Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
This is the Simulation Game - the chat thread has been talking about GM's who like to run worlds as if they are living breathing places. Random tables tell the GM what happens to places, people and random events.
This is that taken to the groggy extreme - a world so reliant on random tables that the PC's have no chance of ever doing anything interesting. Before a lowly level 1 adventurer could even hear of the Mighty Dungeon of the Dark Lord Agog, (a 20 on the streetwise table). a Lvl20 adventurer has stopped off, killed Agog, looted his dungeon and run off with the captured princess. (20 on the random adventure table, +20 for being a Lvl20 GMPC.)

This will not be a game of heroes, this will be a game of random tables. why will this be interesting? well, I'm going to let YOU lot make the tables. So basically this is CYOA where the voting is replaced by a random roll. this will be done one a dice rolling site and displayed to show no cheating has occurred.

The Laws - The immutable laws (not to be confused with the rules, which will change as the GM (me) decides.

1) The Tables are always right, and the GM must abide by the result of the table.
2) The GM cannot create or add to tables. He may modify them, but only to turn them into a rollable format or remove inconsistent results.
3) Tables must conform to a format rollable by dice. The smallest we have been given is a D3, the Largest a D100 - although multiples of said dice may be used (2D6, 2D10 ect) Tables should always be configured to use the smallest dice possible. (i.e, a D100 table with only 20 results on it should be turned into a D20 table). Tables may go above/below the min/max rollable, but only to account for modifiers.
4) Tables must do what they were created for, and be internally consistent. A spellcasting table with no spells on it is out, as is a Combat table with 9 combat results and one result reading "NPC's wife has a baby".
5) Nothing may be deleted from a table, only added and renumbered. Unless it contravenes law 4. Of course.
6) the Table sheets must not be defaced or otherwise made unusable by Goon Antics. please make tables in a neat and organized fashion. make a new tab or request a new workbook if necessary. Try and group tables of similar use together.

The Rules if these get to long, they will be moved to a google docs of their own.
Step 1 - roll for setting

NPCs
NPC's will be represented as a series of bonuses to certain table types. So a warrior may have +5 to rolls on fighting tables, and -20 to spell rolls. This keeps down the book keeping.

Right, time to get started. Of course, we need to pick a setting - and in the spirit of the game. We need a table for that! your suggestions should be the type of game (high fantasy/sci-fi/horror ect) with a little more detail - i.e Low Fantasy, dwarves attempting to found a new mountain hall. Basically an elevator pitch to the campaign.

World Building Tables
Descision Tables
GMPC Tables
Quest Tables

Feel free to create any other tables you think we may need, but please post in thread if you do, I need to keep a list of tables available to me! Also, it may be bets to hold off going crazy until a setting have been rolled.

Also, like any good CYOA, feel free to chat in the thread!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Added a couple of settings that didn't look duplicated on the list.

Is there going to be a game system attached to this on the basis that we might eventually be able to do something?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Threw in a few suggestions of my own. Keeping my fingers crossed for Monty Python's Flying Model UN.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Added a couple, need to stop or I'll be here all day.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have game designed all over the tables.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I am super enjoying the table-building adventure.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Angrymog posted:

Added a couple of settings that didn't look duplicated on the list.

Is there going to be a game system attached to this on the basis that we might eventually be able to do something?

I'm not sure yet, I'll see how far it goes.

we're up to 75 ideas so far, so once it tops 100 I'll call that a full table and roll.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Welp! That filled up fast! So double posting so everyone sees.

The setting is .....

Looks like high fantasy, but is actually sci-fi

So, we have a setting, time to get a few more tables going. I now need the following things.

1) A place type table
2) A race/species (because it looks fantasy, but is sci-fi)
3) Name Generators (Places and races I guess)
4) an Evil Plot table.
5) at least one job table (for the soon to be generated BBEG and and good guys I need to throw in)

Basically, go whole hog.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
How much table editing is too much? I'm having fun coming up with stupid poo poo, but I reckon I should leave at least some stuff open for other people to fill in.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Grey Hunter posted:

we're up to 75 ideas so far, so once it tops 100 I'll call that a full table and roll.

You realise that the 80-90 spots were missing :v:

Also, are you making one sheet for each vote round of tables, to make it somewhat readable? Or all at once for maximum confusion?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 16, 2014

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Oh sweet, it's Book of the New Sun world.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Aww, who changed "Location Descriptors" to "Humidity"? I was proud of that one.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
What a fantastic thread idea

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

AmiYumi posted:

Aww, who changed "Location Descriptors" to "Humidity"? I was proud of that one.

Me. You can change it back if you want. I was trying to get the Place table to do something too ambitious for what we're up to here.

Edit: There's still 5 slots in the d100 setting table, if people want to fill them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm glad people continued my 70's and 80's high school ideas; I was going to put in 90's Family-Friendly High myself but I didn't want to fill in more than my share.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
This sounds ace.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I think we filled all the tables.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
We filled all the tables, yeah.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

jon joe posted:

We filled all the tables, yeah.

We're still working on names. We need to make a chart for place names.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I can't tell if this was a great idea, or if I just like filling tables.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker

AmiYumi posted:

I can't tell if this was a great idea, or if I just like filling tables.

Yes.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Oh god do we really need 20 of each place name?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

FiddlersThree posted:

Oh god do we really need 20 of each place name?
You are right, we need more.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Okay, I think we're done now.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Grey Hunter save us from this eternal tablemaking

(Edit: So that we can make NEW tables, I mean)

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

The tables are getting out of control.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Skyrim's item database got nothing on this.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Are...are we done?

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
How long is it until the tables gain sentience and kill us all?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
We can just keep making new tables until Grey Hunter updates!

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Better wait for an update first, and let Grey Hunter say what tables are actually needed.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Jvie posted:

Better wait for an update first, and let Grey Hunter say what tables are actually needed.

I disagree. Let us consult the tables.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Whoever is helping me on the random number generation table you are doing the lord's work.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

MildManeredManikin posted:

Whoever is helping me on the random number generation table you are doing the lord's work.

Guilty.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 17, 2014

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have absolutely no idea what happened here but I love it and I am going to print these out and use them for my gaming group's Nerd Christmas celebration

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Is there a Table of Tables yet?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Welcome to the world of (Actual Place Names) Utopia Great. This is a world where sufficiently advanced science has been confused with magic.
People go around their day to day business without realising they are living on a planet that has been abandoned by a once powerful interstellar empire.

On Utopia Great (Races, 3 rolled for) Shoemaker Elves live alongside ((Anthropomorphization of Household Object table)Moe Anthropomorphized Fleshlights and Regular Earth Squirrels.

This story starts in the (Large Scale Locations) Huge Palace of (Mostly mixed races name table) [Location Environment] City.

Here, (Race) (Name, Independent Big Person Roll Human name) Micheal Gauss, leader of the Hivemind Bugs, and (Head of State)A good celebrity and (Race) (Romucan name) Worf(REAL head of state), a Romucan clueless guy following instructions from an ancient prophecy, have just learned that the evil (Race) (Criminal Career) Shadow Eater Assassin (Shadow eater Name) Dolan has begun (Evil Plot) to move following the death of the Great Protector.

His (Evil plot again) desire for riches has led him to send his (Race) Rubyions (Sentient floating ruby crystals) into the countryside around [Location Environment] City to Just mug TONS of people - plundering the countryside. the Rubyons have sided with Dolan to attempt to free thier kin trapped in the vaults of The Great Protector’s vaults, and woe betide anyone found with a precious gem on their purpose.

Micheal Gauss and Worf, as rulers of [Location Environment] City, have a difficult decision to make. How to they respond? The Shoemaker elves are not warriors, and the Fleshlighters are….. let be polite here and call them a service industry. The Great Protector loved two things it seems. And the Squirrels are of no real use unless nuts need storing.

A difficult choice needs to be made.

:bravo: Goons, :bravo:

In one (small) update we have created a race of walking sex toys and precious gems that steal from people Russian reversal style!

So, on to the difficult choice. Now, some, terrible, None Simulationist GMs would call on the players or even (gasp) the PC’s! not here! I need a table to roll on.

Please use this worksheet to create any decision tables you wish to make. One table should be dedicated to the task at hand. You could be random, or remember that the choices are being made by a hivemind celebrity (I’m not even sure how that works) and a guy blindly following an ancient prophecy.

Next up, I think it would help if you made some tables for the creation of GMPC’s. As we all know a good GMPC prevents the players from disrupting your campaign, having the skills needed to push the plot forward and prevent the terrible disease of Murderhoboism. In fact, we need GMPC’s so good that they preclude the need for PC’s at all!

Please supply tables here GMPC’s will need a class, and that should have bonuses/negatives to various activities. GMPC level will be generated with a D20, and that level will be the strength of the bonus. Multiclassing is allowed.

Finally, Quest Tables - these should relate to the actual going on a quest - threats, traps, locations, loot. You know what to do.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Well, it's better than Twilight, at least.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I've made a table for rolling classes. I'm not sure if it is clear how it works, or if it's what you intended. After rolling a class, move to table 2 and find the class you've rolled. Then for every category, roll the listed number of dice to find out how many skills the character has in a certain category. Table 4 lists what those skills are. Table 3 and 5 do the same thing, but for weaknesses instead.

e: I think [Location Environment] means 'take a descriptor from both the location and environments' table, but the current name is much better.

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

e: I think [Location Environment] means 'take a descriptor from both the location and environments' table, but the current name is much better.

Yeah, it sounds like a corrupt file or something, so I stuck with it. :)

I've also pretty much decided who the Great Protector was, so I'll spout lore on that in the next post.

• Locked thread