Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I can't help but get the impression that BJ Blazkowicz really doesn't like Nazis. I mean, why give that guy a swirly if you're just going to stab him anyway? :shepface:

IronSaber posted:

That perspective thing in the train part really weirded me out. Suddenly Bubi is way bigger than Engel, and then he's not. :stonk:

It took me a while to see that; I was more distracted by the other graphical glitches going on. I think it's just the usual edge-of-view distortion you get with a high decent FOV setting. I guess I'm sort of used to that myself; I can't play games with the console-game standard low-FOV; I get simulation sickness. Not to mention can't-see-poo poo-because-I-have-binoculars-glued-to-my-eyes sickness.

(:pcgaming:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Antistar01 posted:

I can't help but get the impression that BJ Blazkowicz really doesn't like Nazis. I mean, why give that guy a swirly if you're just going to stab him anyway? :shepface:

It took me a while to see that; I was more distracted by the other graphical glitches going on. I think it's just the usual edge-of-view distortion you get with a high decent FOV setting. I guess I'm sort of used to that myself; I can't play games with the console-game standard low-FOV; I get simulation sickness. Not to mention can't-see-poo poo-because-I-have-binoculars-glued-to-my-eyes sickness.

(:pcgaming:)

Yeah, I've found it disorienting to go back to games with a smaller fov. I don't get car or seasick, but apparently I get a little FOVsick from changing from one extreme to the other these days. I crank that poo poo as high as I can anymore. I want to see some stuff other than what I'm directly looking at if I'm not using iron sights. I can deal with weird edge-of-screen render issues.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
TO parry attacks in a face to face fight, hold right click after the fight starts.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Also, I was wrong. Bubi is just listed as Bubi in the art book. Next, the music from this section, including the spoilered bit from before.

Track 5: Frau Engel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1seOc6kNU

As mentioned before.

Track 8: Concrete for Miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvKp3Zxt3s

One of my favorite songs on the soundtrack, as heard when BJ is riding the bus into the prison. It's a grungy Nazi theme, feeling both oppressive and yet... toe-tappingly groovy?

Also, good one on that phone conversation. I didn't even know you could answer the phone. Learn something new every day!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I chuckled when I saw the Nazi dropping dead when the throwing knife simply ricochets off their body.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/Bubi

This website lists his name as Hans Winkle.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

insanityv2 posted:

http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/Bubi

This website lists his name as Hans Winkle.

Spoiler images in the link, click with caution.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well that was one of the more random sex scenes I've ever seen in a video game.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, did anyone else think that Bubi was just a really butch woman at first? I'm well aware of the nazi party's position on homosexuality, but the nazi image has been co-opted by so much fetish poo poo that the initial impression remains.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cythereal posted:

Well that was one of the more random sex scenes I've ever seen in a video game.

Two people who have experienced a lot of pain and tragedy in their lives, on an extremely stressful errand, take a brief moment of respite to enjoy each other's physical company? I'm not seeing it.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

McKilligan posted:

So, did anyone else think that Bubi was just a really butch woman at first? I'm well aware of the nazi party's position on homosexuality, but the nazi image has been co-opted by so much fetish poo poo that the initial impression remains.

Well to be honest, when I first saw Engel and Bubi my first thought was that the game was going for the hoary old trope of using unconventional sexuality to demonize the villains. I mean, on the train we see the the authoritarian Engel being serviced by the effeminate Bubi, which is immediately contrasted with the "traditional" sexuality of BJ and Anya. I don't want to get into this too much now, since it involves spoilers, but the rest of the game does complicate this picture. At this point, though, I will say that Anya seems to be the one in the driver's seat in her relationship.

Also, the "fetish" comment reminded me of something about the older games: didn't RTCW and '09 both have enemies that were essentially dominatrices in ridiculous uniforms running around? In TNO, they're gone, and we have Engel instead. In TNO, Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS has given way to Ilse Koch.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The Elite Guards are nowhere to be seen in TNO. In fact, I can't recall any female enemies besides Engel.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Blind Sally posted:

Two people who have experienced a lot of pain and tragedy in their lives, on an extremely stressful errand, take a brief moment of respite to enjoy each other's physical company? I'm not seeing it.

Oh come off it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
sex in video games is laughable.

having said that i think this made sense in context and was actually surprisingly tasteful.

naked polygons always make me think of this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ANUIr50ts

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was just thinking of that scene myself. There's a point to the sex scene and the whole "relationship in a bleak future" concept is played out pretty well... Later.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

The Elite Guards are nowhere to be seen in TNO. In fact, I can't recall any female enemies besides Engel.

Assumedly, William J. "Blow Job" Blaskonazis killed the entirety of the SS Bondagegruppen.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

George posted:

Oh come on it.

Fixed that for you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pvt.Scott posted:

Assumedly, William J. "Blow Job" Blaskonazis killed the entirety of the SS Bondagegruppen.
And funnily enough, unless he had a massive plastic surgery that, among other things, somehow increased his height, that was a different BJ.
edit: On the other hand, his TNO incarnation looks a lot more like the Wolf3D one, ie the game it doesn't recognize as canon. Oh well.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 17, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

JFairfax posted:

sex in video games is laughable.

having said that i think this made sense in context and was actually surprisingly tasteful.

naked polygons always make me think of this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ANUIr50ts

I thought that was going to be this video before I clicked on it.

anilEhilated posted:

And funnily enough, unless he had a massive plastic surgery that, among other things, somehow increased his height, that was a different BJ.
edit: On the other hand, his TNO incarnation looks a lot more like the Wolf3D one, ie the game it doesn't recognize as canon. Oh well.

He also somehow has not lost any muscle tone in the 14 years he's been in a persistent vegetative state, and apparently everyone is too polite to point out the shrapnel sticking out of his forehead which would probably be the first thing on his 'escaped fugitive' watch card.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I thought the sex scenes in this game were reasonably well done, in the sense that they help develop the two characters involved a little more and that they help the world feel a little more real. People don't stop having sex just because life is poo poo, just like people don't stop killing Nazis just because the Nazis conquered the world. BJ starts off the game dreaming about an idyllic life with a wife and child. For most people, awkwardly stumbling your way into bed with someone else is the first step on that path.

If there was less world building through music, newspaper articles, incidental dialog, etc. and less character development for BJ, I think that sex scene would have been very out of place. I don't understand why people get upset over a few seconds of consensual sex in a game that eats and breathes murder, gratuitous gore and all.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Sex scenes in video games are generally there for titillation value and the ability to go "Woah this game is SO MATURE it has sex in it" and they consequently come across as laughable and/or dumb. This didn't really seem like a way for the designers to go "hey player good job, have some tits" so I dunno, it doesn't really stick out to me as super forced and awkward in this instance.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, I have no problem with the sex, it's nowhere near as egregiously out of place as it is in some games. It's just very odd to watch when one of the participants is BJ "perpetual pain grimace" Blaskowitz.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was just caught off guard because of how it was laid out [haw].

"Mind if we share?"

Oh, they're totally-

BAM! Already plowing each other!

Just surprised how fast it went to it. It was like there wasn't even a jump cut.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

You gotta admit, that transition from train bed to hotel bed was pretty slick.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Pvt.Scott posted:

You gotta admit, that transition from train bed to hotel bed was pretty slick.

Yeah, I thought that was nicely done myself. This game impresses in a bunch of different, little ways.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Obviously it is not the same kind of media or genre, but it reminds me of Edgar Wright's cinematography. And that ain't a bad thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So the real name of the guy nicknamed Bubi is Hans?

Good thing his last name is Winkle and not Gruber.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If anything, I thought the sex scene was cliched rather than random. I, too, thought it worked well in this situation.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

When I saw all the replies I got worried the Sandcastle meltdown somehow made it into this thread.

The moments before the sex scene are what sold me on BJ as a character, by the way. Most games would feel the need to put romantic music over the whole thing and have the characters looking into each others eyes, instead BJ glances up a couple times but stares into his coffee more than anything else and can only say "Yes."

I just really love him being portrayed as a guy who knows what to do when it comes to killing, but being a giant awkward child around women.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lazyfire posted:

I just really love him being portrayed as a guy who knows what to do when it comes to killing, but being a giant awkward child around women.

BJ is a guy who knows he's a shooter protagonist, longs to be more, but at the same time knows he cannot be so. It avoids ludonarrative dissonance by making his inclination as a character doing exactly what you're going to do in gameplay (That it's surrounded by a well-told story that makes it feel solid and like there are good reasons to be doing this helps) while still giving the poor beefslab some actual pathos and character. He's not just awkward around women, he's awkward in just about every situation that doesn't involve stabbing people, though he's generally well intentioned.

I love BJ's character in this game.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
This is a Great Game with a Great Story.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

gregory posted:

Ah, thanks for that. Yeah, Drecksack would mean dirtbag or scumbag or a similar insult. (Though note, Sie should be capitalized, because lowercase it means "she" or "they"). The best part of this (for Teutophiles, at least) is that the guy complaining and freaking the gently caress out is doing so to a higher-ranking officer, so despite his vulgarity he still uses formal speech (Sie) instead of informal (du) because showing disrespect to their difference in standing is a line you just don't cross, even when telling someone to lick your rear end.

I just wonder why they made the decision to just translate the majority of these insults and mutterings to "gently caress"; the German voice script is much more creative than it's getting credit for.

Weighing in as a German native speaker I can tell you that I feel that as far as semantics are concerned, I feel that the English translation is pretty accurate. Pretty much all of the swearing is vulgar enough I feel that the "fucks" are warranted. Translating "Leck mich" as "bite me" is not nearly strong enough, for instance. A famous example is how saying "Scheiße" basically means poo poo, but as far as the degree of vulgarity is concerned, it's closer to saying gently caress. Translating "Drecksack" as "stupid jerk" is also pretty ... polite. It's kind of similar how in French many common phrases used for swearing sound sugary on the outside but on the level of meaning, they're something else entirely. In short, translating swearwords literally doesn't really seem to work in many languages.

This is also why it's really difficult to translate anything f-word heavy into German. It doesn't really have the all-purpose wild card that is the f-word. As a result, you have to remind youself to be, well, creative.

Also, it's a shame it looks like they didn't get anyone speaking Berlin dialect to do voice acting for the soliders in Berlin. It just sounds cool to me, but it may be pretty hard to decipher sometimes if you're not familiar with it.

fixelbrumpf fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 17, 2014

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

fixelbrumpf posted:

Lots of words

To be honest, spending time finding creative ways to be vulgar is much more fun that just saying "gently caress you" a thousand times. Variety is the spice of life, right? "gently caress" is so overused here that most people don't even give it a second thought.

I mean, "Lick my rear end, Müller, you sack of poo poo," would have been not only an accurate translation, but as an American I feel like that's at the very least on the same level as "gently caress you, Müller, you stupid jerk." (If anything, it might be more demeaning, because "gently caress you" is so overused that it usually doesn't carry any more weight that "you suck" and, like you said, "stupid jerk" is rather tame compared to "Drecksack.") Plus it's just more fun.

gregory fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 17, 2014

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
BJ is obviously a very damaged individual. And Anya? (??) is too. Really they are two broken people in a broken world and his sad sad loving face makes me feel so sorry for him. Good on you BJ for getting some sex'.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Power sliding into a Nazi soldier's crotch while firing two assault rifles full-auto at his balls is kinda rad. You guys should try it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

George posted:

I thought the Nazis here had batons.

I took a closer look and they actually have retractable blades in their batons. So yeah, it's a shoulder stab fight.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I'm actually really enjoying the game so far, seeing a stark contrast from the previous game to this one. The only problem is the way the actors says his monologues. Reminds me way too much of Sin City characters and Rorshach from Watchmen.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
It's probably to show that they're internal monologues or just random thoughts flowing through his head. BJ sounds quite a bit more upbeat when he speaks out loud.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Time to escape from prison. I wanted to cut out the segment where I couldn't find the upgrade, but decided against it because, well, it's kind of funny to see me get lost like that. Apparently my memory of the level isn't as good as I thought it was. Pleasantly, my memory of the shotgun being awesome are accurate and you'll see me slinging those things for quite some time in this game, they're incredibly fun and absolutely devastating to most normal enemies. You'll see me reloading the things constantly, but that's more bad habit than anything else, they have impressively large magazines and the secondary fire mode we get for them later in the game is one of my favorite things we'll come across.

This part of the level contains far more story and action than the previous section, so get ready for a major plot dump at the end of the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
That little marked border in the energy display is also how much the weapon will recharge on it's own if you empty it out completely. Since the Cutter is also used for level progression they can't exactly let you get in a situation where the battery is empty.

• Locked thread