Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

SLOSifl posted:

I sometimes wear an Android watch and this makes it super convenient.

Sadly Nest control doesn't work with Android Wear. I really don't understand any of the rhyme or reason why they choose what subset of Google Now works with Wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Sadly Nest control doesn't work with Android Wear. I really don't understand any of the rhyme or reason why they choose what subset of Google Now works with Wear.
Well poo poo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

SLOSifl posted:

Well poo poo.

The odd thing is, and don't judge me but I use a Chromebook. My work is on Google Apps, my personal stuff is on Drive/Gmail/Chrome, I like having a cheap laptop that I just don't give a poo poo about. Anyways, it's totally integrated into Google Now everywhere including the Chromebook but not Wear, stupid.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Dyslex1c posted:

zwave Intermatic pool control kit

Holy poo poo same. Are you just doing that 220 contactor that will contol 2 circuits? What's the goto for an outdoor light switch (for my pool light)? Somehow, buying the zwave box and the micasaverde is cheaper than a timer that will do 2 circuits w/ freeze protection. Can I program it to run if the overnight low is supposed to dip below freezing, or if it's particularly windy or raining?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

If I were to buy a smartlock, it should work like VW's keyless system. As in when I touch the door handle, it'll look for the key transponder, unlock if found and actually let me actuate the door handle.

The Kevo smart lock is the only lock I know of that operates like that, and I'm with you, that's exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately it does not operate with Wink unlike Kwikset's other smart locks.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I think i am going to go with smart things. They seem to have a nice interface and a fair selection of products.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Oops wrong thread.

Nohearum fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 24, 2015

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

edit: forgot I posted already.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 29, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is it expected to have a WeMo switch power off after firmware update? I have one switch which I assumed was defective because it would "randomly" shut off, but I've been playing around with the replacement and that one shuts off after a firmware update is complete. I'm assuming this is expected behavior? Is there some way to disable that behavior? Or at least set a rule to automatically turn it back on?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Is there any good way to add multiple e-mail addresses to the 'notification' list for Nest? It's linked to my Google account, which is fine, but it would be really nice if my wife could get notifications as well (at least for "emergency" events like smoke/CO alarms)

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Hubis posted:

Is there any good way to add multiple e-mail addresses to the 'notification' list for Nest? It's linked to my Google account, which is fine, but it would be really nice if my wife could get notifications as well (at least for "emergency" events like smoke/CO alarms)

Use a unique + address and setup a gmail forwarding rule.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Maybe someone will know something about this, because I sure don't and a ton of googling has lead me nowhere. Security Systems seems like the thread to ask in.

I just moved into a new home and I think the last guy was kind of paranoid. The place is wired with, according to the last owner, 47 cameras that were monitored by ADT, and it really isn't that big of a house to warrant that many. I honestly can count about 18, so I don't know if he was making poo poo up or if there's literally 25 something cameras that I can't find.

Point being, many of them are iCamera-1000-ADT models. They look fairly modern and can be bought on Amazon, but I can't figure out a loving thing about how to configure them, or if I even can do anything with them at all thanks to the -ADT part. Is it possible to configure/use these without contacting/hiring ADT, or no?

edit: And assuming that these are useless without ADT, any suggestions on indoor home internet-enabled cameras? Preferably ones that allow browser-viewing from an iPad and/or an app that sends alerts when motion is detected.

edit 2: Actually, my house has the ADT Pulse thing still here and wired, it seems. Any way to connect to this without paying ADT? I don't want any monitoring, just to be able to look at the camera.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 6, 2015

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I don't know about the ADT thing, but almost all "IP Cams" these days (the ones that hook into your network) are viewable over a browser. For my home, I just bought a handful of cameras like this one and then forwarded ports on my router so I could view them over my phone. I've purchased a few different ones over the years, so I have a mismash of cameras.

Most manufacturers have their own apps for viewing/recording their own cameras, but there are a couple other bits of third party software that let you hook up multiple cameras and view them in one place. I used ZoneMinder for a bit, but it was kinda of crappy. I eventually switched to BlueIris, which isn't free ($40) but has a really nice mobile app and does motion detection pretty well.

So basically my "Home security system" is SmartThings coupled with these cameras. If my phone gets a SmartThings alert that a door opens while I'm away, I'll take a look at my cameras to see who's there. If someone really is breaking into my house, I'll see them on the camera and can decide to call 911 on my own.

EDIT: My experience with ADT sensors is that they're not compatible with other systems. ADT wants to make money, not adopt open standards. That MAY not be the case with you, but I've chatted with a handful of people and every time, they had to buy new sensors.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I poked around some more and figured out that you need to configure the things via PoE from ADT's instructions. I don't have a PoE supportive router or PC but the instructions said there was a "y-connector" you can use, and the cameras have the power supply. So I ordered one of the connectors on Amazon for $6.

Guess I'll find out on Sunday if they work or not. If they don't work without ADT Pulse, there's a few up on eBay being sold for ~$30 each so I'll just pull them down, sell them, and buy new ones.

The D-Link DCS-930L you linked, do you like it? I don't need it to do much, just wanted to set up something basic indoors near my entrances.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Ironically I don't own that one. I have a Foscam I got during a sale, some Cisco one, and a higher-end D-Link. Honestly, all 3 work almost exactly the same. The Foscam has PTZ (which I never use) and the D-Link has night-vision (I always leave a light on), so it doesn't make much difference to me.

If I were you, I'd buy that D-Link I linked, since it's only $30. Give it a try for a bit, and if you like it, you can buy more. If not, you're out $30, no big deal.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. As mentioned I can sell the iCamera-1000-ADTs for about that much, so I'd basically break even by getting those instead. I'll play around with the y-connector when it comes in Sunday, but if not I'll just snag one of those. Thanks for the help.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If all the cat5 connectors terminate in the same place a POE injector passthrough is cheap and just sits where the ends of the cables are.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yep, it does, and that's exactly what I did. Got one on amazon for like $6. Works beautiful and, despite my initial thoughts, the -ADT version of the iCamera-1000 has no special firmware and works just the same as a "real" iCamera, just needed to be configured via cable first. Now I have them all ready to go with wifi, and I've already set up iSpy to work with them and record on motion capture, just for fun.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 9, 2015

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Here's a quandary I'm having at the the moment. I'm in a new place in a new neighborhood and I have been planning on getting the 2.0 SmartThings setup when it ships in "Quarter 2." However, my immediate neighborhood has been experiencing a bit of an uptick in daytime burglaries over the last month and I'm getting antsy.

Would it be worth getting a Dropcam Pro and setting that up to view the main room and using their cloud recording as a interim should the worst happen,

OR

Get a SmartThings kit set up now and just upgrade the hub when the 2.0 comes out.

I'm experiencing a bit of paralysis by analysis, going between the two products and hoping for a small injection of info or opinion to knock me out of my stasis.

Thanks!

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
The Dropcam will integrate with a SmartThings setup you buy later, so I vote you get that for now and keep using it after you build out your ST setup.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

syphon posted:

The Dropcam will integrate with a SmartThings setup you buy later, so I vote you get that for now and keep using it after you build out your ST setup.

That's a very good point. Welp, stasis broken. Thanks!

[random date in Quarter 2] cannot come soon enough. I want to play with ST 2.0!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looking to throw a few z-wave light switches into my new condo rental. Long term plan would probably be to replace the thermostat with something that can be controlled by my geofenced location as well.

Is there any real advantage to picking SmartThings over Vera today?

I was kind of skittish over the fact that these are web services so outages could be a concern, but then again if I have to go flip my light switch on by hand or turn my thermostat up when I get home that's not a disaster. I had some grand plans for intergating a smartlock but that I *am* kind of skittish about -- a remote web service having access to let people into my home. If I do go with the smartlock I may go with a simple bluetooth one that isn't connected to smarthome or vera or whatever.

Is there a halfway solution, where a door lock can notify smartthings/whatever if it's unlocked, but not grant access to the actual unlocking to the web service?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If you don't mind rolling your own, there are a few open-source and free HA packages out there that will run on multiple platforms. Domoticz, HomeGene, and OpenHAB come to mind. Though OpenHAB is more of a framework with multiple GUIs available.

The three I mentioned happen to work on the Raspberry PI 2, so I got one and have been playing around with Domoticz (http://domoticz.com/) and Z-Wave using a Aeon Labs USB Z-Wave stick. Its actually pretty easy to get started. Download the pre-made RPi SD card image, flash it to your SD card, and then boot the Pi. It doesn't rely on a external web service, works with most Z-Wave devices, and the interface is simple. The automation aspect of it can be programmed using a drag & drop if/then block style interface, or LUA script if so desired.

Only have a single door sensor and plug-in switch module right now.

I am also going to give HomeGenie a try...

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Semi related, I realised my vera is less web dependent than I thought it was after a router outage recently.
I wouldn't have been able to control anything from my phone, but everything that was z-wave based, remotes, lamps etc all carried on working regardless.
So my thermostat was still talking to my boiler and all my scheduling (lights + heating) in Vera carried on too.

Pretty glad about it actually, because I wasnt at home at the time and my wife would have been sat there in the dark and cold otherwise...

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
To secure my tiny apartment, I'm using a camera with PIR sensor (reliable movement detection unlike image analysis): Vivotek IP8133W, after having a lot of problems with a lovely D-Link one.
Upon detection, it sends me 3 pics of the event by email, and stores a high quality video on my NAS.
It also does not constantly use bandwidth unlike dropcams (seriously, how is that even a thing, 150 gigs a month per camera, really ?)
The NAS is synced in real time to cloud storage (free), in case whoever broke in would decides to steal it...
It's not perfect (strong sun shining directly on the Pir sensor sometimes triggers it, as do spiders / insects getting in front of it, but this happens maybe twice per year or so).
I had the output of the camera hooked to a relay to switch a lamp on whenever something happened, but it was not very discreet, and a PIR switch for the main ceiling lamp turned out to be much easier and brighter.
I can remontely log into the camera to see what's going on if needed too, which is never.

At my parent's house, I setup a https://ninjablocks.com/ system with several PIR sensors and magnetics switches + 2 cams and it's really nice too, but much more complex to setup.
They can however remotely empty the rainwater tank if it gets too full, and control the heating system so it's not cold when they come back from holidays for example.

gently caress subscription-based services...

edit: some details about the lovely D-Link cam. It had an infrared light (Vivotek mentioned above has a white one) that automatically switches on when it gets dark. Nice, right ? Well no, since it was on even if the PIR sensor was not triggered and was getting uncomfortably hot, and also would, every time it switched on or off, trigger the PIR sensor, sending me an alarm about a potential break-in...

Spatule fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 19, 2015

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
The reliance on a web server is a disadvantage of SmartThings, I'd say. The advantage to it is that you get things like mail or text or push notifications for "free", but it's drat annoying when your internet connection (or even their website) goes down and you can't disable your alarm before going in the front door.

It's only happened to me once, but I had to go down and unplug the siren because I couldn't disable it. The various sensors DO keep working, like MeKeV mentioned above. I still got notifications whenever a door opened, but I couldn't set the alarm back in "home" mode to stop them until the site came back up.

Overall this sounds really annoying, but it's only happened once since I installed the system almost a year ago.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I don't know if this is the right area to ask, but can anyone recommend an good security camera, even if it hooks up to a PC?

We've been having a lot of petty theft in my parking area and someone stole the vent grills from my lower bumper. I'd like to at least be able to capture something, perhaps get lucky and see a license plate number.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I'd recommend buying a Wireless camera from Newegg or Amazon, and setting up on motion-detection on it so it records when it sees motion. Most cameras have this feature these days.

Here's an example (not necessarily the best or cheapest, just the first that popped up in a search): http://www.amazon.com/TENVIS-JPT381...31022334&sr=1-1

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

No. 6 posted:

I don't know if this is the right area to ask, but can anyone recommend an good security camera, even if it hooks up to a PC?

We've been having a lot of petty theft in my parking area and someone stole the vent grills from my lower bumper. I'd like to at least be able to capture something, perhaps get lucky and see a license plate number.

Unless you have the camera mounted at car level you're not going to read a plate. Cameras are good at letting you recognize people you know, a lot less good for anything else.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Unless you have the camera mounted at car level you're not going to read a plate. Cameras are good at letting you recognize people you know, a lot less good for anything else.

Nah, license plates are retroreflective and modern LPR cameras can work well at up to 45 degrees off axis. These cameras are specially designed for that purpose, though and cost $thousands. Also they're only good for license plates. You need another camera for everything else. And they only work in a very small area - you need a bottleneck like a driveway to force the cars through...

...Yeah, for all intents and purposes, you're pretty much right. Carry on.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for Cameras and DVR software? I'd prefer wireless to minimize how much I have to do. I'm stuck with DSL so Dropcam is not an option for me. Something that I can run the baby monitor, back, front, and maybe side-house cameras off of and still access remotely from time-to-time would be awesome.

Hikvision + Blue Iris?
Foscam?
Ubiquiti?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
BlueIris isn't free, but I really like it. It aggregates all of your cameras into a single view, has a decent mobile app, and provides all the usual Motion Detection, alarms, and notifications you'd expect.

Foscam or Dropcam seem like they can do the same thing, but BlueIris will work with nearly ANY camera you can by. I've assorted a collection (well, 3 so far) of random IP cameras over the years and they all work just fine with BlueIris.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
So Samsung/SmartThings just announced they're finally going to roll out the v2 of their hub.

On the same day Google announced a new router/wifi combo with Weave support, but of course, no information on home automation as part of that.

Anyone using the v1 SmartThings hub? How is the app/support for the system? Does it play nicely with the Nest?

I'm tempted to pickup the v2 hub to get a toe in the water, but another part of me says wait another year for things to shake out.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Anyone used arlo security camera stuff. A family member asked me to look into this for them and I have no idea about home security stuff.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I was just dabbling with using Blue Iris and some cheap POE Cameras to setup a home video setup. I think with some leg work (getting the networking gear into the attic and setting up the cameras) you could get a nice round-the-house view of everything and recording on a normal desktop.

That being said, I was just looking for a baby cam, so I grabbed a Foscam C1, blocked the IP at my router, and installed an app on my phone to view the RTSP stream.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I use BlueIris + various IPCams for pet-watching while we're at work.

BlueIris is ok software. It aggregates all the cameras and has a nice mobile app. The only pain in the butt is that the cameras still need to have power, so I have cameras hung up on the walls and power cables dangling down to the nearest outlets. Short of drilling holes in the ceiling and running extension cords through the attic, I'm not sure there's much I can do to make it look better.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hue integrates with Nest now. Hopefully a sign of more similar integrations. I have just enough different devices now that having them all talk is important. I'd like my lights to come on if it's dark out and my smart lock opens, etc.

quote:

Nest and Philips hue have started by allowing you to leave home worry-free by turning the lights off as you leave and mimicking your presence when you are gone and by syncing your hue lighting to your Nest Protect alarms.

From here:
https://nest.meethue.com

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any go-to HomeKit enabled power plug yet? I've got two strings of lights that are inconveniently located so I have to reach around things to turn them on. I'd love to be able to do it with my iPhone but I haven't really kept up with HomeKit products.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I was looking into surveillance cameras because where I'm moving to is known to have people traspass into backyards and steal stuff. Is there some kind of IP cam standard, or are there a million disparate ones? I was perusing Amazon for wifi-enabled cameras, and you've got ones that work with a D-Link app, Nest app, Samsung, etc. Do any share a protocol I can stream to one server and/or app with?

I was thinking of just saying "gently caress it" and setting up some old webcams with Motion or Zoneminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Yeah, there's an ONVIF standard for ip cameras that ensures interopability with NVRs. A lot of the newer cloud ones like Nest and Samsung are using custom tcp, but if you look at hikvision/dahua/swann etc they should all be able to stream by accessing via rtsp or http. The urls may be different but apps like tinycam keep a giant database of camera models so you just type it in and it knows where to go.

Personally I'd go with Hikvision (or LaView, one of their US rebrand distributors), as they have good software and image quality.

Edit: just be sure you get the US versions of them, as they do sell chinese ones as well. Foscam is alright too, with some new models out that are okay but not great.

Next-Gen fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 14, 2015