Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Question - Does anyone here have a Moma Muji fountain pen? I got one and I love the pen. Writes well, comfortable, well made and some cool design touches but I cannot find a converter that fits. It looks like an international standard but I've tried 5-6 different international standard converters and none of them fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If you're talking about the aluminium ones that Muji makes, I think they can take short cartridges. Don't quote me.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

My googling says that Muji pens only take short cartridges so ... maybe Brian Goulet's suggestions here would help, since that is also a pen that only accepts short cartridges, or you might just be screwed.

Edit: And when I say screwed, I obviously mean get an ink syringe and refill the cartridges with whatever you want.

Remora fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 16, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Remora posted:

My googling says that Muji pens only take short cartridges so ... maybe Brian Goulet's suggestions here would help, since that is also a pen that only accepts short cartridges, or you might just be screwed.

Edit: And when I say screwed, I obviously mean get an ink syringe and refill the cartridges with whatever you want.

I have a blunt syringe already for that sort of thing, I just prefer converters.

I probably should've clarified earlier - converters fit fine in the body but they don't stay on the post in the feed because the post is too small.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Just posting to show off a holiday-related present I got:

A clear Kaweco Classic Sport with fine nib and some Iroshizuku murasaki-shikibu.

p.s. anyone have any suggestions for short international cartridge that don't have the colored end to indicate what color they came with? Thats really annoying me since I've obviously don't have blue in this cart anymore.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

vkeios posted:

p.s. anyone have any suggestions for short international cartridge that don't have the colored end to indicate what color they came with? Thats really annoying me since I've obviously don't have blue in this cart anymore.

I have a bunch of boxes of Rotring cartridges I got from a place that was going out of business and they're all just milky white when empty.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

grack posted:

I probably should've clarified earlier - converters fit fine in the body but they don't stay on the post in the feed because the post is too small.

Apparently Muji changed production facilities for that pen at some point, too - some of the pens in the wild will take standard converters/cartridges and some won't, and it's down to luck of the draw which you get.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

Apparently Muji changed production facilities for that pen at some point, too - some of the pens in the wild will take standard converters/cartridges and some won't, and it's down to luck of the draw which you get.

Well gently caress, that's kind of annoying. I still love the pen, though, and I've found that my surplus Faber-Castell cartridges fit perfectly so I guess I'll just refill those when they run dry.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
I never want to own a pen I can't do this with:

The Lamy 2000 is such a cool design.

If you are looking for an very well behaved blue ink that is also more or less bombproof and extremely pretty then I can not recommend the Sailor Carbon Blue Black enough. Perfect for work that demands an indelible blue ink be used.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Nofeed posted:

I never want to own a pen I can't do this with:

The Lamy 2000 is such a cool design.

If you are looking for an very well behaved blue ink that is also more or less bombproof and extremely pretty then I can not recommend the Sailor Carbon Blue Black enough. Perfect for work that demands an indelible blue ink be used.

Didn't realize it was able to be fully disassembled like that. Is it as easy to take apart and put back together as a TWSBI 5xx?

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Brightman posted:

Didn't realize it was able to be fully disassembled like that. Is it as easy to take apart and put back together as a TWSBI 5xx?

I could not tell you how easy it is to maintain relative to the TWSBI's.

I will say that the Lamy 2000 is simple to disassemble for regular cleaning. Minus the cap, the entire operation can be conducted without the use of tools. A small wooden dowel is required to disassemble the cap, which is as well useful for pushing the piston out of the barrel but not nesceccary (I have a chopstick set aside for the purpose)

There are a number of small pieces that can be easily lost if you are clumsy about the process. During the reassembly, significant damage can be caused to your pen should you preform it incorrectly. If you feel comfortable with mechanical objects and the delicate manipulation thereof, you will find the entire performance an enjoyable and productive one.

Do you own a TWSBI? I was thinking about purchasing one as a bit of a "fun" pen. As in, something that has a cool nib and sips inks other than business-casual blues. Also is clear because I like the look of ink sloshing around within.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Nofeed posted:

I could not tell you how easy it is to maintain relative to the TWSBI's.

I will say that the Lamy 2000 is simple to disassemble for regular cleaning. Minus the cap, the entire operation can be conducted without the use of tools. A small wooden dowel is required to disassemble the cap, which is as well useful for pushing the piston out of the barrel but not nesceccary (I have a chopstick set aside for the purpose)

There are a number of small pieces that can be easily lost if you are clumsy about the process. During the reassembly, significant damage can be caused to your pen should you preform it incorrectly. If you feel comfortable with mechanical objects and the delicate manipulation thereof, you will find the entire performance an enjoyable and productive one.

Do you own a TWSBI? I was thinking about purchasing one as a bit of a "fun" pen. As in, something that has a cool nib and sips inks other than business-casual blues. Also is clear because I like the look of ink sloshing around within.

Yeah, the TWSBI line is a pretty solid. The 5xx series can be fully disassembled like that, so it's probably right up your alley. I think the cap requires a tool to take all the way apart though.

I might try taking the 2000 apart for a thorough cleaning in the future but I'll probably just leave the cap and nib assembly intact while I do so.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Brightman posted:

Yeah, the TWSBI line is a pretty solid. The 5xx series can be fully disassembled like that, so it's probably right up your alley. I think the cap requires a tool to take all the way apart though.

I might try taking the 2000 apart for a thorough cleaning in the future but I'll probably just leave the cap and nib assembly intact while I do so.

All the TWSBIs I've had come with a flat wrench for disassembly and a little bottle of silicone grease to maintain the piston seal. They're pretty much designed from the ground up to be user-serviceable.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

grack posted:

Question - Does anyone here have a Moma Muji fountain pen? I got one and I love the pen. Writes well, comfortable, well made and some cool design touches but I cannot find a converter that fits. It looks like an international standard but I've tried 5-6 different international standard converters and none of them fit.

I bought one not long ago and my pelikan converter fits OK, but my schmidt k5 and no-name chinese converters don't.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Edit: ^^^ Thank you! I'll look in to a Pelikan converter then.

Brightman posted:

Yeah, the TWSBI line is a pretty solid.

The TWSBI 530, 540, 580, Diamond Mini and Classic were all released with serious manufacturing and/or design flaws.

How in the blistering hell is that "pretty solid"?

grack fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 16, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

grack posted:

Edit: ^^^ Thank you! I'll look in to a Pelikan converter then.

The TWSBI 530, 540, 580, Diamond Mini and Classic were all released with serious manufacturing and/or design flaws.

How in the blistering hell is that "pretty solid"?

My 530 is still fine, and the customer service is the real solid part of TWSBI I guess.

404notfound posted:

All the TWSBIs I've had come with a flat wrench for disassembly and a little bottle of silicone grease to maintain the piston seal. They're pretty much designed from the ground up to be user-serviceable.
I was just talking about taking the cap apart, like removing the clip and jewel requires another tool.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Bought another Ahab to replace the one I irreversibly damaged; this time a clear demo which looks badass. Still smells like plastic barf poo poo and that unfortunately is part of the writing experience since that is all I can smell while using it. Washed it with diluted dish water before even using it and it helped minimally.

Anyway, first Ahab I got did not include this cool piece of paper showing a couple things to try like clear tape nor the extra nib. It said on the box that a "non-flex" nib was included, but to my eye they look the same. Any ideas what the deal is there?

Got some Noodler's Red-Black and so far I love it. Watching my sick daughter at the moment but if anyone wants to see some later I can post a picture.

Anyone got some good mods to try? I don't want to gently caress up this Ahab like I did the last one. I tried a super ghetto version of this last time (with files) and I'm thinking of maybe doing it this time.

Also, in terms of customizing, what does pull/pushing the nib and or feed do? I don't know much about this and would love to be informed this time around and not just try whatever dumb idea I think of.

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!
I picked up a Pilot Falcon in SEF from Massdrop and it's been fantastic, but now I want to try full-flex. What should I go for? I know Noodler's makes a cheap flex nib pen (the Creaper, I think?), but their pens always look really cheap - is it still worth trying, or is there a better option for a starting flex pen?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'm a complete newbie and am going to purchase a Pilot Metro (Fine Nib) for use at work, mostly note-taking. Is there a recommended black ink that's a good daily workhorse?

That's all I need to get started right? A Metro and some ink?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

terre packet posted:

I'm a complete newbie and am going to purchase a Pilot Metro (Fine Nib) for use at work, mostly note-taking. Is there a recommended black ink that's a good daily workhorse?

Just about any of the noodlers "bulletproof" black inks work fine. Regular noodlers black and heart of darkness are popular. I personally use x-feather, but really they're all fine.

I don't remember if the metro comes with a converter, but if it doesn't you'll need either a converter (and) or a blunt-tipped syringe to fill the cartridge it comes with

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

terre packet posted:

Noodler's Heart of Darkness gets a lot of love in this thread. I've personally never used it because I'm more of a 54th Mass person for daily use (gorgeous blue if you want a good everyday blue ink), but I have had good experience with Noodler's inks in general. Nathan is a nut, but he makes good ink with pretty artwork on the bottles, in a lot of great colors.

edit: I think the Metro comes with a squeeze converter, but you may want to upgrade that to a CON-20 or whatever it is that fits the Metro, the piston converter.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

rio posted:

It said on the box that a "non-flex" nib was included, but to my eye they look the same. Any ideas what the deal is there?

If they are different, one should have a line going a very long way down, with the Noodler's branding being parallel to the slit on either side. That's your flex nib. The other one should have a feed hole in it, with the slit going like less than half an inch into the metal, with the Noodler's branding perpendicular to the slit at the bottom. That's your... well, your regular nib. It's sold as a "medium/fine," mine writes a little finer than my Metro M.

ionicism posted:

I picked up a Pilot Falcon in SEF from Massdrop and it's been fantastic, but now I want to try full-flex. What should I go for? I know Noodler's makes a cheap flex nib pen (the Creaper, I think?), but their pens always look really cheap - is it still worth trying, or is there a better option for a starting flex pen?

All Noodler's pens are flexes. Even the nameless free pen I got from him flexes, just not as well as his named pens. There are no other real options for a "starting" flex pen (Stipula Splash which is $50 and crap?), aside from trying to find a deal on some vintage pen - and, well, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

terre packet posted:

If you're a complete newbie, it should come with a blue or black cartridge. Use that 'til you know if you like it or not. If you decide to go down the rabbit hole, pick up a CON-50 converter (beats the poo poo out of the aerometric one Metros come with) and a pack of black ink samples. Noodler's makes like five different blacks for a ridiculously low price, so that's where I'd start. My fiancee uses Polar Black for her work ink, ymmv.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was feeling a little festive so I put some Rouge Hematite in a cartridge and stuck it in one of my Metros. I haven't used this particular ink in a cart before, usually have used it in a pen with a piston or piston converter nor have I used it in this particular pen. I took the pen to an out of town meeting so it spent some time in my pocket (also doesn't usually happen but I didn't have a bag with me today) and about midway through the meeting had a pretty awful ink blowout, had ink in the cap, basically just ink everywhere which was very unusual. Now I'm not sure if it was from riding around in my pocket, getting warm in my hand during the meeting, lingering damage that I didn't know about from dropping this pen a while back, some property of the ink making it want to flow out more than inks I usually use, or just an unfortunate combination of some/all of the above but it pretty well sucked and I hope it doesn't become a recurring issue. :(

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Everything Burrito posted:

I was feeling a little festive so I put some Rouge Hematite in a cartridge and stuck it in one of my Metros. I haven't used this particular ink in a cart before, usually have used it in a pen with a piston or piston converter nor have I used it in this particular pen. I took the pen to an out of town meeting so it spent some time in my pocket (also doesn't usually happen but I didn't have a bag with me today) and about midway through the meeting had a pretty awful ink blowout, had ink in the cap, basically just ink everywhere which was very unusual. Now I'm not sure if it was from riding around in my pocket, getting warm in my hand during the meeting, lingering damage that I didn't know about from dropping this pen a while back, some property of the ink making it want to flow out more than inks I usually use, or just an unfortunate combination of some/all of the above but it pretty well sucked and I hope it doesn't become a recurring issue. :(

Are you sure you fully seated the cartridge and/or have you checked for cracking around it? Is the nib/feed fully seated?

You mentioned you dropped it, which could have loosened the feed or nib and if it's a refilled cartridge, it's possible that there's some abrasion/cracking/loosening around the open end.

I keep my pens in my pocket all the time and haven't had an issue with it aside from a couple drops if I'm really running/bouncing around. The heat from your hand shouldn't affect the cartridge too much, either, given the insulating properties of the air in the pen body. The only time I had a pen leak from getting warmed up was with an eyedropper converted pen sitting directly in a patch of sunlight (and it was full of Noodler's Nikita--that was a mess).

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

Remora posted:

All Noodler's pens are flexes. Even the nameless free pen I got from him flexes, just not as well as his named pens. There are no other real options for a "starting" flex pen (Stipula Splash which is $50 and crap?), aside from trying to find a deal on some vintage pen - and, well, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Huh, didn't know that about Noodler's. I have one of his free pens that came with a bottle of Nikita, and I didn't think it flexed. Might have to dig that out.

So casting aside the idea of a starter flex pen, what's my best option under, say, $300? Is that still in the range of vintage, or should I look into having a nib modified for flex instead?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Magnus Praeda posted:

Are you sure you fully seated the cartridge and/or have you checked for cracking around it? Is the nib/feed fully seated?

You mentioned you dropped it, which could have loosened the feed or nib and if it's a refilled cartridge, it's possible that there's some abrasion/cracking/loosening around the open end.

I keep my pens in my pocket all the time and haven't had an issue with it aside from a couple drops if I'm really running/bouncing around. The heat from your hand shouldn't affect the cartridge too much, either, given the insulating properties of the air in the pen body. The only time I had a pen leak from getting warmed up was with an eyedropper converted pen sitting directly in a patch of sunlight (and it was full of Noodler's Nikita--that was a mess).

Yeah, the first thing I did when I noticed the inksplosion was check to make sure the cartridge was secure and pushed on the nib to make sure it was seated properly. What I'm afraid of is that the section may have cracked or the feed got jacked up when I dropped it. It hosed the italic nib I was using all up and I had to put the original nib back on it so I have had it pulled apart recently, but it all seemed to be fitting together pretty tightly so I dunno. I've reused this cartridge a few times so it may be time to toss it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ionicism posted:

Huh, didn't know that about Noodler's. I have one of his free pens that came with a bottle of Nikita, and I didn't think it flexed. Might have to dig that out.

So casting aside the idea of a starter flex pen, what's my best option under, say, $300? Is that still in the range of vintage, or should I look into having a nib modified for flex instead?

You can get a Fountain Pen Revolution Dilli with a flex nib for only slightly more than a Noodler's Nib Creaper and the Dilli has gotten some quite good reviews.

Edit: If you want vintage flex take a look at Peyton Street Pens. They stick vintage flex nibs in modern bodies for ~$100

grack fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 17, 2014

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

rio posted:

Bought another Ahab to replace the one I irreversibly damaged; this time a clear demo which looks badass. Still smells like plastic barf poo poo and that unfortunately is part of the writing experience since that is all I can smell while using it. Washed it with diluted dish water before even using it and it helped minimally.

Anyway, first Ahab I got did not include this cool piece of paper showing a couple things to try like clear tape nor the extra nib. It said on the box that a "non-flex" nib was included, but to my eye they look the same. Any ideas what the deal is there?

Got some Noodler's Red-Black and so far I love it. Watching my sick daughter at the moment but if anyone wants to see some later I can post a picture.

Anyone got some good mods to try? I don't want to gently caress up this Ahab like I did the last one. I tried a super ghetto version of this last time (with files) and I'm thinking of maybe doing it this time.

Also, in terms of customizing, what does pull/pushing the nib and or feed do? I don't know much about this and would love to be informed this time around and not just try whatever dumb idea I think of.

I've done a lot of playing with nibs and feeds on my ahab, here's a couple of things that I have found:
  • the more "exposed" nib (feed farther in) the easier it flexes
  • The more exposed vents on the feed, the more air interchange you'll have (wetter writing)

Other than that, heat setting the nib and feed (especially if you modding or just switching out nibs, Goulet has a good video about it, it isn't very hard at all) makes a world of difference. This seems to be everyone's favorite flex mod for Ahabs. I don't know that it really needs one, because you're never going to turn it into a 14k wet noodle no matter what you do.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
This is the greates thing I've seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XpwLHPlhw

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Luisfe posted:

So you're telling me that I can drop thousands of dollars on a pen with a skull on it that is endorsed by the italian stallion?

It's like one of those $10 chinese dragonrubytigermistsnake pens, but dumber and more expensive than my car.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Luisfe posted:

quote:

It rewrote the rules for pen design with its virile, majestic, imposing form

Uh....

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

We can rename the thread to "virile, majestic, imposing" now can't we

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luisfe posted:

Are you making GBS threads me, that looks like something I'd receive from China by mistake.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Luisfe posted:

:psyduck: the gently caress did I just watch

Kessel posted:

Do it.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Luisfe posted:

Oh my god. It's beautiful.

Kessel posted:

Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Fountain Pens: "Virile, majestic, imposing" -Sly Stallone

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Luisfe posted:

:stonklol:

that looks massively uncomfortable to write with.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That thing is the Ed Hardy shirt of fountain pens.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Well, my almost 3 year old daughter loves it. That might be the target audience and we just don't "get" it.

Also, it looks like something out of an MMO. Chaos, the Pen of Stallone.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
In the recommended videos was the clip from one of the Expendables movies where that pen has a cameo. In that scene, Ole Sly whips out his MURDERPEN (which the camera takes a few seconds to have a close up on), and one of the other meat mountains says "Jeez, do you own anything that isn't covered in skulls?" Then they laugh. I think that line might have not been scripted, because Stallone wrote those movies and his character is basically his own perfect power fantasy self insert. And I think everything that The Italian Stallion owns might actually be covered in skulls, given his design aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
A few years ago I bought a bottle of bulletproof black ink called "Heart of Darkness" that came with a pen where the "cartridge" was literally the body of the pen.

Unscrew the tip, use the eyedropper to fill the pen, screw the tip back on, back in business.

Was this their basic "Flex pen" that you find on Amazon?