she's doing. Like, I'm really starting to wonder what the purpose of any of this is.

I first had that thought when she approached the Innocence Project. She said "My job is not to exonerate Adnan." That led me to wonder, "Okay then, so what is your job?" What is the purpose of this enterprise? Do they even know?

Like, that didn't bother me so much back then since I got the impression that all this was leading somewhere. But after the aimlessness of the last episode, I'm no longer sure.

I'm not really sure what you (or others) are expecting this to lead?

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 15, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Koenig is absolutely setting this up as an unraveling mystery. Or she did at the outset anyway. It's not just reporting, there's definite narrative construction going on here, and Koenig has been in full control of it. Part of my problem with Serial as a concept is that I think it's kind of morally shaky to treat a real case with real people as a thing where you withhold important revelations until later episodes so they fit into your storytelling method. Treating this as a journalistic expose is disingenuous when in a lot of ways it's more similar to a radio drama that just so happens to involve real people.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
This is basically a whodunit episode of Dateline stretched out into podcast form for effete NPR listeners

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So has anyone decided to use Mailchimp after listening to this podcast? Because it seems like the stupidest app, like who really needs help writing emails outside of maybe grade schoolers.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

facebook jihad posted:

So has anyone decided to use Mailchimp after listening to this podcast? Because it seems like the stupidest app, like who really needs help writing emails outside of maybe grade schoolers.

To be fair, Mailchimp is really good if you are an oraganization and need to send out cool looking emails with news updates. For individuals, it's not super useful.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

facebook jihad posted:

People who manage mailing lists and do emarketing use Mailchimp. It's not meant for internet user "facebook jhad" to email his grandma.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

facebook jihad posted:

I use Mailchimp. I DOOO

... at work, when I send out newsletters to hundreds of people. It serves a purpose. They also have really easy to use plugins for CMSs like Wordpress, to get people to sign up for said mailing list.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 15, 2014

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

SomeJazzyRat posted:

God loving drat it goons. Koenig is a journalist . Her job is to report the facts of the case, and in the process of the investigation. And despite what it may seem, the story isn't whether or not Adnan kill Hae, but of a reporter uncovering the story.

I can't believe people expect more than that. It's a fantastic podcast as it is, It doesn't need to end with SK breaking Adnan out of prison or anything similar.
Those that complain must subscribe to the Michael Bay school of thought that everything needs to end with an epic finale. This is a real case.. if reality isn't enough then you have been reading too much fanfic or something

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm thinking that by now, the majority of people reading and posting in this thread get that the point of the podcast is not to exonerate Adnan Syed.

It looks more like people are trying to figure out what the podcast has ended up trying to do, if it even knows what it is doing, and if it's any drat good at doing it.

I personally am not convinced it is a purely objective journalistic effort to dig up and examine facts.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 15, 2014

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
This is a TAL spinoff. You guys should go look at TAL's goals, and what they look at when they request submissions. They tell stories. The goal of Serial and TAL is to tell a story with an arc. That's what they're trying to do.

Does the payoff of the Serial story need to have a firm resolution? Well that's for you to decide.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Mail...k..kimp?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The podcast was never about solving the mystery, it was about looking at this particular case and going "welp, the justice system is hosed."

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

It's going to end with "What if I told you I did it... Next season on Serial"

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

This is basically a whodunit episode of Dateline stretched out into podcast form for effete NPR listeners

And this is why it rules. Though I do enjoy Keith Morrison's campy rear end.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

CortezFantastic posted:

Mail...k..kimp?

"Chimp."
"........shimp?"

Def my favourite part of each episode.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

It looks more like people are trying to figure out what the podcast has ended up trying to do

Entertain. Mission accomplished.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

zakharov posted:

This is a TAL spinoff. You guys should go look at TAL's goals, and what they look at when they request submissions. They tell stories. The goal of Serial and TAL is to tell a story with an arc. That's what they're trying to do.

Does the payoff of the Serial story need to have a firm resolution? Well that's for you to decide.

Over the last couple of years TAL has moved more towards doing actual journalism instead of stories about random poo poo like some Jewish kid's experience getting poison ivy at summer camp in upstate New York. Their coverage of the 2008 financial crisis is one prominent example, but they've also done smaller stories that are similar to Serial, like their coverage of that messed up drug court in Tennesse or whatever. That story is almost a prototype of Serial. Their response to the whole Mike Daisy fiasco with Apple also showed that they are actually really interested in journalism, and journalism ethics.

I don't think they are simply trying to tell a story with an arc with Serial, or even with a lot of TAL these days. I think they are using what they learned about telling stories with an arc to create a compelling narrative though, and are trying to mix that with actual serious journalism. It was working really well for the first five or so episodes, too.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

ozza posted:

"Chimp."
"........shimp?"

Def my favourite part of each episode.

I use mail chimp.

"You do?!?"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dear Prudence posted:

Entertain. Mission accomplished.

Next season will be an 8-hour long squirrel fable, narrated in rhyming couplets by dour young New York "writers."

USE A MAIL CHIMP.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

doctorfrog posted:

Next season will be an 8-hour long squirrel fable, narrated in rhyming couplets by dour young New York "writers."
reading through this sentence is like gazing through a portal to my own personal hell

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
deliver high fives

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is glorious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9UXw0X16TQ

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
The Mail Chimp ad definitely works cause two different companies I was subbed too sent me emails using them since.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
There is a survey out for Serial listeners for anyone so inclined.

I'm not affiliated, just thought I'd pass it along to give people a potentially academically cited outlet to gripe that there should/should not be a resolution at the end.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

My neighbourhood association uses it to send out newsletters to locals. They seem to like it and be able to use it easily enough, and this is after me trying to get them to use Google groups for the same purpose for years.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 16, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

We used it to send out our monthly calendar at our theater to people that had signed up for our newsletter. It works really well for that sort of thing. Creepily, it can also tell you who opened up your email, and when.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well, guess more people use a mailchimp than I thought

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcn4Ps5c1Bs

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Antifreeze Head posted:

There is a survey out for Serial listeners for anyone so inclined.

I'm not affiliated, just thought I'd pass it along to give people a potentially academically cited outlet to gripe that there should/should not be a resolution at the end.

Thank you for the link.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
We use Constant Contact at my job but I can't figure out a cute way to mispronounce it.

I just marathoned through this podcast starting on Sunday and caught up with the thread. I agree that treating this as anything other than entertainment is stupid, but having the early episodes fresh in my mind I can definitely see why some people have clung to the implication of this leading somewhere beyond fact-checking journalism.

Guess we'll see tomorrow? Glad I didn't listen week to week. That thanksgiving break would have been awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

fullroundaction posted:

We use Constant Contact at my job but I can't figure out a cute way to mispronounce it.

I just marathoned through this podcast starting on Sunday and caught up with the thread. I agree that treating this as anything other than entertainment is stupid, but having the early episodes fresh in my mind I can definitely see why some people have clung to the implication of this leading somewhere beyond fact-checking journalism.

Guess we'll see tomorrow? Glad I didn't listen week to week. That thanksgiving break would have been awful.

Constant Contact bros!

I also started this late - around episode 7, so I already knew that there were issues about the "end" and I actually think that tempered my response to it. I've enjoyed hearing about the case but I really never expected this to be a situation where SK blows the case wide open with her podcast.

• Locked thread