Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh, was Ascension any good? I forgot it started last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

IRQ posted:

eurotrash nightclub

5 seasons of Alias distilled into a single phrase

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, but its still more realistic than an elderly Asian lady doing flipkicks so awesome that it distorts the laws of physics and causes men three times her size to fly six feet through the air.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Ascension is maybe the worst thing put on TV in years. I honestly can't think of anything that comes close to it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't seen it and I can guarantee it's not the worst thing put on TV this month, much less ever.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

sbaldrick posted:

Ascension is maybe the worst thing put on TV in years. I honestly can't think of anything that comes close to it.

Buffy and Firefly.

I am not kidding.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CelestialScribe posted:

Buffy and Firefly.

I am not kidding.

So either I don't give a poo poo about it or it owns?

That doesn't narrow it down much.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

CelestialScribe posted:

Buffy and Firefly.

I am not kidding.

Hot take.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zoux posted:

I haven't seen it and I can guarantee it's not the worst thing put on TV this month, much less ever.

Go back a page to see the spoliers for it and come back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I saw the spoilers but this is also the month that saw a man famously not get eaten by a snake.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And also Nick Kroll is back on TV soon.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

Oh, was Ascension any good? I forgot it started last night.

Ascension was really great. It's a near perfect envisioning of 1950's era sci-fi juxtaposed with post-modern plot. For those complaining about its so-called "twist" despite not actually having watched it, realize that the show is more of a what-if scenario. You may not like a plotline or believe something is too ridiculous to bother seeing, however, that doesn't actually make it bad. If the director is competent, if the writers are competent, a show can actually be good. :wow:

It's called imagination. I don't give a poo poo if they're dildo wielding power rangers, if the show is entertaining I'll watch it. Ascension is entertaining.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

And also Nick Kroll is back on TV soon.

I'm actually looking forward to going through its three seasons when it wraps up. This Christmas break is gonna be a godsend for that kind of stuff: got my Amazon prime free month, so Transparent and other Amazon stuff. Netflix queue up the wazoo. Maybe see if I can handle Banshee. Finish up Skins.

Planning on how you're going to be doing nothing for a few days is the best guys.

EDIT: Speaking of the Firefly, I'm seeing Wash on posters about some sort of news comedy. Anybody watched it?

EDIT 2: Oooh, Justified too!

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 16, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: Speaking of the Firefly, I'm seeing Wash on posters about some sort of news comedy. Anybody watched it?

It's Newsreaders and It's amazing. It's a spinoff from two episodes of Children's Hospital where they partially broke the 4th wall and did a behind the scenes of the "TV show."

Alan Tudyk took over from Mather Zickel as the 'anchor' in the 2nd season.

It also has Ray Wise and Kumail Nanjiani

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ravane posted:

Ascension was really great. It's a near perfect envisioning of 1950's era sci-fi juxtaposed with post-modern plot. For those complaining about its so-called "twist" despite not actually having watched it, realize that the show is more of a what-if scenario. You may not like a plotline or believe something is too ridiculous to bother seeing, however, that doesn't actually make it bad. If the director is competent, if the writers are competent, a show can actually be good. :wow:

It's called imagination. I don't give a poo poo if they're dildo wielding power rangers, if the show is entertaining I'll watch it. Ascension is entertaining.

Ascension is not entertaining the slightest, without going too much I to the plot its a remake of one of the worst movies made in the 2000s but set in space.
That's without getting into the no social changes from 50s America but a black first officer depiste there being a class system on board.

I honestly thought you where Irish Joe for a second.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

I honestly thought you where Irish Joe for a second.
The difference between them is that Irish Joe is sincere.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but its still more realistic than an elderly Asian lady doing flipkicks so awesome that it distorts the laws of physics and causes men three times her size to fly six feet through the air.

Ah yes, Realism: the main attraction of an action television show. In the same post you also praised Spartacus which is indeed awesome but the fight scenes are the furthest thing from realistic. At least try to be consistent Irish Joe.

Also I assume you're talking about Ming-na and I don't think anybody could possibly deny she is just all-around fantastic for her age.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Wandle Cax posted:

Ah yes, Realism: the main attraction of an action television show. In the same post you also praised Spartacus which is indeed awesome but the fight scenes are the furthest thing from realistic. At least try to be consistent Irish Joe.

Also I assume you're talking about Ming-na and I don't think anybody could possibly deny she is just all-around fantastic for her age.

Spartacus is hyper stylized; its not supposed to be realistic. SHIELD and Nikita aren't stylized, though, so when the world's greatest secret agent is a 60 year-old lady who does kung-fu, it strains credibility and ruins any sense of tension. It doesn't matter if Ma-Ning can win a fight, she will ALWAYS win because she's the hero and can pull impossible karate moves out of her rear end. So what's the point of watching any fight she's in?

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 17, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What's the point in watching Thor, he is just too strong, completely boring.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The good guys always win what's the point of watching anything ever made ever.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Irish Joe posted:

Spartacus is hyper stylized; its not supposed to be realistic. SHIELD and Nikita aren't stylized, though, so when the world's greatest secret agent is a 60 year-old lady who does kung-fu, it strains credibility and ruins any sense of tension. It doesn't matter if Ma-Ning can win a fight, she will ALWAYS win because she's the hero and can pull impossible karate moves out of her rear end. So what's the point of watching any fight she's in?

Ming-Na Wen is 51, not 60. Calling her elderly, as you did earlier, is just moronic. I'm not even talking about how she looks, which would be amazing if she was 31. Calling 51 elderly is just stupid. Stop it.

edit: It's not that I don't understand what you're saying (though you watch the fights because they're fun and well choreographed. Die Hard is fun to watch even if I know Bruce Willis isn't going to die). Saying "elderly" and "60", plus loving up her name because you couldn't give two shits about looking it up, isn't helping your point.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 17, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't watch any show that I know ends. I like to be surprised.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Die Hard is fun to watch even if I know Bruce Willis isn't going to die

John McClane is the poster boy for how much more satisfying it is to see the hero win if he mostly loses along the way.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

thrawn527 posted:

Ming-Na Wen is 51, not 60. Calling her elderly, as you did earlier, is just moronic. I'm not even talking about how she looks, which would be amazing if she was 31. Calling 51 elderly is just stupid. Stop it.

Irish Joe with a stupid, derogatory opinion about a woman? Why I never! :monocle:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

plus loving up her name because you couldn't give two shits about looking it up, isn't helping your point.

It's just one of those pathetic little deliberate touches to his posts, plainly obvious since the correct spelling was in the very text he quoted.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Ascension is crap, even without the twist. I can't buy the loser from Cougar Town as the Captain of his ship or that racism seemingly doesn't exist anymore. Also, that twist would have been awesome with a better cast.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

thrawn527 posted:

My grandma is 59. When I was 14, 8 years ago, she was still elderly to me. 51 is elderly, people in their 50's are old enough to have grandkids, thus 51 is old.

VDay posted:

Irish Joe with a stupid, derogatory opinion about a woman? Why I never! :monocle:

This usually applies to men, too, unless you are talking about captain america. Granted, men are usually in better shape than women at that age, so a man being able to fight well wouldn't be farfetched, though he'd obviously be slower and weaker than in his prime (the latest James Bond is proof of that).

Ravane fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 17, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You can be 30 and have a grandkid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know someone who was a grandparent in their early 30s.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ravane posted:

My grandma is 59. When I was 14, 8 years ago, she was still elderly to me. 51 is elderly, people in their 50's are old enough to have grandkids, thus 51 is old.

Johnny Depp, Julianne Moore, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are elderly, gotcha.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GreenNight posted:

You can be 30 and have a grandkid.

Yeah, but I'm talking about responsible conservative people who don't have underage sex.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Johnny Depp, Julianne Moore, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are elderly, gotcha.

They look elderly without makeup.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Underage sex? How dare they!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Sir Kodiak posted:

John McClane is the poster boy for how much more satisfying it is to see the hero win if he mostly loses along the way.
god what a waste of time if i have to watch the protagonist fail on the first attempt to overcome all odds and defeat the antagonist, why i do have to watch them almost lose a few times before they get it right???

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ravane posted:

Yeah, but I'm talking about responsible conservative people who don't have underage sex.

You're trying way too hard and it's not working. Stop.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
At least there are still people that pretend Irish Joe is a human being. Aim higher.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

hahaha, do those people still exist outside of Mormonism?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

raditts posted:

You're trying way too hard and it's not working. Stop.

Yeah, this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ascension part 2 spoilers turns out the whole thing is a breeding program set up by an ex-Nazi to try and create psychics. Which it totally did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I haven't gotten around to watching Ascension but hahaha those spoilers.

Sy-fy going for broke or something? Should've ordered High Moon to series instead.

• Locked thread