Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uthor posted:

Fyi, the nerd plan is for new accounts only. You won't be able to transfer a TMobile number to that plan without jumping through hoops.

(I don't think this has changed since I signed up)

Those hoops can be as simple as paying a $20 Google Voice porting fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

eddiewalker posted:

Those hoops can be as simple as paying a $20 Google Voice porting fee.

So to clarify, I port to T-Mobile postpaid, wait 1 month, port to GV, then port to the $30 nerd plan through Walmart?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

FlyingCheese posted:

So to clarify, I port to T-Mobile postpaid, wait 1 month, port to GV, then port to the $30 nerd plan through Walmart?

I think he means start a new Tmobile account/#, port the old number you want to keep over to GV, then forward GV calls to your new TM number.

Edit: actually, I just realized what you are trying to do. What deal are you seeing? The only way I can see is the zero down deal, which you would have to pay off if you cancel?

Manifest Dynasty fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 1, 2014

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Can someone please break it down for me like I'm a child, how to get to the page to add that 1gb of data? I just hit my cap and for the life of me cannot find it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nerve posted:

Can someone please break it down for me like I'm a child, how to get to the page to add that 1gb of data? I just hit my cap and for the life of me cannot find it.

Go here and log into your account: https://my.t-mobile.com/
Click on the Plans tab at the top.
There should be a "Add Data Pass" link under your phone number partway down the page.

You should be presented with a few different options for daily/weekly passes.

Edit: I'm not sure that will work on the actual phone though. T-Mo might shove you through a mobile portal that changes where things are.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 1, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FlyingCheese posted:

You can either temporarily port to GV then hop to $30T-Mobile prepaid, or just port to GV long-term and take a new random number when you go prepaid.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I would recommend porting the number to GV and then signing up with a new number for tmobile dork plan. If you start using google voice on android for calls it only uses data, sounds much better than cellular, and doesn't count towards your minutes. Basically its unlimited minutes. It uses a very small amount of data and when on wifi it doesn't count towards your 5gb at all. I have been very happy with it.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Quick question! I may have access to an ATT iPhone 5 and was wondering what the steps are to make it work on T-Mobile's prepaid bands. I presume I'll need an unlock code from ATT themselves, but what else? Just pop in my current sim? What data bands will be supported?

Edit: I'm sure this has been answered many times before, so forgive me! Cursory searching leads me to believe that 3g and possibly HSPA+?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

eddiewalker posted:

You can either temporarily port to GV then hop to $30T-Mobile prepaid, or just port to GV long-term and take a new random number when you go prepaid.

I am also doing this for my mother so I'd like it to be as simple as possible for her, probably going to ultimately port over the numbers to Tmo. Less headaches I have to deal with the better.

Manifest Dynasty posted:

I think he means start a new Tmobile account/#, port the old number you want to keep over to GV, then forward GV calls to your new TM number.

Edit: actually, I just realized what you are trying to do. What deal are you seeing? The only way I can see is the zero down deal, which you would have to pay off if you cancel?

You can choose to pay for the phones up front instead. It's near the top of the Checkout page but it doesn't exactly stand out. I missed it until the Chat rep pointed it out to me. Nexus 6 for $601.99 for Cyber Monday.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 1, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MC Hawking posted:

Quick question! I may have access to an ATT iPhone 5 and was wondering what the steps are to make it work on T-Mobile's prepaid bands. I presume I'll need an unlock code from ATT themselves, but what else? Just pop in my current sim? What data bands will be supported?

Edit: I'm sure this has been answered many times before, so forgive me! Cursory searching leads me to believe that 3g and possibly HSPA+?

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/41077

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MC Hawking posted:

It'll depend when it was manufactured. iPhones 5 from before the T-Mobile model was released will only work on T-Mobile 2G and LTE, but not HSPA+ while ones from after will work on HSPA+, as well. Apple lists fully compatible serial numbers here so see if you can get that before buying if LTE is spotty in your area.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Good to know, thanks for the clarification guys! I'll be back if I manage to gently caress it up, rest assured.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Go here and log into your account: https://my.t-mobile.com/
Click on the Plans tab at the top.
There should be a "Add Data Pass" link under your phone number partway down the page.

You should be presented with a few different options for daily/weekly passes.

Edit: I'm not sure that will work on the actual phone though. T-Mo might shove you through a mobile portal that changes where things are.

My https://my.t-mobile.com looks nothing like yours

Here's mine:

So that's rad

Must be because I'm on the nerd plan.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Dunno but click that plans and services button at the bottom right if your screen shot. Anything in there about data passes?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Nothing I can find.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
So, with the referral promo ending on 12/9, I'm trying get both my lines set up with unlimited data for a year. I got the primary line set up with a referral but when I try to register the 2nd line, it says the "email address has been used." I try to log in with that email address and it says, "no account with that email address" :confused:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Okay I have a quick question.

I'm currently a T-Mobile customer on one of the old legacy plans. So I'm "on contract." And I just came into possession of a Z3 Compact unlocked smartphone.

Basically, I just buy a nano sim from T-Mobile? Stick it in the phone? And then activate it through my online account?

So I could walk into a Walmart or wharves and just buy the sim there?

Edit: does it matter if the package says "Tablet Nano Sim?"

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 7, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why don't you just go to a corporate T-Mobile store and get one there? If you're on contract, they should be able to swap it out for free.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Also an excellent plan

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

So I bought a Note 3 from T-Mobile during the Black Friday 100$ off thing. There are a few folders built into the app tray by default...is there no way I can modify these? Like there's a Google folder with stuff like Chrome and the play store in it, and I'd love to be able to move the Hangouts dialer app in there. Same with wanting to get rid of the T-Mobile one that has a bunch of T-Mo apps I'll never use (save for visual voicemail).

I bet I'm stuck unless I want to root or run another launcher, eh?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

esperantinc posted:

So I bought a Note 3 from T-Mobile during the Black Friday 100$ off thing. There are a few folders built into the app tray by default...is there no way I can modify these? Like there's a Google folder with stuff like Chrome and the play store in it, and I'd love to be able to move the Hangouts dialer app in there. Same with wanting to get rid of the T-Mobile one that has a bunch of T-Mo apps I'll never use (save for visual voicemail).

I bet I'm stuck unless I want to root or run another launcher, eh?

You can't just drag it in there? Only reason I can think of that you wouldn't be able to is if the folder is too full.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I cannot. There's room in the folders for sure. I can't even move an app icon out of the folder and into the main tray.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

esperantinc posted:

I cannot. There's room in the folders for sure. I can't even move an app icon out of the folder and into the main tray.
Hold and drag doesn't work?
Does it work with other folders on that bar?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

ilkhan posted:

Hold and drag doesn't work?
Does it work with other folders on that bar?

Now I feel dumb because I neglected to try to "edit" the app drawer pages which manipulates these folders, including the default ones I couldn't change. Dope!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

2 lines of unlimited everything for $100? Yes please!

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Good timing since I recently added my brother to my plan and we roughly pay $100 for unlimited data and 3GB of tethering for me and 1GB for him. If we switch, my brother may end up paying more for his plan but unlimited data and 5GB of tethering for $50 per line? :flashfap:

My only concern is that if my brother ever decides to leave for another carrier, I doubt I can go back to my current $70 unlimited data with 3GB of tethering and I don't know if I can justify the $10 bump for the additional tethering cap. Especially since T-Mobile doesn't seem to properly measure how much data I'm actually getting through tethering. I've used about 5GB of tethered data over the past month according to my phone yet T-Mobile hasn't counted a single bit against my tethered data allotment. Although that could be because of some unusual settings and setup of my phone (an unlocked Rogers version of the Lumia 920) that inadvertently misreports my tethered data usage. If getting a T-Mobile specific device does fix the issue, though, then I guess I have no choice but to go with the additional tethered data.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Edward IV posted:

Good timing since I recently added my brother to my plan and we roughly pay $100 for unlimited data and 3GB of tethering for me and 1GB for him. If we switch, my brother may end up paying more for his plan but unlimited data and 5GB of tethering for $50 per line? :flashfap:

My only concern is that if my brother ever decides to leave for another carrier, I doubt I can go back to my current $70 unlimited data with 3GB of tethering and I don't know if I can justify the $10 bump for the additional tethering cap. Especially since T-Mobile doesn't seem to properly measure how much data I'm actually getting through tethering. I've used about 5GB of tethered data over the past month according to my phone yet T-Mobile hasn't counted a single bit against my tethered data allotment. Although that could be because of some unusual settings and setup of my phone (an unlocked Rogers version of the Lumia 920) that inadvertently misreports my tethered data usage. If getting a T-Mobile specific device does fix the issue, though, then I guess I have no choice but to go with the additional tethered data.
Switch to the new plan. Worry about your brother leaving later.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Just got the Gear S Watch. Loving it. T-Mobile basically gave it to me for 0% financing through the installment plan. Also, it's only $5/month for service. That's awesome.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Just a heads up, the 4 lines with 10GB is back as well as a new promotion that includes unlimited everything for 2 lines for $100. If you have an existing account you can be changed over to these. The only thing with the unlimited eveything for $100 plan is that any subsequent lines HAVE to be $40/mo and will include everything unlimited as well. You can't pick any lower tiers.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Neat Uncarrier 8 is rollover data*

*does not apply to data match on tablets
*does not apply to 1GB phone high speed plans
*does not apply to 5GB hotspot bits on plans with unlimited 4G phone data

Well, I guess all those people on 3GB/5GB plans shared with hotspot will be happy.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 16, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Neat, my tablet with 1GB is gonna be eligible for this. I was considering going down to the 200mb plan but now I am probably gonna maintain the plan to have a bunch of data built up for if I travel.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Any chance all these people signing up for unlimited data going to drastically slow down the network? I mean, Sprint did that and look where it got them...

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Qwijib0 posted:

Why even bother?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

FlyingCheese posted:

Any chance all these people signing up for unlimited data going to drastically slow down the network? I mean, Sprint did that and look where it got them...

T-mobile has been lighting up enough LTE to keep pace thus far and they have unused 700Mhz or AWS spectrum in a lot of major markets that isn't built out yet. As long as they keep investing in infrastructure at the current pace they will keep up with adds for the foreseeable future. Despite its user growth T-Mobile's frequency holdings to subscriber ratio is still very good compared to VZW and ATT, because they're at half the users with almost 3/4 the spectrum.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

Neat, my tablet with 1GB is gonna be eligible for this. I was considering going down to the 200mb plan but now I am probably gonna maintain the plan to have a bunch of data built up for if I travel.

That is definitely not the reason why Sprint sucks. Sprint had horseshit outdated infrastructure and whored it all to MVNOs.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Sprint is LITERALLY the worst.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Qwijib0 posted:

*does not apply to data match on tablets
*does not apply to 5GB hotspot bits on plans with unlimited 4G phone data

Well, I guess all those people on 3GB/5GB plans shared with hotspot will be happy.

I have the $60 3 GB plan so this is great news for me :buddy:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I just switched to the $50 simple mobile plan from the nerd plan. Now I get to debate switching up a notch. $10 to triple my full speed data and add rollover aint bad. I need to see how much data I end up using.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Reading the FAQ on the data rollover thing... Canny figure out if I can upgrade to a 3GB plan for a month, get my 10GB of roll over data, and downgrade back to my 1GB plan.

Edit: looks like that is a negative

If you change the amount of 4G LTE data on your plan within 3-21GB, you will not lose any stashed data. For example, if you have 5GB of 4G LTE data on your Simple Choice plan and you move up to 7GB or down to 3GB you will not lose your Data Stash. However, if you change from say 5GB to Unlimited 4G LTE or to 1GB, your stashed data will not be saved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's a really clever way of attaching people to a plan, especially with the 10G free. Giving something of value up is hard.