Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

i am completely indifferent to this track. maybe hearing it at better quality would do it wonders but i'm struggling to give a poo poo about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's all over Twitter that Pitchfork picked RTJ 2 as AOTY but not on their website :shrug:

i know - it's pitchfork, insert obligatory bitching about them - but still, that would be kind of crazy.

ninja edit: nevermind, it's true - http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9558-the-50-best-albums-of-2014/5/

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 17, 2014

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
No one cares about aoty :ssh:

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 17, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i know i just thought it was cool for mike and el-p :smith:

nobody wants to talk best beats of the year? i made a list page or two back

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

quote:

This is volume for the voiceless, a silver bullet for the wolves, and a redistribution of sovereignty. It’s venom to immobilize cheaply uniformed imposters, flatulent greedheads, and cynical buffoons perverting the truth on cable news. When institutions lacked authority and insurrection seemed permanently imminent, El-P and Killer Mike hurled 11 grenades, offering redemption through untrammeled rage. If justice remained elusive, retaliation could be had as fast as closing your eyes and counting to gently caress..
:laugh:
Someone was paid to write this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's pretty much how El-P actually talks so it's pretty fitting.

thathonkey posted:

On both subjects, Blockbuster Night Part 1.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

thathonkey posted:

HOT

NIGGA

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Yuzenn posted:

HOT

NIGGA

Good beat but Lloyd Banks used it 2 years ago on a song, I don't know if that counts. My answer: everything London on da Track did on Rich Gang The Tour

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

temple posted:

I get annoyed with how much importance those fucks try to assign to everything. RTJ2 isn't even the best RTJ album but now it's the catalyst for hipsters to change the world from the safety of their tumblr page blah blah blah.

quote:

When this record’s truths become unrecognizable, we’ll know that we’ve finally made progress. We can chart our evolution from here."
:suicide:

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Good beat but Lloyd Banks used it 2 years ago on a song, I don't know if that counts. My answer: everything London on da Track did on Rich Gang The Tour

Touche.

Being serious though I guess the best beats of the year that I can think of would be:

Mt. Olympus (Big KRIT)
Wishin (Pryhme)
Cuffin Season Remix (Fabolous & G-Unit)
Don't Wait Remix (Chance The Rapper & Mapei)
They Don't Love You No More (DJ Khaled & a bunch of features)
Jack Tripper (Low Pros [Lex Luger & A Trak] Ft. Young Thug & PeeWee Longway)
Chandler Avenue (Childish Gambino Produced by DJ Drama)
Multiply (A$AP Rocky)
Chiraq (Nicki Minaj Ft. Lil Herb)
IDFWU (Big Sean Ft. E40)

Honorable Mention : Drunk in Love (Came out mid december in 13 but was all over in 14) and 7-11, both by Beyonce. It's hit after hit with her, and her songs get played EVERYWHERE (strip clubs, strip malls, radio, sporting events, etc.)

Also, BIG HOMIE and 0-100 by Diddy (I'm just gonna say it's Diddy's beat since he punched Drake in the mouth over it.)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

temple posted:

Dont worry they prob didnt get paid much. I like reading pitchfork still because their writers all think theyre such clever masters of the english language but most of the poo poo they write barely makes sense at worst or is high school level superficial analysis of music at best :allears:

Robert Analog posted:

I get annoyed with how much importance those fucks try to assign to everything. RTJ2 isn't even the best RTJ album but now it's the catalyst for hipsters to change the world from the safety of their tumblr page blah blah blah.

:suicide:

Unfortunately people actually think (thought?) they have reputable opinions and are a "tastemaker" worth following

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-NmiW5RwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJTbV9GjpXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iglV1WIy62g

ps https://soundcloud.com/below-system/jr-ph7-x-chuuwee-meanwhile-off-mack

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 17, 2014

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Robert Analog posted:

I get annoyed with how much importance those fucks try to assign to everything.

Annoyance is the wrong reaction: just laugh!! this is comedy at its finest:

"This is volume for the voiceless, a silver bullet for the wolves, and a redistribution of sovereignty. It’s venom to immobilize cheaply uniformed imposters, flatulent greedheads, and cynical buffoons perverting the truth on cable news. When institutions lacked authority and insurrection seemed permanently imminent, El-P and Killer Mike hurled 11 grenades, offering redemption through untrammeled rage. If justice remained elusive, retaliation could be had as fast as closing your eyes and counting to gently caress."

edit: Whoops i missed that temple already posted that quote

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 17, 2014

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

everything Mike-Will did ever

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

every time i try to make a list for best beat or song or whatever i make half of my list from 2013 on accident

tie between hot nigga and fight night for all lists, 2014 is stupid

e: wait no that fka twigs album was tight and chris browns album is super smooth so those are cool too. best songs from them i guess would be two weeks and came to do.

40 lbs to freedom fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 17, 2014

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally listened to Luca Brasi 2 and I honestly think it's the best thing he's done so far. Kevin Gates is infallible.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

doctor thodt posted:

I finally listened to Luca Brasi 2 and I honestly think it's the best thing he's done so far. Kevin Gates is infallible.

He talks a lot about eating rear end. And the question about loving his girl with his buddy is pretty suss. All in all a good album though

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
ol rear end eatin kevin gates

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

All I can see right now is the face he made to DJ Envy when he said he wasn't into eatin rear end. Now with video link http://youtu.be/CKa3_0hG_8s?t=17m28s

I give him credit, he's real about everything he says.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 17, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Is running the train gay now or something? *puts on avirex jacket, karl kani sweats with one leg rolled up*

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
dudes still super concerned with rappers' sexual preferences, smh

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

true fact shock g was asexual

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
BOTY for me was Just Blaze on Dipshits

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yuzenn posted:

HOT

NIGGA

jungle beats.....

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Kenshin posted:

dudes still super concerned with rappers' sexual preferences, smh

Don't give a poo poo if he's gay or not but asking his girlfriend if his friend can hit it to is just weird to me.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Free Bobby

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

bows1 posted:

Don't give a poo poo if he's gay or not but asking his girlfriend if his friend can hit it to is just weird to me.

you really shouldn't concern yourself so much with other people's sex lives, not everyone is super into monogamy (especially rappers :v: ) or jealousy (nevermind, most rappers are all about jealousy)

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Kenshin posted:

you really shouldn't concern yourself so much with other people's sex lives, not everyone is super into monogamy (especially rappers :v: ) or jealousy (nevermind, most rappers are all about jealousy)

Well when he raps about it and talks openly about it it's fair game. Also you listen to rappers that are openly homophobic and call people faggots in their music

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I'm probably not gonna let random Internet dude tell me what I should be concerned about either tho

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Well when he raps about it and talks openly about it it's fair game. Also you listen to rappers that are openly homophobic and call people faggots in their music
Yes, I do. I also don't concern myself with their personal lives or beliefs too much, but if guess if you want to freak out about an artist doing something you don't approve of I can't do anything but laugh

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

luca brasi 2 is fantastic. this is like his third mixtape this year? they've all been great and i'm hoping he manages to keep it up and doesn't burn out.

also my favorite beat of the year is probably about the money: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfIdtm-OC8

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

On what loving planet am I on where you can't comment on something someone does in their personal lives when they openly talk about what they do in their personal lives? No one's freaking out about anything you overreacting dork. There's a difference between actually caring about what they do in the bedroom and us laughing at on it on a private internet message board. Now shut up I want to make more jokes about Birdman's love for young boys.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
there's a pretty big difference between getting all weird about (consenting? I hope) adults doing stuff and mocking Birdman for being a sexual predator

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
yeah guys don't kinkshame!!!

saying you find something strange about someone's sexual proclivities isn't "getting all weird" or being "super concerned"

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Kenshin posted:

there's a pretty big difference between getting all weird about (consenting? I hope) adults doing stuff and mocking Birdman for being a sexual predator

Jesus christ all I said is that it was weird to me. After that I said I really liked the mixtape, which Im going to continue to listen to. Sorry you are so upset about this

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Thanks for the pitchfork link, didn't know Grouper had a new album.

I think as a whole Freddie Gibbs/Madlib had my favorite production this year. Maybe Uno for best beat, not sure.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Kenshin posted:

Talking about things a rapper says he does is not "getting all weird" chill out

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Budget Prefuse posted:

also my favorite beat of the year is probably about the money: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfIdtm-OC8

if it werent for young thug 2014 would have been the worst year for anything ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
The Game ft. [various people] - Really is my favourite beat of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qMaH_x1BzA

The intro gets me hype as gently caress.