Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'll have to get my hands on the album proper but the mix on Spotify of Black Messiah isn't great, the vocals are very muddy.

e: yeah it's much better on iTunes.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Wow lots of new promising stuff just came out all at once. So far ive only listened to the D'angelo and it is great. Still got kevin gates, nicki, and this new mike will tape. What else am I missing? Anyway, gently caress yes i mightve made my best of the year list too soon.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

new d'angelo is super good but you guys are trying to say its better than voodoo without even 24 hours passing yet. you've probably listened to it barely over 1.5 times cool your loving jets.

Squirtle
Oct 14, 2008

Here comes the Squirtle Squad!

Crumbletron posted:

Q's best verse this year is the one on Prhyme :drat:

By a country mile, most of Oxymoron was far from his best lyrically

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

40 lbs to freedom posted:

new d'angelo is super good but you guys are trying to say its better than voodoo without even 24 hours passing yet. you've probably listened to it barely over 1.5 times cool your loving jets.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Welcome to the Yo NMD Raps thread

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Angryhead posted:

Some stuff I've not listened to (enough) yet to judge fairly:
Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata, Future - Monster, SD - Truly Blessed, Ghostface Killah - 36 Seasons

Didn't even list it but I'm enjoying that Azealia Banks a lot.
And haven't listened to the FlyLo album yet either.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Angryhead posted:

Didn't even list it but I'm enjoying that Azealia Banks a lot.
And haven't listened to the FlyLo album yet either.

give the flylo a listen as it is one of the shortlist of must listens this year, but don't expect hip-hop, expect experimental and electronic jazz

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I've listened to the new D'Angelo countless times now and I don't really get the hype. Yeah it's a good album but it's not incredible.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

*listens to first 3 tracks* AOTY

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
I liked the M.O.P. album a lot. Better than Sparta, and clocking in at 9 tracks is nice.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
Ludacris EP Burning Bridges free on Google Play today

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
https://kingsyze.bandcamp.com/

New Reef the Lost Cauze x King Syze EP, "Year of the Hyenas"

I'm obviously going to buy it because I'm an AOTP stan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYkt_YPGHI

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I've never heard D'Angelo before and it was not at all what I expected. I need to give it a proper listen or three, but man that first track rules

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

The D'angelo hype is a classic case of the Internet being the Internet

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Personally I thought the new D'Angelo was boring and it probably didn't help that 50 goons called it AOTY when just a picture of the album had been released

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
the internet has a long history of making merely OK things out to be the best thing ever!!!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

unclenutzzy posted:

the internet has a long history of making merely OK things out to be the best thing ever!!!

Quote of the decade

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

uG posted:

Personally I thought the new D'Angelo was boring and it probably didn't help that 50 goons called it AOTY when just a picture of the album had been released

In their defense, it did have words on it

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Y'all trippin. Black Messiah is loving masterful. Easily one of the best albums of the year. You can't blame people for getting hyped considering the backstory of D'Angelo's absence. This is one of those rare extremely long-awaited albums that actually lives up to expectations.

Yuzenn posted:

Ludacris EP Burning Bridges free on Google Play today
LUDA

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Anyone care to recommend something like 1000 deaths? Mixing on that is incredible

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is cool news. First album was really nice.

http://pitchfork.com/news/57864-ghostface-killah-and-sheek-louch-announce-new-wu-block-lp-hidden-gems-share-wu-block-biznez/

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

gently caress yeah

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Nice! Can't wait for that to drop.

In other news, Migos and Bobby Schmurda to release a mixtape (forgive me if this was mentioned earlier)

http://hypetrak.com/2014/12/bobby-shmurda-and-migos-to-release-shmigo-gang-mixtape/

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

AOTY

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
pitchfork put the rtj song with zach de la rocha as the #6 track of all 2014 :laugh:

what an incredible joke of a music publication

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That song was really loving good though?

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
Luda EP is AOTY

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I agree, I think it's a pretty great track. I don't know what the hate about zach le la roca is?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Zach de la rocha sucks and is bad

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
yeah that track would be 50% better without him on it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Zach de la rocha sucks and is bad

yep

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

pitchfork likes boring music go figure

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Run them r r r run em run em run them jews fast run them jews fast

Shmigo gang

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if some guy on an internet forum wants to use aoty as short hand for it's good and fun, i'm going to get angry and look down on him. actually same goes for any hyperbole (or maybe it's not?) so watch out

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I wouldn't know, I can't make it through 10 seconds of the song due to that loving beat. It's the most obnoxious poo poo ever. I've skipped ahead to Zach's verse and it is pretty bad too. Could be worse but that's not exactly a high standard to shoot for. Otherwise I guess I have nothing against Zach de la Rocha per se other than that he has no business making music in the year 2014.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lol that beat goes hard.

spoils
Nov 2, 2012
"It's De La on the cut lifting 6 on your stichin crew, I'm miles ahead of you, you can sip my bitches brew"
"we sick of bleeding out a trace, spray a victim, you/ done dying, Phillip AK Dickin you"
Top 10 material not to mention that voice sample and hook that definitely doesn't get annoying after half a listen

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Kenshin posted:

I agree, I think it's a pretty great track. I don't know what the hate about zach le la roca is?

because he's limp bizkit and immortal technique rolled into a one piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
how is no one talking about the new Kendrick track? It's super good

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/12/kendrick-lamar-debuts-triumphant-new-song-on-the-colbert-report-watch/