Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

That's almost certainly what happened, then. Some kind of visual indicator that there's an enemy above/below you on the stairs would be nice.

I also tried to repro the trading keybinds issue with another character and it works now (albeit only with the numpad keys), so either I was really out of it and using the wrong buttons last time I tried or it's intermittent.

It might just be the state of the numlock key, it's actually currently sensitive to whether or not it's currently pressed. (Which is a legacy CoQ issue I'd like to fix.)

e: So it sounds like you've played a pretty decent amount and it sort of seems to work at a gross-anatomy level, with a bunch of dirty little corner cases bugs? Am I reading that right? Can anyone else say "Yeah I've played a decent amount and it more or less seems to work ok!"?

Unormal fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

It might just be the state of the numlock key, it's actually currently sensitive to whether or not it's currently pressed. (Which is a legacy CoQ issue I'd like to fix.)

e: So it sounds like you've played a pretty decent amount and it sort of seems to work at a gross-anatomy level, with a bunch of dirty little corner cases bugs? Am I reading that right? Can anyone else say "Yeah I've played a decent amount and it more or less seems to work ok!"?

That's mostly a fair assessment, I think, although I'm not sure going to Red Rock and dying a bunch of times counts as playing it "a decent amount".

Some of the bugs are pretty annoying (keybindings, the screen getting stuck and requiring a complete game restart) or fatal (writing saves it can't subsequently load), but it's playable and nothing seems totally broken.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

That's mostly a fair assessment, I think, although I'm not sure going to Red Rock and dying a bunch of times counts as playing it "a decent amount".

Some of the bugs are pretty annoying (keybindings, the screen getting stuck and requiring a complete game restart) or fatal (writing saves it can't subsequently load), but it's playable and nothing seems totally broken.

Yeah, bugs like that I'm totally prepared for as long as there's not really gross problems with gameplay/etc resulting from Unity, but it seems like there's not. Fixing bugs, I can do :)

Going to redrock and dying a bunch is like 90% of the gameplay :D

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there even anything to do besides wander around like the aimless murderhobo you are once you get past Golgotha?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Is there even anything to do besides wander around like the aimless murderhobo you are once you get past Golgotha?

Yeah, there's at least one major dungeon sequence remaining after that (B. Susa), and a bunch of little stuff.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tollymain posted:

Ran into a demo for an interesting little roguelite named Bear Hero

Sample gif:

This is adorable and handles/looks really good.

It's good that the controls are easily changable because ever since NES, jump should be to the right of attack. <:mad:>
Also the "class creation" at the start is clever and reminds me a bit of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon quizzes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This gif sold me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I am really bad at this bear game.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I am really bad at this bear game.
I've heard the game's difficulty can be polarizing :smug:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Hopefully it comes with a paws button in case you need to take a poo poo or something

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Bouchacha posted:

Hopefully it comes with a paws button in case you need to take a poo poo or something

Only if you're playing in the woods, otherwise the results are...grizzly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this bear game is adorable

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i've been playing persona lately. no more bear puns. please

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 17, 2014

One who is Rad
Mar 30, 2010
I love the style of this bear game but I just can't get into how everything does contact damage to you and is immune to enemy projectiles and traps. I can get to depth 3 if I'm lucky but every time I just get bumped by a knight and take damage I want to pull my hair out. Even the other enemy bears do contact damage.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
Man Bear Hero is really good. Little short though, looks like the third level is the last level?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Now ascend demigod.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal, are you interested in general UI improvement suggestions/feature-requesty stuff, or just outright bugs for now?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Unormal, are you interested in general UI improvement suggestions/feature-requesty stuff, or just outright bugs for now?

Whatever is fine; though our existing backlog for CoQ is basically already infinite. Can't hurt, though!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is it at all feasible to keep a pair of chainpistols fed?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Okay, maybe I'm just really poo poo at it, but I tried Bear Hero and it was just awful. The controls felt clunky and I always felt like there was a delay between me pressing a button and the action actually being performed. I tried playing it several times, and I always end up dead because something always manages to hit me before I hit it, at which point I can't attack and I just get hit again and die.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

brother-joseph posted:

This looks very interesting. Has anyone played this or Zafehouse Diaries? I had never heard of either one today which makes me too nervous to impulse buy either one.

Probably a bit late with this reply, but Deadnauts is very interesting. You can either take a random team or make your own. A campaign consists of clearing 4 ships - as long as one dude survives and gets out you'll be able to clone some of the rest. So far the best I've managed is clearing one ship, then got cocky on the next one and had a TPK due to an unstable room.

It's real time and you're watching and directing the action through a industrial looking control panel, which often has a flaky data feed due to the interferance from the security of the ship you're trying to pillage.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Recent happenings in the at least semi-commercial Roguelike world:

-KeeperRL hits a nicely meaty Alpha #12, seemingly putting it within spitting distance of Beta Status! http://keeperrl.com/

-Vagante hits Early Access as part of that surge of projects influenced by Spelunky but aiming to go deeper/differently: http://store.steampowered.com//app/323220?beta=0

-Somehow, Shrapnel Games....yes, that same one that any Dominions player will be perhaps cringingly familiar with, ended up becoming the publisher for the Kickstarted space-themed Roguelike Approaching Infinity---Shrapnel's Premium Price and other less than palatable traditional ways still fully intact:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Ibology/AI/AI_page.html

I really have to wonder how that whole thing went down...hopefully the dev can at least eventually get on elsewhere like Illwinter did as the world has largely moved beyond the likes of Shrapnel and Matrix.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Chinook posted:

Apparently there is a fork called "Shattered Pixel Dungeon" which is free and has more detailed descriptions and tooltips. It's supposed to be a better overall project.

Harder too, IMO.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Angrymog posted:

Probably a bit late with this reply, but Deadnauts is very interesting. You can either take a random team or make your own. A campaign consists of clearing 4 ships - as long as one dude survives and gets out you'll be able to clone some of the rest. So far the best I've managed is clearing one ship, then got cocky on the next one and had a TPK due to an unstable room.

It's real time and you're watching and directing the action through a industrial looking control panel, which often has a flaky data feed due to the interferance from the security of the ship you're trying to pillage.

I'm going to be honest - I tried the demo and couldn't figure out how to do anything. I started in a room with two icons - one that said Investigate and then one Unlock in front of a door. After about a minute I gave up since I couldn't get how the hell I was supposed to have my team interact with those. Am I a gigantic idiot or is this not very intuitive?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

brother-joseph posted:

I'm going to be honest - I tried the demo and couldn't figure out how to do anything. I started in a room with two icons - one that said Investigate and then one Unlock in front of a door. After about a minute I gave up since I couldn't get how the hell I was supposed to have my team interact with those. Am I a gigantic idiot or is this not very intuitive?
Bit of both? I was confused until I read the manual.

You right click to move your guys, left click to interact with stuff, however it can be a bit fiddly, and due to interferance or just being a jerk, your guys don't always listen :(

Worth reading the manual to find out how to use shields etc.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

brother-joseph posted:

Do you mean the technical demo? Because I don't see any demos on Steam, and btw they removed the links to the tech demo for being way out of date so that may also be your problem.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

One who is Rad posted:

I love the style of this bear game but I just can't get into how everything does contact damage to you and is immune to enemy projectiles and traps. I can get to depth 3 if I'm lucky but every time I just get bumped by a knight and take damage I want to pull my hair out. Even the other enemy bears do contact damage.

if you duck as you run past an enemy you can slide through them (and then get a sweet backstab)

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Do you mean the technical demo? Because I don't see any demos on Steam, and btw they removed the links to the tech demo for being way out of date so that may also be your problem.

I would swear I tried left clicking a million times but I still wouldn't rule out user error or the demo being bugged. I got it from the "try the demo" Windows link -
http://deadnaut.com/

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Kickstarted space-themed Roguelike Approaching Infinity---Shrapnel's Premium Price and other less than palatable traditional ways still fully intact:

WTF! Approaching Infinity is super cool, the dev and I went back and forth often while working on our games, but holy crap 40 bucks? It's such a good game and it's going to reach next to no one at that price.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jenx posted:

I always felt like there was a delay between me pressing a button and the action actually being performed.
Your attacks have a windup, yes.
I'm in love with how it handles personally because you have several fast movement options which take skill to use, but are quite powerful once you figure them out, and Megaman Zero permanently damaged my brain as a child.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

madjackmcmad posted:

WTF! Approaching Infinity is super cool, the dev and I went back and forth often while working on our games, but holy crap 40 bucks? It's such a good game and it's going to reach next to no one at that price.

I like when devs stick to their guns on price (Shovel Knight), but uh..... that kind of depends on having a reasonable price in the first place. And even then isn't an option without a ton of up front publicity.

This is nuts. Very strange decision.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I didn't even realize Shrapnel Games still existed. Their website is just as 90s as I remember it.

Also, $40, no Linux version, and physical distribution only? :fuckoff:

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Amazing how they're still in business.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is it going to come with an excessively long spiral bound manual that's wrong about most everything?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

Yep that's what Shrapnel Games does, alright.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe they really want people to not play their game idk

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

ExiledTinkerer posted:

-Somehow, Shrapnel Games....yes, that same one that any Dominions player will be perhaps cringingly familiar with, ended up becoming the publisher for the Kickstarted space-themed Roguelike Approaching Infinity---Shrapnel's Premium Price and other less than palatable traditional ways still fully intact:

I really have to wonder how that whole thing went down...hopefully the dev can at least eventually get on elsewhere like Illwinter did as the world has largely moved beyond the likes of Shrapnel and Matrix.

This bums me out because the demo is really neat. I really don't see myself spending $40 on it though. poo poo, I just paid $40 for CK2 and almost every piece of its DLC. They did the same thing with Bronze which is a neat tile based board game that no one played (because it's $40).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

lol welp

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Bob, I am disappoint.

Well I certainly wish him the best, I know he busted his rear end making that game, hopefully it works out for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm always so baffled by the folks that think "A higher price means we'll get more revenue derp derp" :psyduck:

This should be required reading for every developer nowadays: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/10/why-all-our-games-are-now-cheaper.html

edit: It was $10 through the kickstarter...

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 17, 2014