Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Finally got off my rear end and worked with Mullowny Printing to make some letterpress work. Next will be soft-ground plates.

I'm doing an edition of 50 of these and painting each one differently. It's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

quote:

brush talk

Thanks so much! I now have a way better understanding of brushes. Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough pulling the trigger on one of those Kolinsky rounds while they were on sale and now they're all (indefinitely?) backordered

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Thanks so much! I now have a way better understanding of brushes. Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough pulling the trigger on one of those Kolinsky rounds while they were on sale and now they're all (indefinitely?) backordered

They'll come back so don't worry. I'm not up to speed on how the market for high end brushes actually works, but they definitely fluctuate a bit in terms of availability and cost at least on Amazon. Just keep checking Amazon now and again and wait for the ones you want to show up at a reasonable price. Could always try ordering directly from the company too.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Got back into the swing of things, working on a brand new painting.
"The One Who Feeds" wip

Posting from Awful app, let me know if that breaks tables.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Dreadwroth posted:

Got back into the swing of things, working on a brand new painting.
"The One Who Feeds" wip

Posting from Awful app, let me know if that breaks tables.

This is pretty neat. Any further along by now?

Been thinking a lot about witches and sorcery and stuff lately for some reason. Made this the other night.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Another commission illustration for a goon made RPG, all traditional:

(link to facebook thing)

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That is a pretty awesome illustration there, as for the painting well you could say things are progressing.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A mixed-media painting I did last weekend with a model.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
My qatte, I draw she inna ink

Only registered members can see post attachments!

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Zoben posted:

poo poo that's good.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Symbols and Artifacts used in the story I am doing.

Bottom left: The Third Eye of the Anthropos.

Top: The Final singal of Trypa

Right: Two sides of whats inside the Third Eye of the Anthropos

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Zoben posted:

Woah - what kind of pen? That's some crazy detail!

Bad Milk
Nov 14, 2014

click here for big booty bitches

neonnoodle posted:

Heavier paper is better, because thickly-painted gouache can crack when dry. If the paper is too thin, the buckling of the dried paper can induce cracking or make it worse. But if you work moderately and don't layer the paint that thick, any paper suitable for wet media will work, even things like the heavier plain Moleskine sketchbooks.

I got some really nice paper once for gouache but it was too thin and it would curl up or crunch up (sorry I don´t know the verb in English) so what I did was place the paper I was going to use on top of double-sided adhesive paper and then stick the other side onto cardboard. It worked perfectly so I use this trick for most of my painting. It helps with the presentation as well if it´s a commission because I always make the cardboard a little bigger so it looks nicely framed. I use white, black, or color for the cardboard backing depending on the painting. Try it out, it´s pretty useful for lots of mediums.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
A round brush should be holding a point, even if it's pretty large right? I'm guessing it's my fault for de-stiffening it by running it under the sink but this one splits into multiple points when dry/medium wet and some of the outer hairs are bent out. I haven't even painted with the thing yet :c

(I promise to actually post art the next time I post in here)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

A round brush should be holding a point, even if it's pretty large right? I'm guessing it's my fault for de-stiffening it by running it under the sink but this one splits into multiple points when dry/medium wet and some of the outer hairs are bent out. I haven't even painted with the thing yet :c

(I promise to actually post art the next time I post in here)

Yeah. A round brush that cant hold a point is not a good round. Running it under the sink shouldn't have ruined it though unless the water was like all the way on or something maybe. Smashing the bristles with your fingers (gently squeezing the sides of it to get water/paint out is okay), painting with it too roughly (like smashing it point first into the canvas), letting it sit bristles down in your water cup/mineral spirits or just letting paint dry on it could hurt it though especially if you make a habit of that kind of treatment.

And some brushes are just made poorly even from otherwise good companies, it just happens sometimes. That might have been what happened to you.

If you are in an art store that provides water ( most of the major ones like Jerry's will) there is a test you can do for rounds. Remove the glue with the water gently, then tap the metal part of the brush firmly against your wrist while the bristles are still wet. If your brush is a good brush, this will cause it to instantly form a perfect point. If it fails to do this, or it kinda does this but lots of hairs are fraying out or something then you know you have a bad brush.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 20, 2014

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Some sketches. I got a Prismacolor Premier color pencil (black) in the mail and I'm very pleased with how deep it is compared to the Faber Castell Polychromos Black. It smears less easily, which can be a benefit and a disadvantage depending on your intentions. The Faber Castell Albrecht Durer is slightly deeper black but when water/liquid goes over it it will become darker and more permanent as it seeps into the fiber.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Decided to draw this. Based on a picture of myself. I started drawing like a week or 2 ago, after being too impatient to get into the hobby for all my life.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New stuff. There's more where this came from.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

Woah - what kind of pen? That's some crazy detail!

Thanks. I used a Hunt 102 Crowquill with Black Magic ink for much of it, and for some of the smaller fur detail I used a regular old Uniball Roller pen. I "erased" details like her whiskers out of the black parts with a white Sakura Gelly Roll pen, those are awesome.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Does anyone here have experience with monoprinting and dry point? I want to get back into making prints but I have to use whatever is safe and available at home (no more nice presses and spray boxes for me :( ). I saw some people discussing plexiglass dry point which seemed pretty rad, and then I was thinking of doing some painting directly onto glass.

I have experience with screen printing and lithography, but I got some Q's:

I don't recall ever soaking my paper for lithography, but it looks like you have to for dry point, right?

As far as inks go, is there some type I'm supposed to use? I remember we had some pretty thick inks for lithography and we would add a solvent to it to make it thinner, but gently caress if I remember what it was. For screenprinting I mostly used textile pigments and thickened dyes, so thats not much help. Can I use regular acrylics or gouache or something?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone here have experience with monoprinting and dry point? I want to get back into making prints but I have to use whatever is safe and available at home (no more nice presses and spray boxes for me :( ). I saw some people discussing plexiglass dry point which seemed pretty rad, and then I was thinking of doing some painting directly onto glass.

I have experience with screen printing and lithography, but I got some Q's:

I don't recall ever soaking my paper for lithography, but it looks like you have to for dry point, right?

As far as inks go, is there some type I'm supposed to use? I remember we had some pretty thick inks for lithography and we would add a solvent to it to make it thinner, but gently caress if I remember what it was. For screenprinting I mostly used textile pigments and thickened dyes, so thats not much help. Can I use regular acrylics or gouache or something?

I haven't done monoprinting but I'd imagine plain old acrylics might dry too fast on you unadulterated (although there are extenders, right?) But, yeah, any intaglio process needs damp paper to help suck the ink out of the grooves.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

dupersaurus posted:

I haven't done monoprinting but I'd imagine plain old acrylics might dry too fast on you unadulterated (although there are extenders, right?) But, yeah, any intaglio process needs damp paper to help suck the ink out of the grooves.

I didn't even think of drying time. I have oils somewhere, and I love them but they're truly a pain in the butt, especially in my tiny apartment. I'll just suck it up and get some ink.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
Crossposting from the Goonmail thread. I made some Cryptid-themed holiday cards (Cryptidsmas) to send to folks over there and I'm still super pleased with them, so I figured I'd stick them here too.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Shnooks posted:

I didn't even think of drying time. I have oils somewhere, and I love them but they're truly a pain in the butt, especially in my tiny apartment. I'll just suck it up and get some ink.
I saw a demo a few weeks ago of monoprinting with these gelatin plates (http://www.gelliarts.com/) and slow-drying acrylic paint (Golden OPEN). It looked amazing.
Here is a video of same:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jwo0vBTG68

You don't need a press because the plate is squishy. :dance: Chicken optional.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sketch thing to get back into practice since it's been a long time since I drew anything. Feels good man.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

TheAbominableSnow posted:

Crossposting from the Goonmail thread. I made some Cryptid-themed holiday cards (Cryptidsmas) to send to folks over there and I'm still super pleased with them, so I figured I'd stick them here too.

These are all wonderful, but for whatever reason the Flatwoods Monster really sticks out to me. Great work. Gonna be some happy goons getting those.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I've been doing a lot of charcoal drawing lately. I'm slipping more and more into abstraction and gesture. I'm just going with it for now.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I am a manchild.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
More work on the paintings.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So I painted this without reference

idnwiad.jpg

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I went a while without painting, and recently I've been trying to get back into it. I'm hoping if I post some stuff here while I'm working on it, I'll actually finish some of the darn things.
Here is one I'm currently working on for practice:

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Another project from watercolor class.

Probably one of the scariest things I've painted so far. Watercolor never ceases to unnerve me.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Trying out these new airbrush paints: the Createx Illustration colors. They’re pretty badass. For one thing they flow much better in my Iwata Neo CW with it’s 0.35 mm nozzle. What a difference. I didn't realize how significant the thickness was just in terms of how big the pigment particles are. The more "regular" paints are much more finicky and not working good. Looking forward to doing more stuff.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

Trying out these new airbrush paints: the Createx Illustration colors. They’re pretty badass. For one thing they flow much better in my Iwata Neo CW with it’s 0.35 mm nozzle. What a difference. I didn't realize how significant the thickness was just in terms of how big the pigment particles are. The more "regular" paints are much more finicky and not working good. Looking forward to doing more stuff.

could you post a detail shot of the skull? i love those teeth

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Made a couch man. I started drawing a couch, then decided to try to make a man sitting on it. It's still difficult for me to give things dimensions, like the man itself took me a while and I'm not entire happy with the result.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

a hole-y ghost posted:

could you post a detail shot of the skull? i love those teeth

Sure thing. Thank you!
I worked on it some more, not sure if it's for the better or not; yet.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

Sure thing. Thank you!
I worked on it some more, not sure if it's for the better or not; yet.

Thanks! Great texture on the skull!
The bone on the left feels a little odd to me though, like it's on the same plane as the skull (owing to the similar value + contrast level) and just barely about to touch it.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

a hole-y ghost posted:

Thanks! Great texture on the skull!
The bone on the left feels a little odd to me though, like it's on the same plane as the skull (owing to the similar value + contrast level) and just barely about to touch it.

Thanks, I'll fiddle with it some more. I've still got a lot to learn.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Well, here's what came out. I enjoyed it. It was very educational; I see there is a long way before me with these techniques but the results are already very pleasing.

Details:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team Lunch
Nov 4, 2009
I was inspired by TheAbominableSnow to try and draw a wendigo:

White color pencils are fun.