Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EmmyOk posted:

My main problem with merchants in games is that they're not the merchant from RE4.

Hey remember how they were maybe going to put the Merchant in RE5 but didn't because... well I don't know. They didn't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I kind of wish I was asked more often "Whaddaya buyin?" in that gravelly, somewhat-accented voice.

This should be one of GTAV's first mods when it releases.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

EmmyOk posted:

My main problem with merchants in games is that they're not the merchant from RE4.

I think the only one lately that I've liked as much as The Merchant is Theodore from Persona Q. When you bring him a rare material, he says something along the lines of "I transformed it! Everything can be made exceptional with a little ti- ... I wasn't finished!" as you interrupt him by looking through his new goods :3:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

EmmyOk posted:

WELCOME!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If I'm drunk and people I don't know come to a party, more often than not I will say, "I've got a lot of good things to drink... STRANGAH."

I have no friends.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

a better question is how can a crippled autist can even become a merchant a run a shop

Steam does alright.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

In an attempt to stop spending so much money on video games I've been going through my library of Steam games and playing things I picked up for dirt cheap and never touched. The other night I installed Dead Space. Never played any of the Dead Space games before-- they never really seemed like my cup of tea and after an hour and a half of playing I still feel that way. I'm not entirely sure I'll go back to it.

That being said I REALLY like the UI in Dead Space. Like drat even for a game that came out six years ago I think the UI is super neat.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just picked up Borderlands and started playing through it with my wife, and I love the little context-dependent things they have the characters say. The first time I noticed was when I tried to pick up some health when I was already at full, and Brick shouts "Anyone need some health?"

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I just picked up Borderlands and started playing through it with my wife, and I love the little context-dependent things they have the characters say. The first time I noticed was when I tried to pick up some health when I was already at full, and Brick shouts "Anyone need some health?"
This was great for everything except when characters open chests. By the end of the game I was so loving sick of Roland yelling "IT'S LIKE CHRISTMAS!" every single time he found a lovely green weapon.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

In Jedi Knight you can shoot out the various neon signs you come across, it's surprisingly satisfying.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I love it when Mordecai runs out of ammo. He sounds so loving angry.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mordecai's voice lines from Borderlands 1 are hilarious in general, especially the lines when you take a fatal hit and go into second wind mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qIUHQjq9qo&t=141s

Since I mained Mordecai in Borderlands 1, I will never forget URGH, WHYYYYYYY, WHAYYYAYYYyyyyy

There are a lot of lines from Borderlands I'll probably never forget because I played so goddamn much of that game. "YOU NEVER SHOULDA COME HERE AND NOW YOU'RE GONNA PAY" is one that recurs in Borderlands games still today.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Merchant chat?

You come back alive.. I need yer business. </disgruntled>

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My only problem with the merchant was the castle level. I spotted him a huge distance away and his coat made him look like a cultist, so I sniped him in the head. Had to go through the whole Castle without a merchant, it was tough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that after some plot stuff happens the merchant in RE4 gets the same glowy eyes as the zombies. Nothing ever comes of it though.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CJacobs posted:

I like that after some plot stuff happens the merchant in RE4 gets the same glowy eyes as the zombies. Nothing ever comes of it though.

Money is so op that it overrides the plaga's control.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I think they're technically different merchants, as some have the red eyes and some don't.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bhodi posted:

Merchant chat?

You come back alive.. I need yer business. </disgruntled>

I work alone.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Wow, I never noticed this.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

EmmyOk posted:

My only problem with the merchant was the castle level. I spotted him a huge distance away and his coat made him look like a cultist, so I sniped him in the head. Had to go through the whole Castle without a merchant, it was tough.

If you kill him on Professional he's dead for the entire game. :haw:

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I love it when you return to the early areas of a game after you've leveled up and find the enemies that gave you so much trouble, before completely stomping them into paste.

That said, even though you don't really level up in the Metal Gear a solid series, its fun to play NG+ and fully embrace the badass you've become.

First play through:
-Sneak- -Sneak- -Wait- -Aim gun-
-Wait- -Shoot- -Hide Body- -sneak-

Second play through;
-Tranq- -Tranq- -Tranq- -Run- -CQC- -Throw magazine- -CQC CQC CQC-

I took longer than most playing Ground Zeroes, about two hours for the main story, and then see someone on YouTube do it in about five minutes. Jerk. :argh:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

There are a lot of lines from Borderlands I'll probably never forget because I played so goddamn much of that game. "YOU NEVER SHOULDA COME HERE AND NOW YOU'RE GONNA PAY" is one that recurs in Borderlands games still today.

Oh my god me too, I can still hear it now. I think it was because the VA delivered it so rhythmically, hitting each syllable at the exact same pitch and volume. That line has stuck with me like glue, and I haven't played any of the games beyond original vanilla.

That and "Catch a RIIIIIDE", although at least you hear different versions of that one from time to time.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Celery Face posted:

I really love the music that plays in Bully when you're just walking around campus. Gets stuck in my head all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmqbIUa8RcA

Shawn Lee is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM0IdbZAerw&t=80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNawon9Y0ZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LItSH0Jdcfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzenYRvPcVY

Bully owns for teaching me about Shawn Lee time to go binge on him again thanks to you fuckers

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

timp posted:

Oh my god me too, I can still hear it now. I think it was because the VA delivered it so rhythmically, hitting each syllable at the exact same pitch and volume. That line has stuck with me like glue, and I haven't played any of the games beyond original vanilla.

That and "Catch a RIIIIIDE", although at least you hear different versions of that one from time to time.

That reminds me of the scene in Borderlands 2 when they get Sanctuary into the air.

Scooter: *deep breath* CAAAAAATCH! A! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE! :byodood:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Scooter is the best.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

MindlessHavok posted:

Scooter is the best.

"All the ladies say Scooter's the fastest ride in town! Catch-a-ri- oh, i just realized that's an insult..." :smith:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
The death sounds the monsters in Doom make, especially the Mancubus and the Arch Viles.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Resident Evil 4 has, to me, the most satisfying NG+ in any game, aside from Mario 3.

Having the extra health is nice, but the money you have to spend on all sorts of ridiculous weapons is great. Killing the huge dude in the barn is a 10-second fight.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow, I never noticed this.

I wanna say that once you get the IR scope (or whatever it's called) you can even see the plagas inside of him with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: That's awesome, if true. ^^^^^

I'm sure it's also been mentioned here but the little effects the costumes have on Leon and Ashley are great, too. The reaction Leon has when he catches her in her suit of armour, the lack of protest when you try and look up her (nonexistent) skirt when she's wearing the armour or the silver suit (I'm just a bit surprised they took it out, I mean), and Leon's scoff when he's wearing the fancy clothes and you try to reload the Chicago Typewriter are all great.

Am I missing any?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I'm sure it's also been mentioned here but the little effects the costumes have on Leon and Ashley are great, too. The reaction Leon has when he catches her in her suit of armour, the lack of protest when you try and look up her (nonexistent) skirt when she's wearing the armour or the silver suit (I'm just a bit surprised they took it out, I mean), and Leon's scoff when he's wearing the fancy clothes and you try to reload the Chicago Typewriter are all great.

Am I missing any?

Just the hat toss Leon does it you try to reload the Chicago Typewriter four times while dressed in the gangster outfit, which is extremely awesome. :cool:

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
An incredibly little thing that I like about World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor is the NPC pathing in your garrison. Pretty much every creature and character in WoW can clip through each other, so it didn't matter that NPCs would just walk through you on their scripted path.

In your garrison, however, they'll all walk around you and each other. There's a lot of NPC foot traffic in your garrison, so I guess it would look pretty silly if all the workers and recruits were totally stationary, or constantly walking through each other.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Am I missing any?

If you aim at Ashley while she's wearing the armor the faceplate on it falls down so you can't headshot her by accident, whereas in her normal outfit she just ducks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also, when she's wearing the armor, she's too heavy for enemies to pick up and kidnap. You can even see them struggle for a moment and fail.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Goddammit RE4 was so great :3:

I rewatched Alien then immediately booted up Alien: Isolation. So far the visual fidelity to the film's set design is amazing. You're reassured right as you awake from cryosleep and see the same little drinking bird from the movie. :3:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sounds like I need to boot up my PS2 and finally play my copy of RE4 I never started.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've been playing Max Payne 3 on PC since it came out and to this day I STILL notice incredibly tiny details. When you walk in mud or goop or whatever, Max's shoes get muddy and he leaves muddy footprints for a few steps, which is not that big... but if you walk in something that's like, smoky or dusty, Max will leave tiny smoke poof clouds when he walks for the next few steps he takes.

The way I noticed this was by diving over an open flame through the smoke. Holy crap man.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Completely forgot about the armour headguard flipping down, and the hat toss. Thanks, guys! Is there anything different for when you dress Leon up in his RCPD outfit?

Kaubocks posted:

Sounds like I need to boot up my PS2 and finally play my copy of RE4 I never started.

You really, really do. Like I posted earlier, the ng+ is fantastic.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I am guilty of not beating a lot of games. I am also guilty of beating games with a lot of replayability only once. I've beaten Dark Souls 1 and 2 three times each.

I've beaten Resident Evil 4 nine times on three different systems.

My girlfriend thinks I am insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Samfucius posted:

I am guilty of not beating a lot of games. I am also guilty of beating games with a lot of replayability only once. I've beaten Dark Souls 1 and 2 three times each.

I've beaten Resident Evil 4 nine times on three different systems.

My girlfriend thinks I am insane.

I've beaten the original Devil May Cry 7 times. :hfive: