Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I just got my first pad upgrade in a new hard career mode campaign, the costs on this are crazy, but it's great to work around the limitations here and make decisions based both on cost and what my infrastructure can actually handle. I'm looking forward to getting satellite contracts so that there'll be a reason to set up a whole satellite network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

I thought Werner von Kerman mentioned something about right-clicking buildings to upgrade them in an info box that came up as soon as you started career mode?

I think this is true.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
That's odd, since Jeb's default "karate chop action" is SAS assistance. Of course, you need to get him to Level 1, but that's not too hard.
Also, when I fired up career for the first time (selecting hard) I had Gene (or was it Werner?) Kerman telling me to click and right click on the buildings to gain access to their info. Granted, if you push past that popup there's nothing obvious about it, but it was pretty plainly stated in an intrusive way.

Edit: VV They're just trying to give the early access experience to the new Beta players! If you don't like it you can play Science mode or drop the difficulty down to cheapen the upgrade costs and buff the rewards. I'll probably start feeling like it's getting old after another playthrough or two, but for this first outing it feels like a spit-and-baling-wire ground floor of a space program.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 16, 2014

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Really not impressed with no maneuver nodes until you drop a couple of hundred k on upgrades. Thats loving ridiculous.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
Ok sillybitches... for those of you who use my stuff, the new all-in-one zip is fresh out of the oven for 0.90 (in my dropbox, just grab it from a KSP forum link). All USI mods are now up to date.

Yeah... that was twelve hours of my life I will never get back :P

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
OK yeah I just clicked "OK" past the wall of text that took up half the screen, thinking "I've played this before.". My mistake! Maybe a ? is needed to bring up the stuff again?

(I still think there should be a short list of the avail buildings as a UI piece on that screen)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Oh god, the Stayputnik has no reaction wheels.

Welp, guess I have to light the engine any time i want to turn around. >.<

E: no patched conics or manuevers? I feel like I'm back in .06! This update is awesome.

Love the limits of part count and mass, I've been having to get creative. 30 is a bit low to start out though, I think. Maybe 50.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Luckily I noticed the Stayputnik lack before I actually did a mission with it.

The thirty limit is pretty brutal though with how expensive the VAB's first upgrade is compared to the pad upgrade and mission quantity upgrade.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
So what building do I have to upgrade to what level in order to get the nodes back? This has been really fun. I've landed on the Mun, did some orbit matching missions etc. without them.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Does going EVA in an orbit seem particularly deadly recently? I just got out to do an EVA while orbiting the moon and Jeb fired off at a pretty good clip. To add to the fun his rocket pack refused to turn on for about 15 seconds because I guess he was flagged as out of control or something.

Also tends to kick the ship into spinning.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

RoverDude posted:

Ok sillybitches... for those of you who use my stuff, the new all-in-one zip is fresh out of the oven for 0.90 (in my dropbox, just grab it from a KSP forum link). All USI mods are now up to date.

loving awesome man, I've become a fan of your stuff over the past few days, and I've not even touched the resource systems yet. The sounding rockets are part of this too, right? That's a mod I could use for these low-tech early missions.

Also, to anyone, what the gently caress is a patched conic that everyone is always talking about? Google tells me its something like showing an orbit line?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Alaan posted:

Does going EVA in an orbit seem particularly deadly recently? I just got out to do an EVA while orbiting the moon and Jeb fired off at a pretty good clip. To add to the fun his rocket pack refused to turn on for about 15 seconds because I guess he was flagged as out of control or something.

It seems like the Known Bugs from the last update are back. There was a pack for fixing the radial decouplers having no ejection force and the EVA door chucking you out into space unceremoniously; need to dig it up. It amounted to a file you dropped into the gamedata folder.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Is CKAN only showing mods that have updated for .90? The list seems somewhat paltry.

By default, yes. You can force it to show/install incompatible mods, at least in the command line, although I forget exactly how.

quote:

My kid needs to go to sleep pronto tonight, I've been waiting for .90 to drop to get back into slinging green mans at celestial bodies. :getin:

My son is just old enough to notice that banging on the spacebar makes noises and flashing lights come out of the computer, at least when KSP is running. I like to fire up sandbox mode, load a rocket onto the pad and just let him go wild on the keyboard. :3:

Count Roland posted:

Also, to anyone, what the gently caress is a patched conic that everyone is always talking about? Google tells me its something like showing an orbit line?

Patched conics is what shows you your predicted orbital track during and after encounters with other bodies.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ToxicFrog posted:

My son is just old enough to notice that banging on the spacebar makes noises and flashing lights come out of the computer, at least when KSP is running. I like to fire up sandbox mode, load a rocket onto the pad and just let him go wild on the keyboard. :3:

Oh she knows that, too. Thankfully there's only been one inadvertent staging incident.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Danith posted:

Is the new version supposed to look like this, or is this the result of a mod or a settings file being messed up? Textures are horrible even on the max graphic setting -

As far as I know, that's simply how bad the new models really are. Hopefully, they'll get them up to the quality of the top tier models by full release.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't know if this was mentioned in the old thread, but the deployment altitude for parachutes is now tweakable in flight. Very useful if you are coming down over the mountains and don't want to splat.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!

Zero Gravitas posted:

Really not impressed with no maneuver nodes until you drop a couple of hundred k on upgrades. Thats loving ridiculous.

yeah I don't really like that at all

Danith posted:

Is the new version supposed to look like this, or is this the result of a mod or a settings file being messed up? Textures are horrible even on the max graphic setting -

they just made the new buildings look like poo poo for some reason

Alaan posted:

The thirty limit is pretty brutal though with how expensive the VAB's first upgrade is compared to the pad upgrade and mission quantity upgrade.
I agree with this too, it makes the whole career mode into hard mode for hardcore KSP people like myself and a lot of people in this thread, but limits access for people who just want to play the game. Career mode needs a toning down.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 16, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Clark Nova posted:

I don't know if this was mentioned in the old thread, but the deployment altitude for parachutes is now tweakable in flight. Very useful if you are coming down over the mountains and don't want to splat.

It's always been adjustable, as far back as .18 iirc, and the deployment altitude is not sea level, but ground level.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I guess I had been habitually avoiding the mountains and never thought to try adjusting it until today. There are places on Kerbin and Duna where the mountainsides are so steep that you'll crash into them before your chutes can deploy with the default 500m buffer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RoverDude posted:

How well does your stuff integrate into career mode?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
On normal, 30 parts is more than enough to get to orbit. The tonnage limit on the launch pad is very close though.

2 or 3 launches and you should have the tech to get to orbit (without silly tricks/perfect flying) and once you get to orbit, you should have enough contracts/cash to get maneuver nodes back.

I've played maybe 6 total hours of KSP and I think normal career mode is pretty drat easy so far (at least early game).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well, finally managed to land a plane without destroying anything. Maybe it went so well because I wasn't aiming for any landing strip, just the plains somewhere west of KSP.

All the new stuff is great, it's a good challenge working inside the limitations of the lower tier buildings.

But the tech tree still makes very little sense in some areas, I hope it'll get a major restructuring at some point. I've never used any mods that change the tree (because I hate managing mods, will have to check out CKAN later), but I've generally liked those where the tree more clearly branches out into specializations: Huger rockets, tinier rockets, planes, planetary exploration, science stuff.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Right after the update came out, Engineer hadn't updated yet so it wasn't showing dV stats in editor- and holy poo poo, it's ridiculous trying to build rockets without dV and TWR. I don't know how I lived without them, because they're downright essential to playing the game.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

RoverDude posted:

Amazing. Thank you.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

EightBit posted:

It's always been adjustable, as far back as .18 iirc, and the deployment altitude is not sea level, but ground level.

Do they deploy automatically? I always set mine off manually.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
When you stage parachutes, they partially deploy, then they fully deploy at the set altitude.

e:

Luneshot posted:

Right after the update came out, Engineer hadn't updated yet so it wasn't showing dV stats in editor- and holy poo poo, it's ridiculous trying to build rockets without dV and TWR. I don't know how I lived without them, because they're downright essential to playing the game.

After enough play, some of us develop a feel for it, and can make craft that can go to Jool or Moho and back. Once you are in orbit, you are more than halfway to anywhere, and TWR generally isn't how you get places once in orbit. Until you develop that sense, it can be quite a pain (depending on your preferred play style).

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 17, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Do they deploy automatically? I always set mine off manually.

Yes. You can trigger your chutes way outside the atmosphere and they will automatically half-deploy when your craft hits the atmospheric density configured for each one, and full-deploy when you reach the radar altitude configured for each one.
There is usually never any reason to manually time your chute deployment, just let the game do it for you.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

ZekeNY posted:

Did you get the latest development version? It's been working pretty well for me.

Just did when I got home from the errands I was running.

Now loading the game hangs while loading :(

Right here:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
For those of you who experience slow-as-molassis launch load times, try turning off any other (non-main) network adapters. I myself disabled Hamachi; the game then loaded in less than 20 seconds.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fosborb posted:

On normal, 30 parts is more than enough to get to orbit. The tonnage limit on the launch pad is very close though.

2 or 3 launches and you should have the tech to get to orbit (without silly tricks/perfect flying) and once you get to orbit, you should have enough contracts/cash to get maneuver nodes back.

Yeah orbit is totally doable, and even with the 30 part limit I can land on Mun and return as well after getting the first launch pad upgrade. That's about as far as I'm going until I get maneuver nodes back since I am bad, but for experienced players, even bad ones, the early game isn't THAT limiting, even on hard.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

nielsm posted:

Yes. You can trigger your chutes way outside the atmosphere and they will automatically half-deploy when your craft hits the atmospheric density configured for each one, and full-deploy when you reach the radar altitude configured for each one.
There is usually never any reason to manually time your chute deployment, just let the game do it for you.

Can I assume this doesn't apply under mods like NEAR and/or Deadly Reentry? :v:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Apparently you MUST activate parts via the staging menu for part test contracts. Thank god the debug menu lets you delete or complete contracts.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Splode posted:

Apparently you MUST activate parts via the staging menu for part test contracts. Thank god the debug menu lets you delete or complete contracts.

Not always, some of them you need to right-click them and select 'Run Test' instead. I do agree that's kinda dumb though, all part testing contracts should work via Run Test instead of through staging.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

RoverDude posted:

Sweet, that means I can play now!

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Putting maneuver nodes behind $260,000 worth of upgrades (on moderate) is a bit much. It'd be reasonable to require the Mission Control upgrade for $48k, but not the tracking station for $210k too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Honestly, who is going to launch a space mission without knowing how to figure out maneuvers?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Laying off 0.90 as I'm just getting up to the bit I always do when a new update drops and I want to actually do crazy space poo poo this time on my hard mode game instead of getting to the Mun and Minmus under slightly different circumstances.

Just had a contract pop up, put a Class E asteroid in orbit of Duna.

Uh-huh.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Honestly, who is going to launch a space mission without knowing how to figure out maneuvers?

People playing a video game who aren't actual rocket scientists?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Walton Simons posted:

Laying off 0.90 as I'm just getting up to the bit I always do when a new update drops and I want to actually do crazy space poo poo this time on my hard mode game instead of getting to the Mun and Minmus under slightly different circumstances.

Just had a contract pop up, put a Class E asteroid in orbit of Duna.

Uh-huh.

The important question is how much did that contract pay? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
It does seem a bit weird to restrict nodes that late. Really, you should have them before you're expected to go to the mun. As has been said, not everyone is a 0.10 veteran who remembers that you can point at the Mun and burn from orbit and you'll get an intercept. The tech tree part order is also really starting to show it's weirdness. I'd kill for plane parts and probes early game. I'm getting the impression Squad is following the progression of KSP's development when they should probably be following the progression of actual space programs. There were a LOT of probes on the moon before there was a crewed mission, and new players are probably going to expect that.

One feature request I'd like is to see where the kerbin fly-over mission coordinates are before I accept the contract.