Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Sorry for making one big crew to unite everybody under. The crew is just to find players, it doesn't stop you from being in other crews and doing your own thing. Also if you want to Sticky Bomb me buy an Xbox One and make sure you play during prime GMT hours.

If you or anybody wants to change something about the crew then just tell me and depending how much support it gets from the thread I'll make it happen. I've taken suggestions from Duke Chin regarding crew ranks before and I'll take suggestions from anybody.

I though you were serious until I got to the part where you told people to buy a bone, that's where you came on too strong and revealed the troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
lol ♪"i'm so bonelyyyy"♫

also

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Sorry for making one big crew to unite everybody under. The crew is just to find players, it doesn't stop you from being in other crews and doing your own thing.

tbh you'be been pretty quick to jump in with, "ACTUALLY ALL OTHER CREWS ARE DEFUNCT PLEASE DIRECT YOUR rear end TO NEW CREW THREAD" before, but nobody is picking bones here :)

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Hugh Malone posted:

lol ♪"i'm so bonelyyyy"♫

also

tbh you'be been pretty quick to jump in with, "ACTUALLY ALL OTHER CREWS ARE DEFUNCT PLEASE DIRECT YOUR rear end TO NEW CREW THREAD" before, but nobody is picking bones here :)

They kinda are though - I play on the regular and never, ever saw Mountain Crew people on the PS3. Really - a lot of you guys that play regular use different crews but I never changed from Mountain and it was impossible to find crew members.

Even on the PS4 with the crew-matching all screwy I get dumped into lobbies with LLJK all the time. It's just easier to have one crew for those of us that want to play with people and be as "productive" as one can be in a video game. :rolleye:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Every time I boot the game up on PS4 I routinely run into like 5 or 6 LLJKs and I bump into them all the time in random match making. It's nice.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Every time I boot the game up on PS4 I routinely run into like 5 or 6 LLJKs and I bump into them all the time in random match making. It's nice.

Ive had plenty of sessions start off with a quick 20 minute rampage across the map with a random LLJK without any kind of coordination or attempting to join a session with crew members on purpose, and that's on euro times where the bulk of us seem to be playing on a US schedule.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Christmas update is real, kinda? More info coming soon.

quote:

Because we need a little time to get Heists right, we are going to give you a small Christmas gift to keep you entertained until we are done with them.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

So...heists are delayed again essentially. I'm not bashing them for it - it's just funny. They announced that heists will be out with the first DLC update just a couple weeks ago - now they are going back on that already.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I like the open threat of "buy shark cards or we stop developing extra content" for a game that has done over $2bn in revenue so far.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Kelly posted:

So...heists are delayed again essentially. I'm not bashing them for it - it's just funny. They announced that heists will be out with the first DLC update just a couple weeks ago - now they are going back on that already.

Maybe, but not necessarily. Last year the Christmas snow wasn't a patch or DLC at all, it was entirely server side.

"Not to worry, you will be able to transfer your Online characters and progress from any of the four consoles (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 or Xbox One) to the PC platform. To be clear, if you transfer or have already transferred your progress from PS3 or Xbox 360 to either PS4 or Xbox One, then you will still be able to do another transfer again from PS4 or Xbox One to PC. We have updated the detailed transfer information article at Rockstar Support to account for this."

gently caress yeah.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 17, 2014

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Reply is not Edit.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

BitBasher posted:

Maybe, but not necessarily. Last year the Christmas snow wasn't a patch or DLC at all, it was entirely server side.

"Not to worry, you will be able to transfer your Online characters and progress from any of the four consoles (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 or Xbox One) to the PC platform. To be clear, if you transfer or have already transferred your progress from PS3 or Xbox 360 to either PS4 or Xbox One, then you will still be able to do another transfer again from PS4 or Xbox One to PC. We have updated the detailed transfer information article at Rockstar Support to account for this."

gently caress yeah.

To be fair, most people are stupid like me and don't realize that last Christmas wasn't technically a DLC.

Thaxxas
Dec 17, 2010
I had already quit by last Christmas. I'm having much more fun this time around. Bring on the snow or whatever.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Kelly posted:

To be fair, most people are stupid like me and don't realize that last Christmas wasn't technically a DLC.

It was neat, if you were logged in when they turned it on, it went from clear one second to BAM SNOW EVERYWHERE the next second right when you were driving. Same thing in reverse when it was over.

It's a crazy amount of detail to turn on for two days a year and have on the disk.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

BitBasher posted:

It was neat, if you were logged in when they turned it on, it went from clear one second to BAM SNOW EVERYWHERE the next second right when you were driving. Same thing in reverse when it was over.

It's a crazy amount of detail to turn on for two days a year and have on the disk.

What time did that actually happen? I'd love to bear witness to the changeover.
Also, I really liked the snow last year, but wish it lasted a little longer than it did.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Kelly posted:

At the very least they'll know what's good for them and release a shitload of new weapons.

Including making the molotov buyable. Hopefully some kind of high powered handgun. I'd love a .357/.44/.45 colt (I would totally not be surprised if they released an old fashioned revolver) or something. High penetration and knocks anything with legs on its rear end even if it doesn't kill it. That would actually make for a fun deathmatch weapon when I think about it.

At least some kind of high powered weapon that isn't a shotgun and doesn't have a scope. Hell, I'd settle for being able to take the scope off the marksman rifle.

Also do people play RPG only deathmatches? I've only ever played 2 and they're the best.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 17, 2014

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

If they don't want to fragment the player base, then what's the point of limited time dlc? Why lock out cool weapons like the tommy gun???

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
To get people to come back and buy shark cards.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 17, 2014

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
The DLC which they offer wouldn't fragment the player base anyway so their point is completely invalid. The only reason Rockstar sell Shark Cards is to pad out their profits during the middle of a development life-cycle because everything they offer is for free, but for some reason they chose to negate the truth.

Are there any accurate/reliable figures available which either show how much money Rockstar has made from selling Shark Cards or how many of them have been sold?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

This comment on Reddit was the best:

quote:

“What is the point of Shark Cards, apart from to make you greedy bastards lots of money?” – Tim (via Mouthoff)

The reason we included optional in-game currency in Grand Theft Auto Online, rather than directly selling DLC, was because it was the only way that we could distribute DLC without dividing the player base each time we brought out a new content pack, which would destroy the online community very quickly by splitting players up. >Thanks to Shark Cards, we have been able to give away every piece of DLC so far for free in order to keep the community whole and give people options as to whether they want to earn new content by playing the game, buy new content with Shark Cards or simply don’t get new content and still keep playing the game.

quote:

I'm really happy they addressed this. I always felt this was the reason for shark cards. I've bought them twice because of this. I only bought them when they were 50% off though, because I've already bought the game twice. They have enough of my money for now.

If he is being sincere, that dude right there is why Shark Cards will always be A Thing in GTA Online. I don't get that line of thinking in gaming - I've never spent a penny on a game outside of the initial purchase - it is bad enough I have to pay to be part of PSN to get online play access.

FallinInTheBlak posted:

The DLC which they offer wouldn't fragment the player base anyway so their point is completely invalid. The only reason Rockstar sell Shark Cards is to pad out their profits during the middle of a development life-cycle because everything they offer is for free, but for some reason they chose to negate the truth.

Are there any accurate/reliable figures available which either show how much money Rockstar has made from selling Shark Cards or how many of them have been sold?

To your point, they absolutely couldn't have framed their DLC like that anyway. Knowing they were coming out with a next-gen verison, they would have eaten it on any DLC sales metrics for last-gen consoles. Who is going to buy anything for last-gen knowing next gen is on its way...AND on its way during the holidays?

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 17, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

FallinInTheBlak posted:

I have never seen anything of the sort. I wish to see this information as well.

If I have a totally pimped out ride I like to think of the fact that I earned it through exploits in game. If I wanted to gently caress around in a pimped out ride for no reason I'd just play single player. Everything you own online has that baggage attached to it and that makes it all the more special. I'd imagine anything I bought with real money would feel worthless.

But I could care less about how rockstar makes its money. If people don't feel like it's an empty thing to buy in game currency let them do it. Just means free stuff for me I would have bought anyway.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 17, 2014

titties
May 10, 2012

Kelly posted:

Whoever linked the heist reveal trailer and IGN article pointed out that the timeframe was now "early 2015" which as we all know means next september

Kelly posted:

same

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

NeoSeeker posted:

I have never seen anything of the sort. I wish to see this information as well.

In Q4 of last year they made quite a bit of money from Shark Cards (part of which was during the billions and billions) so they actually missed their forecast by 30+ million, disappointing their investors.

This is from end of January 2014:

http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zh...6337&highlight=

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...-gta-sales.html

quote:

Analyst Michael Olson commented that GTA Online was not, "monetizing at as high a rate as some expected." Indeed, investors on the company's conference call asked about plans for catching up on earnings lost during the online mode's tricky opening month.

132.8m in microtransactions (this did not meet estimates of $170-200m). That's ~6.64m $20 Shark Cards sold :stonklol:

They estimated 70% of 32.5m GTA5 buyers have played online (22.75m).

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Yeah, the DLC response was complete bullshit. For a game like Forza, technically you get every DLC for free, but you have to pay to unlock its content for your own personal use. R* probably couldn't figure out the correct model for it. Forza, for example, you can buy a 5 pack of cars for $5. GTA could be the same way, and include the weapons and the clothes for each pack. Instead their business analysts said, "we'll dump all this content out there for them then charge them $20 US for an Adder.

I might pay $20 if I could steal other players' vehicles permanently.

PremiumBlend
Jun 12, 2002

We did it little buddy...

geeves posted:

Yeah, the DLC response was complete bullshit. For a game like Forza, technically you get every DLC for free, but you have to pay to unlock its content for your own personal use. R* probably couldn't figure out the correct model for it. Forza, for example, you can buy a 5 pack of cars for $5. GTA could be the same way, and include the weapons and the clothes for each pack. Instead their business analysts said, "we'll dump all this content out there for them then charge them $20 US for an Adder.

I might pay $20 if I could steal other players' vehicles permanently.
You would rather Rockstar force people to actually buy content like cars and clothes for real money, rather than selling shark cards to morons who want them and let everyone else buy the cars and clothes using in game money you earn just for playing? I have 2 garages full of upgraded cars that cost me nothing but in game money. With your plan, I would likely have whatever cars they give you for free, and a default set of clothes. But hey, at least they wouldn't be selling shark cards anymore!

Also, if you have to pay to unlock content for your own personal use, it is not free, as in your Forza example. the "free" part is compatibility, not crashing because someone else is using DLC that you don't own.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
What would be cool is if you could sell personal cars for, like, up to $9k to Simeon at the docks. It'd be completely optional to the player based on the car access--if you don't want someone stealing and selling your car, just change its access options. I for one wouldn't mind chasing someone down with my car as long as I can just call insurance afterward if I don't catch them.

I guess the problem with this is the Mechanic delivery feature (and maybe the tired "R* is against fun" argument). If someone has my car halfway across the map and I call for a different personal ride, I don't know what would happen to that first stolen personal vehicle.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

They make a good point as to why they decided upon shark cards rather than selling DLC the normal way.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

titties posted:

The 2nd Occasional Johnny Klebitz Memorial Motorcycle Run & Meth Cook-off
3.) <maybe> TheDarkFlame (PSN: FlamingDarkness)

Yep, I'm definitely off tomorrow, so I'm definitely up for this. And I've been up since 7am, so expect my driving to start off worse than usual and continue downwards. Last place, every race! Let's do this! Uh, also, how soon is this?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Me and 3 of my friends are trying to grind RP. The highest ranking of us is 40, what's the most RP efficient job(s) for us to run?

titties
May 10, 2012

titties posted:

The 2nd Occasional Johnny Klebitz Memorial Motorcycle Run & Meth Cook-off

Quote this post to secure your slot (lol there are like 5 of us)

1.) titties (PSN: mr_dread)
2.) BitBasher returns from last-gen retirement! (requested race not available on PS3)
3.) <maybe> TheDarkFlame (PSN: FlamingDarkness)
4.) Zenzizenzizenzic (PSN: Otiosely) [Clowning Around]
5.) Tony SpaZ (PSN: Tony_SpaZ)
6.) The Fresh Prince (PSN: fresh420bonersmith)
7.) Hugh Malone (PSN: Malakai713) [As The Crow Flies]
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.)
14.)
15.)
16.)

TheDarkFlame posted:

Yep, I'm definitely off tomorrow, so I'm definitely up for this. And I've been up since 7am, so expect my driving to start off worse than usual and continue downwards. Last place, every race! Let's do this! Uh, also, how soon is this?

Invites will go out in 1 hour.

We'll start with the run. Everyone will grab a motorcycle and meet up at the docks. Once we're assembled we'll have the opening ceremony (by which I mean I will fire a single firework). The run goes up the PCH to Stab City, where we'll kill everyone. We'll then take the valley route back to the city where we will crash the server with one billion cop cars on the map.

After that there'll be a short 5-race playlist. Hopefully all of the races can be completed on motorcycles.

Missions / more races to follow depending on interest.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

titties posted:

We'll start with the run. Everyone will grab a motorcycle and meet up at the docks. Once we're assembled we'll have the opening ceremony (by which I mean I will fire a single firework). The run goes up the PCH to Stab City, where we'll kill everyone. We'll then take the valley route back to the city where we will crash the server with one billion cop cars on the map.

After that there'll be a short 5-race playlist. Hopefully all of the races can be completed on motorcycles.

FYI I'm getting off work now, may be on a few minutes late.

titties
May 10, 2012

BitBasher posted:

FYI I'm getting off work now, may be on a few minutes late.

no sweat, it usually takes at least 20 minutes for everyone to gather

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

StickFigs posted:

Me and 3 of my friends are trying to grind RP. The highest ranking of us is 40, what's the most RP efficient job(s) for us to run?

races are pretty good for RP. You want it to be at least 4 minutes I think. I have no idea when any jobs unlock so I don't even know what you have at 40 but the new payout normalizes cash and RP so just do whatever.

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums
Did they sort out turbo yet?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kelly posted:

If he is being sincere, that dude right there is why Shark Cards will always be A Thing in GTA Online. I don't get that line of thinking in gaming - I've never spent a penny on a game outside of the initial purchase - it is bad enough I have to pay to be part of PSN to get online play access.

People spend their money on stupid frivolous poo poo all the time. I remember i used to be into Paintball, and holy poo poo is that an expensive hobby.

titties
May 10, 2012

titties posted:

Invites are up!

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums

Kelly posted:

Ok so you can see it two ways - one, that people can spend money to get an advantage in-game.

Or, two, some people's jobs take up a lot of their time, and the little they have left they want to spend hanging out, at the pub, kicking back with housemates/SOs/kids, and want to spend the precious time they get to play GTA having fun with friends racing and loving about as opposed to grinding up money. And at the same time, it puts more in R*'s pockets so they give everyone free DLC and have motivation to keep supporting it.

Besides, even with an average job it's a far more efficient use of time to spend a precious hour of your life working and buying a shark card, than spending an hour grinding up cash to blow on stupid fake internet poo poo. What's the point of logging on to a game to effectively work when playing them should be about fun.

The only real commodity is time, and you're wasting it either way.

*sorry if that was incohesive, I edited it a bunch because I'm knackered from work.

Rat Supremacy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 18, 2014

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Psion posted:

races are pretty good for RP. You want it to be at least 4 minutes I think. I have no idea when any jobs unlock so I don't even know what you have at 40 but the new payout normalizes cash and RP so just do whatever.

What's this about normalization?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Holy poo poo I didn't realize just how much better the PS4 version ran until I fired up the PS3 for this. God drat. It's a MASSIVE pile of little things that add up immensely.

Rat Supremacy posted:

Did they sort out turbo yet?

Noooop

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 18, 2014

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Rat Supremacy posted:

Ok so you can see it two ways - one, that people can spend money to get an advantage in-game.

Or, two, some people's jobs take up a lot of their time, and the little they have left they want to spend hanging out, at the pub, kicking back with housemates/SOs/kids, and want to spend the precious time they get to play GTA having fun with friends racing and loving about as opposed to grinding up money. And at the same time, it puts more in R*'s pockets so they give everyone free DLC and have motivation to keep supporting it.

Besides, even with an average job it's a far more efficient use of time to spend a precious hour of your life working and buying a shark card, than spending an hour grinding up cash to blow on stupid fake internet poo poo. What's the point of logging on to a game to effectively work when playing them should be about fun.

The only real commodity is time, and you're wasting it either way.

*sorry if that was incohesive, I edited it a bunch because I'm knackered from work.

I don't disagree, but games are very expensive - I just can't support the bullshit in-game expenditures. And that's from top to bottom, Candy Crush to GTA.

I doubt that Shark Cards are paying for much of anything - check out the numbers people posted up thread. They can "afford" to push the DLCs regardless of how they sell. If they had these DLCs planned based on the projected earnings of the Shark Cards then someone at Rockstar HQ has some explaining to do.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 18, 2014

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Where are all you bastards anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe
RIP to those who died.

• Locked thread