Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

wheez the roux posted:

you wrote your question inside my quote; it took me a minute to figure out you weren't just empty quoting me :v: anyway I'm really not sure since I haven't had that problem. are you sure you followed all the steps correctly, whisked it together extremely thoroughly, had the right measurements, etc? did you try to sub a different kind of cheese? if you don't have a good creamy cheese or if you're using lower fat cream if might not work properly, maybe it cooked too hot or there was something acidic? just for clarification, when you say it broke, do you mean the grease separated and floated on top and it got grainy? it's a cheesy cream sauce, it should be almost infinitely forgiving so i can't really imagine how that would happen. I'm sure someone else here can venture a better guess than me

Ha. Phone posting and missed that.

Yeah, the sauce separated out and got weird. I don't know what I may have done, I followed the SE recipe as close as I could. It was a year ago and i thought that maybe thats just The Way It Is Supposed To Be. I am willing to try it again though because it should be delicious. I used parmesiano reggiano cheese, heavy cream, all the good stuff. I wonder if doing it in the thin aluminum service pans could have ruined it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That Works posted:

Leftover sous vide round steak cuts on toast briefly grilled with a bit of munster on top. Also a heavy tomato soup, thickened a bit with a baked yam for sweetness and some heft, wanted something pretty filling with a lot of overpowering flavors on an extremely cold day.

What about beef on toast with melted muenster screams "overpowering flavors"? I'm certainly not trying to poo poo on your post (since I'd happily eat the hell out of all of that), I'm simply curious.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Things with kale..

salty chips on red lentil, roast squash and garlic soup

sweet carrots & garlic with spaghetti, sourdough bread crumbs, chilli, capers

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Just realized I compose all of my food pictures exactly the same, in the same harsh yellow light... so everything looks the same. Oh well.

It's Taco Tuesday, so...spice marinated shredded chicken tacos simmered down with onion, grape tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapeno and garlic... topped with raw jalepeno slices, avocado, scallion and lime. Double corn tortillas. Yum.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

sweat poteto posted:

Things with kale..

salty chips on red lentil, roast squash and garlic soup

soup recipe? my friend just moved to DC and she's working at williams-sonoma while she's getting her interpreter's licensing done; they had a 40% sale off on some kitchen appliances on top of the employee discount so she got a vitamix 750 for just over $300 :captainpop: i'm super jealous and trying to give her as many good soup recipes as I can find. i'm also saving up to give her the money so she can buy the entire all-clad copper core line for me and save me over a thousand bucks on my dream purchase :v:

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 10, 2014

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Peel, dice and roast squash with some oil under foil for 30 mins then uncovered for 15 til soft and caramelizing. Roast a head of garlic at the same time. While that's going on boil a cup of red lentils in plenty of water with a sprig of thyme and some chilli flakes. When squash is done, combine everything and blend.

If you want the greatest soup though, you gotta make gypsy soup from moosewood.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Midniter posted:

What about beef on toast with melted muenster screams "overpowering flavors"? I'm certainly not trying to poo poo on your post (since I'd happily eat the hell out of all of that), I'm simply curious.

Ah, more the whole thing, beef and melted cheese was pretty oily and the munster had more sharpness to it than expected for some reason. Also the tomato soup was very very garlic heavy and had a strong tang from the tomatoes as well. It wasn't like a spicy thing but the flavors across the board weren't subtle at all.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006
gently caress yeah meatloaf :cool:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I made kangaroo lasagne.

Contains 1kg of meat, 1600g of tomatoes, about 600g of cheese (cheddar inside and Parmesan on top), some garlic, mustard, herbs, pepper and Tabasco. No Béchamel sauce because I can never be bothered.

Serves up to eight.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Had our work's version of secret Santa this week. My Santee is really into caramel, so I made some with Italian lime juice and mediterranean sea salt. It didn't quite have enough tooth to it to be happy giving it away by itself, so I made a batch of brown-butter dough and made lime caramel stuffed brown-butter cookies. She loved them. :D

Sorry about the poo poo photography, but the one cookie I had before giving the rest away was delicious, so I wanted to post.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I made a pie. I only have a crappy celphone picture, but here it is:

I am letting it rest until tomorrow, but I think it came out pretty good for a first effort.

Mmmm, pie. :yum:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Beef stew, fresh bread, Tyranena Rocky's Revenge

BLEAT

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Beef stew, fresh bread, Tyranena Rocky's Revenge

Hell yeah, Midwest is the best.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
sourdough/brie/cripps pink apple/bacon/cheddar/bacon grease

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ogopogo posted:

sourdough/brie/cripps pink apple/bacon/cheddar/bacon grease

My heart just seized up, not sure if it's love or an impending heart attack.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I can't tell if brownies are meant to be this gooey, did I do it wrong? :ohdear:

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Want those brownies in my mouth right now.

My last chocolate banana bread came out gooier than usual, too - thanks, new oven! - but it somehow made it even better.

panorama_change
May 23, 2008

Inertia is a property of matter.
I baked a goddamn loaf of bread!! (My first time making bread)

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Okay, it might not look that great, but I was pretty happy with my bo ssam spread last night, and so were the stoners who rapidly closed in and gobbled it up as I was trying to snap a better picture.

Lessons learned: I am incapable of cooking tofu without gluing it to the pan, and I can't turn the oven on above 450 without setting off the fire alarms (should probably clean the oven).

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
one day I had babi kecap on rice

and the next day I had some (rather large) oysters with a grapefruit dressing as an appetizer

I forgot to photograph the fishes that came next..

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Hamburger with bacon ground in, caramelized slice of onion between the cheddar slices.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

yoshesque posted:

I can't tell if brownies are meant to be this gooey, did I do it wrong? :ohdear:

My mom's consistently look that gooey and she's been making them for thirty years. She mixes chocolate chips into the batter though. Those look great; were the tops crispy-ish?

franco posted:

Something trivial for me. A friend was raving about trying some method for making oven fries/chips. I've never owned a deep fat fryer and years of childhood PSAs have made me a total chicken about pan and basket (apparently you so much as look at them and the kitchen burns down).

It is hardly a method at all it's so stupidly simple. Oven to highest, cut spuds (desirée ideally), blanch in boiling water for 3 mins, drain, toss in groundnut oil in a roasting tin until evenly coated, season, bake for 15-20 mins, turning a few times. And they are so drat good - crispy on the outside and fluffy in. Why the gently caress have I been eating lovely frozen oven chips all my life? Why did nobody tell me it was this easy? I feel so foolish...

(please ignore sacrilegious scampi bites in background ;))

Turns out the method was apparently via Gordon Ramsay. So looks like he's perfected the humble chip much like he did with his own superior method for scrambled eggs :can: *bolts*
Also I'm stealing this tonight.

kinmik fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 16, 2014

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

yoshesque posted:

Gooey brownies best brownies.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Had a spare potato and half a zucchini so.... latkes

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tried my hand at Modernist mac & cheese for the first time last night. It was so loving stupidly dead simple, I wonder why I ever settled for the boxed crap before. Absolutely amazing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

The Midniter posted:

Tried my hand at Modernist mac & cheese for the first time last night. It was so loving stupidly dead simple, I wonder why I ever settled for the boxed crap before. Absolutely amazing.

Linku recipe

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Here you go,
http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

easier to follow version:
http://cookingmadly.com/modernist-macaroni-cheese/

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

The Midniter posted:

It's just fantastic. The only thing preventing me from doing it more is I want to use tasty expensive cheeses and it's also quite unhealthy :btroll:

vampire
Aug 31, 2006

Mister Son of a beeetch
Noob question but my modernist cheese sauce always comes out so thin that it just sits at the bottom of the serving dish rather than being this luxurious cheesy sauce that coats the pasta. What am I doing wrong?

Logic tells me that I should probably use less water but how come everybody else seems to get great results with the standard recipe? I'm still a novice in the kitchen so tend to stick religiously to the measurements in the recipes as I don't have the confidence yet to gently caress about with things through fear of ruining the dish.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

vampire posted:

Noob question but my modernist cheese sauce always comes out so thin that it just sits at the bottom of the serving dish rather than being this luxurious cheesy sauce that coats the pasta. What am I doing wrong?

Logic tells me that I should probably use less water but how come everybody else seems to get great results with the standard recipe? I'm still a novice in the kitchen so tend to stick religiously to the measurements in the recipes as I don't have the confidence yet to gently caress about with things through fear of ruining the dish.

Have you tried it with milk instead? You also might not be simmering long enough.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

vampire posted:

Just add more cheese. It gets thicker the more cheese you add. I make the queso sauce (same stuff), and I like it thicker than what the recipe calls for, so I just add more until I like the consistency.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Veggie chili with butternut squash, black beans, onion, red bell pepper, celery and corn. Topped with queso fresco.

emotive fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 18, 2014

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

goodness posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html

Here is a pretty great article for smashed burgers. I love serious eats so much.

I made this the other day and didn't capture any pictures because it was so goddamned DELICIOUS that I couldn't help but devour it immediately. Coupled it with caramelized onions, mushrooms, jalapenos, mayo/Sriracha, a slice of Swiss cheese under a grill-panned bun, and homemade fries (Gordan Ramsay's recipe, etc.). I literally have no desire to eat another restaurant-made burger (fast food or otherwise) for the rest of my life.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

paraquat posted:

and the next day I had some (rather large) oysters with a grapefruit dressing as an appetizer

I forgot to photograph the fishes that came next..

This intrigues me. I need to try grilling some oysters sometime.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
skirt steak tacos

drat you imgur/firefox, you fuckin' my colors up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kenji's mushroom risotto. Paid friggin Whole Foods $15 for half an ounce of dried porcinis, it's like 1/8 that price online.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

ogopogo posted:

skirt steak tacos

drat you imgur/firefox, you fuckin' my colors up.

Nice food, and nice aperture size/focal distance :P

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I attempted to make some noodles.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I cookied.

I think these are the prettiest cookies I have ever produced. I've been steadily perfecting my recipe -- I started with Keller's recipe as a base and modified slightly -- and I think I've finally nailed it all, including the baking time. I made these as little end-of-year gifts for the staff at one of my best hangouts, but I made a ton so I'm going to have lots of leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

guppy posted:

I cookied.

I think these are the prettiest cookies I have ever produced. I've been steadily perfecting my recipe -- I started with Keller's recipe as a base and modified slightly -- and I think I've finally nailed it all, including the baking time. I made these as little end-of-year gifts for the staff at one of my best hangouts, but I made a ton so I'm going to have lots of leftovers.

Mmmmm, those look nice and crispy. :yum:

• Locked thread