Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, I'd just like to point out a few things that bothered the hell out of me about this sequence:

1. Where the hell is Talia's elite guard? They're supposed to follow her around, but so far the only time that they've been together, they seemed surprised when she showed up to stop them from killing Batman. So... what are they doing? What purpose do they even serve?

2. Why didn't Talia just kill the Joker? Even assuming she was pissed at Bruce, this is ridiculous.

3. Why did Talia offer Joker information on the Lazarus Pit?! What purpose does this serve? Why would it even happen? The League of Assassins are all about killing criminals, especially lunatics like the Joker. We saw that their secret base was full of the corpses of mental patients who were violent due to regressed mindsets rather than actual evil so why would she make the DUMBEST possible move here and reveal the source of Ra's secrets to perhaps the worst criminal in Gotham. This isn't even underestimating the Joker; this is just blatant stupidity.

4. So, somehow Joker gets immortality, beats Ra's ninjas considering they'd have to be guarding the pit, survives Protocol 10, leads his army through Arkham City despite Hugo's forces all being armed and dangerous, and somehow gets out of Arkham City and destroys Gotham and the rest of the Batfamily with no significant resistance from anyone ever.

All because Catwoman doesn't lift a rock off of Batman.

Are you loving kidding? This is Mary Sue-ish even by Joker standards.

At least Killer Croc's hit him with a rock strategy has been proven to work in the Arkhamverse, though.

5. Continuing off of the above, did Hugo Strange supply Joker with better ammunitions than his own forces?!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

FeyerbrandX posted:

If anyone has taken advantage of the $10 batman bundle, I see it includes the season pass for Origins. Does anyone know if that does include the Freeze DLC? If it does I may take advantage, otherwise... I got all of it already, so meh.

Which bundle from where would this be?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, I'd just like to point out a few things that bothered the hell out of me about this sequence:

1. Where the hell is Talia's elite guard? They're supposed to follow her around, but so far the only time that they've been together, they seemed surprised when she showed up to stop them from killing Batman. So... what are they doing? What purpose do they even serve?

2. Why didn't Talia just kill the Joker? Even assuming she was pissed at Bruce, this is ridiculous.

3. Why did Talia offer Joker information on the Lazarus Pit?! What purpose does this serve? Why would it even happen? The League of Assassins are all about killing criminals, especially lunatics like the Joker. We saw that their secret base was full of the corpses of mental patients who were violent due to regressed mindsets rather than actual evil so why would she make the DUMBEST possible move here and reveal the source of Ra's secrets to perhaps the worst criminal in Gotham. This isn't even underestimating the Joker; this is just blatant stupidity.

4. So, somehow Joker gets immortality, beats Ra's ninjas considering they'd have to be guarding the pit, survives Protocol 10 with all of the missile launches, leads his army through Arkham City despite Hugo's forces all being armed and dangerous and launching fire at any grouping of criminals, and somehow gets out of Arkham City and destroys Gotham and the rest of the Batfamily with no significant resistance from anyone ever.

Are you loving kidding?

At least Killer Croc's hit him with a rock strategy has been proven to work in the Arkhamverse, though.

5. Continuing off of the above, did Hugo Strange supply Joker with better ammunitions than his own forces?!

I'm not saying it isn't really, really stupid. This game series fellates the Joker so hard it's starting to suck the paint right off his face. However, Talia was obviously buffing when she offered to teach the Joker about the Lazarus pits. You see her take the tracker she took off the ninja earlier and put it on her chest when she said 'follow your heart'.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

4. So, somehow Joker gets immortality, beats Ra's ninjas considering they'd have to be guarding the pit, survives Protocol 10, leads his army through Arkham City despite Hugo's forces all being armed and dangerous, and somehow gets out of Arkham City and destroys Gotham and the rest of the Batfamily with no significant resistance from anyone ever.

Yeah, you'd think Robin could just show up again and free Batman. If these rocks were so loving heavy that Batman couldn't bench press them off of himself, then why does Catwoman remove them with ease? She literally throws them aside like they're made of foam rubber.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

However, Talia was obviously buffing when she offered to teach the Joker about the Lazarus pits. You see her take the tracker she took off the ninja earlier and put it on her chest when she said 'follow your heart'.

Yes, I'm aware that's the case, but that still brings up the issue of telling the Joker about its existence in the first place instead of just running him through from behind and being done with it.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yes, I'm aware that's the case, but that still brings up the issue of telling the Joker about its existence in the first place instead of just running him through from behind and being done with it.

I don't know much about Talia. She is an assassin from the League of Assassins, and I thought killing guys like Joker was sort of what they did but maybe she didn't want to straight-up murder a guy right in front of Batman out of respect for his 'no killing' rule?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Okay,

1: I'm pretty sure Talia was actually sincerely picking batman's nemesis to replace Ra's as a gently caress-you-for-lying-to-us to Batman.
2: Talia's elite guard are ninjas, they can pop out and kill people whenever.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Which bundle from where would this be?

This one http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/batman-complete-bundle/

All 3 arkham games, for some reason origins and its dlc accounts for 2/3 of the package.

6 hours left... Hmmm.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ikanreed posted:

I'm pretty sure Talia was actually sincerely picking batman's nemesis to replace Ra's as a gently caress-you-for-lying-to-us to Batman.

That still makes no sense because, even assuming that she was angry at Batman, there's still the fact that the League of Assassins is meant to kill all of the corrupt elements of the world.

Putting a criminal in charge of that organization, especially one as capricious as the Joker, would be a perversion of their very MO.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Gothsheep posted:

I don't know much about Talia. She is an assassin from the League of Assassins, and I thought killing guys like Joker was sort of what they did but maybe she didn't want to straight-up murder a guy right in front of Batman out of respect for his 'no killing' rule?

Talia thinks Batman's no killing rule is dumb as poo poo and has repeatedly tried to get him to give it up (including in this very game) so this doesn't hold water. Arkham City may be the best of the three gameplay wise, but the story is awful. Joker having access to a Lazarus Pit would be almost completely irrelevant because the pit doesn't grant you immortality - it just brings the dead back to life. Joker would still lack any form of superpowers whatsoever so it would only take Wonder Woman going "Nope" and cracking his spine before that threat was over, and unless Harley dropped his body in the pit afterwards, he'd just stay dead. And even if he didn't stay dead, he's just come back as a loving human. It's totally nonthreatening.

And as a bonus: in the comics, using a Lazarus Pit (of which there were several) caused you to suffer temporary insanity. For Ra's, this typically manifested as a berserk rage when writers could be bothered to remember it. But at least two of Batman's supervillains have used Lazarus Pits on separate occasions and it actually had the same effect on both of them. Rather than being temporarily crazed, both the Riddler and the Joker instead had a few brief minutes of total clarity and perfect sanity. In their respective moments of sanity, Joker regretted everything he'd ever done and Riddler logically worked out exactly who Batman was (then later got hit in the head and fell into a coma, then woke up with his memories missing because writers seem to have no real ability to plot around somebody actually knowing who Batman is).

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

FeyerbrandX posted:

This one http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/batman-complete-bundle/

All 3 arkham games, for some reason origins and its dlc accounts for 2/3 of the package.

6 hours left... Hmmm.

Yeah I found it and picked it up. Already owned the goty of the first two but 10 is still a good deal for all of origins.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That still makes no sense because, even assuming that she was angry at Batman, there's still the fact that the League of Assassins is meant to kill all of the corrupt elements of the world.

Putting a criminal in charge of that organization, especially one as capricious as the Joker, would be a perversion of their very MO.

Yes. Yes it is. Did you notice the tracker she put on herself? It's totally a highschool romantic sitcom subplot dressed up as batman stuff.

The writing is bad, but it's bad in a calculated to appeal to teenagers based on writing cliches that work way.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I feel this story would make it into a batman comic at some point anyway. It feels good enough for comic books.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Ah, Catwoman, proving Batman isn't the only one who cheerfully burns his bridges by acting like a jerk in the Arkham series. Seriously, leaving Ivy's little request behind would have been one thing, but outright killing it off? That just begs for trouble down the line.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Maybe Talia's believes in that old proverb about not being able to stab the Devil in the back because what if you miss? Or it's some sort of roundabout twisty plan to force Batman to rescue her to "prove his love"; she probably is rather mad/hurt about the previous deception thing, so making Batman have to work his butt off to save her would make her feel he's committed again. Or she figures she can double-cross the Joker easily enough; not like she'd be the first person to underestimate him and her family does run to the massively overconfident. As for why she didn't bring her guards, given what's going on it's entirely possible her father is holding them back as part of the plan (or to keep them from being out getting shot at by TYGER anyway) and she's "gone rogue" to go save Batman herself, which is not exactly unprecedented behavior on her part. In any event I seriously doubt she made the offer to Joker in good faith, especially with the tracker she pulled out.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
The last Freeze tape is interesting, namely because the point that Freeze is making is right. Nora is in danger because of Strange, not Freeze. After all, while Freeze has issues, he's not insane, Strange however, is. As for Joker winning, all he has to do is just having enough of his men survive, then when Strange thinks that its over, strike at the tower, take it which he could do, and then turn all the weapons there on the city. Its not that unbelievable, after all, at this point, Joker has the majority of the inmates working for him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So I know you saw the point in the Arkham Thread where I addressed all of these. Why are you doing it again?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
You know, if you find all the Riddler stuff in an area and never interrogate his men, do they just start disappearing or do you just get no info from them?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Except the game just showed us that she pretty much made that offer 100% in good faith with the Catwoman Bad End.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

You know, if you find all the Riddler stuff in an area and never interrogate his men, do they just start disappearing or do you just get no info from them?

Riddler informants only exist as long as there is Riddler stuff to be found. Sometimes if you pick up the last thing you can while you have your detective vision on you can actually see formerly green thugs suddenly turn into normal thugs. That said, Riddler informants do not only give information related to the area they happen to be in. They will prefer to do so, but if you're beating up a dude in the Bowery and you've found everything in the game except for some poo poo in the Steel Mill, he'll give you the location of those items.

I've also never done this but I can only assume that if you did nothing the entire game but ruthlessly hunt down Riddler informants until you had everything on your map marked, they would stop spawning, because they will never try to give you information on trophies you already have tagged.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

So I know you saw the point in the Arkham Thread where I addressed all of these. Why are you doing it again?

I honestly don't remember that. I'll have to check that thread again.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

CuwiKhons posted:

Riddler informants only exist as long as there is Riddler stuff to be found. Sometimes if you pick up the last thing you can while you have your detective vision on you can actually see formerly green thugs suddenly turn into normal thugs. That said, Riddler informants do not only give information related to the area they happen to be in. They will prefer to do so, but if you're beating up a dude in the Bowery and you've found everything in the game except for some poo poo in the Steel Mill, he'll give you the location of those items.

I've also never done this but I can only assume that if you did nothing the entire game but ruthlessly hunt down Riddler informants until you had everything on your map marked, they would stop spawning, because they will never try to give you information on trophies you already have tagged.

Interesting because right now, none are spawning. I figure this is because I need to progress the plot for more to show up (I'm about to do the museum.) I don't know why but I like being forced to avoid knocking one dude out until the end. I wish those protected ones in the challenge maps were in the story mode too.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Captain Bravo posted:

Except the game just showed us that she pretty much made that offer 100% in good faith with the Catwoman Bad End.

Well, presumably, she was counting on Batman escaping his concrete prison, which he can't seem to do without Catwoman and Catwoman alone's help for some reason... It stands to reason that if Batman is trapped in place until Strange's guards find him and execute him, or Joker and Talia put too much distance on him, that Joker would probably find a way to gently caress up Talia's plan and just generally be a big loving nuisance.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I feel this story would make it into a batman comic at some point anyway. It feels good enough for comic books.
From what I'm reading in this thread, the criterion seems to be "silly enough".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
These questions get answered. Keep watching.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Actually the one thing that seems out of character (because Talia's stuff does get answered... sort of) is Selina destroying the orchid like that. That's just plain mean.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Samovar posted:

Actually the one thing that seems out of character (because Talia's stuff does get answered... sort of) is Selina destroying the orchid like that. That's just plain mean.

In the Arkham universe, everyone is sorta kinda a dickhead. Except Oracle and Alfred. That's probably my one complaint with the series, everyones always just kind of going the extra mile when it comes to being a dick.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Talk of how dumb that alternate ending was aside, I just gotta say it's been really, really, really weird for me to watch you do all those predator rooms without abusing the gently caress out of the Inverted Takedown.

I mean, I sometimes gave myself the personal challenge to use the same gargoyle to string up an entire room of thugs. Sometimes I even managed to do it! Man, that was satisfying. Just this HUGE PILE of thugs. You'd think they would stop standing under that gargoyle after seven of them got strung up there, but noooooooooooooo

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Shei-kun posted:

Talk of how dumb that alternate ending was aside, I just gotta say it's been really, really, really weird for me to watch you do all those predator rooms without abusing the gently caress out of the Inverted Takedown.

I mean, I sometimes gave myself the personal challenge to use the same gargoyle to string up an entire room of thugs. Sometimes I even managed to do it! Man, that was satisfying. Just this HUGE PILE of thugs. You'd think they would stop standing under that gargoyle after seven of them got strung up there, but noooooooooooooo

One of the mutators in the campaigns they can require to use either activates gun racks, or it places proximity mines on the gargoyles. Needless to say they're no longer very safe! I'm not a big fan of that particular mutator because AUGH MY SAFE ZONES but it can definitely be worthwhile as far as teaching you where you can go in the map.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of changing the subject, I can't help but wonder if the developers had plans to do more things with TITAN.

I mean, yeah, Bane has you go on a sidequest to destroy the containers, but nothing in-game changes to reflect that. There's a TITAN container in Penguin's museum, IIRC, but he still only has one TITAN thug whether you destroy it or not.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So can you leap off another thug onto a shielded thug and still hit him? I never thought to try that. Also, I can't remember but does freeze freeze the gargoyles at the beginning of his boss battle?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Also, I can't remember but does freeze freeze the gargoyles at the beginning of his boss battle?

They're already frozen before you enter the room, as I recall. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to track your footsteps.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

It's a shame you got spotted so early in the steel mill predator room; if you let them keep talking, one of them breaks into an impression of the Joker. I love that dude.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Yeah, it's a pretty good imitation. Some loving brass balls on that guy though, to stand around making fun of Harley and Joker while he's literally inside their lair, surrounded by dudes who could rat him out at any moment, Harley potentially roaming the base, and with Joker apparently monitoring the rooms (since he knows when you knock a dude out).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The best part is that it's John DiMaggio doing the Joker imitation. He played the Joker in Under the Red Hood.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So do you think the Riddler paid all those contractors or did he kill them? Truly, the biggest riddle of them all...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The people who made his Riddler Rooms? According to the tie-in comics, he got the buildings and such from Sherman Fine aka "The Broker". He's a guy who sells property to supervillains for their plans. I have no idea if Batman's ever gone after him for making criminal dealings, though.

Incidentally, Zsasz also got his hideout from Mr. Fine as well.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That's even funnier.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shei-kun posted:

The inverted takedown is the best because it allows you to leave presents for the other thugs. The best is when the guy is still conscious and 'Hey cut me down!' and his buddies are all 'WE GOTTA KILL BATMAN QUICK THEN WE'LL BE BACK' :downs:

Thugs are endearingly dumb.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That's even funnier.

Oh yeah this poo poo in the DC Universe is like a business. Same as villains costumes, I mean how the hell do you think the ones with special fire powers and such get them from? There's villain tailors, there's job agencys providing goons and matching outfits. It's generally accepted that villains don't gently caress with these guys because then all the other villains are going to stomp their teeth in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh hey then there's this.

Hugo more like Hugowned.

Protocol 10/Polsy - Interview tape: Catwoman 1

Arkham City Stories: Studying the Bat

Combat Challenge: Prison Riot/Polsy with Batman Beyond

This challenge map is kinda tough to get a good score on for the same reason that the first one, Blind Justice is. There's not a huge number of enemies to pad your score/combos out with. Of course, another reason the first challenge level was kinda poor score is I didn't really have any moves to use. EXCUSES.

• Locked thread