Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

Thesoro posted:

You people are insane. Just use parachutes until you unlock landing gear.

I think the problem is more about "taking off" than it is about "landing"

Although obviously that problem can be solved by just slapping a bunch of SRBs onto your plane! :jeb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If I already own KSP do I have to buy it again to get this update or no, phone posting so I can't check right now.

The_Censorship_Nazi
Jan 1, 2008
Banned in over 52 nations since 1946!

Tusen Takk posted:

If I already own KSP do I have to buy it again to get this update or no, phone posting so I can't check right now.

Nope, this update is another free one for all current KSP owners. Think of it as being like a really, REALLY meaty game patch.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Kinger posted:

I think the problem is more about "taking off" than it is about "landing"

Although obviously that problem can be solved by just slapping a bunch of SRBs onto your plane! :jeb:
Ah, ok. In that case, I recommend launching vertical using landing legs - for small planes, a single jet engine will have enough thrust to get you off the ground and flying.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I wish it was possible to see which buildings unlocked what before upgrading them.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Edminster posted:

I wish it was possible to see which buildings unlocked what before upgrading them.

Mouse-over the upgrade button.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
For testing the Landing Gear at a sub-orbital trajectory, the "test" button doesn't appear when all the prerequisites are met. Bug or am I doing something wrong?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Returning from a survey mission:

The little plane I built had tons of fuel and was really nicely manueverable on the ground (wide wheelbase + low CoM I guess) so I put the jet engine on about 2% power and taxied around a bit. I think each building counts as its own biome, which a quick headcount gives as around 12-15 biomes reachable near KSC ("KSC", VAB, SPH, Runway, Launchpad, Crawlerway, Astronaut Complex, Administration, R&D, Tracking Station, Mission Control, maybe the Flagpole; and then the 'standard' Grasslands, Shores, and Water biomes) which you can pretty much get to all as soon as you have some sort of wheels. I haven't tested with real experiments yet but I think even in .25 you could get unique science from all of them.

So no, I don't think wheels are too far into the tech tree. Even if you're conservative and just do 10 of the "biomes", and just use goo pods (~5.4 science recovered, I think), EVA reports (2.4) and crew reports (1.5), that's 93 science you can get just by having wheels, which is enough to get the thermometer (and then send the same mission out with thermometer and materials bay, and that's probably another 180 there). Not even really all that "grindy", I grabbed 4 biomes after going on a several-hundred-km survey mission and it only added about 2 minutes after landing. (Part of this was just because I overshot the runway because landing on that Level 1 runway is HARD and I bounced and had to taxi back to the space center anyway) But the point is you can extremely easily hit all the sub-100 science nodes without ever leaving the atmosphere, and at that point you're still constrained by budget to upgrade facilities (Launchpad and R&D) before you can reasonably launch missions beyond LKO.

Also, regarding the runway, even with wheels taking off is a shaky prospect. Literally. The plane was about 80% of the allowed width in the Level 1 SPH, with the rear wheels about 2/3 of the way out from the center, and they were already out beyond the flat center portion of the runway. I know what I'm upgrading after I get R&D and the Launchpad done.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anyone have any tips for upgrading buildings? I upgraded my launchpad to lvl 2 and kind of torn on which one to do next. More contracts so I be more efficient with launches and can get more money faster?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Away all Goats posted:

Anyone have any tips for upgrading buildings? I upgraded my launchpad to lvl 2 and kind of torn on which one to do next. More contracts so I be more efficient with launches and can get more money faster?

Mission Control is a very cheap upgrade comparatively, so you should upgrade that and then use the increased money flow to upgrade the Tracking Station afterwards.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Away all Goats posted:

I upgraded my astronaut complex for EVAs, which was a good idea.

Also rep to science is still a fantastic thing to invest in (because rep doesn't do anything)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

My strategy for pre-wheel planes is to but a radial separator on the lower front attached to a girder, then a bunch of separatrons at the back. Firing them and the separator at the same time shoots me immediately into the air and gets the intake air pumping for my jet engine, and it's all gravy from there.

This is the first time in a KSP career that I've unlocked the airplane parts first, rather than last.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
So is there a consensus on that new DDS converter vs Active Texture Management? Is there any difference other than loading time?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Niven posted:

So is there a consensus on that new DDS converter vs Active Texture Management? Is there any difference other than loading time?

DDS is the superior technology.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I had some issues with converting all my textures to DDS, so I just left the DDSLoader plugin in my folder and went back to ATM. That way I can still handle it if mods start using DDS textures.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Count Roland posted:

What is the "community tech tree"? Is it from your Community Resource Pack?

One of Nertea's projects that I totally support. Alternate tech tree with about 50 new nodes and LOTS of science!

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Community Tech Tree is an effort to have a unified tech tree for every mod out there, so people don't have to come up with their own tech trees and can just pick a node to put their parts in.

Dekko
May 23, 2007

Luneshot posted:

Community Tech Tree is an effort to have a unified tech tree for every mod out there, so people don't have to come up with their own tech trees and can just pick a node to put their parts in.

Aaaah, I guess that explains why there are empty nodes. Assumed it was a bug.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Anyone else getting horrible VAB/SPH performance?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Cubey posted:

Mission Control is a very cheap upgrade comparatively, so you should upgrade that and then use the increased money flow to upgrade the Tracking Station afterwards.

When I hovered over the MC upgrade it said that the tracking station was a requirement. Or at least that's how I interpreted the yellow text, can you just upgrade it anyway? I went with the complex first so I could do EVAs.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Ratzap posted:

When I hovered over the MC upgrade it said that the tracking station was a requirement. Or at least that's how I interpreted the yellow text, can you just upgrade it anyway? I went with the complex first so I could do EVAs.

That text means that the upgrade the building would give you requires another building to be upgraded too. You can always upgrade mission control for the extra contracts and the flight planning portion will kick in once you upgrade the tracking station.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Also, 0.90's FAR doesn't seem to be working right for me. Now and then I get Kraken-like random spazzes and now, trying to go back home, my ship just spazzes really quick and blows up randomly.

Given my F3 log I'm betting it's FAR's fault.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've found the source of my performance issues: looking at Kerbin. Even with terrain detail at minimum and SM3 terrain shaders disabled, performance tanks whenever a significant amount of Kerbin is in frame. Look mostly at space and everything is fine.

Wtf.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The ocean surface is slightly transparent so rendering it is much more expensive than dry land. I'm not sure if there's a setting or mod that disables this.

e: apparently there is, I have to do that myself now

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 17, 2014

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The water is the problem. There's a KSP forum thread that tells you how to fix it.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43253-Default-Terrain-Quality-Without-most-of-The-Lag%21

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nielsm posted:

Yes. You can trigger your chutes way outside the atmosphere and they will automatically half-deploy when your craft hits the atmospheric density configured for each one, and full-deploy when you reach the radar altitude configured for each one.
There is usually never any reason to manually time your chute deployment, just let the game do it for you.

I like to trigger chutes as late as I can so that I spend less time waiting to float to the ground.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I like to trigger chutes as late as I can so that I spend less time waiting to float to the ground.

I used to do this, but 4x speed acceleration makes the wait negligible. Just be sure to turn it down to 1x before touchdown to avoid physics fuckery.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

For anyone fighting with plane controls its really worth it to shove in a 360 controller at the minimum if you have it. Handles so much easier that way.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Is anyone else seeing issues with multiple command pods and SAS? I had jeb in a Mk1 capsule, and Bob in the inline cockpit on a mun flyby. Jeb was piloting, and every time I tried turning SAS on (after initially making orbit just fine) the entire craft would just refuse to turn towards pro/retrograde with those commands. There was plenty of electric power and I was definitely controlling from Jeb's pod. Manually turning wasn't an issue, and doing regular "stability" SAS makes the craft vibrate violently, especially in the roll direction. I turned the torque off in Bob's cockpit and it was fine. It seems to not like having multiple crew-controllable torque sources.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Roverdude, what's the story on ORSX? The USI mods have been updated, but OSRX hasn't been, and I thought they depended on ORSX...

E: nm, they depend on Regolith now don't they

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 17, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

And to make a minor liar out of myself, I still can't fly for poo poo at over about 18k altitude because the instant I try to do the slightest turn at 600+ m/s at that height it becomes a constant battle to keep my plane in a straight line because it just keeps wobbling all the gently caress over the place.

Any pro tips/designs on high altitude planes? These visually check X spot missions are worth a lot but a pain in the rear end to do because of instability at height and speed.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Alaan posted:

And to make a minor liar out of myself, I still can't fly for poo poo at over about 18k altitude because the instant I try to do the slightest turn at 600+ m/s at that height it becomes a constant battle to keep my plane in a straight line because it just keeps wobbling all the gently caress over the place.

Any pro tips/designs on high altitude planes? These visually check X spot missions are worth a lot but a pain in the rear end to do because of instability at height and speed.

Are you using FAR? If so, you need to pull up the window in the SPH and start checking the stability parameters at all of the expected densities and mach values you'll fly through. Green and white numbers are good, red numbers are a recipe for a bad time. You'll have to tweak the position of your everything to get it workable for the entire range. It's a good idea to have a decent amount of pitch authority to counter mach tuck. Pay special attention to the trans-sonic range (.95-1.05 usually, depends on your craft), as different control surfaces have the airflow go supersonic at different times. Also, you generally can't turn at high speed/altitude, unless you don't mind having a turning radius measured in hundreds of km.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 17, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I am not using FAR.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I can't seem to complete the "achive 5000 meters" contract with RoverDude's sounding rockets.. Does it have to be a manned flight?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Collateral Damage posted:

I can't seem to complete the "achive 5000 meters" contract with RoverDude's sounding rockets.. Does it have to be a manned flight?

I tried this too. It didn't work with unmanned, but worked with manned.

I guess if you're going by the stock parts then the unmanned parts unlock much later than the point where you're reasonably expected to have reached 5000m.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Alaan posted:

I am not using FAR.
I can't give any advice on maintaining high altitude, but if your jet has good TWR you can just skim the high altitude marks by aiming steeply up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The USI mods should now be showing up in CKAN for 0.90 :toot:

Except the Survivability Pack for some reason, not sure what's going on there.

Now I'm just waiting for RemoteTech, TAC LS, and Kerbal Construction time.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Has BetterAtmospheres, Distant Object Enhancement and other prettiness stuff ever been in CKAN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
If folks are having trouble landing planes on the bumpy runway, just land to the left of it. :v: The terrain is pretty smooth.