Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Splode posted:

One feature request I'd like is to see where the kerbin fly-over mission coordinates are before I accept the contract.

I was disgruntled about that, too, but when I looked in the Tracking Station, I found that all survey contracts on offer are displayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Orv posted:

People playing a video game who aren't actual rocket scientists?

I'm talking about actual rocket scientists. No one is going to launch a space ship and then not know how to plan a maneuver in advance.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I'm talking about actual rocket scientists. No one is going to launch a space ship and then not know how to plan a maneuver in advance.

Ohhhh, reading comprehension failure, sorry.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Orv posted:

People playing a video game who aren't actual rocket scientists?

I think that's his point - shouldn't maneuver nodes come earlier (even right away) since the Kerbals can presumably do at least that much math?

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I was disgruntled about that, too, but when I looked in the Tracking Station, I found that all survey contracts on offer are displayed.

Yeah, this is important to note if you're wanting info about contracts (satellite contract orbits are also shown). It is an awkward way of getting that info, though.

Splode posted:

The tech tree part order is also really starting to show it's weirdness. I'd kill for plane parts and probes early game. I'm getting the impression Squad is following the progression of KSP's development when they should probably be following the progression of actual space programs. There were a LOT of probes on the moon before there was a crewed mission, and new players are probably going to expect that.

I'm with you on plane parts. For one thing, not having them makes doing some surveys weirdly hard. For another, I just like being able to build a plane and cruise around as a change of pace from rockets. After installing FAR and really digging into planes I've found them to be at least as much fun if not moreso than going to space, so it's a pain that it takes so long to unlock so many of their parts.

I'm pretty neutral on probes, though. It might more realistically mirror the development of human spaceflight to have probes first, but who's to say Kerbals would do it that way? I can totally see them just hopping on top of the first rockets they build to see what happens. Why let a computer have all the fun?! Then probes come later as an afterthought to do certain boring tasks a Kerbal wouldn't be interested in (controlling satellites and tugs and stuff).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Doesn't seem to show where KSC is, though. :(

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Honestly, who is going to launch a space mission without knowing how to figure out maneuvers?

Me, from initial release to a few weeks ago? Well, I knew about manoeuvres, but had never used a manoeuvre node beforehand. Early KSP eyeballing things taught me some really bad habits.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Splode posted:

It does seem a bit weird to restrict nodes that late. Really, you should have them before you're expected to go to the mun. As has been said, not everyone is a 0.10 veteran who remembers that you can point at the Mun and burn from orbit and you'll get an intercept. The tech tree part order is also really starting to show it's weirdness. I'd kill for plane parts and probes early game. I'm getting the impression Squad is following the progression of KSP's development when they should probably be following the progression of actual space programs. There were a LOT of probes on the moon before there was a crewed mission, and new players are probably going to expect that.

I thought a tech tree rework to make probes available earlier was one of the features in 0.90. Am I going insane? I could have sworn Maxmaps posted about that at some point.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Concise but useful OPs, thanks Thwomp. :)

Have not played the new version yet, but making it have more of a feeling of ~progression~ is a huge selling point on taking another look at it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I normally park a rover/command pod somewhere to serve as a permanent marker, It'd be nice if you could build/toggle on a beacon though, especially when you're spinning the world trying to judge how achievable some survey contracts are and lose your place.

I'm enjoying the pilot skills more than I thought I would when I first heard about the system, they're useful enough that I haven't levelled up Bill and Bob yet... Now I've done a munar flyby I should probably at least put them in orbit to see what they get at their first level up.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
I logged in to the save game I started yesterday and all my buildings have spontaneously been upgraded to level 3 (they were a mix of 1 and 2 when I finished playing). Is anyone else getting this? I assume it's a bug.

Edit: This seems to have something to do with the 64bit version.

Edit 2: It seems that I made the original save with the 32bit version, then when I switched (steam was acting up today for me so I opened KSP from the install folder) it broke. Opening with the 32bit version fixed the issue.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 17, 2014

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I am playing on custom settings somewhere between medium and hard, and I had a bit of a lull to start with, but now that I've unlocked solar panels, I'm getting satellite contracts at ~$80k a pop. A sputnik core + LV909 + medium sized 1.5m tank has 4K Delta V, and can be boosted into orbit pretty easily without exceeding 30 parts, though it may require the first launch pad upgrade.

Splode posted:

It does seem a bit weird to restrict nodes that late. Really, you should have them before you're expected to go to the mun.

The Mun predates the maneuver node system, and is intentionally positioned so that you can actually just burn prograde when it appears over the horizon in low Kerbin orbit. :science:

Ciaphas posted:

About 3/4 of the way South on the Eastern coast of not-Africa. If you really wanna mark it you can shoot a command module up a couple of hundred meters and bring it down away from the launch pad. ^^^beaten.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
For those that asked stuff earlier...

Sounding rockets are part of my constellation :D I've been playing with them myself, got one to land in the middle of the desert.

And the stuff plays well with career - plays awesome if you use the community tech tree with it (that's what most of today was - making MM configs to use CTT vs stock).

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Splode posted:

...There were a LOT of probes on the moon before there was a crewed mission, and new players are probably going to expect that....

Yeah, the tech tree needs to be adjusted to reflect the building upgrades, especially considering the weight limitations. It it much easier to get a probe into orbit and on the Mun with a rocket under 18 tons than it is to get Jeb there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Clark Nova posted:

The Mun predates the maneuver node system, and is intentionally positioned so that you can actually just burn prograde when it appears over the horizon in low Kerbin orbit. :science:

I don't think it was designed that way, it was just a happy coincidence.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think it was designed that way, it was just a happy coincidence.

Nope! Mun is basically set up to be your tutorial. Minmus to a lesser degree as well.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

VodeAndreas posted:

I normally park a rover/command pod somewhere to serve as a permanent marker, It'd be nice if you could build/toggle on a beacon though, especially when you're spinning the world trying to judge how achievable some survey contracts are and lose your place.

Just plant a flag there.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So testing parts through the right click menu is out completely? This just made testing a whole lot harder. I guess they can only be completed through staging now?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

So testing parts through the right click menu is out completely? This just made testing a whole lot harder. I guess they can only be completed through staging now?

It's the same as it was before - if the part is in the staging diagram, you have to stage it, otherwise it's just the menu option.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

What does 'Maintain Stability for x seconds' mean for satellite contracts?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I've been playing with RemoteTech for so long that I had completely forgotten that the big red dot marking the location of KSC on the map isn't a stock thing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tenebrais posted:

It's the same as it was before - if the part is in the staging diagram, you have to stage it, otherwise it's just the menu option.

It's asking me to test the Lv45 and I could have sworn I've tested that before through the right click menu (while using it to get to the desired alt/speed) in the previous versions at least. Oh well, extra challenge i suppose

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 17, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I dunno why everyone's complaining about the new building models, they look fine to me. :smug:

For some reason my career mode is showing the top-level facilities, even though they're definitely low-level (no SAS, no maneuver nodes, etc). Is this a known bug? I'm running the 64-bit version, absolute clean install.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally got to try out 0.90 and...performance has tanked. :( Not sure if it's the new KSP version or the new 14.12 GPU drivers, but I'm getting stuttering when I move the camera around in the VAB and yellow physics even on something as small as the Kerbal X. I don't even have as many mods installed as I did on 0.25!

Also, antialiasing isn't working at all.

Tenebrais posted:

Not quite true, a lot of engines have it on the right-click menu anyways.

In any case, the contract text itself, if you expand the details, will tell you whether you need to stage it or use the context menu.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kinger posted:

Just plant a flag there.

Yeah, "just."

flag planting is locked behind a building upgrade

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If Procedural Fairings hasn't been updated to 0.9, using FAR is a bad idea right?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Is there a way to tell CKAN about an installed mod so it at least appears that way in the list even if it can't be updated with it? It's only finding a couple of mine and I have a lot more 0.90 mods installed.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Cubey posted:

Your orbit has to match the criteria (within a fairly generous tolerance level) for the set amount of time. Basically you can't use SRBs or something to fine tune the orbit unless you're really good.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If Procedural Fairings hasn't been updated to 0.9, using FAR is a bad idea right?

If you are playing Career Mode, you should be able to design functional FAR compatible craft, at least at the low tech levels. Once you have a bunch of science and electricity gear slapped on the outside, it may require fairings or even more creative designs.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

3 things that need to be sooner in the game IMO

Manuver Nodes - It's a staple of the game and people have been used to them for so long it's a pain to have them locked behind a gate
Plane wheels - the hangar is useless until you get these and there are a lot of the survey contracts which I presume is trying to push players into building planes
Solar Panels - Running out of power is such a kick in the balls it's unreal

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Why are the landing wheel so high in the hierarchy when the first plane parts aren't? makes no sense to me.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mustard_tiger posted:

Why are the landing wheel so high in the hierarchy when the first plane parts aren't? makes no sense to me.

Well you gotta fly first before you bother worrying about landing. What, do you think Kerbal Science makes advances by playing it safe?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

If you are playing Career Mode, you should be able to design functional FAR compatible craft, at least at the low tech levels. Once you have a bunch of science and electricity gear slapped on the outside, it may require fairings or even more creative designs.

If you have Universal Storage, it has a 'Science Bay' specifically designed to stick poo poo in so it's not all stuck to the outside of the craft. It's hypothetically supposed to be for science instruments but it works pretty well for batteries, antennae, and other radially-attached sticky bits.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Splode posted:

Apparently you MUST activate parts via the staging menu for part test contracts. Thank god the debug menu lets you delete or complete contracts.

You can also just create a new stage, move the engine into it, then mash space until the contract fires.

Cubey posted:

Not always, some of them you need to right-click them and select 'Run Test' instead. I do agree that's kinda dumb though, all part testing contracts should work via Run Test instead of through staging.

However, this shout be the default method of testing equipment.

You should also be able to accept those contracts while in the tracking station.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fucknag posted:

I dunno why everyone's complaining about the new building models, they look fine to me. :smug:

For some reason my career mode is showing the top-level facilities, even though they're definitely low-level (no SAS, no maneuver nodes, etc). Is this a known bug? I'm running the 64-bit version, absolute clean install.

Update: it's worse than I thought, right-clicking shows all facilities as level 3, but everything still acts like level 1 (only 2 contracts at a time, can't research above the 100 science tier of the tech tree, etc.) Guess it's back to 32-bit for me. :saddowns:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Kinger posted:

Just plant a flag there.

I'd have to unlock planting flags again first :v:

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Cubey posted:

That objective just means you need to essentially let go of your controls for ten seconds without your craft exploding. It's there to ensure that you are in a stable, controlled situation when the contract completes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What's the mod that saves individual mission history for your kerbals, and is it updated for 0.90?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

What's the mod that saves individual mission history for your kerbals, and is it updated for 0.90?

Final Frontier, and it's not updated but seems to be working anyways.

You can install it with ckan install FinalFrontier even though it doesn't show up in the list.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alright, another question: The contract says I need power and an antennae. I made a satellite with batteries and a communotron but that didn't count, which I didn't realize until I'd spent a while orbiting it. Do I specifically need solar panels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Solar panels or an RTG yep.

Someone earlier mentioned that they were tricked into thinking they qualified by having the box ticked by a launch stabiliser before they blasted off.

If you expand out the contract in the little contract window it should say what bits specifically your ship doesn't meet when it's on the pad etc. to save you getting a long way and having to revert/give up.