Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

What hood do you live in? They don't seem to service my postal code but I wrote in and maybe something can be worked out like Jesus Christ using his second coming to lay fibre in my hood. Their service looks amazing.

Mentioned in the Toronto thread, but Coextro is worth looking at too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

teethgrinder posted:

Mentioned in the Toronto thread, but Coextro is worth looking at too.

Oh sweet, thanks. I never go to that thread anymore. Everyone in there reminds me how much I hate this city.

e: "Coextro Service only available in condos and apartments and not for people that learn they never want to live in one of those ever again."

:sigh:

You have to surrender to condo culture to get anything techy good, here, anymore.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 4, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You were expecting them to pull fibre to your house?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Fibre isn't the only option anymore, so no.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Zigmidge posted:

Fibre isn't the only option anymore, so no.

Well then good news!

You can get reasonably good speeds through a Rogers or a TPIA provider like Teksavvy. Up to 150/15 is available in many Toronto neighborhoods.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yeah we're already on that boat. We just keep our eyes out for improvements anywhere we can find it. You still feel the effects of Rogers/Bell's actions through TSI so it would be nice to leave them, too, someday.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

originalnickname posted:

What's worse is that bell/telus/shaw/rogers are all buying up Canadian rights to every show they can get their hands on, so chances are we'll all HAVE to get some sort of supplemental to Netflix service if we don't go the :filez: route to get newer stuff after cutting out cable TV, because it's not like they're going to let Netflix buy rights.
Meh. I can't remember the last time I watched vanilla Canadian netflix and I don't get the impression Netflix is in any rush to try and stop people from doing the DNS thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

Meh. I can't remember the last time I watched vanilla Canadian netflix and I don't get the impression Netflix is in any rush to try and stop people from doing the DNS thing.

It's worth switching back to it now and then, they get stuff the U.S. doesn't have.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

infernal machines posted:

or a TPIA provider like Teksavvy. Up to 150/15 is available in many Toronto neighborhoods.

As far as I know, all 150Mbps packages aren't being sold by TPIA (I know TekSavvy isn't for sure) in Rogers territories until 24 channel cable modems are certified/being sold. Old installs/modems have been grandfathered in, but all new installs need the new modems which have yet to see the light of day.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 4, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

37th Chamber posted:

As far as I know, all 150Mbps packages aren't being sold by TPIA (I know TekSavvy isn't for sure) in Rogers territories until 24 channel cable modems are certified/being sold.

They've been taken down at the moment but they were sold through TPIA for at least six months now. They don't actually require the 24 channel DOCSIS 3 modems to work, but Rogers is refusing new activations without them.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

They've been taken down at the moment but they were sold through TPIA for at least six months now. They don't actually require the 24 channel DOCSIS 3 modems to work, but Rogers is refusing new activations without them.

You don't need 24 channels to hit 150Mbps, no, but it sure helps node congestion.

Sucks for the customer, but I can't really blame them.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Yup, I was lucky enough to get a SB6141 through before all this happened. All the upcoming 24+ channel modems I've seen have been gateway combos, which I'd like to avoid if possible. Here's hoping they're just as easy to bridge as the CGN3.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

priznat posted:

It's worth switching back to it now and then, they get stuff the U.S. doesn't have.

What does Canada get that the U.S. doesn't? Isn't it just past UFC pay per views?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mister Macys posted:

What does Canada get that the U.S. doesn't? Isn't it just past UFC pay per views?

There are a few movies like Under the Skin and Jadowarsky's Dune, and Canadian Netflix had anchorman 2 for a while before the U.S. did. Those were just some that stood out to me. I think some TV series too.

The overall selection is still smaller but there are the occasional movies/shows that pop up that aren't on the U.S. version.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mister Macys posted:

Homeland, apparently. Been meaning to try it out for a while but it wasn't on Netflix... Until I opened my Netflix app on a friend's wifi and realised the unblocker was hiding it all along.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

You can see what's available in each region here: http://www.moreflicks.com/

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Rumour is Shaw is coming out with new and improved internet plans in the New Year. By new and improved I mean they look like Rogers plans, but worse.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Rumour is Shaw is coming out with new and improved internet plans in the New Year. By new and improved I mean they look like Rogers plans, but worse.

Rogers plans for low speed are awful, but for higher speeds are comparable with what Start.ca is offering (150Mbps for $89 at start with 400GB vs 150Mbps for $86 350GB at rogers).

Surprisingly, now looking at Start.ca they don't offer 150Mbps plan anymore. Weird.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Volguus posted:

Surprisingly, now looking at Start.ca they don't offer 150Mbps plan anymore. Weird.

That's because:

37th Chamber posted:

As far as I know, all 150Mbps packages aren't being sold by TPIA (I know TekSavvy isn't for sure) in Rogers territories until 24 channel cable modems are certified/being sold. Old installs/modems have been grandfathered in, but all new installs need the new modems which have yet to see the light of day.

TPIAs are not allowed to offer 150/10 until Rogers certifies a modem for them. Kind of anti-competitive since this leaves TPIAs without any packages past 60Mbps.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Rukus posted:

That's because:

TPIAs are not allowed to offer 150/10 until Rogers certifies a modem for them. Kind of anti-competitive since this leaves TPIAs without any packages past 60Mbps.

Rogers told us that we'd need to get a new modem when we wanted to get a 60Mbps plan, even though our existing modem was supposed good for up to 400mbps down. The new one is supposed to be capable of 960. :psyduck:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Dark One posted:

Rogers told us that we'd need to get a new modem when we wanted to get a 60Mbps plan, even though our existing modem was supposed good for up to 400mbps down. The new one is supposed to be capable of 960. :psyduck:

That older Hitron is a steaming pile of poo poo and the newer one is slightly less so. I highly recommend that whichever route you go you disable gateway mode and use a "real" router in it's place. My setup at home is Hitron (In Cable Modem Only Mode) --> WNDR3700 (DDWRT) as a router/dhcp server --> Linksys EA6500 as a wireless AP.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Rukus posted:

Also, to expand on this, 150Mbps+ packages are a HUGE risk for TPIA with the current CBB pricing, they're lucky to make any money off you even with a 300GB cap depending when you consume data (aka: gently caress off during prime time please). And as much as I love supporting the little guy, before they pulled the packages, they were (generally) more expensive than the incumbent package (even more so if you talk your way in to a sweet retention deal), with the additional bonus of getting first-party support that'll drag its feet a bit less for its own customers.

Even when the modems are certified, I'd be surprised to see any 150Mbps or higher plans return to any TPIA provider before the CRTC deals with rates.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

37th Chamber posted:

Also, to expand on this, 150Mbps+ packages are a HUGE risk for TPIA with the current CBB pricing, they're lucky to make any money off you even with a 300GB cap depending when you consume data (aka: gently caress off during prime time please). And as much as I love supporting the little guy, before they pulled the packages, they were (generally) more expensive than the incumbent package (even more so if you talk your way in to a sweet retention deal), with the additional bonus of getting first-party support that'll drag its feet a bit less for its own customers.

Even when the modems are certified, I'd be surprised to see any 150Mbps or higher plans return to any TPIA provider before the CRTC deals with rates.

Oh yeah, capacity-based billing really threw a wrench into their wheels. Though Teksavvy implemented a really ingenious thing called "Zap the Cap" in which they'll slow down your connection during their peak time (8pm to 12am) in exchange for unlimited bandwidth. So my 150/10 connection drops to 15/10, but I don't have to worry about my usage, and I pay the same price as the 300GB tier and not the $200-something they wanted for the full unlimited tier.

And the only reason incumbent packages are looking "good" right now is because of the TPIAs creating competition and enabling us lowly Canadians to "stick it" to Rogers and Bell.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

This is a continuation of a conversation from another thread, I'm moving it here because it was getting to be a tedious derail there and it's far more appropriate in here.

Basically, for anyone considering switching to Teksavvy cable internet service in an area serviced by Rogers cable, don't (for now).

Marc Gaudrault, CEO of Teksavvy posted:

There continues to be an underlying capacity issue that we are trying to rectify, related to provisioning timing and volume, but it has cascaded into a whole new challenge that we are now working on. Additional capacity we have been adding has been chewed up instantly. The cold weather has led to a shift of user behaviour that has put additional pressure on that capacity provisioning issue, and we have not been able to respond as quickly as we would like to. Part of the provisioning challenge is this. There is still a hard division between different sides of the provisioning equation so that in practice, even where you have multiple spare links pre-provisioned and waiting on the side lines, turning them up is still a separate matter. Essentially these are stresses along the fault lines on where some of the existing rules simply don’t scale well. For instance, right now there are CRTC-approved max timelines/guidelines for some processes, but there isn’t any incentive for trading partners to move more quickly than the max timeline, so the maxes end up looking a lot like minimums instead.

Some have raised the dis-agg versus APOI issue, and as you know this is a separate issue that we have been pretty vocal about. By way of background, back in 2009-10 we asked the CRTC to have both models on both the cable and DSL sides. The aggregated model lets new competitors enter the market, the dis-agg gives us back more control over the network and lets us fix a lot of these issues ourselves (more granular control for example). Back then, the CRTC decided to go one way only, aggregated. We have been asking for the same thing in the CRTC wireline proceeding that I was at last week – leave aggregated but add dis-aggregated so that we can address issues along these fault lines as we scale – and we will simply have to see where the CRTC lands.

TL;DR: Their APOI links are over saturated (i.e. they've way oversold the network), they are aware of this and several of the NOC staff have chimed in to corroborate this. For various reasons they can't bring new capacity online reactively enough to address the issue. This is a known problem and one they cannot at the moment properly address, so for the foreseeable future rCable service from TSI is going to be a crapshoot and will have performance issue during peak hours (sometimes big ones).

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 14, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, that might explain why I've come home to see that Steam has dropped and reconnected multiple times during my workday...

Rogers delenda est.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise posted:

Just saw this on my Facebook (link to reddit) and gently caress THEM. I am done. gently caress em.

They recently tried loving my credit saying I never moved my service from one apartment to another and that I never returned the modem. Said I owed em $250 for unpaid months. When in reality I transferred everything and the Shaw tech forgot the modem in his truck. FUCKERS.

Done. Totally done. Ive been with em for close to 15 years now, if not a little longer. MTS it is. Goddamn cunts.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Said reddit thread

quote:

Starting January 6th, shaw is changing their internet plans:

100Mbps -> 60Mbps

50Mbps -> 30Mbps

25Mbps -> 15Mbps

10Mbps -> 5Mbps

The rates are also going up. :psyduck:

Truly living up to the thread title.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Said reddit thread

The rates are also going up. :psyduck:

Truly living up to the thread title.

Well... I guess that's one way to deal with over saturation- don't invest in infrastructure. :pwn:

CirrusPlanetSteve
Dec 17, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Just saw this on my Facebook (link to reddit) and gently caress THEM. I am done. gently caress em.

They recently tried loving my credit saying I never moved my service from one apartment to another and that I never returned the modem. Said I owed em $250 for unpaid months. When in reality I transferred everything and the Shaw tech forgot the modem in his truck. FUCKERS.

Done. Totally done. Ive been with em for close to 15 years now, if not a little longer. MTS it is. Goddamn cunts.

I put together some info about the changes, I encourage everyone to repost this anywhere Canadians can see it. This is ridculous and borderline robbery, call down or go into a chat and be vocal about it. Just remember you are yelling at Shaw not the frontline staff.

Old plans, before and after January rate hike
10/0.5 125GB Cap: $55>$59
25/2.5 250GB Cap: $60>$67
50/3 400GB Cap: $80>$85
100/5 500GB Cap: $90>$99

*Option exists on 10/25/50 to add unlimited data for $100 more a month

New Plans
5/0.5 60GB Cap: $50
15/0.5 125GB Cap: $60
30/2.5 250GB Cap: $70
60/3 400GB Cap: $90

*No unlimited options

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CirrusPlanetSteve posted:

I put together some info about the changes, I encourage everyone to repost this anywhere Canadians can see it. This is ridculous and borderline robbery, call down or go into a chat and be vocal about it. Just remember you are yelling at Shaw not the frontline staff.

New Plans

*No unlimited options
Admission of having an oversold network with insufficient capacity to handle average usage climbing from 1% to 10% due to netflix and such.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

New Plans

*No unlimited options
That 5/0.5 looks like what I had with Rogers like 10 years ago. Except I had 100 GB cap lol.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

New Plans

No but see, you get an extra 5 Mbit down for just an extra dollar!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzhiDCJyMks

New Plans

*No unlimited options

I'm not on Shaw, but I have friends and relatives out west. If you can make this into an info-graphic with the date it goes into effect, I'll share it.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 17, 2014

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 19, 2014

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Vintersorg posted:

so wait

You're saying you lived in Manitoba and weren't already on MTS? What the gently caress were you thinking? :psyduck:

CirrusPlanetSteve
Dec 17, 2014

Sassafras posted:

I kinda figured that the facebook/reddit/twitter frenzy was much ado about nothing and it looks like that's correct. Option of faster speeds for an insignificant amount more than the post-increase prices, or keep your bill the same/smaller by dropping down to a lower tier.

I can get a whole 5mpbs for only 10 dollars a month? That's only 2 dollars more for a mb!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jan posted:

so wait

You're saying you lived in Manitoba and weren't already on MTS? What the gently caress were you thinking? :psyduck:

MTS's DSL doesn't seem as reliable from my purely anecdotal experience

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

That 5/0.5 looks like what I had with Rogers like 10 years ago. Except I had 100 GB cap lol.

I have 6/0.6 :smithicide:

loving rural Ontario.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

At least you're not running off some shared LOS microwave system located on top of someone's grain silo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

At least you're not running off some shared LOS microwave system located on top of someone's grain silo.

Hahaha yeah. I'm out in the Niagara region and pretty much everything on top of the escarpment is this or Rogers Rocketstick type bullshit. We still have video rental stores around here because many people can't use Netflix. Low population density and no subsidies from the government = no interest from cableco/telcos.