Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Actually, it's about ethics in Underworld demonocracy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Psychonauts is an amazing game, one of the all-time greats, but the gameplay parts of it could really have used some more polish. The platforming is kinda floaty and hard to control at times, and the combat is a little clunky with a huge-rear end pause after the standard three-hit combo. Also, loving seriously, a lives system in 2005? I get it, DoubleFine, it's an homage to N64 platformers, but really?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

What's his forums user name?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Red Dead Redemption is god-drat phenomenal, but it has the most languid story I've ever seen in a video game. It starts off fairly strong, like, your mission is to kill Bill Williamson, that's your entire goal; but then you realize that achieving that is going to involve jumping through a series of hoops and fetch quests as you increasingly lose interest in anything that's going on.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

I don't think it pisses most people off, it's more like "Oh, it's that again." :geno: Similar to the feeling I get when I see the 5 million "Praise the sun" messages on the way into town.

So if one wants to piss off Dark Souls spergs, all you have to do is leave a message that a game mechanic is poo poo, if this thread and the title of the last one is anything to go by :v:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

DStecks posted:

Psychonauts is an amazing game, one of the all-time greats, but the gameplay parts of it could really have used some more polish. The platforming is kinda floaty and hard to control at times, and the combat is a little clunky with a huge-rear end pause after the standard three-hit combo. Also, loving seriously, a lives system in 2005? I get it, DoubleFine, it's an homage to N64 platformers, but really?

It's not all bad... right up until you hit the meat circus. That level was some bullshit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DStecks posted:

Red Dead Redemption is god-drat phenomenal, but it has the most languid story I've ever seen in a video game. It starts off fairly strong, like, your mission is to kill Bill Williamson, that's your entire goal; but then you realize that achieving that is going to involve jumping through a series of hoops and fetch quests as you increasingly lose interest in anything that's going on.

Yeah, recently I wanted to play that game because everyone goes on and on about it. I got to Mexico, and all my motivation is just flying out the door as I meet new characters I don't give a poo poo about in a location that feels like an addendum to the rest of the game (but is twice as dull) fighting a battle I don't care about to chase someone that doesn't matter.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DStecks posted:

It's been a while since I've played it, but doesn't the main character basically get as fed up with all the fetch quests as you do?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

triplexpac posted:

It's been a while since I've played it, but doesn't the main character basically get as fed up with all the fetch quests as you do?

Yeah, but then he does them anyway, constantly threatening the people that if they don't help him, he'll shoot or abandon them, and then they ask him to do just one more thing, and he always capitulates. The writers just couldn't think of any reason for Marston to do this stuff except because he's forced to, and it really, really shows. At least the stuff with Bonny was good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A thing that drags games down for me is when they do that self-aware thing that nobody likes having to jump through all these hoops and then make you jump through the hoops anyway. "haha you want me to kill rats in a basement, quest giver? What a cliche haha" *heads off to basement to kill the rats*

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ChaosArgate posted:

No? Dude there are creepy fans of literally everything. You might as well say everything you've ever enjoyed has been brought down by their creepy fans.

Isn't that what SomethingAwful.com is founded over?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Two things dragging down Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes:

- You can't access the controls menu while in the middle of a mission. As far as I can tell, you can just look at/change controls from the main menu but not in-game.
- Unskippable cutscenes (as far as I can tell) in the main Ground Zeroes mission. Coming from MGS4 where you could skip and pause cutscenes, that's just lazy.

I'm an idiot and discovered Ground Zeroes has both of these features when using the bottom-left corner of the TouchPad on the DS4.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Jordbo posted:

I don't get it, don't you feel at least a little uncomfortable with people saying sexual things about fantasy characters..? I'm not pissed off, but I think it's weird :shrug:

Haha do you? There's actual problems in the world greater than some teenager writing "AMAZING CHEST AHEAD" and I don't mean this in the tumblr PEOPLE ARE DYING IN AFRICA way I just mean it's so utterly insignificant on any level whatsoever

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm an idiot and discovered Ground Zeroes has both of these features when using the bottom-left corner of the TouchPad on the DS4.

gently caress that button

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

2house2fly posted:

A thing that drags games down for me is when they do that self-aware thing that nobody likes having to jump through all these hoops and then make you jump through the hoops anyway. "haha you want me to kill rats in a basement, quest giver? What a cliche haha" *heads off to basement to kill the rats*

GTA V did the exact same thing. The characters would constantly bitch about not getting paid, but they would then continue to do constant bitch work for the exact same people, and then complain again when they continued to not get paid. To my knowledge there was never really any pressing reason for them to be putting up with these people, other than some vague threats from the police or something.

I think the most egregious example of this were the tow-truck missions as Franklin. You drive around, bitching the entire time about how you shouldn't be doing this work and how you won't do it again, but 20 minutes later your rear end is in the seat again. I don't even think you get paid for doing that mission string, your only reward is the option to buy the company so you can play that lovely mission again.

GTA V is just a giant list of super dumb decisions wrapped up with some really good ones.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite part about Gwynevere (Amazing Chest Ahead) in Dark Souls is how for a while everyone thought it was supposed to signify another character's gender and self-body issues because of his backstory, then in an interview it just turned out that one of the artists just really likes breasts.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

2house2fly posted:

Every goddamn RPG these days thinks they are being oh so clever and meta about having a giant rats in the basement quest. Guess what guys, it's still cliche even if you acknowledge the cliche.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite part about Gwynevere (Amazing Chest Ahead) in Dark Souls is how for a while everyone thought it was supposed to signify another character's gender and self-body issues because of his backstory, then in an interview it just turned out that one of the artists just really likes breasts.

That sounds par the course for the internet. Tumblr hassled one of the writers of Pacific Rim because they wanted to know if there were any GLBT pilots. And then got hostile when all he said was yes. They wanted full back stories of these people who weren't involved with the movie in any way.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, the official story is that she was supposed to be a very 'pure virgin' looking sort of character, looking a bit like Astraea in Demon's Souls, but then the concept artist drew the big boobed thing you see in the official artbook and he seemed really happy and excited about it. And the game director just went "well I guess it's good enough" and into the game it went.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

He just couldn't find the heart in him to tell the artist no because he was so super hyped and enthusiastic about it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Inco posted:

It was probably all in Codec calls, which you could be forgiven for never seeing because they're completely optional, somewhat lengthy, very numerous, and they trash the game's flow. I've never bothered listening to them outside of a couple from the first level, because that's valuable time I could be using slicing mooks in half and harvesting their cyborg spinal fluids.

I listened to almost all of them via Chip Cheezum's LP. :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Heavy Lobster posted:

I got Rogue Legacy a while back having heard a lot of complaints about the controls and I really don't understand it. They're really consistent and I can't think of a single time in the entire game where I thought something was bullshit and out of my control, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm missing or what people had problems with. This isn't a dig at anyone, just legitimately wondering if I just totally missed something.

This probably isn't what bugs other people about the controls, but I have trouble controlling 2D platformers where the character is a big gangly cartoon. For example Mario is a rectangle and Sonic is a ball so their hitboxes are pretty easy to figure out. The characters in Rogue Legacy are too animated.

My real problem with that game is that it combined a bunch of roguelike features with a huge emphasis on grinding stats that persist between playthroughs. I feel like those two things just don't go that well together.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Morpheus posted:

The writers just couldn't think of any reason for Marston to do this stuff except because he's forced to, and it really, really shows.

Well, yeah. The only reason he's doing anything in the game besides tending his ranch is because he's forced to.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

The writers just couldn't think of any reason for Marston to do this stuff except because he's forced to, and it really, really shows.

And they couldn't think of any reason to motivate every other character in the game other than "the gubmint is bad", it's almost funny how almost everything in the game winds up being blamed on the government.

The Moon Monster posted:

This probably isn't what bugs other people about the controls, but I have trouble controlling 2D platformers where the character is a big gangly cartoon. For example Mario is a rectangle and Sonic is a ball so their hitboxes are pretty easy to figure out. The characters in Rogue Legacy are too animated.

My real problem with that game is that it combined a bunch of roguelike features with a huge emphasis on grinding stats that persist between playthroughs. I feel like those two things just don't go that well together.

The enemies have really bad hitboxes in general, which combined with the fact that touching an enemy's hitbox means you usually get damaged means that you'll get a lot of deaths just from an enemy being near you even if you never touch them.

I feel like if they had had a rudimentary city/kingdom management game as an additional source of income it would have made the grind for upgrades a lot more tolerable. As is despite the huge focus on playing as your descendants is little more than set dressing for a random character generator and an upgrade tree.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I never got very far in Red Dead Redemption because I fail at cover systems and console shooters forever, I've just been playing PC games for too long. I think I'd have rather just played an Old West Moseying Simulator, because they did make a pretty nice atmosphere.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Moon Monster posted:

Well, as the flip of your coin, I was grateful for the persist stats, and it's why I hate most Rogue-likes. I hate playing for an hour+ and having nothing to show for it with a couple seconds bad play.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And they couldn't think of any reason to motivate every other character in the game other than "the gubmint is bad", it's almost funny how almost everything in the game winds up being blamed on the government.

Marston and everyone he knows are the last remnants of an untamed outlaw culture being choked out and stamped flat by encroaching federal influence, of course the government are the villains. The fact that Marston and co. are all murderous ne'er-do-wells mitigates this somewhat.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The bit where a U.S. Marshal says he distrusts you for fear you might be a federal agent and rants about how awful the government is was my favorite part.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The camera in Dragon Age: Origins is really annoying. Low maximum height, and you have to have a character onscreen at all times in isometric mode.

Enemies can shoot you with arrows from outside targeting range. Really irritating.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14: How basic the macro system is. I'm not asking for the ability to make a macro that allows me to activate it and walk away from the pc for a few hours. I just want 2 things:

1: Conditional macros, as a healer I want to know if my "oh poo poo" button went through, I make it make a sound so I at least know I pushed it and the game registered it, but did it actually hit or was I too far away? There is a message that'll tell me my target is too far away, but its out of the way, hardly noticeable and the sound it makes is really subdued. I'd just like it to make a different sound and put a message in my chat box that I am too far away

2: You can set the macro to wait before doing the next line in the macro, but the game only limits you to 1 wait time. Also I may be wrong, but I swear that if you use one macro with a timer, then use another macro that doesn't have a timer it nullifies the timer of the first one. So I use my macro that beeps me at 30 seconds to let me know I can cast another skill, then I use another macro that just says "Skill used on X" with no timers attached to it. Then 30 seconds later and I don't get beeped and told about my other macro telling me I can use another skill that I was to wait 30 seconds for.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I don't get how companies can release an mmo without macro/ui customizing and try to complete with WoW. The addons in that game are a power house.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A lady in Undead Nightmare even blamed the zombies on the government. Although, I think it was meant to be taken as a joke given how much they beat you over the head with it in the main game.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

FF14: How basic the macro system is. I'm not asking for the ability to make a macro that allows me to activate it and walk away from the pc for a few hours. I just want 2 things:

1: Conditional macros, as a healer I want to know if my "oh poo poo" button went through, I make it make a sound so I at least know I pushed it and the game registered it, but did it actually hit or was I too far away? There is a message that'll tell me my target is too far away, but its out of the way, hardly noticeable and the sound it makes is really subdued. I'd just like it to make a different sound and put a message in my chat box that I am too far away

2: You can set the macro to wait before doing the next line in the macro, but the game only limits you to 1 wait time. Also I may be wrong, but I swear that if you use one macro with a timer, then use another macro that doesn't have a timer it nullifies the timer of the first one. So I use my macro that beeps me at 30 seconds to let me know I can cast another skill, then I use another macro that just says "Skill used on X" with no timers attached to it. Then 30 seconds later and I don't get beeped and told about my other macro telling me I can use another skill that I was to wait 30 seconds for.

The last patch fixed a lot of that. Look through the list again, there's one that guarantees you can't cast another macro or skill until the current macro is finished.

edit- also you shouldn't have macros for healing other than setting up before a fight or swiftcasting resurrect. At least at the higher level stuff.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

darkhand posted:

I don't get how companies can release an mmo without macro/ui customizing and try to complete with WoW. The addons in that game are a power house.

Most of them aren't trying to compete, they're just riding the wave. WoW is so insanely popular that if you cobble something together that vaguely resembles it or its gameplay mechanics, you'll make money.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Holy poo poo, the controls in Metal Gear Solid are really loving bad. Punching people is the most awkward thing because you'll somehow punch past them half the time, or you're not quite in the right spot/not facing the right direction and miss completely. The Grey Fox fight sucked. It didn't suck half as much as the Sniper Wolf fight, which I'm certain I'll never beat because the sniper controls are the worst controls I've ever seen. The crosshair shakes like Michael J. Fox in the midst of a 4-day bender, and in the most nauseating way, and the camera moves painfully slowly until it suddenly rockets way past the target. It's impossible to control.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You have to use Diazepam to stop the shaking when using the sniper rifle.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Is there something special I have to do? I tried to use it, but nothing happened when I hit the action button with it equipped.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The number should go down, it'll make a noise, and your crosshairs will be perfectly steady for a short while. It's not an easy fight, granted.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm just going to take you at face value. You eat them just like rations, pressing the Action button when you have them selected in the open inventory.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, okay, I got it to work now. The shaking's gone, but I still can't hit her because the crosshair is slow as poo poo until it moves uncontrollably fast, so it's really easy to overshoot, and I don't have enough time to correct it before she shoots me. It's frustrating as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inco posted:

Yeah, okay, I got it to work now. The shaking's gone, but I still can't hit her because the crosshair is slow as poo poo until it moves uncontrollably fast, so it's really easy to overshoot, and I don't have enough time to correct it before she shoots me. It's frustrating as hell.

First fight or second? Because if the second it's way easier to use Nikita Missiles.

You can use stingers for the first but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to have them there and only get them if you cheat but I might be remembering wrong.