Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

jim truds posted:

One of the trainees asked me what Heat was after I asked him to open it. It is the ticketing system that we use. He has been using it for 3 weeks.

To be fair to the guy, i'm pretty sure nobody except the manager and I knows what helpdesk software we use at my place. Everyone just says "the helpdesk". "Open the helpdesk" "put a ticket on the desk" etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

dogstile posted:

To be fair to the guy, i'm pretty sure nobody except the manager and I knows what helpdesk software we use at my place. Everyone just says "the helpdesk". "Open the helpdesk" "put a ticket on the desk" etc etc.

We all call it by its name. I have been trying to pound it into his head.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

I'm presently a sysadmin, happy with the day-to-day, but wouldn't mind thinking about going into a helpdesk/support/operations team lead or supervisor role. If nothing else, I'm 32 and don't want to be on call when I'm 50, and I don't see myself doing management simply because of the quantity and duration of all the meetings.
As someone who is still an admin AND a team lead for the system admins, network admins, AND helpdesk, meetings are the least of your worries. Dealing with frustrated end users, unnecessary escalations, and people unhappy after their reviews should probably concern you more.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Sickening posted:

This is a terrible idea on so many levels. Flip burgers before you do this.

Military (former?) goon spotted.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been given a phone that links back to the office so I can work from home if required without having to mess around with a cell, and it also means I get internal extensions etc. Plugged it in a couple days ago, haven't been able to make a call on it yet without it crashing and rebooting. A large part of our business is selling people phone stuff.

Really not sure how much longer I can put up with this level of incompetence.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do never join the military.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GOOCHY posted:

Military (former?) goon spotted.

Former. The level of luck I had when I was placed would make you vomit and I still learned without a doubt that the answer is never to join the military.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Sickening posted:

Former. The level of luck I had when I was placed would make you vomit and I still learned without a doubt that the answer is never to join the military.

I was in the Navy.. I learned....

Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Army

Do literally anything else
Go busk in Paris or work in a tire shop

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sickening posted:

Right there with you. Got my job changed 3x while in DEP, got my entry date delayed by 9 months due to everybody and their loving uncle enlisting (that's what I get for enlisting during the economic decline of 2008).

Zaepho posted:

I was in the Navy.. I learned....

Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself

This guy gets it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got a new :yotj: and everything seems suspiciously nice :ohdear: I got myself a mac desktop and everything. Of course, we're probably merging with another company next year so I'm sure it'll all be flushed down the toilet. I know HR has warned us that the current pension is going to be paid out, so I have that to not look forward to! 401k vest is on a 5 year plan 0/25/50/75/100 but hey - could be worse!

It could be in the place I just left... The boss begged me not to poach on my way out and now I've got ex-coworkers messaging me to let them know if there are open spots.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bhodi posted:

401k vest is on a 5 year plan 0/25/50/75/100 but hey - could be worse!
What's the percentage match?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Mine has a uhh range of 4-6% but we have to stay 5 years or nothing.

The 401k rep. says it's a good deal but then I look at this 401k Bloomberg

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tab8715 posted:

Mine has a uhh range of 4-6% but we have to stay 5 years or nothing.

The 401k rep. says it's a good deal but then I look at this 401k Bloomberg

That's the shittiest deal I've ever heard of that actually involves having a 401k at all. That kind of match/vest would be worth exactly zero dollars to me in any salary/benefits negotiation, and I would go out of my way to let them know that. (Not giving you advice here, just saying)

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 17, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Che Delilas posted:

That's the shittiest deal I've ever heard of that actually involves having a 401k at all.

It's the first one I've had that's actually growing :haw:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

What's the percentage match?
66% on the first 10% after the first year, nothing for the first. They really, really want you to stay longer term and the benefits are structured to encourage it. Of course, with the merger, who knows what it goes to.

They also have some weird vacation policies, you accrue but cannot use any vacation days for the first 6 months. Like, the system locks you out of it even if managers allow. HR said that what most managers do is let you do it off the record and then once 6 months goes by you go back in and edit it in.

Edit: I'm on that bloomberg list, and the info is either wrong or outdated, placing us far too high. I think the policies have changed downwards since last year, and I don't know how old that data is.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 17, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah the company I work for, they match half up to 6%. So I have to give 6% and they will match 3%. Also the 5 years before you get it. It used to be 12% but they used the 2008 economic downturn to take quite a few things away.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tab8715 posted:

It's the first one I've had that's actually growing :haw:

Just having another avenue through which to reduce your taxable income is a big deal, even with no match. But I would struggle not to laugh in the face of someone touting that match as an actual benefit.

5 years is a long-rear end time in this industry but most places with that kind of schedule at least have it somewhat progressive. All-or-nothing is ridiculous.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

County is a mandatory 6% invested with a matching 6. Once you retire they multiply it by 225% which is nice. 8 years to be vested

I think thats how it is at least.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 17, 2014

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
So when they reimage PCs at the school I guess they have been going around with a USB bootdisk to every single machine... one by one. :suicide: I remember using Norton Ghost in high school when I was taking a help desk assistant class and it let us remotely image machines from the tech office. Ghost is probably ancient as poo poo by now but there are probably some comparable programs for this task, right? For the record, we are currently using Novell ZENworks but I'm not sure what all it is capable of.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zenworks has a pretty sweet imaging tool, but you could also use the free Microsoft tools. Both zen and MS can PXE boot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've been given a massive level of responsibility in regards to my new role. I'm kind of making GBS threads myself a little. How do people deal with so much responsibility? I've never really had to much of it before.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Drunk Orc posted:

So when they reimage PCs at the school I guess they have been going around with a USB bootdisk to every single machine... one by one. :suicide: I remember using Norton Ghost in high school when I was taking a help desk assistant class and it let us remotely image machines from the tech office. Ghost is probably ancient as poo poo by now but there are probably some comparable programs for this task, right? For the record, we are currently using Novell ZENworks but I'm not sure what all it is capable of.

Use MDT, or if you're already licensed for it, SCCM. It's more of a transferable skill than a third party solution.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

3% match, but it's 1:2 so I have to contribute 6% to get all of it (I put like 12% of my paycheck into my 401k though, because I'm starting to get raped by taxes) and contributions are only added once a year. Only a 3 year vestment period though.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

As someone who is still an admin AND a team lead for the system admins, network admins, AND helpdesk, meetings are the least of your worries. Dealing with frustrated end users, unnecessary escalations, and people unhappy after their reviews should probably concern you more.

I'd actually really like to hear about those situations. Frustrated end users, I get - in different positions, I've had to adopt a bunch of different methods - sympathetic ("I definitely understand that you're unhappy with this. I'm sorry we are unable to resolve this. You want to escalate? I can see if my supervisor is available..." "I'm sorry, but nobody is available, I can have someone call you" etc. etc. call center dance), constrained ("We don't have the budget - we can start looking into options if you want us to bill to your cost center"), lack of licenses, etc. but I have no concept of dealing with stuff like that from a supervisor's perspective. If someone's pissed off, do you kick the original issue back to another helpdesk person/sysadmin and have them try, do you just hear them out and try to get them to see why it can't/won't be done, etc.? Stuff like that.

Same for unnecessary escalations... my last job, my boss acted as a filter. All helpdesk escalations that might come to us would go through him and he'd let them through only if they had X or Y, but sometimes it was either wrong or missing necessary info, and he'd let me kick them back. The helpdesk manager was separate from him and she'd back him up if he had a reason, curious to know how it goes for you.

As for review unhappiness - do you get a rubric or clear metrics to review someone against? If they only did, say, 75% first call resolution but they have to make 80%, are they receptive into hearing out how they can do better?

I only have a slightly rose-colored idea of the good sides, but I do want to get in on the other sides. Those seem like more of a challenge than staying awake/off of Twitter on my phone during a meeting.

dogstile posted:

I've been given a massive level of responsibility in regards to my new role. I'm kind of making GBS threads myself a little. How do people deal with so much responsibility? I've never really had to much of it before.

I felt the same way in my first sysadmin role. A lot of stuff was being thrown at me above and beyond what was Actual Sysadmin Competency Stuff - administering a document management system (gently caress you Autonomy, gently caress you so goddamn much), heavy Sharepoint maintenance/management, etc. The best thing I could suggest: take five or ten minutes per hour. Set a reminder. That time is for you to circle back on your tasks list and update what you're doing. Keep this list and keep it true. Anything that isn't a ticket, write down immediately and add it to that tasks list.

When you start to feel overwhelmed, immediately take a two-minute circle-back break to check your tasks list. See if something's getting in your way.

If things get to the point where your list is big and hard to make progress on, talk to your boss: "Hey John, I've got X, Y and Z projects, Jane sent me a ticket about issue 1, Joe asked me to contribute to project 2, and 3 just seems to have popped a disk space alert. I could use your help in prioritizing this or assigning them to others so I can make progress on my current workload."

The second someone tells you "we aren't taking anything off your plate, you need to have a bigger plate" you need to do one of two things:

1) Really look at your tasks, calm down, shake off the stress. Do something else, take a break, decompress. Go back to the list and ascertain if it's doable.
2) YotJ if 1) fails or is truly overwhelming. Sometimes you're at fault for the backlog, sometimes others are, sometimes your boss is. If you've eliminated yourself as the root cause then what else does that leave?

MJP fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 17, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Che Delilas posted:

That's the shittiest deal I've ever heard of that actually involves having a 401k at all.

50% match up to 6% fully vested after 5 years.

WHO'S lovely NOW :c00lbutt:

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Use MDT, or if you're already licensed for it, SCCM. It's more of a transferable skill than a third party solution.

I'll look into MDT when I get back after break. Enterprise software as a whole is still new to me so I'm super interested in figuring out new ways to do stuff. Can these types of programs be used to install a program remotely too?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We just get a straight 3% of whatever your gross salary is in one lump payment per year, fully vested from day one. You don't even have to contribute and you get it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Lord Dudeguy posted:

50% match up to 6% fully vested after 5 years.

WHO'S lovely NOW :c00lbutt:

I'm required to put in 5.5% and my employers puts in 10%. gently caress yeah 10%.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Some of you guys have awesome employers... :smith:

MJP posted:

I'd actually really like to hear about those situations. :words:

Same here, it'd be interesting get a managers perspective. I'm a little more curious about employees upset about reviews. I never been upset aside from one of managers who said I did a great job but wouldn't give me 10 out 10 on my review because nobody is perfect :jerkbag:

MJP posted:

I felt the same way in my first sysadmin role.

Heh, my best advice is to dive right in. It can be stressful but after a while it fades away and becomes fun.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah my 401k sucks, but our tuition assistance is awesome and I'm more interested in getting my master's at the moment so it's a fair trade I think.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The real perk of my employment is I pay zero for healthcare. Zip, zilch, nada. It's awesome coverage too. No deductibles (except $100 for emergency room visits). Just copays.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I get a 3% match from my employer, but the 5% I contribute is a pittance given my overall salary.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
0% match. Get shittier than that...

But they contribute $2400/yr to my HSA so there's that I guess.

vvv Kinda glad not to win this. wow... vvv

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 17, 2014

Harl37
Oct 13, 2005

So very tired.
0% match and they only contribute $250/yr to my HSA. Boom.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Early employee at a young startup: no match, but good equity. :shrug:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Some of you guys have awesome employers... :smith:
Heh, my best advice is to dive right in. It can be stressful but after a while it fades away and becomes fun.

Do not do this unless you have zero life and really, REALLY get off on stress. I say this in interest of stopping someone from A) taking on too much and getting reamed out for not speaking up about it sooner, B) losing all aspects of a life by doing nothing but work all the time, C) getting screwed over for no extra money.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
gently caress HSAs, but that's a topic for B/F/C and not SH/SC.

Lets talk about PTO rates!

0 days for the first 6 months, then 5 days after 6, accruing at .0385 hours paid / hour worked. 10 days a year based off of 80 hour pay periods, 15 days maximum accrual.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MJP posted:

Do not do this unless you have zero life and really, REALLY get off on stress. I say this in interest of stopping someone from A) taking on too much and getting reamed out for not speaking up about it sooner, B) losing all aspects of a life by doing nothing but work all the time, C) getting screwed over for no extra money.

Umm,

I never said work for free or work 'til your dead.

It can be a little terrifying logging into mission-critical production server but at the end of the day it's still a server. It's not going to eat you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I was thinking about it today and I've had 6 managers in the last 12 months. None of which have given me an appraisal. Clearly I'm a terror