Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
please don't use ubanto :(

consider the fact that linuxbeards barely even agree on the color of the sky and yet every shameful linux user itt other than shadowhawk agrees that ubuntu is a bad linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sports
Sep 1, 2012
i can look at lxqt for long periods of time now.

tbf Qt5 + Wayland + lxqt are pretty serviceable, even if the fonts will always remain completely broken they will never approach Microsoft or Warcraft levels of rendering.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr Dog posted:

consider the fact that linuxbeards barely even agree on the color of the sky and yet every shameful linux user itt other than shadowhawk agrees that ubuntu is a bad linux

what is a good linux

pram
Jun 10, 2001
coreos

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
debian, or red hat

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it wouldn't be hard for Linux package managers to convince people they were any good: call it curated content

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol at that amarok screenshot. I see they've decided that the only button you need is pause. i guess technically that's true.

i still think 1.4 was the bomb but maybe some of that is nostalgia.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
ubuntu has been installed. now installing every piece of software with an average rating of at least 4.5 and at least 10 reviews

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i am pretty sure i didn't need wikipedia integration in a loving music player

gee i wonder what this band is, whose music i have purchased, filed into a music library, and actively chosen to listen to

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tin Gang posted:

ubuntu has been installed. now installing every piece of software with an average rating of at least 4.5 and at least 10 reviews

you're gonna run head-first into the "yelp problem"

lots of restaurants on yelp have 5 star reviews, yet are completely loving terrible. this is because any user who was stupid enough not to be deterred by the externa/internal appearance or menu is gonna fuckin love what's inside

any one stupid enough to use a ubuntu app store is not someone whose opinion i need

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're gonna run head-first into the "yelp problem"

lots of restaurants on yelp have 5 star reviews, yet are completely loving terrible. this is because any user who was stupid enough not to be deterred by the externa/internal appearance or menu is gonna fuckin love what's inside

any one stupid enough to use a ubuntu app store is not someone whose opinion i need

yeah this, there's a staggering amount of janky rear end software that ends up being "maintained" by the retarded "community," you will also inevitably hose up your system by installing random crap

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

OldAlias posted:

yeah this, there's a staggering amount of janky rear end software that ends up being "maintained" by the retarded "community," you will also inevitably hose up your system by installing random crap

and nothing of value will be lost

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gee i wonder what this band is, whose music i have purchased, filed into a music library, and actively chosen to listen to

lol at linux users buying things

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
excuse me i think you will find tha tthe evidence of the humble bundles proves, and furthermore

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

debian, or red hat

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Tin Gang posted:

Enjoy updating at least 100 packages a day.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

install arch linux

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

lol at that amarok screenshot. I see they've decided that the only button you need is pause. i guess technically that's true.

theres a volume slider on the other side of the window and you can grab the thingy and pick a time in the song if this helps u

Dairy Days fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 17, 2014

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
install gentoo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Palace of Hate posted:

install arch linux

yeah this but not on anything you rely on to earn a living

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Silver Alicorn posted:

install slackware

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
linux is not the worst os:ovr:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rediscover posted:

linux is not the worst os:ovr:

It's still a pos tho

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Captain Foo posted:

It's still a pos tho

i actually don't know anything about linux. i just figured out that emote and wanted to see what it looked like in yospos, the computer forum

it looks cool:ovr:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rediscover posted:

i actually don't know anything about linux. i just figured out that emote and wanted to see what it looked like in yospos, the computer forum

it looks cool:ovr:

there's another one too :ins:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Broken Machine posted:

there's another one too :ins:

That one is in my av

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rediscover posted:

i actually don't know anything about linux.

Gratz

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I think it's a good idea for "when was this released", "what movie was it in again", "what's the lead singer's name" sorts of stuff. kindle fire has that sort of thing for movies, contextual to who's on the screen, it's pretty neat.

ZShakespeare posted:

lol at linux users buying things

at least two Linux users have bought our product and more will do so when people port their content to the SteamBox as this graph relabeled from r/Bitcoin clearly indicates

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
does canonical still sell all your searches to amazon

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr Dog posted:

a shining endorsement for ubuntu

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pram posted:

It actually looks like poo poo

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

so i figured since kvm +qemu exist and ubuntus like a gig i decided to see what teh most popular linux distro had to offer

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Palace of Hate posted:

so i figured since kvm +qemu exist and ubuntus like a gig i decided to see what teh most popular linux distro had to offer

i think it's more than a gig if you install all the letters

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

"Does the display look OK?"

lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
anybody got any experience making web scrapers in linux?
i got a scraper made with c#+awesomium (ugh at the name) and i want to make port it to headless, gui-less linux. i want a browser engine but i don't want to install xserver, wayland, qt, or gtk. i just want dynamic html+js and they don't even need to render. the site i am scraping is doing some crazy ajax gymnastics with obfuscated js so doing the requests by hand is way too much effort.

any ideas?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i got a scraper made with c#+awesomium (ugh at the name) and i want to make port it to headless, gui-less linux. i want a browser engine but i don't want to install xserver, wayland, qt, or gtk. i just want dynamic html+js and they don't even need to render. the site i am scraping is doing some crazy ajax gymnastics with obfuscated js so doing the requests by hand is way too much effort.

any ideas?

kill you are self

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

any ideas?

go

https://github.com/PuerkitoBio/goquery

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

thanks. but isn't that a one-time parser?

the pages i am scraping have tickers, marquees, things that pop up and hide, etc. web 2.0 as gently caress. the way i am currently scraping is by injecting some js on the site that calls a callback in my code when things change. that's why i am currently using a chromium shell (awesomium).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

scraping modern web sites requires a real browser engine executing script, yes

when you kill yourself to end the pain, can I have your stuff?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
uhh you cant make calls to whatever api is updating the stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pram posted:

uhh you cant make calls to whatever api is updating the stuff?

maybe they mean scraping something that doesnt have a public api. like if u wanted an SA forums feed for example