Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

That's one of my biggest pet peeves in a game - being given NO choice but to do something colossally evil or stupid and getting bitched out for it.

I might have been disappointed if I'd have been able to play SF3-2 in it's time, but after Golden Sun, this is just seems like par for the Camelot course. I certainly don't play their games to feel a sense of agency.

As awesome as it is to have a translation for these games... hot drat that's some painful writing. "'Now bear my arctic blast!' Get it? It was the cheesy voice clip from the last game! Ha ha!" :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
While hitting up the translation team for the next set of scripts for scenario 3, I ran into the inspiration for two of the characters for scenario 2:

Apparently they were really big in Japan in the 70s.

Man, everything about scenario 2 really sucks.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Scenario 2 made me feel really sorry for Medion. Any time the poor sucker has the chance to object or to do anything to stop his obviously evil dad, he gets railroaded into doing the stupid thing instead and is completely ineffectual. Medion's got to be as depressed as hell. Also, I'm bitter about the apparent deaths of several of the Scenario 1 characters that I liked.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I'm really curious about the finality of those defeats.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
No playable characters are permanently dead. Camelot has never attempted to reconcile the fact that death is cheap for PCs but permanent for NPCs, and that doesn't change in Shining Force 3. Which just makes the Fire Emblem-esque nature of their "death quotes" much sillier.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Jeremy Renner has aged well.

So long, Scenario 2. Now comes the fun of having no-one in your party again and everyone being low levels again. At least they'll be starting off at promoted levels, and you get an archer right from the start.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Hoss Corncave posted:

Jeremy Renner has aged well.

So long, Scenario 2. Now comes the fun of having no-one in your party again and everyone being low levels again. At least they'll be starting off at promoted levels, and you get an archer right from the start.

We get :black101: incarnate in this part. It's all good.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Jesus christ that was awful writing.

At least the character designs overall are pretty good. I've always liked Shining Force's designs. They're relatively sensible and yet still have good looks and even a bit of flair to them.

Except David and Hedoba. What the hell. (I don't care they're from another culture, those outfits are still dumb.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Serifina posted:

(I don't care they're from another culture, those outfits are still dumb.)

Worse. They aren't just from another culture...

They're from disco. :gonk:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Sweet, Scenario 2 is done, and soon we'll be moving into the Scenario with all the cool crazy units.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Sweet, Scenario 2 is done, and soon we'll be moving into the Scenario with all the cool crazy units.

Shining Force games typically have rather predominately mundane characters for the first two-thirds or so of their campaigns, and then bust out the really crazy fantastical units near the end.

The prospect of the seeing what kind of characters the third disc has to offer has me positively giddy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, what. What was this whole scenario's "But Thou Must" count? Dozens? Hundreds?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

Man, what. What was this whole scenario's "But Thou Must" count? Dozens? Hundreds?

Far too many. Let's leave it at that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Unfortunately, I chose a poor time to finish scenario 2, so it's going to take me a week or two to get the scripts for scenario 3. I might transcribe the first update by hand, since it's not too long, but there's no way in hell I'm going beyond that. But, to keep everybody's thirsts slaked, Shining Force Central does have the Shining Force 3 Design Works uploaded! So, have some concept sketches for a bunch of characters from the first two scenarios.

These are all clearly early drafts, and some of the characters looked significantly different. Dantares went through a few changes, and Masqurin and Cybel are unrecognizable.

Syntesis and Uryudo came through intact, though.

While Grantack looks mostly the same, this sketch has a boatload more detail to it. It's a pity they couldn't give him any detail as a character.

Edmund has seen some poo poo.

Not sure who the guy on the top-right is supposed to be. The symbol on his tabard is common to Syntesis and Uryudo's uniforms too, so it's probably a marking of Destonia, which also means it's probably not Hera without her hat.

Early versions of Abdark were rather horrifying.

Tristus looked quite a bit like Edmund early on. It's a good thing they were drawn differently in the end.

There's also a few unused designs here and there, which is pretty cool!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

inthesto posted:

Not sure who the guy on the top-right is supposed to be. The symbol on his tabard is common to Syntesis and Uryudo's uniforms too, so it's probably a marking of Destonia, which also means it's probably not Hera without her hat.

The note is that it's a discarded character.

quote:

Tristus looked quite a bit like Edmund early on. It's a good thing they were drawn differently in the end.

The line here is "Fans really liked Hedoba more than we expected, and hated David more than we expected. Was it because of their stats?"

Umm. Duh?

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 25, 2014

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

The note is that it's a discarded character, so it's neither.

The line here is "Fans really liked Hedoba more than we expected, and hated David more than we expected. Was it because of their stats?"

Umm. Duh?

That's a weirdly specific awareness of the problem to be phrasing it as a question. It's like someone at Camelot thought they could design a lemon of a character and make him mandatory, and then NOT have the player base resent that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Considering it took Camelot until their sixth game to get flying units right, it's very likely they vastly overestimated how useful having three different types of weapons available would be.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Being able to attack from 1-2 spaces away and use all 3 weapons of the weapon triangle would make an awesome unit...in Fire Emblem :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Shiki Dan posted:

Being able to attack from 1-2 spaces away and use all 3 weapons of the weapon triangle would make an awesome unit...in Fire Emblem :v:

Even then though, you'd still most likely go for the units who do one thing really well then the all-rounder who does things poorly. lovely stats make for a lovely unit, sorry to say.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
How goes the hunt for a script?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 72: Beginning of the End

It's time for the third and final installment of Shining Force 3. As implied in Medion's scenario, this scenario is going to pick up where Julian, Gracia, and Donhort depart from Medion's company. The first half is going to overlap with the last two chapters of the first two scenarios, and then the back end is going to cover new territory and complete the storyline.

Once again, I'm going to spoil something at the very start: While Julian's scenario is not nearly as hair-pullingly bad as Medion's, the majority of the interesting plot threads of the game are not going to get resolved here. Much like its much more well-known cousin Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force 3 opts to drop all the political intrigue and interpersonal conflict for some evil religion stuff that's very typical of JRPGs of the 90s. It's not as satisfying as I'd like it to be, but it's still okay and at the very least nowhere near as terrible as the crap we had to endure with Medion.

But hey, it's been a long journey. Let's start the end.

:angel: Master, I've followed your orders and brought the final hero as you requested. Master Gabriel... your guest IS waiting.

:smugwizard: I dozed off during the long wait. Now where were we? Ooh, I remember now!

:smugwizard: It's been quite a while, so I sent Fey for you. At last you've returned.

:angel: I knew you would make it back. Master is so impatient.

:smugwizard: Things are not developing as expected. That's why I'm a little anxious.

I like to believe that the reason for this line is because Medion constantly wimped out, contrary to Gabriel's expectations.

:smugwizard: You see, you're the only remaining hero and you must succeed. The fates of Synbios and Medion have been set. Now we depend on you to return us to our proper destiny.

:angel: Master Gabriel used his great powers to alter time. Now Julian is the only one who can save the world.

:smugwizard: However, my control over time is limited. I can grant you enough time to drive your fate onto the right track, and stop the invasion of evil. It's time for you to go now. Far thee well, Julian! Elbesem speed!

:angel: You are our last hope. The future of the world depends on you, Julian!

Synbios? You mean Lord Conrad's son?

Yes. Conrad was the finest general in the Empire and the one responsible for the independence of the Republic 20 years ago. The one that should be hated... Conrad is the most powerful figure in the Republic.

Hated, Bresby? The only people that hate him are Imperial officials. No one else speaks ill of him.

Just as you say, Kate. Lord Conrad has thrown away his privilege and abandoned a prejudiced society to create a nation of equality.

However, the Republic has reached its limit and its economy is in crisis.

How did that happen? Was it the drought and resulting poor harvest that caused the economic crisis and civil war?

That's part of it. However, the actions of government officials were what really sparked the war. They predicted the food crisis and began hoarding food, but it was obviously at the citizen's expense.

I can see both sides. I was surprised to learn a discontented Republican general joined the Empire.

You must be talking about General Edmund, who aided General Garzel in his plan to trap and murder the Republican King Benetram.

If a loyal general such as Edmund could have grown a seed of discontent in his heart, I can only assume he was tricked by a cunning individual.

It must have been a trap conceived by Crewart and his associates. After all, he called the Flagship a pile of trash, so he certainly can't see true substance.

This is dropped out of nowhere and whether or not we get Edmund in scenario 3, there is no further discussion of how he was convinced to betray Benetram.

It is said one can gain information about a general by investigating his subordinates. The true intentions of General Crewart and his commander have been revealed.

It's Prince Arrawnt, isn't it? He certainly is overambitious.

General Crewart made a pact with the Bulzome Sect and was very likely involved in the emperor's abduction... However, there is nothing we can do now.

Bah, it's still the same ol' Empire. It hasn't changed since the old days. Criminals get away with bribery. Even with all its problems, the Republic is still better than the Empire.

Excuse me, Donhort! You sound as if you are coming here to pick a fight with the Imperials... We are here to help them!

Speaking of Imperials, what is Prince Medion's relationship with that Republican Lord Synbios?

Prince Medion can't be judged by the Imperial standard. I heard he has a deep friendship with Synbios after they fought a couple of battles together.

I kind of wish Donhort would spend the entire scenario badmouthing the empire while under the command of imperials, but sadly it doesn't last.

Is that true, Bresby?

It seems they've fought a few battles together and now they share a mutual friendship. They understand each other. What is wrong with that, Captain?

It should not happen, Bresby...

What? What shouldn't happen?

The ideology of the Republic is incompatible with that of the Empire. I can't even count the number of Imperials killed because they approached the Republic looking for peace.

The Rainbloods are likely responsible. They're murdering anyone who seeks peace. They even targeted Prince Medion.

I don't know about that. The Rainbloods are under the direct command of the emperor. They can't really do anything until the emperor is rescued.

Not so. The Rainbloods are still active. Actually, we just fought against them in Elbesem.

Is that true, Donhort?!

That couldn't have happened... Absolutely not...

Are you saying I am lying? Ask Julian and Gracia. They can verify the events.

I don't think the captain believes you are a liar, Donhort. If what you say is true, that means they are being directed by the emperor even while he is captive. That also means Emperor Domaric is still reigning supreme.

It seems you are having an important discussion.

I awoke rested. I believe I'm fully recovered from my ordeal in Elbesem. I've been watching the sea from the window and I wanted to get some fresh air.

Speaking of that, Gracia... You were born on Elbesem Island. You must have enjoyed the sea during your childhood.

I didn't enjoy much during my childhood. I was born in my father's late years. My mother fell ill, never to recover. They were both gone before I was old enough to understand, so I barely felt parental love. The monk, who remained after my parents passed, obeyed my father's last words and administered harsh training throughout my youth. During those times the sea was the only thing that comforted me.

I can understand, Gracia. You have had a rough childhood. I could never have endured that.

At times I have cursed my destiny. However, after hearing Julian's life story, I have reconsidered.

Julian is from a far away nation called Enrich. He lost his father at a very young age, murdered by a Vandal.

After losing his father, Julian followed in his footsteps and became a mercenary. Julian set out with his father's friend, who became his guardian. Eventually, even his guardian was lost to battle.

Vandals only appear in ancient tales. When I heard that he is seeking revenge against a Vandal, I honestly doubted his sanity.

Don't blame yourself, Sir Bresby. Many have dismissed Vandals as fantasy and denied their existence.

That's very true. Actually, even the existence of Innovators is... please forgive me... denied among many.

Sadly, Innovators such as myself have disappeared from this world. The Bulzome Sect seeks to revive the Vandal Bulzome and the Thousand Year Kingdom. This event is...!

What's wrong, Gracia?

I don't know... but... I feel danger approaching.

Danger approaching... What is it?

It's strong... with intent to kill... and very evil... just like the Bulzome Sect...

Are they planning to ambush the Flagship on our way to help protect Destonia?

We sailed abruptly, so we don't have many soldiers aboard. What should we do, Bresby?

Well, we did receive a few soldiers from Prince Medion. The Julian force and you Kate... And you, Captain!

Me? What about me?

Are you going to stand idle while we're under attack?

What... Are you saying I can't hold my own? How rude. You underestimate sailors! I look like this now, but when I was young...!

Captain, hurry to the cabin... They're almost here!

Julian... We have to call our leader!

I heard the commotion from below. What's happening?

Stupid. If you would have kept running, you might have lived!

Ha ha! You won't make it to Destonia. We will defeat you here!

They are Destonia's invaders! If they survive, they will reveal our existence! We must defeat them, Julian!

Welcome to the first fight of scenario 3. It's all stuff that we've seen before in scenario 2, so the enemies aren't too much to sweat over here.

Scenario 3 breaks away from Shining Force tradition. Instead of starting us off with hero, knight, mage, and priest, we get hero, knight, archer, and pseudo-priest. Gracia is the first of the strange characters we get in scenario 3, and sadly he's one of the worst ones. Off the bat, you'll notice he's our only healing available, and all he has is Aura, which isn't optimal when the army is this small. We'll have to pack a few healing items early on, but this will be fixed soon enough. His other spell, Shining, is a nuke, but it consumes all your MP at once. Gracia suffers from some really bad MP management problems, and MP restoration never becomes an easily available option.

Note that if we had chosen to ice Stella in scenario 2, we'd get Edmund right off the bat, turning this easy introduction fight into braindead tedium. In a nutshell, Edmund is David done correctly. He gets access to rapiers, maces, and knives, meaning he never has weapon disadvantage and can use range if he wants. He also learns Tornado and Antidote which are useful though not amazing. While his stats aren't great, they're typically good enough to do whatever he needs to do in any given turn, and he gets attack up as his support. But we don't get him, and there's a fairly serious drawback to getting him that we'll run into soon.

The monks can hit pretty hard right away, which makes Gracia's tendency to chew through MP annoying.

However, the enemies tend to bottleneck themselves through the side of the ship, which makes things pretty easy.

All we really have to do it cut them off so they funnel in one or two at a time, and it's no big deal. Having Edmund as an extra damage soak and beatstick makes this fight impossible to lose.

Kate's battle sprite. Pretty good detail on her.

Since there's not much to the fight, we may as well give Shining a spin. It's the rare light elemental damage spell (the only other one we've seen so far is Thanatos) that has its base damage boosted for every point of MP Gracia spends on it. Whether it's tallied by total MP spent or excess MP spent (as it has a base cost of 8), I'm not really sure. Shining isn't something you're going to use very often, because we get enough magical firepower that Gracia is best used as an Aura-bot.

drat if it doesn't look cool, though.

After that, it's just cleaning up the residue.

An Innovator carrying the Staff of Besem... The Walcuray's... biggest threat...

Then, I've been asked to escort Gracia to battle the Walcuray?!

How funny that the Empire would request help from Gracia... Gracia, with my last breath I warn you... The Empire you intend to defend wants you dead! The emperor aims to take both your life and the Staff of Besem...

It's a lie! It's a trick! Has something happened to the emperor?

It seems the Bulzome Sect has created this rumour because they are worried about us aiding Destonia. Otherwise, we...

Is that so, Sir Bresby? What about the Rainbloods? The only explanation is that this is all the emperor's doing.

How was the... battle?

The Bulzome Sect... We've won this battle, but they've given us a dilemma along with our victory. The masked monk said the emperor seeks to take Gracia's life and possess the Staff of Besem.

If this is true, then saving Destonia will be saving the enemy.

Huh, Emperor Domaric? Wasn't he abducted?

However, if the Rainbloods were active, the emperor must have been commanding them from somewhere... Even if we believe he is responsible, what can we do?

As usual, the choice doesn't matter. If we pick yes:

Yes, I'm aware of the emperor's intentions. The Rainbloods, who answer only to the emperor, attempted to take my life...

How... even without evidence... Are you going to abandon Destonia, Gracia? It is being invaded by the Bulzome Sect!

You're right, Kate. I can't stand by while the Bulzome Sect invades Destonia. Julian, isn't it your dire wish to fight the Vandals?

No:

I agree, Julian. Although we suspect the emperor plots against me, there is, as of yet, no way to prove it.

Then, in the future, can the Empire count on your assistance?

The purpose of my leaving Elbesem was to battle the Vandals who seek to revive the Thousand Year Kingdom. It's your battle too, Julian.

At least in this case, it's very easily justified that Julian needs to take the fight to the Bulzome Sect, regardless of whether or not it's in Destonia's best interests.

Yes, if I am to avenge my father, then we must fight Bulzome wherever it shows its face!

Then it's decided. Sir Bresby, let's join forces to overcome the Bulzome Sect in the Imperial capital of Destonia!

If it's the wish of Julian and Gracia, who am I to say otherwise?

Then we are headed to defend Destonia...

We will reach Destonia shortly. Please rest until our arrival. It's only a little further to Destonia... I'll give you a shout when we get close, so until then get some rest.

Now we get to walk around the ship. There's not much to see. There's an item shop where I stock up on healing drops and a weapon shop with nothing to buy. There's also an HQ, but Donhort has the only interesting line:

Finally, once we exit HQ, the next part starts.

Rocking back and forth in this room is making me sick. I'm going up to the main deck to get some air.

That light, could it be land?

Did he say a light? It must mean a lighthouse! That means land!

What? Did someone say land?

Everyone, it's a lighthouse! Land is in sight!

It must be Destonia!

Sounds like we're finally close to Destonia, Julian. Let's go see!

It's Destonia, Gracia.

So that's where we'll be fighting the Vandal's ancient weapon?

Yes, the capital city of Destonia. A city overflowing with greed and corruption. What a truly despicable place.

Donhort! No matter how much you despise Destonia, it's the capital of our empire.

I am aware, Bresby.

NEXT TIME: Might as well have been a two part intro

inthesto fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 17, 2015

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Awesome to see this alive again! And the textures have made another leap forward. Also there's a random 189 in the middle of a block dialogue near the end.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
"Land?"
"Did someone say land?"
"There's a light, that indicates a lighthouse, which could possibly mean land."

I don't why but that whole exchange got me. I mean, the whole script is incredibly repetitive but that one in particular made me giggle.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Alacron posted:

"Land?"
"Did someone say land?"

I don't why but that whole exchange got me. I mean, the whole script is incredibly repetitive but that one in particular made me giggle.

Since we're in to Scenario 3 now, we need a new thread title. At the moment, something along the lines of "Land! Is it land? I think it's land! It must be land!" is my choice.

Only because we can't use "Oh get hosed, General Steel" yet

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Hoss Corncave posted:

Since we're in to Scenario 3 now, we need a new thread title. At the moment, something along the lines of "Land! Is it land? I think it's land! It must be land!" is my choice.

Purely off of Gracia, I want it to be "I'm chargin' mah laser"

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Donhort's triumphant evolution from lovely AI guest to dude who really hates the rear end in a top hat Empire is nice to see.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Let's Play Shining Force 3 Scenario 3: Do We Actually Get To Make Decisions This Time?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Raitzeno posted:

Let's Play Shining Force 3 Scenario 3: Do We Actually Get To Make Decisions This Time?

I need to see more before I'm convinced the title shouldn't be "Shining Force 3 Scenario 3: No, Choices Still Don't Matter."

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lotish posted:

I need to see more before I'm convinced the title shouldn't be "Shining Force 3 Scenario 3: No, Choices Still Don't Matter."

It's a Camelot game. Having played through the Genesis and Game Gear Shining Forces, plus Beyond the Beyond, plus the Golden Sun games? The only time I can think of a choice mattering whatsoever when it wasn't directly linked to character recruitment was in the beginning of Golden Sun when you could say "I don't want to be the chosen one" and have the game instantly end.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme

vibratingsheep posted:

Purely off of Gracia, I want it to be "I'm chargin' mah laser"

This one, please!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Shining Force 3: Scenario 3 - The Battle of Five Armies.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Alacron posted:

"Land?"
"Did someone say land?"

Yeah, one of the things I find interesting about this LP is that you can see just how much of a precursor these games were to Golden Sun with all of its excessive :words: and meaningless choices.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord that was a solid wall of exposition to start this game off. I suppose given two previous entire games there's a lot to recap.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 73: The bad exposition keeps coming

So, you've been reading their movements, and want to surprise them? You're certainly a valuable advisor.

:v: Oh, I was only following orders. I'll leave the Empire's protection to you!

We are between the Port of Destonia and the city. From here, we can follow the road to Destonia. Lead the way.

First thing we need to do is go below deck and raid the shop for healing drops. Since our only access to healing is the currently inefficient Aura, we need an alternative for at least one more fight.

Oh hey, there's a familiar name. This couldn't possibly spell trouble in the near future.

We learned Prince Mageron's advisor, Bresby was coming with an army to save the capital. We were curious what opponents he would bring for our enjoyment. However, these opponents are not up to our expectations. This army is way too small to challenge us, much less the ultimate weapon, the Walcuray. The high priest instructed us not to initiate a battle since we're but a defense battalion, but... We can take care of them ourselves! There's no need for the high priest to bother with this pitiful group!It's just an old man and a female attendant. We will take care of them ourselves!

How rude. Well, let's just see how quickly we can take them out!

Interesting... They're delusional as well... Kill them all!

It seems they have decided not to call the high priest. This is most favorable for us.

If they don't call reinforcements, then our victory should be secured. However, we still shouldn't underestimate them, Julian.

I forgot to cap the minimap, but there's not much to this fight. The boss monk sits on top of of a pile of crates we can't climb on top of, but he's the same guy we saw in scenario 2 with the Confuse 2 that they never use.

There's a bunch of barrels for the breaking, and one of them has a power wine. That's about all there is of interest in this fight.

Gracia also has a pretty flashy attack animation. Sadly, we won't get to see it often. Gracia doesn't do much of anything in this game.

His level up animation.

I still think of this fight as part of the intro.

Might as well, not like we need to conserve MP for anything.

It's still a question of picking guys off one by one, to milk all the experience possible.

If it seems that I'm being brief with the combat in this game, it's because there's still a lot of plot exposition to go through.

Urg... Since we thought your force was weak, we underestimated you. High Priest Goriate, please forgive...

Goriate, high priest of the Bulzome Sect... He must've been in the village.

Unfortunately, the main Bulzome force is marching towards Destonia Castle. Conquering Destonia Castle was our main priority, but we left the village defense weak. We should have left more soldiers here... Your luck will run out soon. After High Priest Goriate and his force conquer Destonia, you will be... by the Walcuray...

It seems they were the only Bulzome force left to guard Destonia. If... the entire force had still been here...

It seems luck was on our side. If we can continue to defeat the Bulzome Sect battalions one by one like this, the size of their army will gradually decrease.

Let's prepare ourselves at the village and hurry onward. Not even the strongest castle can withstand the Walcuray's attack for long.

There's a lot to do in Destonia, but I skipped taking screenshots of it this time because I didn't think I'd have scripts on hand. Instead, I chose to go to the next plot point, because it's wordy as hell. This next scene starts as soon as you walk into the church, which you can very well do first thing if you choose.

I was getting worried you might not make it on time, Bresby. If not for this Bulzome Sect invasion, I'd prefer the Empire destroyed.

You've never been one to mince words. I know your goal is to reform the Empire's prejudiced society, so there's no need to speak of its destruction.

Father Scholar! I didn't expect such extreme views from you.

Yes:

Are you really Julian? I'm indeed a priest, but I fill other roles as well.

No:

You don't believe I'm a priest? I assure you I am... on the surface.

Are you certain you can speak so freely? What if the soldiers hear? You are wanted... You'll be captured!

I came here risking that. I heard Gracia was with you, and I wanted to speak to him.

If you stop us from going to Destonia Castle, it will be taken, and that would mean the last of the Empire. Why delay us?

I used to be a scholar and advisor serving Destonia. Grantack and Bresby were my contemporaries, and we were rivals.

Scholar was the best among us. When he was working in the castle, he discovered how prejudiced our society was. So he abandoned his studies in order to reform the Empire.

I became a priest in Elbesem and returned here to Destonia Church. The entire time I've been organizing a resistance force to oppose the Empire.

So you're the mysterious leader of the Resistance the Imperial military is seeking?

That's me, young lady.

I'm surprised. So you're a leader of an anti-Imperial organization. And Bresby, our advisor has been keeping this from us.

So why do you stop us from going to the castle?

Actually, it's an elite force known as the Rainbloods.

Yes:

The Rainbloods have suffered because of the Staff of Besem. Even if they're not present at the castle, we still...

No:

So you believe Bulzome and the Vandals are more dangerous than the Rainbloods, Julian?

They're aware of this... They still wish to march on the castle. There's no way to stop them.

Okay, this right here is the main drawback to picking up Edmund. If he joined at the beginning, Isabella's part right here will go very different, and we don't get her right away. While we would get her eventually either way, it's important to know that she's the stand-in for Grace and Uryudo. Trying to get through the first two chapters of this game without her requires actual planning and strategy, and gently caress me if I have time for that.

Isabella...

How can you allow it?! Father Scholar! How can you allow the princess to go to such dangerous place... I... I can't agree!

Please don't stop me, Cyclops. I... I'm worried about Aunt Melinda.

Why is Princess Isabella here? Oh, you came to the church in remembrance of your mother, correct?

Prince Medion's mother, Lady Melinda, raised you as her own daughter... I understand how you feel.

Oh yeah, also Medion apparently has a younger half-sister that was never mentioned in the entirety of scenario 2. Nice work, Camelot.

I have Brigit with me. As long as she's protecting me, there's nothing to worry about.

It seems Princess Isabella is going to the castle with us.

Priest, you're not thinking of making us the princess's babysitters, are you?

Isabella has inherited her mother's talent. It seems your army is in dire need of soldiers with healing abilities. She should be a valuable asset for the Julian army.

Then... you will allow me to go?

To protect your honour, I will allow it.

Saying yes isn't interesting at all, but if we say no:

...I guess you won't give in, even after being rejected. Your determination is as strong as your mother's.

Father Scholar speaks in Isabella's place because of reasons. Okay, whatever.

If you don't agree to take us, I'll do my best to stop the Julian army right here. You wanna fight me, or take us with you? You decide!

Brigit, you're okay too.

I believe she is serious. We should take them with us.

You'll soon realize you made a wise choice.

I'm coming, Aunt Melinda. Before the castle is taken, I'll come to your aid.

Now that we have that decided, what's the situation with the Empire?

The Imperial army is helpless because the flying weapon controlled by the Bulzome Sect is far too strong.

That's the Walcuray. It's impossible to destroy with normal weapons. You must destroy the staff that controls it.

So, that's what the Walcuray is? You must be talking about the staff the high priest possessed. It seemed strange to me at the time. He stuck the staff in the center and backed away.

Is that so... Perhaps even the high priest has to stay away from the staff because the power radiating from it is too strong.

So do we now have a strategy to defeat the Walcuray, Gracia? Let's depart quickly, Julian. We must defeat them before the castle is taken.

You don't have to be so impatient, Bresby. They'll just be displaying their might. They'd like to take the castle without causing any damage.

NEXT TIME: Giant cities! Annoying AIs!

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I never realised that having Edmund meant you didn't get Isabella early on, but then again I always tried to go for the happy storyline which made getting him an event that would never happen.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Shining Force, Part 3.1

Mercenary from the Enrich Kingdom who pursues the Vandal Galm to avenge his father's death. Young swordsman who vows to help Gracia stop the return of Bulzome.
Pros: Is a Shining Force hero
Cons: Which means he is mostly indistinguishable from the others
Support: Attack Up
Spells: Egress/Spark/Inferno
Thoughts: Just like Synbios and Medion, Julian has really good stats across the board and not many weaknesses, if any at all. Because he specializes in blades, his agility tends to be on the lower side while his raw attack power is higher, but that's about all there is to set him apart from the other two. He somehow manages to have even less of a personality to boot.

Innovator on a quest to save the world. Highest authority in the Elbesem religion. Joined by the Julian army to prevent the return of Bulzome.
Pros: Has power magic
Cons: Not enough MP to go around, generally below average stats
Support: Magic Resist Up, Luck Up
Spells: Aura/Shining/Inferno/Blessing
Thoughts: Gracia has an interesting spell set that unfortunately doesn't do much other than overkill his target at the cost of gross MP inefficiency. He also doesn't have good enough stats to make attacking worthwhile, and his supports aren't too useful either. Not a good character by any means, and we never get to send him to the bench either.

Veteran knight who finds new purpose after realizing the danger the world and Elbesem are facing. Accompanies Gracia and the Medion army to battle the Bulzome Sect.
Pros: Can now be controlled like a normal character
Cons: Gets replaced by a cooler character who doesn't have a history of being annoyingly useless
Support: Enemy Critical Down
Thoughts: Donhort is our replacement for Dantares and Campbell, but he doesn't shine nearly as much as his predecessors. In a scenario with a much more varied cast and several future characters who will play the mobile beatstick role much better, Donhort will be left in the past sooner or later. Luckily, he gets his snappy remarks in early, which makes him an okay guy.

Sniper who sailed with Bresby to report the Walcuray's attack on Destonia Castle. Acoompanies the Julian army, which seeks to save Destonia.
Pros: Overall better of the two dedicated archers
Cons: Low defense
Support: Critical Up
Thoughts: Kate is an archer. There's only one other archer, and she's clearly the better one. Not much else to say about her. Good but plain.

Former Republican general who conspired with Imperial General Garzel. Betrayed and cast down a waterfall, he was thought dead but spotted in Barrand on Produn's ship.
Pros: All around above average stats, extremely versatile, first non-hero with attack support who isn't total doo-doo
Cons: Denies early access to Isabella, we won't be getting him anyway
Support: Attack Up
Spells: Tornado/Antidote
Thoughts: Compared to his replacement that we'll be getting later on, Edmund sacrifices raw firepower for versatility. Between rapiers and maces, he never has to deal with weapon disadvantage. While his spells aren't as powerful, Tornado 4 can get the job done and he's the only character other than Isabella who learns Antidote, which is actually pretty drat useful. A good character and it's always fun to recruit a villain, but he does make the rest of scenario 1 pretty hard.

In service of Princess Isabella since childhood. When Destonia is threatened, Isabella joins the Julian army. Brigit joins to remain with Isabella.
Pros: Great spell set, never runs out of MP, is dressed like she's from a 90s magical girl anime
Cons: Unlike Syntesis, does not get to meet her tag team partner early on
Support: Magic Up
Spells: Spark/Drain/Attack
Thoughts: While Spark is a spell that uses up MP quickly, Brigit will also get Drain which costs almost nothing. Drain is interesting, because the level 2 version will drain MP instead of HP. Combine that with Attack, and she has a very fun spell set that isn't boringly straightforward. Just remember to toss a defensive accessory on her, since Drain has no range to it.

Daughter of Domaric and his third wife. Worries for Melinda since Destonia Castle is under attack. Isabella and Brigit join the Julian army.
Pros: Healer
Cons: Straight port of earlier characters in a scenario with more interesting designs
Support: Magic Defense Up
Spells: Heal/Antidote/Aura
Thoughts: Other than being a one to one conversion of Grace and Uryudo, the only thing to say about Isabella is why the hell wasn't she mentioned once during all of Medion's scenario? Also, she's pretty good evidence that scenario 3 had a completely different character designer, whether it's for better or for worse. Seriously, cover up young lady, your brother would be embarrassed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

<--- The gently caress is wrong with this guy?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
HALF-sister?

Uh-oh, I've played enough JRPGs to not like where this is heading...

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Wasn't he only half-brother to at least one of the other princes too? Domaric is a player, I thought we knew that already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Raitzeno posted:

Wasn't he only half-brother to at least one of the other princes too? Domaric is a player, I thought we knew that already.

Medion is indeed the half-brother to Mageron and Arrawnt (who are full brothers) and he's significantly younger than them, so it's not a stretch to infer that Domaric is a widower.

As for why he booted his second wife and took a third one, the fact that he's willing to hold Melinda hostage just to manipulate his son into winning a territory dispute on his behalf is probably a large factor.

Like I said, Medion's family situation is suspiciously close to the Beoulve's.

• Locked thread